Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dash Has Come Up With 3 Warning Messages (Heeelp!)

Seth1

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Smiler AS

• Seth1

• shcm

• anchorman

The above seems to suggest that whenever I need the ABS / speed sensors to work, ie. either braking, engaging 4WD ie. starting in snow.

Is the Rav thinking, err, one dodgy signal from the rear right ABS and throwing up codes.

If i drive like a wimp, the ABS isnt needed, therfore no warning lights / codes.

No not really. The ABS/VSC algorithms are quite involved, but simply the ABS/VSC ECU will be continuously monitoring wheelspeed inputs for credibility and against all the other wheels and probably the yaw rate/accel sensor. The sensors are "working" all the time. I see what you mean though, perhaps something odd is happening under accel/decel.

Would that not throw up code on diagnostic though?

Unlikely, unless you have left the ignition "on" i.e. engine management powered up, with EGR removed.

It's possible it is EGR. Yes, we've seen it before. The DTCs that are thrown up for that are strange, i.e. they in other systems. I do wonder why. Possibly it's a software timing issue in the EMS (Engine Management). e.g. when the EGR sticks and it misses it CAN comms, the other systems then throw a tantrum, because they haven't heard from the EMS, when they were expecting to. Odd though.

Still, in some of these systems there is very often more software involved with diagnostics/safety checking than there is in actual functionality. Sometimes that diagnostic complexity just trips over itself. I've seen it happen when developing other ECUs/Systems.

Anyone know where this K6 connector and Yaw Rate Sensor is located so that I can check it?

It's under the passenger seat. There's a slit in the carpet where the airbag/heated seat/pretensioner harness comes through. It's under the carpet there on a bracket.

Well, think il look at two things, the EGR valve and possibly could be all down to the rear right ABS sensor being blocked, hopefully its easy enough to remove.

For the EGR valve, I took it off for a look, the manifold outlet ports were reasonably clear. Nothing clogging up.

Do you also take apart the valve itself too, the couple of screws and round plate on end of it to get in about the valve?

Man oh man, not even owned the car for a month yet!

I didn't take the end plate off the one on my previous RAV when I cleaned it. No problems, just took it off out of curiosity.

If I remember correctly, if you are careful, once off, you can move the valve by hand to clean it.

No doubt when Anchs is on here next he will comment - he's done more of them than me.

Don't soak it though.

EDIT:

This guide here based on Auris:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=106241&view=963979

some pics from my old one (the Auris guide is better):

eportclean2.jpg

mportclean.jpg

manifoldport.jpg

I think you have inherited those faults from the previous owner. Don't worry - just keep plodding through and you will sort it.

You can safely take the motor off the valve and it will help (3 allen screw) but on one I messed with it was so clogged I put a punch through the inside of the valve and knocked the core plug out of the end. The poppet valve inside still won't come out but you can get at it better. Afterwards, I stood it on top of the vice, added some hylomar sealant and then tapped the plug back in progressively until it bottomed out solid. Then get a small puch and and re-swage the aluminium body. It will make more sense when you look at it. When they are properly clean, the poppet valves will bottom out with a metallic "ping" as they snap shut and there will be absolutely no light when you hold it up to the light.

EDIT: That one on shcm's looks like the end plate unscrews - no problem. The one I did was pressed in and in that respect more difficult but not insurmountable

Bit weird both of us with same codes at same time.

Anyways, had the car today, so tried a few experiments.

Cleared codes after each time, situations the codes came back and warnings flashing away.

1. Starting off in snow (ie. my driveway, track), however not on tarmac (asda in town)

2. If I put the power down.

If i start off in tarmac and drive like a wimp, seems fine.

Thoughts,

The above seems to suggest that whenever I need the ABS / speed sensors to work, ie. either braking, engaging 4WD ie. starting in snow.

Is the Rav thinking, err, one dodgy signal from the rear right ABS and throwing up codes.

If i drive like a wimp, the ABS isnt needed, therfore no warning lights / codes.

Does it sound similar to yours too Seth1?

Yes it does sound very similar....

