Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Water Pump Leak, 2.2 D4d.

rav man

Cheers guys,

Next time ill ask here before letting Toyota near my Toyota, :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

RM

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anchorman

• HEMI

• rav man

• tatteam

Top Posters In This Topic

hi folks

about a year ago when my rav suffered from 'strange howling noise',my local dealership thought its may have been the 'water pump' making the noise.

this was replaced under warranty,while i had a c.car for a afternoon,so me reckons thats about 3 hrs..ish.

so definatly not a engine out job on a 4.2 !!

rambler

• 1 year later...

took the 4.3 2.2D XT4 into local toyota earlier this week to have parking sensors sorted out, just collected the car today and they said they had noticed 'staining' around the water pump so have replaced it under warranty; well they say they had but didn't give me any actual paperwork to show that, only a visual inspection report

they said they had just spent 9hrs labour @ £108 inc.vat per hour, which included removing the engine, gearbox et al;

so including the pump (£88), coolant (£27) he said it could have been approaching £1200, and asked me if I would like to take out a 5yr extended warranty

I don't know if this is BS or not, and I've never noticed any overheating on the coolant gauge.

You don't always notice it as most water pumps weep a little during warm up and leave the tell tale stain. However, the proper manual does call for the engine out but frankly you can do the water pump with it in.

yes you can do the pump in place and its very easy to do so..

also if you do suffer head gasket failure toyota do cover this for 5 years or 100k anyway

Mine too had to be replaced as soon as the warranty elapsed.It started leaking from the shaft seal as I found traces of fluid there. I did the work my self and there's no need to remove engine out. One must only support engine from beneath so to remove engine mounting. Pump cost me €120. And believe that soon is time for the head gasket. The reason the pump leaks is that excess pressure is accumulated in the system I believe.

I'm going to start hating TOYOTA.....

yes you can do the pump in place and its very easy to do so..

also if you do suffer head gasket failure toyota do cover this for 5 years or 100k anyway

Hi,

can anyone confirm this waranty for I've been to the one and only Local Toyota dealear on the island and they do know nothing about it and are to check about it.

Hope its real. :huh:

im a licenced tec for a main toyota dealer i have rebuilded more of these engines than i care to remember....100k or five years.......i rebuilt a 96k 5 year old (nearly 6) for free......

lexus is220's suffer this problem too

im a licenced tec for a main toyota dealer i have rebuilded more of these engines than i care to remember....100k or five years.......i rebuilt a 96k 5 year old (nearly 6) for free......

lexus is220's suffer this problem too

Thanks mate, you're of great help. But seem that my local dealer is not aware of the situation, or at least he's pretending to I assume. He said he's still to confirm and will call me back. ;)

he prob doesnt want the greef these engines are not nice to strip and rebuild...

tell your local dealer to phone a dealer overhere or to contact toyota direct and they will confirm

he prob doesnt want the greef these engines are not nice to strip and rebuild...

tell your local dealer to phone a dealer overhere or to contact toyota direct and they will confirm

Thanks, that's what we concluded, so now I'm waiting for their reply.

I'll keep you informed. :unsure:

• 1 year later...

Sorry to open an old thread, however I can't find anything else on this. My 2007 Rav 4 2.2 D4-D XTR went in for a service this week, and Toyota tell me that my Water Pump is leaking. I hadn't noticed the coolant being low beforehand, however I am now checking it after every journey, and can see that the coolant has dropped a bit after 30min + journeys (but not on shorter ones that I can see). Toyota want £1200 to replace this £90 part. I'm pretty sure that my local mechanic would try and do it without removing the engine, but I would like to show him some proof that it has been done before, or some rough guidelines on how to do it.

Can someone give me a quick breakdown on what he would have to do to replace the pump without removing the engine, or point me in the direction of someone in the Heathrow area that has done this already.

Thanks.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links