Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hid Kits

ujamil

@alexC

How did you connect the ballast for power. My ballast socket is like a HB3 socket and the existing lights are a H11 plug. Therefore I couldn't just connect the existing wiring loom to the ballast. I had to use the additional cable and plug the spade connectors into the H11 socket. It's secure but ugly. I also had to file the bulb lugs down a bit to get them to fit into the headlight housing. Do you think they sent me the wrong kit?

Remember to put some tape around there, because if the connection spot will touch some metal part, you'll end up changing fuse as the connection isn't sealed.

Everything worked without any modifications.

Best regards, Alex

Sorry about the confusing question but this sentence answered my query.

Hopefully tonight I can get my pics and review up and you'll see what I was getting at.

regards

Wastedagen

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Speed_Chaser

• ujamil

• wastedagen

• Auris 1.6 vvt-i

OK here is my install of the HID (6000K) Kit. Firstly I bought it from here and it looks like this:

dscf1738rw2.jpg

The first thing I did was to remove the rubber grommet shown a few posts up as I knew I wouldn't need it, and then lay things out to check out the box contents.

dscf1741ud5.jpg

Now to the car. First was to remove the front plastic guard by removing the 5 or 6 clips and sliding out the guard.

dscf1742va8.jpg

Then remove the air intake pipe. Just one clips to remove and the pipe pulls out.

dscf1744sn7.jpg

Remove the original bulb.

dscf1745zt0.jpg

And plug in the new HID Bulb.

dscf1749kk5.jpg

But I have to add that I had to file down the lugs on the HID bulb to get them to fit into the light housing. Be careful if you have to do this because if you go to far and remove too much the bulb will be loose in the fitting. Take small amounts of at a time with a file. Don't be impatient and try and cut lumps off. Or a new bulb will cost you about £35.

dscf1750zp2.jpg

I then put the ballast in probably the only available place and cable tied it into position.

dscf1755cg7.jpg

Connect the cables together and fold and tuck them under the strut. Then do exactly the same on the other side.

dscf1756wv1.jpg

Now this is the only bit I'm not happy with with this kit. The power input socket on the ballast is a HB3 or similar socket but my main beam plug is a H11. So it won't fit direct to the ballast. You have to use the additional power cable supplied which has spade connectors on the end.

dscf1741copybg6.jpg

Part 2………….

The spade connectors plug into the H11 plug from the existing wiring loom, and this is your power source.

This leaves the spade connectors open to the environmental elements unless you cover it in electrical tape. Which I have done.

dscf1757ac9.jpg

As you can see for a kit that has great quality to it the final power up stage seems a bit unfinished. Why couldn't an adaptor be added to the kit. Anyway I'm certainly not happy with it.

So to correct that I have taken an old H11 bulb connector and modified it so I can plug it into the wiring loom as normal and provide my +12v supply.

First I removed the glass and bits and pieces.

dscf1761ba5.jpg

I then sanded the face down flat and drilled through to the back of the plug.

dscf1766cr8.jpg

And soldered the wires to the pins.

dscf1767lc8.jpg

I then put some epoxy resin around the wires to hold them firmly in place.

dscf1770kv9.jpg

When done I cover the resin in Silicone sealant to protect it. Forgive my walnut whip effect as sealing isn't one of my strong points. :P

dscf1772ow4.jpg

When I get a chance I will cut off the spade connectors and solders the ends of the wires together, this will now be my H11 to HB3 adaptor lead.

Heres is the difference between my old Osram Night breakers and the HID bulbs.

dscf1747copygz3.jpg

dscf1718pg8.jpg

All said and done this kit is an excellent upgrade from the standard or upgrade halogen bulbs. It makes an amazing difference when driving. The road signs now jump out at you. However I did read that the car should not be started with lights on as this can damage the HID bulbs/ballast. So from now on I have turned off my Auto lights on feature and will do it manually.

Part 2………….

The spade connectors plug into the H11 plug from the existing wiring loom, and this is your power source.

This leaves the spade connectors open to the environmental elements unless you cover it in electrical tape. Which I have done.

dscf1757ac9.jpg

As you can see for a kit that has great quality to it the final power up stage seems a bit unfinished. Why couldn't an adaptor be added to the kit. Anyway I'm certainly not happy with it.

