Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Loss Of Power On Acceleration

Skydesigner

I see...

As far as I know the main purpose of the EGR is to reduce the production of NOx gas during the combusion and then released into the atmosphere. So basically it has an environmental function.

Unplugging or disabling its function would result in a higher combustion temperature with the consequence of creating more NOx.

A car with a disabled EGR probably wouldn't pass the MOT but would still work.

I'm not saying that this is a good thing to do, just saying that disabling the EGR shouldn't have any relevant side effect on the car functioning

All above is just my opinion since I'm not a mechanic or a Toyota engineer.

• Like 1

I doubt the car would fail a UK MOT test. As you say the valve is there to reduce the amount of NOx (Nitrogen oxide) emissions from the engine but the UK MOT does not test for this, They test for Carbon Monoxide (CO) and hydrocarbon (HC)

The engine ECU also wouldn't know about the valve being blocked, it's still getting a signal back from the EGR valve saying it's moving but the exhaust sensor is still connected as well and still getting good readings from the exhaust gasses. The Exhaust sensor or Lambda sensor is reading for the air/fuel ratio and does this by reading oxygen levels in the gasses. It does not read NOx levels.

There is likely to be an increase in fuel consumption it seems though. This website gives some valid points towards the valves purpose and why removing it may cost you more fuel.

http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/2012/05/dont-block-or-remove-the-egr-valve-its-saving-you-money/

Another thing you could do is clean the valve as you are going to try or simply replacing it with another like part. If it's lasted this long as it is then a replacement should last a similar time.

Craig.

• Like 1

Interesting page Craig, thanks for sharing it.

Now, what it says it makes sense and I absolutely agree, but...

- I'm disabling the EGR not to increase my tuning car power but to avoid a potentially fatal problem.

- How much fuel do I have to burn to compensate the 1800 euro of the official Toyota repair? 1250 liters (here in Spain)

Anyways, I'm going for a full cleaning of EGR, collector, and catalyzer, I may consider to replace the EGR if the mechanic says so. If I still see the problem, I know what to do :)

• Like 2

THIS IS FACTORY FAILURE AND I WILL NOT ACCEPT ANY CENTS OF COST , THE TOYOTA JAPAN OR EUROPE MUST CARE AND RESPECT THE OWNERS . THE CAR ALREADY START BE VERY DANGEROUS I CANT RUN FROM SIDE TO SIDE WITHOUT CHECK 20 TIMES IF CAR COMING AND HOW FAST. OWNERS SCREAMING TOYOTA TAKE POSITION OF THIS PROBLEM NOW.

I agree with you 100%.
  • Like 1

The most funny also is that everyone told me that the toyota iq its more economy car that smart for two 1.0 litre before decide to buy it . With this problem now my iq show me today 12.7 litter per 100 kilometres . I have toyota iq but i am driving porsche finally haha.

• Like 1

Which equates to approx 22.2 mpg

The most funny also is that everyone told me that the toyota iq its more economy car that smart for two 1.0 litre before decide to buy it . With this problem now my iq show me today 12.7 litter per 100 kilometres . I have toyota iq but i am driving porsche finally haha.

That is ridiculous! You bought a cat in the sack is as we say here in germany!

• Like 1

Allways thought that was Dutch, David.

Een kat in de zak... :-)

PS @ Gabric098... I was looking at an old Toyota Yaris Verso... maybe this can replace the iQ. Not so many cars nowadays that are so well made as a Toyota... I can not think of any other car...than maybe an other iQ (1.3 engine)... :-)

Like this one: m1cyhv3b399x_480_zps25e3d493.jpg

and

vers-red_zpsa907ea57.jpg

My parents have one of these, had it since new and have gone 250.000kms now.

It does 0,47l/km while my IQ does 0,44l/km, and the Yaris is definitely a faster car. Much smoother gearbox and engine too.

They are also redonkelously practical, with the back seats down and passanger seat all the way forward I got a Aprilia RS250 motorcycle in it without problems!

The seats are not as comfy as in the IQ though.

Only bad point: Sometimes it will not start if it is under -15 celcius for some reason (starter runs but no ignition), it can however be bump-started at those temps.

Of course works like a charm every time the toyota dealership tried to look at it, so this has been left unresolved..

• Like 1

Yeah, it looks a very tough car and if you manage to fit an aprilia 250 inside... wow! that's really big.

Unfortunately it looks horrific to me... but that is just my opinion.

I used to love the first toyota yaris design, but this verso looks a bit weird

• Like 1

Off topic...

Yep...you both are sooo right.

It's a terrible car to look at...but what a practical car! Damn girl..it's practical.

