Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sub & Amp

corollat3sport

hey guys,

I want to get a sub woofer or sub & amp package for my car as i want more bass? anyone know where I can get a nice cheap deal from?

also I have an after market pioneer CD player installed on my car so I would really appreciate if you guys can help me on how to install a sub and amp to me car lol

I ain't really good with I.C.E so all advice will be really appreciated

thanks guys thumbsup.gif

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wangtastic

• corollat3sport

• pimp1chez

• compress'rolla

First off what's the model number of your headunit?

reason I ask is cos it'll ideally need to have RCA Pre-outs to be able to run a sub (although there are ways around it if it doesn't)

and secondly what sorta budget we looking at?

and lastly what type of music are ya gonna be blasting?

cheers

Steve

just like wangtastic said it all comes down to budget , i started of with this clicky and the matching amp many years ago .still use the box now .

If your on a budget ,youl will get these very cheap , i paed 95 quid for mine ,wiring kit and matching amp 3yrs ago .they are always up for sale

thanks for the quick response guys thumbsup.gif

this is my headunit that I have at the moment:

http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/25/121/61/DEH-2320UB/index.html

i haven't really got a high budget but i would like more bass and was thinking is it possible just to add a subwoofer or do i need an amp?

also another thing is that i would really love that twin subwoofer but i cant as i need space in the boot lol

oh yeah and the music i would be blasting will be hip hop/rap, nothing too crazy lol

some of the songs have nice bass that my Speakers cant get too :(

if you're not fussed about quality then those fusion 12s are a good place to start, cheap to buy, easy to install and they'll add the missing low notes from the music

Well good news is the HU has an RCA pre-out :D

(I quite like the look of that HU actually) :)

now then, subs...

you will need to amp the sub up for it to run unfortunately, as the amp needs to decode and pass over the range of frequencies that the subwoofer can replicate.

pimpchez is bang on with what he said, when I first installed my soundsystem I was on a pretty low budget, I spent £50 on a subwoofer and had next to no money left for an amp! :(

I would strongly advise going secondhand for the amp as you can get some really good baragins like:

This

or

This

If you want to buy new there are (again) some good deals on the bay such as:

This one

and

This one

again I haven't done much digging so there might be more gems out there for you to find :)

Avoid unbranded or "cheapo" branded amps.

My personal opinion is not to go second hand for the actual subwoofer though as you never really know how people have treated them (possible thrashing) and due to size they are normally collection only and if they are posted then the cost of that alone can outweigh the savings you'd make against buying a new sub.

I have used both kicker and JL audio before and both have been extremely good.

This is what I have presently.

and This is what I used to have.

I'm guessing you'll want an enclosed sub (unless you're planning to build you're own box?) there are two types of enclosed subs you can go for:

Ported and Sealed

you can find the differences here:

http://www.klausaudio.com/subwoofer-box-articles/sealed-vs.-ported.php

again thanks for the super fast response

right so basically i should get a new subwoofer as used subs can be abused by thier previous owners

i should get a used amp as they are cheap

also i have to look for a good brand as cheapo ones arent any good

well i have found this package

can you guys tell me if its any good?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_categoryId_165702_productId_508555_langId_-1&cm_mmc=Criteo-_-ReserveCollect-_-Product-_-Na#dtab

thanks again guys thumbsup.gif

and thank you wangtastic for your comment about my HU, really appreciate it

and also thank you pimpchez and corollad4d for understanding my budget and what i meant by the missing bass lol

You got it :thumbsup:

That edge one looks like a winner to me as it's pretty darn cheap and it's smaller than the Mutant one, and I seem to remember you being concerned about boot space?

dont be too concerned with boot space if you want a twin set up , i get like 5 asda bags of shopping in there with mine ,plenty of space .

as for that edge one i think thats a bit of a billy bargain , when you come to upgrade (belive me you`l end up wanting more power :lol: )you should be able to get a good return on ya investment there .

as for what music you listen to ,well i strongly advise you get component Speakers .when i got my t-sport there was 50cents get rich or die trying cd left in the headunit ,my god did it sound awful on the standard set up . i know have Thesethe difference onces you set them up correctly with your amp is like night and day , the tweeters pierce the vocals through your skull

Like you i do everything on a budget ,bit of a bargain hunter :thumbsup:

haha pimpchez how funny I just ordered those HiFonics Last friday,

FYI that site no longer stocks them (i rang them) are they a good speaker?

