Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bovs ...

Jimlad

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jimlad

• Bibbs

• KiwiMR2

• nick_mcuk

:angry: .......I don't know how many times the same thread has to be posted......if you do a search you will see this same post like 3 times in the last 2 weeks.......JUST DO IT!! there's more people saying it WILL PROBABLY work fine than not.....and there are half a dozen bov's that have been reccomended and confirmed to work fine, pick one and DO IT!!

KiwiMR2

The digital BOVs are from a company called Night Pager.

Easier to fit, won't mess anything up in your engine... will sound exactly the same.

Digital BOV???

Please tell me you are joking :eek: The BOV is there to serve a purpose - stopping compressor stall, the noise is simply a side effect.

Very Max Power IMO

I wouldn't touch one, Jim said he wanted the noise, but didn't want it to harm his engine.

He has a turbo, so where's the problem?

It's not as if he's putting it on his clio, is it?

I wouldn't touch one, Jim said he wanted the noise, but didn't want it to harm his engine.

He has a turbo, so where's the problem?

It's not as if he's putting it on his clio, is it?

Do it properly or don't do it at all.

Many many people use vent to air DV's on rev 1 and 2 3S-GTE's I did so for a year without problems.

people say do it.. people say don't do it.... mmmm

I'll just go ahead and do it... then see what happens... :)

just a case of a company getting the MR2 specific mounting bits for the BOV. Will see what CRD says and if they have these. If not, will get from Envy.

just a case of a company getting the MR2 specific mounting bits for the BOV

So we know that TurboXS, HKS, & Blitz defintily do the mounting kits.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Ok os if its fine to add a BOV to a Rev 1/2 answer me this!

AFM measures air going into engine adjust fueling accordingly....you go to change gear for the sake of argument lets say at a moderate speed....BOV dumps air....so not there is a situation that metered air is being let out of the systems so less air means it runs rich....ecu sees this....goes spaz and leans the mixture off to a normal level.

All good and ok i hear you say....ahh but you come back on the gas and the car is still in the leaner state...nailing it on a lean mixture mmmm gotta be good...over time this detonation will cause engine failure.

As I have said before i have done testing on this on a RR and it is not good it takes an alarming ammount of time for the ECU to level its self out.

Also a vent to atmos BOV makes no significant diff to performance or health of the turbo there is a std one on there that does the job more than well enough in facy when it vents to atmos the car is less smoth between gears....

At the end of the day its your choice...but i would sugest youdont bother or if you do have it recirc so you have the blingage of the HKS//Blitz/Apexi what ever but the health of the std recirc.

NickM

before I do anything, I'll talk to my local Jap place to see what they suggest.

Yeah you could but the majority are gonna say yeah cos they want the sale!

Tell you what post it to the IMOC yahoo group and see what they say!

B)

I've ben running a vent to atmos for 2 years now .. and not noticed any problems ..

BUT - there are known problems with ALL AFM cars and vent to atmos BOV's ..

My car will be doing exaclty as nick_mcuk says .. but it may not be enough to cause pinking, it will be doing it ..

I'll be after a re-circ for the car if I go the high boost route ..

Also a vent to atmos BOV makes no significant diff to performance or health of the turbo there is a std one on there that does the job more than well enough in facy when it vents to atmos the car is less smoth between gears....

Word homey hehe. Its up to you Jimlad. Dont get me wrong I love the sound of a BOV and I never get sick of mine it sounds great. Every1 has a little ricer trying to get out inside and mines does when I hear 'Paaatiiish!!' hehe BUT the true definition of rice is modding your car to a level where it is detrimental to its wellbeing. Therefore what your planning on doing is rice at the more extreme level :ph34r:

And if you go to CRD or any sales based performance joint they will all say "yea it doesnt do anything..my mate has one on his blah blah" they are not experts at tuning they will lob you anything its their job. If you phone any rolling road tuner in the UK (in other words qualified people) and tell them you have an AFM and you want to run an atmoBOV, their engineer will tell you exactly what Mcuk and Bibbs is telling ye. Up to u m8 you wanna hear a sales pitch go to CRD or similar cos thats all youll get. :unsure:

I've ben running a vent to atmos for 2 years now .. and not noticed any problems ..

BUT - there are known problems with ALL AFM cars and vent to atmos BOV's ..

My car will be doing exaclty as nick_mcuk says .. but it may not be enough to cause pinking, it will be doing it ..

I'll be after a re-circ for the car if I go the high boost route ..

I agree 100%......I know for a fact my old Gen II which last time I heard has around 200,000 km's on it is STILL going hard (running anywhere from 13-15 psi) and has had an aftermarket bov fitted since around 160,000 km's. I yet to hear of anyone narrowing down the cause of faliure to the car to this either.

If you REALLY wanna do it properly get this:

http://www.performancemotorresearch.co.nz/about.html

I have mentioned the above before with no intrest......they even use a MR2 as a test case and show the results.

Car: 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo

Modifications: T04 compressor wheel, 3" custom downpipe, bored throttle body, MR2 Type III airbox lid (no Air Flow Meter).

mr2.jpg

Red line: Stock Air Flow Meter (stock 10 psi boost)

Blue line: MAP-ECU (stock 10 psi boost)

Note: Without the MAP-ECU there was virtually no gain in power over the completely stock configuration.

KiwiMR2

I am interested in this (been looking for something similar in the UK - with no joy) .. what the cost of one?

I am interested in this (been looking for something similar in the UK - with no joy) .. what the cost of one?

Do it properly with a MoTeC Bibbs!!

:P

so if I had a motec ( which I was looking at .... along with uprated Turbo etc etc ).

Would I then be able to get a BOV ??? lol ... extreme way to safely get a BOV... but hey.... :)

Not familiar with the unichip...but the noticable effects of the BOV venting to atmosphere with the AFM, is that the car feels boggy betwen shifts. Basically because it is running a bit rich. (fire can shoot out your exhaust as well...which could be cool i guess)

As for the HKS SSQ....i have it. If you buy the universal kit, you will have to have a fitting welded onto the IC piping...but if you buy the MR2 kit, just take off the old bypass valve, and connect the sSQ with 1 bolt and one hose. Your done. You can buy the recirculation kit for another $15 or so.

I've emailed the guy at Dastek UK LTD ( based in Fife.. how handy is that ?!?! )

He emailed me back about a few things, but awaiting the reply on fueling issues using a BOV with a AFM.

Oh.. and fire would be cool !!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links