Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.2 D-4d Common Rail Diesel Tuning Box,

Haylands

Hi

I put this in the Workshop section but it seems no one looks in there by the number of hits it had, so I thought I'd put it here.... may help someone.

I have a 2.2 D-4D SR Verso (136bhp model)

I was looking around and saw lots of adverts for tuning boxes to raise the BHP and Torque and wondered if they were any good, anyway after much searching I found one on eBay for £102.95 delivered so I thought I would give it a go, the seller had excellent feedback and had refunded others who it had not worked for. They say they work by increasing the fuel to use up extra air in the combustion.

Anyway it turned up just before xmas but the plug on the lead that came with it was wrong, I emailed the seller and sent a picture of the plug that is on my car and he immediately sent the right one, I fitted it just over a week ago now and have done about 400miles since....

Well I am seriously impressed, the car feels much smoother all the time, the throttle responce has also increased...

As for performance, well they claim it raises the bhp from 136bhp to 163bhp and the torque from 300nm to 350nm. I think they are about right. The car is noticably quicker all the way through the rev range, even from very low, off boost, revs. There is no smoke on full throttle. I timed the car from 40-60mph in third gear, ie drive at a constant 40mph then floor it and time how long it takes to get to 60mph, well standard was 5.2 secs, with the box it has dropped to 4.17 secs, just over a second quicker. (when I say "I" timed it I wasn't driving and timing, a mate did the timing) It was on the same piece of road in the same direction. We did it twice and both runs gave very similar times.

As you can imagine the first 100miles was spent trying out the extra power and the mpg dropped from the usual 38 down to 36, I then started behaving and driving it more normally, with the odd spirited moment, and it's now doing about 40mpg, so their claim of better mileage seems to be true as well.

Anyway I would have been happy to pay the money just for the increase in smoothness and all round feel so I am well chuffed and can recommend them to anyone. There are loads of people selling them and all claiming the same increase so I guess they are very similar. The prices ranged from £105 to nearly £400 so you have to pick the right one. The one I got came from a seller who says he is in Germany on eBay, the parcel came from Bulgaria so I guess he is drop shipping them....

It is very easy to fit, apparently is not recorded by the ecu and can be removed with no tools in about 2 mins...

This is what you get for your money, the lead is very well made with a moulded "T" piece and what look like OE plugs. The box is made from aluminium and is tough.

07012009094.jpg

First job to do is pull off the engine cover, it just pulls straight up, set it to one side and look for the plug behind the power steering resevoir, its got three wires going to it one yellow, one blue and one red.

07012009095.jpg

Now remove this plug, look at the plug on the supplied lead to see which bit to press to release it.

07012009096.jpg

Now you have the plug removed just plug the two plugs from the supplied lead in, one to the lead and the other to the car.

07012009097.jpg

Thats it, job done. I used a couple of cable ties to fix the box to the inner wing, nice and high and out of the way of water and too much heat, then used a couple more ties to fix the wireing and refitted the engine cover, just line up the oil filler and dipstick and push it back into place.

I thought this would be a waste of money, but you never know unless you try, well I've tried it and it's excellent.

Pete

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Haylands

• Parts-King

• *Rich*

• wastedagen

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What difference does the extra power make to wear and tear on the clutch and gearbox?

Hi

The clutch and gearbox are the same as in the T180 so they are designed to handle the extra power, in any case the thing which breaks them would be the instant transfer of torque, ie shock loading, with a turbo the extra torque is brought on smoothly as the engine revs rise. A survey was done a while ago which showed that even a spirited driver will use full throttle for only 5% of the time. Obviously there will be some reduction in longevity of components but it should be minimal.

Pete

Hi,

Any chance you could let us know the guys name that you bought it off, I had something similar fitted to a previous car and was very impressed by it.

Trev

Hi,

Any chance you could let us know the guys name that you bought it off, I had something similar fitted to a previous car and was very impressed by it.

Trev

Trev

I don't like putting links to eBay adverts on a forum as in 90 days they have gone, if you do an eBay search for "CHIP TUNING CHIP BOX for TOYOTA " this is in the title and if he is still selling them then it should come up, the seller is called "tasosis" and he states he is in Germany but like I said the item came from Bulgaria, for the next 90days you can see it here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CHIP-TUNING-CHIP-BOX...A1%7C240%3A1318

He is accepting offers and the lowest he would take when I bought was £95.