So to correct that I have taken an old H11 bulb connector and modified it so I can plug it into the wiring loom as normal and provide my +12v supply.

First I removed the glass and bits and pieces.

dscf1761ba5.jpg

I then sanded the face down flat and drilled through to the back of the plug.

dscf1766cr8.jpg

And soldered the wires to the pins.

dscf1767lc8.jpg

I then put some epoxy resin around the wires to hold them firmly in place.

dscf1770kv9.jpg

When done I cover the resin in Silicone sealant to protect it. Forgive my walnut whip effect as sealing isn't one of my strong points. :P

dscf1772ow4.jpg

When I get a chance I will cut off the spade connectors and solders the ends of the wires together, this will now be my H11 to HB3 adaptor lead.

Heres is the difference between my old Osram Night breakers and the HID bulbs.

dscf1747copygz3.jpg

dscf1718pg8.jpg

All said and done this kit is an excellent upgrade from the standard or upgrade halogen bulbs. It makes an amazing difference when driving. The road signs now jump out at you. However I did read that the car should not be started with lights on as this can damage the HID bulbs/ballast. So from now on I have turned off my Auto lights on feature and will do it manually.

Nice step by step guide. =] Just wanted to ask, how many kelvins is your HID kit?

Regards

thanks, it's 6000k. I left this out by mistake, i'll go an add it to the review.

Very good guide you made wastedagen. Nice job! :thumbsup:

Now I understand what you meant when asking about connectors etc.

But I have to add one more thing to your guide: It may be good to change the fuse

to a bigger one 10A->15A because HIDs use lots of energy when flaring up.

One more thing: Could you also post some guide regarding Auto Lights On

-feature disabling, as I think many people here aren't sure how to do that!

Best regards, Alex

Very good guide you made wastedagen. Nice job! :thumbsup:

Now I understand what you meant when asking about connectors etc.

But I have to add one more thing to your guide: It may be good to change the fuse

to a bigger one 10A->15A because HIDs use lots of energy when flaring up.

One more thing: Could you also post some guide regarding Auto Lights On

-feature disabling, as I think many people here aren't sure how to do that!

Best regards, Alex

Thanks for the info, I totally forgot to look at the fuse ratings in the manual. And as you stated cars with HID bulbs do indeed have 15A fuses per side.

My fuse box is located on the right hand side of the engine bay. The headlight fuses are located in the far right corner as you stand infront of the car.

dscf1782mm4.jpg

Change from Red 10A to Blue 15A.

dscf1783copywi8.jpg

The fuses used are Micro or Low Profile Mini Fuses. Not many places have them so it's probably easier to go straight to the dealer. Unfortunately I could only get some cheap asss ones from Halfords as it was a Sunday. But rest assured I will replace them with Toyota's Fuses or ones of better quality at least.

dscf1788ha2.jpg

As for the Auto Lights On/Off, I just meant that I would turn the lights on and off using the column control rather than leaving them on Auto.

dscf1785hk6.jpg

Sorry if I insinuated that a special process was involved to disable this feature.

Regards

As for the Auto Lights On/Off, I just meant that I would turn the lights on and off using the column control rather than leaving them on Auto.

Sorry if I insinuated that a special process was involved to disable this feature.

Regards

No it's ok. We in Finland don't have the AUTO position. Only three other ones, in OFF the lights go automatically ON, but you're unable to use high beams.

Middle is parking lights and the position with light logo is for dark, your dashboard lights turn on and the lightning of the speedo can be changed to more dark level so it won't blind you. In our models you have to disable the AUTO-lights -option by removing some wires, otherwise the lights go everytime on... Of course you can use only parkinglights, but still.

Best regards, Alex

Regards

No it's ok. We in Finland don't have the AUTO position. Only three other ones, in OFF the lights go automatically ON, but you're unable to use high beams.

Middle is parking lights and the position with light logo is for dark, your dashboard lights turn on and the lightning of the speedo can be changed to more dark level so it won't blind you. So here you have to disable the AUTO option by removing some wires, otherwise the lights go everytime on (of course you can use only parkinglights).