We call it here "a grandmother Duck" car... (Oma Duck)... not sure why...but certainly a very practical and trustworthy car...

Sorry to know that it went out of production in 2005... So, only old ones to get.

Yesterday I had a look (from a distance / on a display) at the all new Smart Fortwo and the Smart Forfour... what a nice car...

And back on topic...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Need some advice! Taken my car to toyota for the EGR issue and they've said it's no longer under warranty so I need to pay for it?! Help!! I'm not paying £1000 to fix it! Time to sell?!

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

Hi guys,

Need some advice! Taken my car to toyota for the EGR issue and they've said it's no longer under warranty so I need to pay for it?! Help!! I'm not paying £1000 to fix it! Time to sell?!

Yes.

Our IQ Auto is having gearbox issues and the dealers can never replicate the problem even though they've evidenced it. They're not going to replace the auto transmission otherwise. I understand that but it has a fault.

We'd love to keep our IQ but with the warranty expiry fast approaching we're looking elsewhere.

So is it time to sell for us too? Yes

Just a quick update on my situation.

As some of you might know I disconnected the electrical cable from the EGR and, while I'm waiting my mechanic to find some time to clean my EGR, I'm driving with the EGR "disabled".

The car, as I said before, it's more responsive and I never had again the problem that most of us are experiencing.

Last week I went on a travel (long weekend) and I drove around 1000km in 3 days. I kept track of the fuel consumption to compare it with a "normal" IQ with EGR. I used on average 5.88 with a peak of 6.66 litres per km (you guys make the conversions to the UK system).

The road was mainly highway with an average speed of 100Km/h half of it was uphill.

Now I'd need some data from you to compare with. Does it consume a lot more?

Am I the only one who finds it totally disgusting that the owners of cars with known faults (which may impact safety) simply try to sell their problematic car to an unsuspecting buyer instead of fixing the issue ?

This kind of behavior only reduces the general trust in used car and ultimately leads to a decrease in the price of used cars.

The buyer of your car is a person, who will use the car, not a bank account. Be responsible just like you would like Toyota to be responsible.

</rant>

Am I the only one who finds it totally disgusting that the owners of cars with known faults (which may impact safety) simply try to sell their problematic car to an unsuspecting buyer instead of fixing the issue ?

This kind of behavior only reduces the general trust in used car and ultimately leads to a decrease in the price of used cars.

The buyer of your car is a person, who will use the car, not a bank account. Be responsible just like you would like Toyota to be responsible.

</rant>

Am I the only one who finds it totally disgusting that the carmakers of cars with known faults (which may impact safety) simply try to deny their problematic car to unsuspecting buyers instead of fixing the issue ?

This kind of behavior only reduces the general trust in used car manufacturers and ultimately leads to a decrease in sales of their cars

The buyer of their car is a person, who will use the car, not a bank account. Toyota needs to be responsible instead of putting our lives at risk!

</rant>

I'd be gutted to sell her but I can't justify £1000 to repair her as she's 5 year old now :(

Sell it and hope that it won't stall during a testride!

</rant>

You can sell your car explaining the buyer what's the issue, maybe he's able to fix it or just wants the car to re-sell parts. Selling the car hiding the problem is clearly bad behaviour even if some people do that.

Toyota's refuse to fix a potentially fatal issue is just another confirmation that all the adverts about post-sell customer care are bull***t. I read somewhere that all the car companies have a legal department which calculates how much a recall campaign would cost and compare it to the risk of some human life loss (in terms of trial and compensation).

Honestly, I found THIS more disgusting.

What made me react like this is that I was able to get the problem fixed by Toyota. I _feel_ like, but I may be wrong, reading this forum, that some people just try once to get the problem fix and their reaction when Toyota refuses is "time to sell", without any mention as to whether the buyer will be informed (and I'm pretty sure, let's be honest, that the buyer will not be informed..... let's be realistic). I do agree that Toyota has a bad behavior but it's not an excuse to behave badly too.

As has been said previously, the only way to get a car manufacturer to take corrective action on a defect that may be safety related, is to report the potential safety problem to the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency, formerly VOSA. This depends on a sufficient number of reports being received, before DVSA will begin talking to the manufacturer. If people don't support the process, then it is no use continuing to complain about potential safety defects being ignored by the manufacturer - whether it is Toyota or another manufacturer.

I didn't say I was going to sell it and not tell anyone! Please do not jump to conclusions.

Why tel it? Toyota didn't tell us either that this car has a life threatening manufacturing failure. And they have the knowledge. So if toyota says it's safe, then it is. Don't tell the buyer and try to sell it to someone who does not have access to internet.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links