Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

AE92 GTi-16 Progress Thread

KPARRIS-JONES

angel eyes???

if they are not my cup of tea on anything other than a bmw :(

They're removable and I was thinking more along the lines of the black housing because it looks great against the chrome/crystal light-mirrors.

I do agree with you about them only looking at home on Beemers.

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KPARRIS-JONES

• dawesy

• PaulinhoT

• AE_92

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

have you thought about tinting your stock ones, saw a mates one done looks amazing

have you thought about tinting your stock ones, saw a mates one done looks amazing

Yeh I have but they just don't quite do it for me. I like the contrast between the chrome and the black.

Also, it's quite hard to smoke lights without them making it look bodged or chavvy. Especially on a car like the GTi, which is mostly considered as chav central.

Thanks for the idea mate :thumbsup:

fair play dude, i just cant find a decent set that have projectors.

It's usually a struggle to find parts like that. I'm so glad that I was given the link for the headlamps.

BTW, on an unrelated matter, I just orderded 4 MOMO black red and yellow shoulder pads for the seat belts for only £22 including delivery. Here's the link if you're interested in getting some for yourself:

Go to the ones for £9

Hi everyone.

As soon as I got home from school I went straight to Fluffy (yes, that's her name) and did a few things;

***UPDATE ON STRUT BRACE PAINT***

Don't bother with high temperature paint because it won't harden properly unless you bake it, and the brace won't fit in the oven (strangely).

I have taken another route and I have resprayed it properly in a booth. It gives a far better finish, well worth the extra money.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sprayed the strut brace red with high-temp paint.

bumpercomingoff035.jpg

I removed the front bumper.

bumpercomingoff036.jpg

And took a photo of it

bumpercomingoff032.jpg

And I removed the headlamps and side-lights

bumpercomingoff033.jpg

And then I sprayed some bit in chrome paint

bumpercomingoff039.jpg

And finally I got everything organised.

bumpercomingoff034.jpg

This is all preparation to removing the engine for its overhaul.

About the front bumper:

On either side of the front bumper, there is a bracket that hold the bumper to the inner arch. Because the bolts are so exposed to the weather and therefore rust, soak them constantly in 3-in-1 and WD40 for a few days before attempting removal (depending on the severity of the rust). When removing these 10mm bolts, use a small wrench with no extension bar so that you can feel exactly what is going on with the bolt. Very slowly unscrew it, doing 1/8th of a turn each time, being very careful and nursing it along the whole way. Once they are out, soak them in the previously mentioned lubricants and do so again upon refitting. Then you can proceed to unbolt the 8 other bolts at the front of the bumper, which shouldn't be in too bad a condition.

What do you think?

These are the lights I'm getting in a few months.

£150 all in with p&p too!

FXGT_SMOKED20CRYSTAL.jpg

Opinions?

like them looked at some like that when i was looking around. ended up with some for an AE-101 but the were a PITA to fit needing new brackets making. look good with the HID's in though

like them looked at some like that when i was looking around. ended up with some for an AE-101 but the were a PITA to fit needing new brackets making. look good with the HID's in though

Yeh you told me about those a while ago. Sounded like an awful lot of work. :yes: But they look awsome. ;)

I was quite pleased that I could get black lights without the angel eyes.

I'm thinking of getting new headlamps in a few months, and so far, these get my vote!

What do you think?

AE92%20ANGEL%20EYE%20HEADLIGHTS.jpg

i like these lights better! :rolleyes:

I'm thinking of getting new headlamps in a few months, and so far, these get my vote!

What do you think?

Though nice, they do look a bit tackey as most angel eyes do unless they were originally meant to be one the car.

The others are obviously modified, but are still quite understated. I won't be getting lary tail-lights however. I think I'll go clear so they match the white paint.

What do you think?

Though nice, they do look a bit tackey as most angel eyes do unless they were originally meant to be one the car.

The others are obviously modified, but are still quite understated. I won't be getting lary tail-lights however. I think I'll go clear so they match the white paint.

Based on this "Meant to be on the Car" "Look Tacky" premise, your car will be totally standard will it ? :eek:

As soon as I got home from school I went straight to Fluffy (yes, that's her name)

I thought you were ok KP.... but you've called your car "Fluffy"?? :bag:

:lol:

As soon as I got home from school I went straight to Fluffy (yes, that's her name)

You see what you can do with F710 FFL then!

I happen to like the name actually. :yes:

What do you think?

Based on this "Meant to be on the Car" "Look Tacky" premise, your car will be totally standard will it ? :eek:

You have to sit inside the car to se the interior (Never!) but when you do it is certainly not tackey, you can tell its modified but it looks like its high quality! :)

You see what you can do with F710 FFL then!

I happen to like the name actually. :yes:

Easy... :g: ...... buy a private reg!! :lol:

They're really expensive though!

I would if I could, but my money is being put towards more important things such as brakes. ;)

But if you are that ashamed of the name, feel free to buy me some new plates NC!

And MarcTS; I might just do that actually :P :lol:

I would if I could, but my money is being put towards more important things such as brakes. ;)

But if you are that ashamed of the name, feel free to buy me some new plates NC!

And MarcTS; I might just dpo that actually :P :lol:

Joviality will not be Tolerated.

And MarcTS; I might just dpo that actually :P :lol:

Joviality will not be Tolerated.

My bad! I'll sit in the corner until I'm no longer human. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I got to work on my GTi with my mate Davis and we managed to get the interior at the front sorted, along with a few other bits at the back and the engine bay too;

Here we removed the sound proofing material using a flathead screwdriver and a hammer. We removed it from under the rear seats, the boot and a few other areas around the interior.

FluffyInteriorfinished054.jpg

FluffyInteriorfinished053.jpg

I did some work on the engine bay myself, such as drilling rust of around the radiator area and priming it for protection. Davis then helped me drill and prime the metal Battery platform in the engine bay using various drill bits.

FluffyInteriorfinished053.jpg

FluffyInteriorfinished051.jpg

FluffyInteriorfinished050.jpg

On my own, I started work on the valve cover by polishing it and removing grime. I'll be getting it painted later on.

FluffyInteriorfinished049.jpg

And these are the pictures of the new interior. It has MOMO pedals, Hand-Brake lever, Gear-Gearknob and shoulder pads. I fitted the S.E.V.I.C. radio/DVD and iPod connection cable. I reconditioned the carpet and sprayed various parts of the interior satin black, swiflty followed by the re-fitting of the seats. The back has to be freed from rust at the moment, so the rear seats will remain out of the car, which is good because it gave me an excuse to remove the sound-proofing to save weight.

FluffyInteriorfinished047.jpg

FluffyInteriorfinished046.jpg

FluffyInteriorfinished045.jpg

FluffyInteriorfinished043.jpg

FluffyInteriorfinished042.jpg

FluffyInteriorfinished041.jpg

Anyone who needs help with the GTi interior and fitting parts like these can PM or add me on Hotmail, I'd be happy to help.

lookin good mate keep going!!!

Thanks.

It took a very long time to get everything ready and fitted.

Anyone else like it?

• 4 weeks later...

Got the upper timing-belt cover removed and a few other bits disconnected such as the transmission link.

Hopefully, by the end of this week, I'll have the power-steering disconnected and drained, oil drained, clutch link disconnected and the accelerator cable disconnected too.

I have only one pic because have been working too hard to take time on taking pictures. :D

enginecomingoutnow086.jpg

I hope you all like :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links