Will try again to clear all the codes, test your theory...I have it booked in for diagnostics...I will cancel it, whats the point....we now know what the error codes are...

My plan also is to clean the EGR...(weather permitting)...

If that does not do the trick - then wait for the thaw...see if the low voltage due to cold weather theory does the trick...

Thanks to all the contributers on this Forum for the Information supplied..

I am trying not to get dissapointed with this car....

Cheers!

I think you have inherited those faults from the previous owner. Don't worry - just keep plodding through and you will sort it.

EDIT: That one on shcm's looks like the end plate unscrews - no problem. The one I did was pressed in and in that respect more difficult but not insurmountable

Yep, bit of a pain, especially when we need the 4wd right now.

I have the same, the end plate unscrews too. Its got a sealant on it too though.

Think I might take it apart from the motor side with the allen keys.

Just wanted to check before I did so, just incase anything popped out under tension etc.

Probably be Thursday before I can look at it though.

Update:

Missus went into town thi morning to drop of kids at school, no warning lights all the way in to town. However school car park is on a slope and hadnt been cleared yet. When she went to move off, the lights/warnings all came on again.

Failing that, will have to see about getting in about the rear right abs sensor to see if they are "genuine" codes or generated false codes.

Is that an easy job to remove ABS sensor?

33 (C0210) - Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Signal

38 (C1238) - Foreign Object is Attached on Tip of Rear Speed Sensor RH

Garage across the road form work said they have had three people in with various cars with ABS lights on, 2 of them just need cleaning, 1 was new sensor.

One of them was a Nissan Navara which wouldnt let them engage 4wd... sounds familiar!

Parking up in deep snow overnight seemed to be culprit with wather / ice getting in about sensor.

Right enough I have been parking in about 8" of snow this week. Last week during the "thaw", there was no problem at all.

Hopefully get a decent day soon that I can check it out, garage said also to try cleaning the electrical plus connector on the sensor too, water and crud can sometimes get into it too.

Seth1, are you parking up in deep snow too?

Garage across the road form work said they have had three people in with various cars with ABS lights on, 2 of them just need cleaning, 1 was new sensor.

One of them was a Nissan Navara which wouldnt let them engage 4wd... sounds familiar!

Parking up in deep snow overnight seemed to be culprit with wather / ice getting in about sensor.

Right enough I have been parking in about 8" of snow this week. Last week during the "thaw", there was no problem at all.

Hopefully get a decent day soon that I can check it out, garage said also to try cleaning the electrical plus connector on the sensor too, water and crud can sometimes get into it too.

Seth1, are you parking up in deep snow too?

Well mine started before the real snow hit to be honest (but there was terrible frosts and windy swirls of small amounts of snow...but it is in deepish snow now! ...also can't seem to engage 4wd lock now - tried this morning...

By the way were is the ABS sensor so I can attempt to clean this later in the week weather permitting...

Cheers!

...also can't seem to engage 4wd lock now - tried this morning...

By the way were is the ABS sensor so I can attempt to clean this later in the week weather permitting...

Cheers!

Weird, Im exactly the same now too. No 4wd lock either.

Im hoping one of the more knowledgable guys will tell us where and how to get to the rear ABS sensor.

Could possibly be a bit of a bu**er to get to, with the fancy disc / inboard drum setup on the rear of the Ravs.

Whatever it is, its exactly the same issue!

...also can't seem to engage 4wd lock now - tried this morning...

Cheers!

Weird, Im exactly the same now too. No 4wd lock either.

Im hoping one of the more knowledgable guys will tell us where and how to get to the rear ABS sensor.

Could possibly be a bit of a bu**er to get to, with the fancy disc / inboard drum setup on the rear of the Ravs.

Whatever it is, its exactly the same issue!

Drove 30 MIles to work this morning - no change - drove "Sweet as a nut!"....

I am in 2 minds to leave it till the thaw, clear the messages and see what happens....

What are your intentions....??

Its tempting to leave it, the ABS one went off this morning.

But then the check engine light appeared..thats new. :crybaby:

2 additional codes appeared today,

VSC 51

4WD 82

Also C1241

These clear, but come up as soon as car is started.