I have the ZXI co-ax 6x9's in the rear and they are outstanding!

haha pimpchez how funny I just ordered those HiFonics Last friday,

FYI that site no longer stocks them (i rang them) are they a good speaker?

I have the ZXI co-ax 6x9's in the rear and they are outstanding!

***** i have just looked at my grammer and spelling ,man i fail lol.

anyway yes they are.they have been on sale for like forever ,i got mine in january for 85,then i saw then at 50 and sent the others back.

They also match my subwoofers :D

believe it or not ,i only got round to installing them in april ,and tuning them in via the amp last weekend :lol:

The clarity is very good , really cant fault them even at there original price of £120, you can get them to light up aswel ,but i never has the time to hook that up as i ran out of daylight.

When you put them in ,leave the original speaker bracket in place ,and just drill them onto it ,saves the hassle with rivets.

The tweeters ,pull the original 1 off , and super duper glue your new 1 to that bracket.

i actually didnt swear since when was j----e-----e----z a swear word :huh:

Edited by pimpchez

awesome guys thumbsup.gif

now i understand what i need and what i should buy :D

my mate got this in his ride:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110706119292&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1156

he recommended it to me, what do you guys think? any good?

oh and one more problem though...lets say i go on my way all happy and get my self a sub & amp....how do i install it? aha

That looks nice n cheap and a good starter , if you don't have a clue on how to install ,grab a mate who does ,I didn't the 1st time I did 1 ov my cars .just make sure you have a whole day free

That looks nice n cheap and a good starter , if you don't have a clue on how to install ,grab a mate who does ,I didn't the 1st time I did 1 ov my cars .just make sure you have a whole day free

thanks man, aint the installation something like connecting the wiring from the amp to the cd player or vice versa? and then hiding all the wiring in the interior?

or do i need to connect any wires to the Battery.

thanks again!

thanks man, aint the installation something like connecting the wiring from the amp to the cd player or vice versa? and then hiding all the wiring in the interior?

thanks again!

o boy looks like youl need help .i suppose we all got to start somewhere.

is there anyone you know thats even slightly mechanical/electricaly minded ?

1. thread the power cable through the bulkhead (8 awg will do fine for your application) should come through your glovebox

2. passenger side ,carefully pull away the rubber seal for the door ,unlcip the the plastic cover (use two flat head strong screwdrivers)

3. lay the cable down the the passage ,and sneak it past the rear seats (youl probably end up with cut fingers if your not careful )

4.once in the boot ,pull up carpet ,find somehwere for the earth (make sure you sand down to the bare metal , you mite have a ring pull thingy there like i did

5.once you have the power and earth sorted ,lay your rca cable and remote lead(ideally on the drivers side to stop frequency interuption)

6. you may or not have a seperate remote lead on your headunit cabling (i did on my sony one )if you do use that if not ,youl need too tap your remote lead into the cars wiring loom ,should be the yellow cable ,double check this with a electricans screw driver.

7.put everything back together,connect the power cable up ,and turn the bass up

disclaimer . this is just a rough guide on how i did it , follow it at your own risk ,i do not take responsibility for any injurys that may occur.

thanks again!

o boy looks like youl need help .i suppose we all got to start somewhere.

is there anyone you know thats even slightly mechanical/electricaly minded ?

