Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

A New Record Mpg For The Sr180?

Djw John

Dont go over 70mph on a echo trip. Something to do with drag.

Yeah thats gonna help quite a bit but it's not the be all and end all.

Probably the biggest factor is unnecessary braking. Driving accoring to my training i can drive on the open roads for miles on end without touching the brakes unless i need to stop or have to slow suddenly. It's no fun to drive like that to be totally honest but it works where consumption is concerned.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Djw John

• Rick D4D

• cabcurtains

• OldSkoO1

I have noticed that if on the motorway doing about 60-65mph the mpg is a lot better

I have noticed that if on the motorway doing about 60-65mph the mpg is a lot better

As long as you don't fall asleep :lol: ;)

I'm getting an average of 45mpg in my 1.4 which isn't too far off what I was getting in my Yaris 1.0 so I'm pretty happy. I've just returned from a 350 mile trip and got 48mpg! I still wish I had known about the new 1.33 engine though when I bought it...

I'm getting an average of 45mpg in my 1.4 which isn't too far off what I was getting in my Yaris 1.0 so I'm pretty happy. I've just returned from a 350 mile trip and got 48mpg! I still wish I had known about the new 1.33 engine though when I bought it...

I was easily averaging 50+ mpg in my T180 until i changed the front tyres for new ones, i was expecting a further increase in mpg but new rubber cost me about 6mpg initialy, as the tyres are bedding in the mpg is slowly returning.Best i returned on a 600mile weekly commute is 52mpg.

Decided to be as gentle as I could coming along a 50mph road today, reset it when I was up to speed, sat between 50 and 52 the whole way without cruise or climate on, didnt brake once and got................................................45.8

Or 0.2mpg better than its meant to get on a combined run. Whats the extra-urban figures for these pieces of crap?

Decided to be as gentle as I could coming along a 50mph road today, reset it when I was up to speed, sat between 50 and 52 the whole way without cruise or climate on, didnt brake once and got................................................45.8

Or 0.2mpg better than its meant to get on a combined run. Whats the extra-urban figures for these pieces of crap?

Then there is a problem with your car - i'd easily get 50+ in that scenario. Infact i was getting just under 60 on a long stretch of 50mph road recently but i was doing about 45 in steady moving traffic.

I haven't got a clue what it could be, clogged EGR, dirty air filter, high oil consumption, not run in... who knows but 45mpg on a steady run is not right. Its those type of runs that brings up your average so it should be 50+.

Yeah I was expecting 50 plus without issue as thats what I used to get in my other cars driven like that.

Its got 3100 miles on it, enough oil and would appear to be a healthy one (183bhp, 297lb ft) so it is a strange one. I'll contact the leasing dept in my work and see if they will get it checked over. It runs fine all the time so would be surprised if there was anything wrong with it.

I get 60mpg when i drive at constant 50 mph, there must be something wrong with your engine..

I usually get 850 kilometers per ~50 liters of fuel. Which means ~17 kilometers per liter. And that means ~48MPG...

I do the same with mine Auris LUX 1.6 and MMT - But it must by in a very cool driving and enjoining the landscape in Israel.

Toscane - You are very close to me.

You are invited to visit Israel and to tour with mine Auris all over Israel and then later on , I will do it the same with yours in Turkey.

We have now a wonderful weather all over the country

:scooter:you are welcome .

Back onto the topic please. That sort of post is for a PM as it is not about MPG and defo not MPG on the T/SR180.

Thanks

OMG!!! I hold the new record!!

Today I drove a stretch of 507KM and got...... 30MPG!!!

I have to admit that it was between Berlin and Enschede and cruised most of it at 110MPH and got it up to 138MPH for some parts. Hurray for the Deutsche Autobahn!

Hi 5!!! Yeah I went for a wee blast yesterday as well and got 30mpg but that did go up after it. Thats good going over 300miles!

Hi 5!!! Yeah I went for a wee blast yesterday as well and got 30mpg but that did go up after it. Thats good going over 300miles!

Hi, interesting, mine seems to be like yours i`m struggling to get 34mpg. Around Edinburgh and on a motorway run.......... must be the Scottish roads. In fact on the motorway sitting at about 70 I only managed about 43mpg but now its down to 34mpg around town so in fact it`s a lot less than that as there is the motorway mpg in this. very dissapointed

Im impressed you got 43mpg on the motorway!!

Ive only seen 1 other sr180 going about iirc and it was grey, on leith walk saw a blue one parked up in granton. Either of them you?

Hi, interesting, mine seems to be like yours i`m struggling to get 34mpg. Around Edinburgh and on a motorway run.......... must be the Scottish roads. In fact on the motorway sitting at about 70 I only managed about 43mpg but now its down to 34mpg around town so in fact it`s a lot less than that as there is the motorway mpg in this. very dissapointed

This is about what I get, did get it upto 44.8mpg once on the motorway.

