Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Electronic Handbrake Failure

smurphy26

7 hours ago, Masondog said:

When you turn the ignition off it is supposed to come on. You shouldn't be able to leave the car with the keys on you without it setting.

If the car is rolling (presumably above a certain speed) it won't set. Another user has suggested that if you switch off & exit the car very quickly it may not set (I haven't checked this but I may try).

I must admit that I always park the car in gear but then again I am also one of what I presume is a very small club who also park their cars on hills with front wheels angled to the kerb.

44 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

If the car is rolling (presumably above a certain speed) it won't set. Another user has suggested that if you switch off & exit the car very quickly it may not set (I haven't checked this but I may try).

I must admit that I always park the car in gear but then again I am also one of what I presume is a very small club who also park their cars on hills with front wheels angled to the kerb.

It wasn't rolling I was holding it on the foot brake.

Just now, Masondog said:

It wasn't rolling I was holding it on the foot brake.

Sorry just read the whole quote, I agree ifeel that is what happened to me, I managed to beat the brake!! Also my neighbour has the same car and he has experienced the same!!

8 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Yes I know that.

Toyota's advice to you, which you said you accepted, was not to leave the vehicle without checking the handbrake was set. So there are two scenarios - either the handbrake doesn't set or the set handbrake fails.

Just now, Masondog said:
8 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Yes I know that.

Toyota's advice to you, which you said you accepted, was not to leave the vehicle without checking the handbrake was set. So there are two scenarios - either the handbrake doesn't set or the set handbrake fails.

I accept it was my responsibility to check the brake is on before I leave the car, but I didn't do anything different than any other occasion I assumed that the brake was set, I don't recall seeing the red brake light on the dashboard, therefore I don't know whether the brake set and then failed or failed to set, I assumed upon finding the car stopped against the 3rd party car that the brake failed to set, also Toyota have said once the brake is set it can't come off on it's own!! The code was for overheating, I feel this is completely wrong.

Then again if you had left the car in the appropriate gear or in Park, it wouldn't have rolled.

Yes it's easy with hindsight to say what I should have done, but the point I'm trying to make is that the brake should come on when you turn the ignition off and it didn't , and Toyota are blaming a fault which I few is wrong.

It isn't hindsight at all, it is good practice - same as checking the handbrake has been set.

I will add my experience of the EPB and also rear disc brakes. 

Unlike previous cars the parking brake works on the discs only. When the disc are warm from use the metal expands. Then as the metal cools they contract. This means on a disc only system, if the brakes are applied the pressure on the discs may lesson slightly. This could mean the car could roll. That is why it may be advisable to engage first or reverse, and point the front wheels into the curb, if the car is parked on an incline especially after heavy brake use.

Now just before Christmas, I forgot to engage the EPB and the car rolled very gently into a wooden telegraph pole. I was just getting out and tried to reach the button, but it was too late. Yes it was my fault for not checking. At that time I was using my old MK1 more and using the handbrake was natural to me. I also have driven my brothers Renault Grand Scenic and the EPB engages when the engine switches off. My Mk3 is a manual, and the EPB auto releases, but the driver has to press the button to set the EPB. 

Once the EPB would not release. I had to switch the car off then back on, and I pulled the button to make sure it would release, which it did.

The condition of the brakes all round were poor, with low pads and lipped discs, so all the discs and pads were changed. This seems to have fixed a lot of my concerns. The brakes are more consistent and the EPB works fine. One advantage with the early system, is that no special service mode is needed when dealing with the rear brakes. Just don't engage the EPB.

Now I drive the Mk3 only, I have got into the habit of checking the EPB has engaged, and engage a gear if necessary. I also avoid large puddles and standing water if possible!

I don't like EPB, but with every manufacturer adding these systems to their cars, you cannot avoid them.  

"I don't like EPB, but with every manufacturer adding these systems to their cars, you cannot avoid them".  

Hadn't come across this thread until now.  Very interesting, and has finally put me off buying an Avensis with EPB later this year.  Perhaps one day the problem with EPBs will become so common that the press, perhaps Honest John, will get hold of it.  Why should the public be fobbed off with devices on cars which are not fit for purpose - bit like dual mass flywheels.  As the posts here have shown, the problem is not just with older cars.  I expect a car to last 10+ years.  I've had 3 cars which have reached or nearly reached 200k,  Nedless to say, none were what might be described as "modern generation", and they were all blessed with not having much technology.

Fortunately my Corolla is not fitted with much modern gadgetry either :smile:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Then again if you had left the car in the appropriate gear or in Park, it wouldn't have rolled.

39 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

It isn't hindsight at all, it is good practice - same as checking the handbrake has been set.

Do you work for Toyota by any chance??

No. Before retiring at 54, I was a procurement manager.

8 minutes ago, Notoyboy said:

"I don't like EPB, but with every manufacturer adding these systems to their cars, you cannot avoid them".  

Hadn't come across this thread until now.  Very interesting, and has finally put me off buying an Avensis with EPB later this year.  Perhaps one day the problem with EPBs will become so common that the press, perhaps Honest John, will get hold of it.  Why should the public be fobbed off with devices on cars which are not fit for purpose - bit like dual mass flywheels.  As the posts here have shown, the problem is not just with older cars.  I expect a car to last 10+ years.  I've had 3 cars which have reached or nearly reached 200k,  Nedless to say, none were what might be described as "modern generation", and they were all blessed with not having much technology.