1. thread the power cable through the bulkhead (8 awg will do fine for your application) should come through your glovebox

2. passenger side ,carefully pull away the rubber seal for the door ,unlcip the the plastic cover (use two flat head strong screwdrivers)

3. lay the cable down the the passage ,and sneak it past the rear seats (youl probably end up with cut fingers if your not careful )

4.once in the boot ,pull up carpet ,find somehwere for the earth (make sure you sand down to the bare metal , you mite have a ring pull thingy there like i did

5.once you have the power and earth sorted ,lay your rca cable and remote lead(ideally on the drivers side to stop frequency interuption)

6. you may or not have a seperate remote lead on your headunit cabling (i did on my sony one )if you do use that if not ,youl need too tap your remote lead into the cars wiring loom ,should be the yellow cable ,double check this with a electricans screw driver.

7.put everything back together,connect the power cable up ,and turn the bass up

disclaimer . this is just a rough guide on how i did it , follow it at your own risk ,i do not take responsibility for any injurys that may occur.

LMAO at the disclaimer hehe! Only thing I'd add to that is that earth connections are very important. you should sand down to bare metal and then drill a hole and earth your amp using a nut and bolt. Sorting out a decent earth point will rid you of 90% of post installation noise and feedback issues...

thanks for the instructions guys, is there any photos to go with it?

th_DSC00426.jpg

th_IMAG0009-1.jpg

This is how I got my powerwire into the car (it comes out behind the glovebox)

th_DSC00428.jpg

th_DSC00421.jpg

th_DSC00420.jpg

Through the car

th_DSC00417.jpg

Into the boot

th_DSC00435.jpg

th_DSC00430.jpg

Wiring up :)

There's a rough idea.

I'm in the process of completely re-doing my boot build atm and I'll be taking lots of pictures for that to make a guide so keep an eye out. :)

Alternatively I will happily do any boot installs if anyone is in the Southampton area :)

PIMPERS,

I paid £80 for my HiFonics, turns out car audio warehouse is now Bass Junkies haha!

Can't wait to get 'em in, I already have aftermarket Speakers in there so got the brackets ready to go,

however I've never had tweeters before as my car didn't come with them so having to make my own brackets for those :thumbsup:

th_DSC00426.jpg

th_IMAG0009-1.jpg

This is how I got my powerwire into the car (it comes out behind the glovebox)

th_DSC00428.jpg

th_DSC00421.jpg

th_DSC00420.jpg

Through the car

th_DSC00417.jpg

Into the boot

th_DSC00435.jpg

th_DSC00430.jpg

Wiring up :)

There's a rough idea.

I'm in the process of completely re-doing my boot build atm and I'll be taking lots of pictures for that to make a guide so keep an eye out. :)

Alternatively I will happily do any boot installs if anyone is in the Southampton area :)

PIMPERS,

I paid £80 for my HiFonics, turns out car audio warehouse is now Bass Junkies haha!

Can't wait to get 'em in, I already have aftermarket speakers in there so got the brackets ready to go,

however I've never had tweeters before as my car didn't come with them so having to make my own brackets for those :thumbsup:

glad you could be bothered to do a guide i couldnt haha , thats interesting that there now bass junkies .bass junkies are quite good ,but really expensive on non sale items ,staff always helpful ,i used to live aroud the corner from the wolves one.

i got my fused distribution block from them ,after they said i made a potential death trap with my wiring,i left it and just bought the block anyway haha

i got my subwoofers from them , buy 1 get 1 free 50quid :eek:

will be good to see you make your own bracket for your tweeters ,if youve not had them before make sure you have a decent dance cd handy when you hook them up

haha will do mate :thumbsup:

yeah I ordered my old Clarion Speakers from bassyj's pretty good service all in all.

was a shame that CAW closed cos those £50 hifonics woulda been lush.

oh well £80 isn't that bad if they're as good as I think they'll be :)

cheers mater

cheers wangtastic thumbsup.gif really appreciate the pics mate, makes it a whole lot easier to understand now

Always a possibility?

My mate made himself a kit using an old guitar amp and cab

Got two subs and an amp and wiring that I want rid. It's all lanzar too. Pm me if you want :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links