Pete

Hi,

Trev

Trev

I don't like putting links to eBay adverts on a forum as in 90 days they have gone, if you do an eBay search for "CHIP TUNING CHIP BOX for TOYOTA " this is in the title and if he is still selling them then it should come up, the seller is called "tasosis" and he states he is in Germany but like I said the item came from Bulgaria, for the next 90days you can see it here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CHIP-TUNING-CHIP-BOX...A1%7C240%3A1318

He is accepting offers and the lowest he would take when I bought was £95.

Pete

Thanks for the report and the photos. Getting our Verso ('06 06 2.2 TR) a week Thursday and have been looking at these. For the price I might well give it a go. Cheers!

Stuart

Thanks for the report and the photos. Getting our Verso ('06 06 2.2 TR) a week Thursday and have been looking at these. For the price I might well give it a go. Cheers!

Stuart

Stuart,

Hi and welcome to the club

I think you will like it, mine seems to get better and better, the car feels much smoother than it did, not that it was that bad before but it's very good now.

"For the price I might well give it a go" is exactly how I felt and I was proved right.

Hope it works for you, let others know on here how you get on.

Pete

Stuart

Stuart,

Hi and welcome to the club

I think you will like it, mine seems to get better and better, the car feels much smoother than it did, not that it was that bad before but it's very good now.

"For the price I might well give it a go" is exactly how I felt and I was proved right.

Hope it works for you, let others know on here how you get on.

Pete

Will do. Get the car a week today. Will run it for a couple of weeks to get a feel as standard then order a box and see how it goes. I noted on test drive the current owner is averaging 37mpg. I think that is mainly urban and suburban rather than motorways. I was hoping to see better than that on our daily commute. (I did used to post on here some time ago as D-4DStu when I had a Yaris but for some reason the forum wouldn't accept my old password, then wouldn't accept the new password it gave me, then wouldn't let me sign up with the same email address but a different name...in the end I started from scratch, with a different email address!)

From the pictures you have supplied Pete, this fits to the fuel pressure regulator, correct? If it is, then it is not the micro processor controlled type we spoke of last week, it will be a resistor type that is not mapped in any way. I would exercise some caution in fitting this type (long term)

Kingo :thumbsup:

Will do. Get the car a week today. Will run it for a couple of weeks to get a feel as standard then order a box and see how it goes. I noted on test drive the current owner is averaging 37mpg. I think that is mainly urban and suburban rather than motorways. I was hoping to see better than that on our daily commute. (I did used to post on here some time ago as D-4DStu when I had a Yaris but for some reason the forum wouldn't accept my old password, then wouldn't accept the new password it gave me, then wouldn't let me sign up with the same email address but a different name...in the end I started from scratch, with a different email address!)

Hi

Mine is now showing 41.8mpg in mainly urban/suburban driving.... and I don't hang about!!! That's up nearly 4mpg over the old figure (my cars only done 3000 miles so it will probably be getting better anyway as the engine loosens up)

From the pictures you have supplied Pete, this fits to the fuel pressure regulator, correct? If it is, then it is not the micro processor controlled type we spoke of last week, it will be a resistor type that is not mapped in any way. I would exercise some caution in fitting this type (long term)

Kingo

It fits onto the direct injection fuel rail, what this does I don't know....

My mate was impressed with the before and after so I have ordered him one for his 406 HDi and I asked the seller what was inside it, his reply was "You can open the tuning box and you can see what is in it!!!" so I did and this is what I found;

It is an extruded aluminium box with two detachable ends that are fully rubber sealed, it is kept together by star drive capped screws.

22012009122.jpg

22012009123.jpg

To my untrained eye (I'm better with mechanics than electronics) it does look like it is a microprocessor controlled device with jumper pins for calibration....

Any thoughts please let me know

Pete

My guess is that it's a PIC; a single chip computer made by Microchip Technology Inc. They are terrifically useful little devices, very cheap to buy and easy to program. I've used them a couple of times when I wanted to make a small, cheap, low power consumption circuit with real-time performance. I'd estimate the cost of the components in that box at no more than £5. Of course, it's the code the processor runs that matters and it's that IP you're paying for...