C1241 - is this going to be the "source", quick google search "Low Battery Positive Voltage or Abnormally High Battery Positive Voltage"

3 weeks into new Rav ownership....cant say its going well. :unsure:

First step, I know, be put in down to local Toyota dealer.

I know I have 1yrs Toyota used warranty (bought from RRG Bolton 3 weeks ago.

Am I entitled to a courtesy car while its in?

Ok, making progress now.

Today, Battery test, 8.2v, .mmmmmm

Replaced Battery,

(I wonder if Seth1's 30mile drive might have helped bring the Battery back to life?)

Cleared the check codes,

Went for a drive and no codes or warnings.

All gone (check engine, check vsc, check 4x4, check abs),

4wd diff lock working on/off, abs working, then after 5 mins,

just normal driving Check VSC came up,

Done another check,

P/S 41,42 are there but cant get them to go away.

P/S 41 relates to U0105 - Lost Communication With Fuel Injector Control Module - think that could be battery related again.

P/S 42 relates to U0121 - Lost Communicationwith ABS Control Module - think that could be battery related again.

(She is driving and braking spot on)

Check VSC has now gone, but wondering if it will reappear with P/S 41 & 42 codes still lingering there.

Any ideas?

Would disconnecting the battery for a period clear them?

Just been looking around the tinternet...

Click Here

Some good items in there, but cant belive the last quote:

I Quote:

I had the malfunction lamp, VSC and 4WD warning lights all come on yesterday morning when i started my 08 RAV4 for work in the morning.

I took it to the dealership and it turns out that my fuel cap was loose. problem solved.

lesson: check your fuel cap, 4wd lock and vsc button (if you have one) befor taking it in

Smiler - keep us posted ref. the Battery....I might think about changing it....It fits in with the cold weather and the affect it can have on electrics...

I wonder if charging the Battery and then trying it out would at least indicate it was the Battery...mmmm

Seth1, will do.

Now, if I can just get rid of the P/S 41,42 codes that would make my day.

Hopefully this will see and end to this topic soon.

Guys (Marsky / Anchs / Schm in particular) - I have never appreciated being on a forum so much. Thank you for your inputs.

I assume you did use the slightly different procedure for alledgedly clearing P/S faults?:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=119158&view=findpost&p=1071657

ooops, must have flown by that one. Il give it a go tomorrow.

So far, so good.

All the way home, fine.

Even stopped to test abs, traction control, 4wd - all came on as and when required.

Was -2 this morning, took a few cranks to start, -8 at finishing time, started instantly with the new Battery in too.

Home tonight, double checked tight connections to terminals ans plenty of vasoline on the connections to keep the damp/frost out.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PS. I can nowhand it back to the wife and get my wee Giant back, so much more "fun" to drive.

The ABS sensor is the peed sensor on a RAV. I will find you the info when I'm at my desktop.

Tried disconnecting the Battery last night....no lights on the dash...as soon as I hit the brakes....all errors came back....

Have not gone into work this morning, more snow overnight so I am WFM (working from home)...

When I get a chance I will test Battery voltage and get a new Battery if required...be interesting to see if I get the same results

Smiler, did you just put a voltage reader across the terminals ???

My concern is that yesterday having done 30 miles there and 30 back, then clearing the faults, that you would think my battery would be in reasonable condition...but as said the battery must be the original and possibly require replacement..

Smiler did you just get a battery from Halfords...or get something a bit better...

I assume you did use the slightly different procedure for alledgedly clearing P/S faults?:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=119158&view=findpost&p=1071657

Nope didnt work, Il keep trying it, I might be going in and our (oo err) of port 4 too quickly.

Engine Check Light, popped up briefly too lasst night.

Scan thingy said P0400.

Its not come back yet.

Just a cheapy from Halfords at moment.

Yeh, just a handheld voltmeter thingy was used.

OK the reading on my voltmeter was 12.1 volts - that is after it not being run for atleast 18 hrs so I think our root causes might be slightly different...

Oh Burger....I'll get me coat!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links