Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

A New Record Mpg For The Sr180?

Djw John

I wnet on a 60 mile motorway trip in light traffic with cruise control set to 77mph. Livingston to Stirling and back again.

35mpg!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Absolute joke tbh, my 2.0 petrol Clio would easily get very high 30s to low 40s at the same speed and my fiancees megane coupe 1.6 would be closer to 50 from experience.

I knew before I got it that the 45.6 would be difficult to get and that the more you go over 56ish the lower the mpg gets but this is comparable to my Dads petrol freelander or my old 2.0 20v Fiat Marea. With the added joy of diesel also being more expensive!

Got to go to London soon, the last time we took the megane we got 47mpg average and tbh I rarely dropped below 80 the whole way there and back. So that journey cost (with petrol at 90p at the time £80 in petrol for the 840 mile round trip (plus some running about whilst there)

Now if I do the same in the Auris next month and get 35mpg its gonna cost about £110!!!!

So more than £30 extra for every 1000 miles I do :(

Tbh Im gutted Im stuck with this car for the next 3 years. :(:(:(

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Djw John

• Rick D4D

• cabcurtains

• OldSkoO1

Oh and yes Im aware that cruise control will use a bit more fuel than my right foot but I was genuinally expecting 50mpg at least. Its never gonna cut it by 15mpg. And aircon was off as well and tyres are all correctly inflated!

Oh and yes Im aware that cruise control will use a bit more fuel than my right foot but I was genuinally expecting 50mpg at least. Its never gonna cut it by 15mpg. And aircon was off as well and tyres are all correctly inflated!

That is low... Was it really cold?

Have you had the ECU re-flash if it was needed?

How many miles has your engine done? Is it run in?

If this carries on then go see your garage.

My colleague has an identical T180 to me and when he first had it wouldnt do more than 37mpg, no matter the driving conditions or style. He took it back and they reset his ECU. Since then its been much better.

I know the 2.2 (180) engine's economy is contentious, but it is more than capable of doing 40+ MPG on cruise at 77mpg. My last return journey to Leeds (470 miles round trip for me) achieved 42 MPG overall.

To answer your questions in order (;))

Nope it was 10 degrees, sunny and a little bit windy but obviously going back the same route negates wind and hills!

Nope, no reflash as its a Feb 09 car and its apparently not needed so wont be done.

Its now on 2800 miles and whilst I wouldnt say its loose its defo run in.

So far for each tank I've had mid 30s with a mix of motorway and town driving. I assumed the town driving was killing the mpg but clearly not! Might even be helping it!

My T180 has bone 18k now and we get on cruise control at 75mph 40-45mpg depending on the run but we get 40 easy, My GF gets 38mpg driving to work and back all week with an average speed over a tank of 22mph. I will say I also am a little disappointed as I thought we would get 50mpg on a run very easy but never got above 45mpg yet.

im only getting 39.5mpg on my 1.4 petrol. hightest iv ever been 41mpg, cant seem to get above 40mpg anymore!

I usually get 850 kilometers per ~50 liters of fuel. Which means ~17 kilometers per liter. And that means ~48MPG...

35MPG.... That's about right, well that's what my average consumption hovers around!

Hopefully a nice steady run to Torquay early April will see that upped a little.

This was a nice steady run!! And if thats right then its a complete joke.

Really regret selling the clio tbh. It was faster, it handled better, it was more fun and it used less fuel!! I'm gonna see if my work can do anything but Im pretty convinced Ive got no way around keeping ot for 3 years :(

my t180 never ever does better than 37mpg

unless i sit at 60 on flat motorway then i get 40ish

i have 3.0d4d hilux for work and get the same on run as auris( hp i think about same)

im dissed to

djw John,

I have a question, did you not read the threads all over this forum about the poor fuel economy of the T180's? Did you hope to get a good one or was it a case of head over heart???

The majority of people are dissapointed in there cars MPG, whether it be RAV/Avensis/Verso or Auris - Not the rest of the car.

Before anyone starts this isn't Auris bashing, its an observation and yes i know some people get close to the official MPG.

Its a joke aint it. Dunno how its possible to get such crap mpg from what it is.

Its a joke aint it. Dunno how its possible to get such crap mpg from what it is.

Why not do this Chip it! it cant make it any worse!

