Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Water Pump Leak, 2.2 D4d.

rav man

Just got mine back from servive, water pumps leaking , £900 :o . Anyone else had this . I suspect it will be going up for sale soon

:angry: .

R

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anchorman

• HEMI

• rav man

• tatteam

Top Posters In This Topic

is it a proper leak or a furry pink residue clinging from the water pump,how do they know its from the pump?did they take the timing belt cover off?how much water have you been losing?if it is leaking ask them to replace the timing belt whilst they're there,it should only cost extra the price of the belt as its gotta come off anyway.I'm not saying it is or it isnt leaking but that's one of the oldest tricks going.You should ask them to show you the leak,or at least the tracks of the fluid running down the engine

HEMI - no belt on this one it has a chain but I agree that a water stain or build up of residue is probably nothing to worry about. They can run for years like that. The manual calls for the engine out which is probably where the cost comes from but I can tell you that I would do a hell of a lot of struggling before I took an engine out for a water pump. I think I would go to the local indie who might look with more of an open mind rather than the agent who is guided with the book. Kingo will sell you a water pump at a discounted rate and no doubt HEMI would have a go at it if you fancy a ride to Stafford???

ToyotaTechDoc_water.pdf

ToyotaTechDoc_water_2.pdf

Hi,

I have also had the water pump replaced on it's second service, along with the timing casing seal. Engine was taken out to carry out the repairs, which done under warranty. That was a year ago and the garage gave me back the car with diesel fumes entering the cabin ( damaged fuel connection) Plus gear linkage not set up correctly. Car was return to get it fitted, another 2 days in workshop. No longer use this toyota garage.

I didnt realise it was a 2.2,doh,i havent seen or worked on these models yet but if I looked at one I reckon we can take it out without removing the engine

The pump is £88 plus the carriage!

Kingo :thumbsup:

ooops :lol: lmfao

:lol::lol: the power of the internet strikes again.....

Think some mechanics want a talking too.......

Kingo, shows how much the labour is then , its was serviced at your place.

R

The labour includes removing the engine and gearbox which is a big job. It will be expensive. They would have to replace the transmission fluid, re-gas the aircon and replace some of the coolant.

That is why I would try and do it in situ but if it physically cannot be done then the engine may have to be even partially removed and you can expect it to be expensive even at an indie.

I just read this thread and it defies belief that a modern car manufacturer with all the latest design software, can produce a car that does not allow enough clearance to replace certain key components in situ. Its easy these days using design software to specify "service envelopes" around key components, then as an engine gets designed in to the chassis these problems don't occur. Bottom line I am sure they don't care, water pump life should be greater than the warranty (in most cases any extended warranty) so the customer pays.

I am not just having a go at Toyota, my brother recently had a quote for an Audi A6 cam-belt replacement (US rip-off model), which required the removal of most of the front of the car !!!

It makes me laugh, when you read the certain car magazines reviews which include the low servicing costs for the first three years, they don't tell you that a year 4 & 5 they will make up for it all if your stupid enough to keep the car :-)

So now when you buy a car you intend to keep for more than three years, you need to check !!

Cam-belt - replacement cost

Dual mass flywheel - reliability

Diesel pump - complexity & reliability & cost

Water pump - replaceable with engine in

Tyres - Which run flat system, how much

Other mega service costs past three years !!

Rant over

Ian

yes the A6 does need the front of the car removed but the job is only 2.9 hours for a 2.0 litre model,the job time for a Rav D4D is 3.3 hours and there isnt much room to work in there

R

Yes I know you did!

As mentioned above, to remove the engine is a massive job

Toyota wont be the first or last manufacturer to have servicable parts in inaccessible places, I remember the V6 Vauxhall engine where you had to remove the manifolds to change the plugs :eek:

Hi, My car was in for 3 days to replace water pump, timing chain casing seal and another 3 days to repair their F--- ups. All under warranty.

That's just outrageous...From the quote he has.. £900 quid to replace a water pump that part that costs £88, so @say £80 hour it takes them 10 hours.... :eek::eek::eek::eek: (I'm in the wrong job.......)

What do they charge for a headlight bulb change.....£1000...

It's when designers start blaming us purchasers for the cost to fix cars because we want cutting edge design... and they cant build in the fact that areas on a car may need attention more than others and the fact if will cost an arm and a leg to fix....Along with the Run Flat fiasco....DMF build quality..now this water pump cost... I thinks the next purchase I buy, wont be a new RAV4...... ;) ;)

That's just outrageous...From the quote he has.. £900 quid to replace a water pump that part that costs £88, so @say £80 hour it takes them 10 hours.... :eek::eek::eek::eek:(I'm in the wrong job.......)

Had a quote from a solicitor recently?

Mine wanted £600 for what they admitted was about 2.5 hours work :eek:

Our rates have been held for a long time now, but the costs associated with the business have gone through the roof. Ours are the lowest main dealer prices in the area, some German marques in the area are charging over £100 an hour. It's the things you don't get to see that cost a fortune, tens of thousands for insurance, computer licences and fees charged every month by the manufacturer to access their systems, the list is endless. Fred in the shed can halve our prices and still make more gross profit, because he doesnt have the costs associated with being a main dealer

Rant over :lol:

R

Yes I know you did!

As mentioned above, to remove the engine is a massive job

Toyota wont be the first or last manufacturer to have servicable parts in inaccessible places, I remember the V6 Vauxhall engine where you had to remove the manifolds to change the plugs :eek:

what v6 vauxhall engine?? if its the one in the omega/vectra you dont have to remove manifolds to remove plugs at all

Well , boys and girls , just be aware that at 35K miles you may be looking at an engine out job.

(I do find it a tad gauling that i was asked if i wanted the air con re gassing , as from above this would have to be done anyway if the engine came out, now that shows ingenuity, charging you on one day to re gas it then charging you again when you have the water pump changed).

:angry:

R

Did you also get the charge for the biscuits for there tea as well.... :unsure:

I'm not quite sure what is happening here - these emotive comments aren't helping. Is this water pump being done? If so by whom - or is it still under discussion? We now have a seperate case of a water pump "leaking" and the warranty people are saying that this must have been so during the warranty period. This a pain in one respect but can be used to our advantage in another = but only if we know just what the score is so far.

I've just looked at mine and I think if you removed the front engine mounting you would get it out with the engine in.

I thought as much,its like the 5 cyl Fiat Marea,they say you have to take the engine out to do the timing belt,we drop the eng mount and lower the front,its a bit tight but do-able,so I reckon the same for the Rav water pump too

Ravman, Similar to another post about warranty issues, you say your car is a 2.2 d4d which means it has to be a 4.3 so unless i am wrong (it has been known) surely its under 3 yr old + still under manufacturers warranty. 3yrs or 60,000 mls.. Stew

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links