Impressed with that guy getting 54.7mpg. The only time I see that is downhill with the wind behind me!!!!

Not on Leith Walk or down Granton. South Queensferry and it`s silver.

Impressed with that guy getting 54.7mpg. The only time I see that is downhill with the wind behind me!!!!

I would have thought you would need a hurricane behind you to get 54.7mpg

Ha Ha Ha Think the guy must have been getting a tow as well !!!

I would have thought you would need a hurricane behind you to get 54.7mpg

Its entirely possible, i got nearly that on an a-road journey. Once i hit town it flopped to 49.

But i've just reset my MPG calc and got 47mpg on my route home.

Interestingly, that was done out of rush hour. During rush hour it drops to about 41/42mpg. My normal rush hour journey consists of 15minutes of stop / start, slow moving traffic with plenty of traffic lights. Infact i've just counted and i go through 12 sets of traffic lights going across town, 2 lolipop ladies and a good handful of roundabouts. The rest of the journey is a-road and 5mins of town driving when i get to the office.

In rush hour its anything from 40-43mpg, out of rush hour its 45-48.

I'm one of the few happy ones with MPG, i'd like to be 50mpg more often but i have to be realistic. Because what i get compared to some here is good. And, i had to drive a 1.6Ltr TR auris recently. Sorry to anyone with this engine but it was gutless and only returned 37mpg on the m-way. My t180 does 43mpg on the m-way and is a lot more fun to drive. For work the 1.6 did about the same, 35/36mpg, thats nearly 10mpg less from a slower car.

Its entirely possible, i got nearly that on an a-road journey. Once i hit town it flopped to 49.

But i've just reset my MPG calc and got 47mpg on my route home.

Interestingly, that was done out of rush hour. During rush hour it drops to about 41/42mpg. My normal rush hour journey consists of 15minutes of stop / start, slow moving traffic with plenty of traffic lights. Infact i've just counted and i go through 12 sets of traffic lights going across town, 2 lolipop ladies and a good handful of roundabouts. The rest of the journey is a-road and 5mins of town driving when i get to the office.

In rush hour its anything from 40-43mpg, out of rush hour its 45-48.

I'm one of the few happy ones with MPG, i'd like to be 50mpg more often but i have to be realistic. Because what i get compared to some here is good. And, i had to drive a 1.6Ltr TR auris recently. Sorry to anyone with this engine but it was gutless and only returned 37mpg on the m-way. My t180 does 43mpg on the m-way and is a lot more fun to drive. For work the 1.6 did about the same, 35/36mpg, thats nearly 10mpg less from a slower car.

It`s party time for me tonight, I managed to get the average up from 34.3 mpg to 34.4 mpg................don`t know how you guys do it.

This is an interesting thread and being a newish T180 owner I to was expecting a better return on MPG. Like oldSko0l overall I am happy with the car. We all know the blurb from the official literature etc but I think a better bottom line would be

“What is the average expected MPG from a T/SR180” I know this is highly variable depending on many factors but lets use the same indicators as the official bumf from the manufacturers. They say

Motorway

Combined

Uraban about town

What I am getting at is if someone buys a T/SR180 lets forget about the official Toyota brochure stats and let’s use the forums owners figures. This way we should get an approx. average and if anyone like ‘Djw John’ is dramatically different then it can be determined that there is a problem somewhere which merits further investigation. Either the car, driving method, fuel, tyre pressure etc etc. This shouldn’t be too difficult to obtain. Do we poll the owners and average out..

Another point is that actual true MPG is difficult to calculate. i.e. should you reset the MPG counter prior to every run and like others if yours is a daily commute then after a weeks driving (say 10 journeys to work) you should have an average MPG for your commute(providing you only commute). If you don’t reset the MPG counter between refills then can it be assumed that the final figure prior to filling your car up again is the average for a tank of fuel?

I mean as you never run the tank down how do you actually know what the true MPG is if you don’t precisely know how much fuel you have used between fill ups? There are so many variations. I mean do you full up till the hose clicks, refill when the warning light comes on, run for approx. 60 miles after warning light then refill..so many methods.

Thanks jd76…

reset the trip on my t180 then left my house and done 75mile journey 34.7mpg

reset the trip on my s60 d5 same journey 44.6mpg

not impressed volvo is bigger engine and car has more weight

nothing else that anybody says about conditions/driving style etc will convince me otherwise

t180 love the car very dissapointed in fuel should be better

You lot should meet up and drive the same route and see what happens, its the only way to sort it out. Having read about this engine for a few years now it seems to be the mother inconsistency, some good some bad!

It also make me want to borrow one to see if it would be a good un or a bad un :wacko:

The trip computer isn't the most accurate way of calculating mpg... mine always reads 2-3mpg higher than actual.

I use Fuelly to track mine ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links