My guess is that it's a PIC; a single chip computer made by Microchip Technology Inc. They are terrifically useful little devices, very cheap to buy and easy to program. I've used them a couple of times when I wanted to make a small, cheap, low power consumption circuit with real-time performance. I'd estimate the cost of the components in that box at no more than £5. Of course, it's the code the processor runs that matters and it's that IP you're paying for...

Hi

Thanks for that, bit over my head, does that mean it's a resistor type or is it a micro processor controlled type?

Cheers

Pete

Well that certainly looks micro processor controlled, particularly if it has jumper pins to adjust power. Have you tried moving them? They are usually set to a zero default, you might get some more power or MPG out of it :lol:

Well that certainly looks micro processor controlled, particularly if it has jumper pins to adjust power. Have you tried moving them? They are usually set to a zero default, you might get some more power or MPG out of it :lol:

Hi

I had to pluck up a lot of courage to open it..... touching it is another thing and as for moving something.... well I've come out in a cold sweat just thinking about it!!!!

Pete

Hi there everyone, I am new to toyotas had a mondeo as my last car. Interested in installing a tuning box to my 2.2 d-4-d verso 136bhp came across this what do you all think

http://www.racechip.de/racechip-chiptuning...6363oosv1hdeqn5

all comments appreciated :)

They look identical to the parts the Haylands (Pete) is running, even more so if you watch the fitting guide. Provided they dont register on the ECU then they are a bargain IMO, more power and MPG and plug in and play means easy removal when the car needs a service :thumbsup: .

Hi there everyone, I am new to toyotas had a mondeo as my last car. Interested in installing a tuning box to my 2.2 d-4-d verso 136bhp came across this what do you all think

Hi

Seems just like my one but it's a bit more money, the guy I got mine from is reliable and my one has been tested by me and works.....

eBay item number 350154327119 if you want one....

Well worth it whatever you decide, also there are two different looms used on our cars, check to see if your plug has 3 or 6 wires going to it to make sure you get the right one.

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Seems just like my one but it's a bit more money, the guy I got mine from is reliable and my one has been tested by me and works.....

eBay item number 350154327119 if you want one....

Well worth it whatever you decide, also there are two different looms used on our cars, check to see if your plug has 3 or 6 wires going to it to make sure you get the right one.

Pete

Just bought one for my Auris SR 180, and the comments are posted in that forum, very impressed, oh, and the Auris SR 180 uses the six wire version.

Identical fitting to the E-Bay one that I have, with the exception that on the Auris SR 180 you also connect a live and negative to the Battery.

The E-Bay one also states that the item is made in Germany same as the Racechip one.

Been running mine for a few days now, and it just gets better by the day.

@ Haylands

Hi, I read you review and come to the conclusion that I want a piece of the action too. But i have one question, my engine has a slightly different layout and my power steering reservoir is in a different location. can you confirm that this is the correct plug to remove and attach the 'box of tricks' to.

dsc00484by8.jpg

with 3 wires:

dsc00487xb1.jpg

If these are indeed the right ones i'm gonna put in an offer.

Also any chance you could give me a rough idea of the measurements. I need to make a mock up box out of paper/card and see if I can find a place to hide it in the engine bay. the one place i would stick it already has ballast for my lights.

Thanks in advance.

Hi

Sorry been away for a few days, yes thats the plug, I'll measure the box tomorrow and post the size up then

Pete

Hi

Sorry been away for a few days, yes thats the plug, I'll measure the box tomorrow and post the size up then

Pete

Thanks Pete, but I've already ordered it so no need for measurements. I appreciate it though. I'm just gonna have to find a place for it when it gets fitted. :thumbsup:

Hate to sound like a spoilsport but have any of you mentioned these modifications to your insurance company? If not, you could well find yourself with a rejected claim. I wouldn't bet on Toyota honouring the warranty either after you've made your own modifications to the engine.

Hate to sound like a spoilsport but have any of you mentioned these modifications to your insurance company? If not, you could well find yourself with a rejected claim. I wouldn't bet on Toyota honouring the warranty either after you've made your own modifications to the engine.

Yeah doing it tomorrow, and if they do indeed come back with a silly quote then I will way it up and may end up removing it.

Yeah doing it tomorrow, and if they do indeed come back with a silly quote then I will way it up and may end up removing it.

Price they quoted me

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links