Best regards, Alex

wow i didn't know that. Strange how things can be so different for different countries.

Regards

Middle is parking lights and the position with light logo is for dark, your dashboard lights turn on and the lightning of the speedo can be changed to more dark level so it won't blind you. So here you have to disable the AUTO option by removing some wires, otherwise the lights go everytime on (of course you can use only parkinglights).

Best regards, Alex

wow i didn't know that. Strange how things can be so different for different countries.

Yes, it's due to the law. Here it's a MUST to drive lights on, especially when you're not

driving inside city limits. But it's still like that that every driver is using driving lights all the time.

You can see 2-3 cars during the 4 hours drive which aren't using their lights (usually they forget it).

When the weather is good (which is very rare) usually in summer, there are more cars without lights.

Usually about 10-20 during 4 hours drive. So you won't see them very ofter. That's how it goes here :)

Best regards, Alex

@alexC

How did you connect the ballast for power. My ballast socket is like a HB3 socket and the existing lights are a H11 plug. Therefore I couldn't just connect the existing wiring loom to the ballast. I had to use the additional cable and plug the spade connectors into the H11 socket. It's secure but ugly. I also had to file the bulb lugs down a bit to get them to fit into the headlight housing. Do you think they sent me the wrong kit?

Didn't really understand what you mean, but this is how I did it. If it won't help, please try to ask again :)

Connected three cables (on the right side) to the ballast. Then connected two cables (red and black, on the left side)

to the socket (which was connected to the halogen bulb when there was halogen). One in one hole, and second to another hole.

Remember to put some tape around there, because if the connection spot will touch some metal part, you'll end up changing fuse

as the connection isn't sealed. All the other connections (three connections coming from the bulb to the ballast) are sealed.

HID%20bulb.jpg

Here is how my ballast looks:

ballast.jpg

There is one socket to which you connect the biggest connector coming from the bulb, and there's also two wires

which you connect to the sealed wires coming from the bulb (those at the right side of the 1st picture)

Best regards, Alex

Could you please send me the pictures in this post as I can not see them.

Regards

@alexC

Didn't really understand what you mean, but this is how I did it. If it won't help, please try to ask again :)

Connected three cables (on the right side) to the ballast. Then connected two cables (red and black, on the left side)

to the socket (which was connected to the halogen bulb when there was halogen). One in one hole, and second to another hole.

Remember to put some tape around there, because if the connection spot will touch some metal part, you'll end up changing fuse

as the connection isn't sealed. All the other connections (three connections coming from the bulb to the ballast) are sealed.

HID%20bulb.jpg

ballast.jpg

There is one socket to which you connect the biggest connector coming from the bulb, and there's also two wires

which you connect to the sealed wires coming from the bulb (those at the right side of the 1st picture)

Best regards, Alex

Regards

Please try some other Internet browser, and if it won't work try it later again. There are some bugs from time to time...

Best regards, Alex

@alexC

HID%20bulb.jpg

ballast.jpg

Best regards, Alex

Regards

Please try some other Internet browser, and if it won't work try it later again. There are some bugs from time to time...

Best regards, Alex

I can not see the picture where it says, "Here is how my ballast looks:"

Please can you post this pic again.

Regards

@alexC

HID%20bulb.jpg

ballast.jpg

Best regards, Alex

Regards

Best regards, Alex

Regards

Ah, only that one! Cannot see it too for the moment... I think there's something with that page or the picture is deleted

from that page. It may also return after few days!

Best regards, Alex

@alexC

HID%20bulb.jpg

ballast.jpg

Best regards, Alex

Regards

Best regards, Alex

Regards

Ah, only that one! Cannot see it too for the moment... I think there's something with that page or the picture is deleted

from that page. It may also return after few days!

Best regards, Alex

Dont you have it?

cant you post it again? Also, where is the best place to put the ballasts? and how is the best way to connect the power wires to the HID?