Fortunately my Corolla is not fitted with much modern gadgetry either :smile:

Hi Martin,

I was also put off the Avensis due to the EPB, but my brother has what could be classed as an even worse system on his Renault, plus I read up on the Vauxhall Insignia problems. Now think how many cars have been sold with these systems, then how many failures have happened. On the Avensis, I think only a small percentage. I also found the biggest cause of failure is cars wading through deep flood water. Basically water ingress. Never jet wash water towards the unit!

With all the info plus a place that repairs the unit at a far cheaper cost, I went for the Mk3. There is too much I like about the car not to be put off. My next car may be a hybrid and they all come with EPB! I am also looking at the Auris Touring and that car still has a handbrake on the non-hybrid version. For now I will enjoy the Avensis Mk3.

Hi Konrad,

Appreciate your comments.  I accept that ultimately I may have no option but to buy a car with EPB.  Of course, buying second hand, one has no control over a previous owner driving through deep water, or even a puddle :sad:

The Auris Touring might be an option for me.  Alternatively a late Avensis Mk2 (2007-09), but not easy finding a good low mileage one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 27 January 2011 at 6:04 PM, RK123456 said:

My Avensis is March 2009. I had an electronic handbrake actuator fail a few weeks ago, see post "Electronic Parking Brake - Why?"

It went to the dealers to fit a new actuator, the car was out of warranty, 68k miles.

I asked how much the repair would cost (the car is a leased vehicle) and was told about £1,000 (£675 for the actuator, 2.1/2 hours labour plus VAT.

In my opinion, the electronic handbrake is an expensive solution to a problem that did not exist.

All it means is that when somebody is the 2nd or 3rd owner of an Avensis that is a few years old, a failed parking brake actuator will lead to the car being scrapped due to the high cost of repair.

On 3/13/2016 at 6:54 PM, Notoyboy said:

Hi Konrad,

Appreciate your comments.  I accept that ultimately I may have no option but to buy a car with EPB.  Of course, buying second hand, one has no control over a previous owner driving through deep water, or even a puddle :sad:

The Auris Touring might be an option for me.  Alternatively a late Avensis Mk2 (2007-09), but not easy finding a good low mileage one.

My friend recently bought a nice Avensis Mk2 2008 and it was not easy. He saw a few and some were not in the condition advertised, He eventually found the best example. I did look at get a Mk2 myself as the EPB did put me off. The Mk2 in mint condition and low mileage, can sometimes cost more than a Mk3! The only problem with Mk2 to some, is it an older model (nothing wrong with that), and the diesels engine issues. The petrols are great.

The Auris touring sport is a much younger car, with a good choice of engines. I wish the 1.8 valvematic was available in the UK, as the 1.6 is a bit lacking in torque, yet has the same emissions and fuel economy as the bigger engine! That is why I like my Tourer.

I looked at the rival Honda Civic and the slightly later Civic Tourer available from 2012. Both are petrol versions and the have proper handbrakes.     

6 hours ago, Konrad C said:

I looked at the rival Honda Civic and the slightly later Civic Tourer available from 2012. Both are petrol versions and the have proper handbrakes.

Interesting.  Shall add them to my list.  Toyota take note!

1 minute ago, Notoyboy said:

Toyota take note!

Probably a wasted comment, as we don't know whether Toyota visit this forum .....

I think that you will probably find the next generation Civic moving to an EPB as well - the US version appears to have already. 

• 1 month later...

I've had my Avensis TR estate since new (2012) I've had numerous problems, had the handbrake change twice already and it's booked in again for a handbrake replacement. For some odd reason the actuator keeps failing nice one Toyota very reliable my      . Had alternator pulleys replaced 6 yes SIX times, was making a really loud screeching noise every time I was in a low gear and building up speed very embarrassing especially when you fork out 20k for a sexy looking car. I've had headlights fail the new drl is a pile of      Only the warranty is the only satisfactory thing about the whole !Removed! episode, I definatley will not be buying a new Toyota anytime soon back to the good old skodas.

Best of luck with VAG.

• Like 1

It was endless problems with VAG cars (and in particular a Skoda Octavia) that made me start buying Toyotas.

Yep, plenty problems to read about on the Skoda forums too.

What really put me off VAG cars was the manufacturer's apparent desire to sweep numerous issues under the carpet in recent years rather than fixing them, eg oil pump failures on the 2.0 TDi, conrod failures on the 1.9 TDi, Teves ESP unit failures, piezo injector failures and quite a few others, and of course now the emissions cheat scandal has come to light. At least Toyota do tend to admit their own mistakes and try and fix them.

How would VW group have handled the problems with the early 2.2 D4D engine for example? Offer an extended 7 year warranty? Nah just deny all knowledge would be my guess.

• 2 years later...

i have a 2012 toyota avensis had it four years and the electronic brake has let me down many time had to run along side of my car and jump in to stop it  its time toyota recalled all avensis with this massive expensive problom  fred 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links