The problem I hear is the engine uses diesel to burn off the black smoke that would exit from the exhaust which in turn lowers the MPG. Im afraid you have the government to thank for that with their emission tax bands etc. Im more than happy with the around town MPG but did expect to get 50MPG on a run and I cant do it.

Thats awful and doesnt sound right.

I hope it does improve with age for you. I, like others get around 43mpg on the m-way on cruise control with overtakes.

Daily i'm getting 41mpg on 20 odd miles of town and a-roads with the weather how it is.

Next time you take the trip see if staying in 5th at your speed improves economy.

I only ever get 35mpg around town, infact i've never really seen it as low as 35, only this last winter in -7 temps did i see my combined drop to 36mpg.

Sorry this doesnt fix your problem, the only thing i could suggest is try using Shell diesel which is what i use and change gear 3rd at 30, 4th at 40, 5th at 50 etc. I dont have the spoiler but everything else apart from my 20k miles is the same.

Even with that gear change advise i do also put my foot down, everyday i have a 1 mile stretch of uphill dual carriageway coming off a roundabout and i floor it up there most days to keep the pipes clean. Also today i overtook 3 slow moving cars in a row and checked my mpg when i got in tonight and i'm still at 41. I just always do the gear thing when there is no opportunity to go quicker, you may as well drive conservatively if your following traffic.

I would chip it in a second but its a company car, not sure how happy they will be. Guess I'll just have to ask and sell the economy side of things to them!

So it uses more fuel to save the environment????? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, would love to know who thought that one up!

I agree round town its acceptable, if anything on a run it seems worse than in town!!

Thats awful and doesnt sound right.

I hope it does improve with age for you. I, like others get around 43mpg on the m-way on cruise control with overtakes.

Daily i'm getting 41mpg on 20 odd miles of town and a-roads with the weather how it is.

Next time you take the trip see if staying in 5th at your speed improves economy.

I only ever get 35mpg around town, infact i've never really seen it as low as 35, only this last winter in -7 temps did i see my combined drop to 36mpg.

Sorry this doesnt fix your problem, the only thing i could suggest is try using shell diesel which is what i use and change gear 3rd at 30, 4th at 40, 5th at 50 etc. I dont have the spoiler but everything else apart from my 20k miles is the same.

MMM ok I'll see what it comes back at in 5th. I actually reset the mpg once I was up to speed on the motorway so accelerating didnt even figure apart from maybe twice from 65ish back to the set speed.

And that was Shell diesel, got the v-power club card from 172 ownership so still use them.

Gonna go fill up today and I'll check how accurate the computer is, its currently saying 33.5mpg!!!!!!!!!

Pretty accurate, had actually got 33.6mpg. Whoopde****ingdo

actually cruise control uses less diesel then ur right foot. I no that if i go fast and floor it in some gears then i wont get above 27-28mpg when the engine is warm though cause its never a good idea to rag the engine before its warm, but when im on the motorway doing 70 in 6th gear with cruise on and a passenger (when i go to north wales to the caravan) i never get below 45mpg even when the dual zone climate control is on. your case is interesting

So a 10mpg difference? Wooft, fair bit!

Im going to London soon so that'll let it strectch its legs, I just maybe wont be able to buy food for the rest of the month after it!

Hi DJW JOHN,

Not been on this forum for a while and stumbled across your post. Getting a good average from the T/SR180 IS achievable mate, its all in the way its driven.

Click here to see a pic of my average in my T180. Post#112.

This was done over a period of around 4 weeks driving it with nothing but consumption in mind, it was hard work and not much fun but it proves it can be done mate.

WOW! (That's all I've got to say!) Congratulations, my friend!

14082008139cu1.jpg

Hope you don't mind I posted the picture in this thread...

Dont go over 70mph on a echo trip. Something to do with drag.

reading all this what are you guy's getting now with the latest software installed, The best I have had on a run was about 45mpg (not going over about 73mph on the speedo and cruise control with 80 miles of motorway) but do you see any better for the more expensive diesel? I normally fill up at asda to be honest and when I had the CTR i did notice a bit extra mpg using super unleaded but no performance but a guy at work with a turbo petrol says his car runs crap on normal unleaded. I will admit I am not to impressed at the mpg and was expecting 40-45 easy enough but just nipped out in the car and over half a tank have only averaged 33mpg (mainly me driving but not really giving the car any). The GF always gets about 37mpg over a tank but her foot lighter than mine.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links