Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

AE92 GTi-16 Progress Thread

KPARRIS-JONES

The Block and Head of the Blue Top have studs that need removing and the current one is all painted up nicely :lol: I will be using the old Rods, shells and crank from the Blue Top though, the Crank is all depending upon how damaged it turns out to be. I will also be swapping Oil-Pumps :D

Thanks mate I'll be sure to contact you if I think of anything. If you have any new bearings then that's be handy :P

KP

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KPARRIS-JONES

• dawesy

• PaulinhoT

• AE_92

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just got my Gaskets delivered for the rebuild, £60 delivered for a FULL Engine Kit :D

Plus I now have some bearings on order to have it rebuilt. So basically it's going to be one fresh 4A-GE! :D

KP

• 2 weeks later...

I finally have the engine out! :lol: The weather has been so against me lately which meant everything has been postponed pretty badly.

That all said, today we had it out, took it home and then whipped off the sump:

This is why you tighten water junctions...

416759bd.jpg

5071313f.jpg

She's out;

4e0c5d3f.jpg

4b79fed6.jpg

8a560a59.jpg

Home and separated from the 'Box;

28b0f193.jpg

5043ecd9.jpg

Sump off;

6a1f6604.jpg

c1628285.jpg

Annoyingly, having checked each Big-End carefully the whole Bottom End appears to be absolutely spot on with no issues!! So next stop is removing the Caps and checking the Bearings themselves. I found two very small metal shavings in there but I couldn't be sure of what they were from.

If it still turns up nothing I'll whip off the Head and check the pistons, rings, valves and bores.

KP

awww look at the poor thing, sitting there all naked with no heart! I look forward to seeing it at the japshow, ill make sure i come and say hi, not just to the car either lol.

Yeh I know right mate it's a shame, but I'm having great fun fixing her up :D

She won't be at Japshow unfortunately, instead I'm headed to a Classic car show at Stevenage with my Club. Sorry mate :( I'll be at Japfest 2, JAE and TRAZ this year though! :D

I'll keep you updated, tomorrow should uncover the real issue.

KP

I'm kind of glad i dont know how to rebuild an engine. i think id have it apart once a month checking that it was perfect lol! good luck with the classic show.

and not forgetting good luck with finding the problem tomorrow, hope its not too much trouble to fix!!

Thank you mate, I totally know what you mean though, I hate having to put any old parts back into an engine :lol: and I am always wondering what is happening inside :lol:

Thanks again, I'll have pictures and show everyone how it all goes.

KP

Hi all,

I cracked the caps off today and it's revealed all :( However I am happy to have the diagnosis in! :D

I started with Cylinder 1 and 4 had a metallic paste had nasty scouring on the Crank and Bearing, 3 had worn down to the Copper but without scouring and 2 revealed all as it had spun, wrapped and was stuck under the Rod side of the Bearing. It had worn straight through the Copper Layer and was having a great time munching away at the Crank and generally becoming an oval. :shock:

Sorry about the mistake I made in the first video about which number Cylinder was uneventful!

Scored Horribly:

d2fa1398.jpg

ad4e33fb.jpg

Metallic Paste:

198c83c2.jpg

Bearing 2 was utterly Mullered!:

3147dfee.jpg

0d5c1f4e.jpg

Here's the Video:

I'll keep you updated with more videos :D

KP

lovely gti very nice.. reminds me of my last one in white tvis had 7 gti's in the past laguna splitter fits straight on the front bumper and looks nice to

Thanks mate I am very very proud to have her :D Wow it's a shame you don't still have one you'd fit in brilliantly with my lot :lol: :D

Anywho, I have the Crank out now and it actually looks ok to me but I'll let you decide on that one! The lower half of 2 was just as bad as the top, and the Rod Caps of 2 and 3 were far more difficult to remove than those of 1 and 4 which leads me to believe that they have been ruined too. :roll: So I'll replace all Bearings, maybe the Crank, and the Rods and Caps for 2 and 3.