Attached the picture to this post... I think the best place for ballast is the same which Wastedagen used in his HID installation manual on the previous page. Under the metal bar which is going under the front plastic guard. Best way to connect the power wires is to simply put one wire in one hole and second wire to another hole of the plug which you usually connect to your halogen bulb. Then put some electrical tape around there to seal the connection!

Best regards, Alex

Hi there, anyone have Xenon lights installed with a HID kit? Is it easy to connect yourself? Anyone know a place in South London where I can get them fitted? Any other info on them?

Thanks

all after market HID kits are ILLEGAL for road use as you have to have a special type of headlight so you dont dazzle oncoming cars

Iv installed my 6000K HID kit, but one side seems to be brighter than the other; or should I say, it seems as if 1 light is facing down and 1 is in centre position. Im not sure why this is. Any suggestions?

Regards

Iv installed my 6000K hid kit, but one side seems to be brighter than the other; or should I say, it seems as if 1 light is facing down and 1 is in centre position. Im not sure why this is. Any suggestions?

Regards

The light on the driver's side isn't as bright as another one. It is faced a bit differently so you'll see the "edge" of the road better. It's same with halogens, but maybe as the light wasn't as bright as xenon you didn't pay any attention to it...

Post some pic, it will be a lot easier to say then!

Best regards, Alex

Iv installed my 6000K hid kit, but one side seems to be brighter than the other; or should I say, it seems as if 1 light is facing down and 1 is in centre position. Im not sure why this is. Any suggestions?

Regards

The light on the driver's side isn't as bright as another one. It is faced a bit differently so you'll see the "edge" of the road better. It's same with halogens, but maybe as the light wasn't as bright as xenon you didn't pay any attention to it...

Best regards, Alex

You cant really tell by pik, but here goes... And also, the passenger side is the one not as bright.

post-70773-1233683234_thumb.jpg

Regards

Best regards, Alex

You cant really tell by pik, but here goes... And also, the passenger side is the one not as bright.

I see it I think. This is not caused by what I thought it is... Maybe there's some problem with the levelling, maybe the

mechanism which is levelling the lights when you roll the wheel inside your car is stuck on another side? Or then something

went wrong during the installation and the levelling got wrong at that point? When you point the lights to the wall, is the pattern

pretty much symmetrical, or is the light higher on one side than on another?

Best regards, Alex

Regards

Best regards, Alex

I see it I think. This is not caused by what I thought it is... Maybe there's some problem with the levelling, maybe the

mechanism which is levelling the lights when you roll the wheel inside your car is stuck on another side? Or then something

went wrong during the installation and the levelling got wrong at that point? When you point the lights to the wall, is the pattern

Best regards, Alex

1 side is way higher than the other. If you look closely,(which you cant see from camera), 1 of the sides seems asif the light is facing down! i mean literally down :| chek the quik image i made to represent this..

untitled.bmp

Regards

Best regards, Alex

Best regards, Alex

1 side is way higher than the other. If you look closely,(which you cant see from camera), 1 of the sides seems asif the light is facing down! i mean literally down :| chek the quik image i made to represent this..

So you mean only the bulb isn't straight? The projector and the projector's lens are symmetrical on both sides? Check that the bulb is connected correctly, maybe it's not fixed and that's why it's like hanging there. Or then it's just the wrong levelling, in that case you should go to your dealer. They will check it out and fix I suppose!

Best regards, Alex

Regards

Best regards, Alex

Best regards, Alex

So you mean only the bulb isn't straight? The projector and the projector's lens are symmetrical on both sides? Check that the bulb is connected correctly, maybe it's not fixed and that's why it's like hanging there. Or then it's just the wrong levelling, in that case you should go to your dealer. They will check it out and fix I suppose!

Best regards, Alex

Will get it checked.. Thanks =D Im getting it lowered within the next week or so aswell. Going to get the Toyota motersport springs. What do you think?

Regards

Regards

Best regards, Alex

Best regards, Alex

Best regards, Alex

Will get it checked.. Thanks =D Im getting it lowered within the next week or so aswell. Going to get the Toyota motersport springs. What do you think?

Regards

Maybe they won't offer enough lowering for your car with those big wheels, but you'll get some quality product. Why do you want TTE? They are much more expensive than many others!

Best regards, Alex

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links