069c086d.jpg

0e1f4e61.jpg

875283cc.jpg

39864e22.jpg

KP

Looks like I have missed a fair few updates, yesterday I spent the day taking each bit off and inspecting it, degreasing it and then painting it. Total bliss for me :D

I have painted a hell of a lot of stuff so that she'll now have a decent engine bay that I can show off without small children throwing up on it.

Bits I have done so far:

*PAS Pump - White

*PAS Pump Pulley - Black

*PAS Pump Bracket - Silver

*Tensioner Pulley - Black

*Tensioner Pulley Bracket - Silver

*Tensioner Pulley Cap - White

*Alternator Bracket - Silver

*Alternator Pulley - Black

*Alternator Rear Case - White

*OPS - Silver

*Dizzy Shield - Silver

*Water Pump - Silver

*Water Pump Pulley - Black with Silver Band

*Starter Motor - Silver

*Starter Shield - Black

*Water Pipes - White

*Crank Pulley - Black

*Oil Dipstick Holder - White

*Oil Dipstick - Black

Today I'll have the Intake Manifold, Head, Block, Gearbox and other parts sorted if all goes well, but I have lost my Water Pump Pulley so that's a slight issue... :lol:

Some Pictures:

74893835.jpg

058356dd.jpg

17140632.jpg

f232bb75.jpg

2ff52113.jpg

3fd509e6.jpg

87e2b910.jpg

4997a385.jpg

50a3927d.jpg

72500457.jpg

921bbcb8.jpg

KP

Very interesting read, and a cool video as well

:thumbsup:

Loving the painted parts as well :yahoo: a lot of effort has gone into this rebuild.

Cracking work yet again young man!

Love checking your updates, I'd love to get my motor stripped, cleaned and painted a bit too, but space, confidence and talent lacking!

Thanks guys, it takes a long bloody time to get everything painted so nicely :lol: and it's stupidly hard to stop it all getting chipped, I've been close to crying trying to get my PAS pump to stay white :lol:

Since my last update I have the Manifold painted:

f7faa681.jpg

The Throttle Body has been done in black :D

As for the rebuild itself, dawesy was an bloody star today and came down to give me some guidance as to what I need to do to rebuild it properly. The White Top Crank is FUBAR so that's getting used as a paper-weight, and upon close inspection, we found the White Top Block had excessive wear on the bores which wasn't going to do any harm but it made sense to swap Blocks. So, I'll be using the Blue Top Block, Rods, Pistons, Crank and the White-Top Head with the Blue Top Oil Pump.

It works in my benefit because it forces me to buy a forged Crank and also get the White Top Block re-bored, something that is necessary to gain 250-300BHP N/A :D

A decent mix as it takes all the best of both engines, coupled with my Nengun 0.8mm Gasket I hope to scrape back a couple HP :D

Ooh and the Block has now been painted Hammered Black which has a gold flake - I love it!

White Top Block going into storage :(

3fa88819.jpg

White Top Internals:

ffaf2ade.jpg

And the Blue Top Block painted up :drool:

2a970edc.jpg

9b18ce95.jpg

KP

The Head is now finished in VHT Silver and the Gearbox is going Hammered Black to match the Block. Once the Thermostat Housing, Mounts and Timing End Cover are done the whole thing is clean and ready to go back together upon delivery of the Bearings and Studs.

Of course I've already chipped bits. But they will touch up nicely and then once she is all complete I'll crack on with the Engine Bay bits.

62d391bd.jpg

5ebf732a.jpg

0eb2f5f8.jpg

192d6115.jpg

I'll have better pictures of the Gearbox once I have detailed it. :D

KP

The Gearbox has had it's extra coat of paint and I peeled away the tape from the Head and I am so pleased with the results!

bb3fed0a.jpg

91ca8d57.jpg

7d5d8446.jpg

KP

Another day of degreasing and painting, the weather has been miserable though, good job I have an oil radiator then eh? :D :thumbsup:

I've started reassembling the Gearbox ancillaries etc:

597a081d.jpg

I painted the Dizzy back to Silver, using a slightly different technique as I don't want any brush marks at all, they make it look shite IMO:

45dd4cfc.jpg

The Sump is now Gloss Black once again! I'm toying with the idea of putting a metal plate on the underside of the Sump to keep it from scuffing. Oh and I found out where my bearings went when they crumbled...

e997fda3.jpg

I also gave the Cam Covers a little TLC, they are the same colour as the car which was why I attempted to shoot myself in the testes with a nail gun when I ballsed up their removal, chipping them in a couple obvious places. Anyway, I got the white paint out ans sorted it out, but the real work went into finally painting the lettering :D

57a2493d.jpg

29c9a330.jpg

5e294d5d.jpg

I'm incredibly happy with the results, I should be fitting up the Bearings soon, except I got caught out by those bastards at customs who want £21 for them to be let through! How my £200 sunroof got through without getting caught it I will never know, what stings is that I paid £25 for the 3 day delivery from the US!!!

KP

I've whacked a little more paint on some parts and detailed others to make me 120% happy!

256470ab.jpg

c55514d7.jpg

f80acfac.jpg

c921cc6c.jpg

e5a0190c.jpg

9c47d5c3.jpg

5fc2ce74.jpg

I also have my Rod Bolts on order and Bearings delivered. Now all I need is £150 for high end oils and coolant....

KP

• 1 month later...

Following another year of the GTi effectively being off the road - this time purely because some limp penarse can't manage to send a set of the correct Bearings from the US - I decided to treat myself and the GTi with some rather expensive oils :D So after a £160 bill from Opie Oils :thumbsup: I now have some excellent fully-synthetic oils to keep her purring after the rebuild. Larvely.

With all the engine parts painted up and just waiting for the Rod Bearings (Studs now fitted) I am now pretty bored and getting sick of being told by various magazines and communities that they had awards lined up had she made it to them :crybaby: , so I thought I'd bring "The Caracal" closer to home. That's the 1UZ-FE Project I have been planning for during the past few months.

A beat up GTi is on sale which needs new shocks, tyres and brakes etc however the body only needs a little attention, and I will be going to see it the weekend after next assuming I get a chance whilst settling in my Halls Of Residence at Wiltshire College. Despite the list of issues, it's perfect because they're all parts that would have needed replacing following the extra grunt of the V8 engine anyway! :D

I'll have some pictures of the progress on the GTi when I get to carry on.

KP

• 1 month later...

I actually can't believe how much I haven't reported!

I have finally been sent the correct bearings and the thank you goes to dawesy for that! :thumbsup: I have now assembled a good chunk of the engine and will be finishing it off next session where I will repaint chipped items and more importantly - find the bolts I have lost for the bloody water pipes. :lol:

I am tempted to put off the starting of the engine until I have replaced some of the visible bolts with shinier, prettier versions :D

But anyway, here are some pretty colours:

First I cleaned the Baffle Plate:

52695a0e.jpg

d45039d2.jpg

Then fitted the Primary Filter:

b924942b.jpg

Followed by the Sump and S/S Bolts:

dc6f9889.jpg

Now the Gasket:

c1c67059.jpg

3293f432.jpg

73bb16fc.jpg

09fced01.jpg

323da35e.jpg

Then Cams:

f7195125.jpg

Timing Cover:

1c8c2074.jpg

6546c442.jpg

And then the part I have personally been waiting for... the intake:

0fc9ad92.jpg

87c4be7b.jpg

Resting the Cam Covers for the next time I come by to secure them:

44dde033.jpg

I also have an OEM cup holder on order to remove the normal blanking plate, I'll be one of 3 AE92's to have them so that's all good :P

Next up is a little TRD alloy Badge that is making its way onto the back of the car somewhere.. yet to decide on that but suggestions are welcome! ;)

KP

Cheers mate! I love working in there, it's a bit of a cack-hole but I like it :lol: There are a few bits to sort paint wise but she should be looking shiny and mint!

Hopefully after sending a few pics of the redone engine Banzai Magazine may think again about featuring the car... :D

KP

I read Banzai & Japanese Performance, both are very good.. one day I will open it up to see your car then :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links