Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 Coolant Problem

Scotsman1001

Dont worry about it being slightly over full it will simply blow out of the overflow if it needs to.. If You aren't happy then carefully push a microfibre cloth into the top of the tank it will soon soak it up....

Wee Charlie.

Ooh, that's thinking outside the box! Nice one!

I have looked this morning now the engine is cold and it is only a little over the max so I think I might leave it be.

Thanks for you help.

After feeling that I was getting the runaround from the dealership, I popped down to see how far they had progressed with the car. Nearly cried, the engine was in about a 1000 bits, driveshaft off etc............

This afternoon I was told that there was a little bit of carbon buildup in the engine but not on the pistons and would therefore not qualify to be repaired under the warranty mentioned. The mechanic said that he thought that it may be able to be repaired under a similar warranty? But, would have to get the warranty manager to submit a claim on Monday. The options are, 1. Toyota pay for the repair, 2. Toyota don't pay for the repair, 3. Toyota pay for part of the repair.

And the saga continues .............................................

After feeling that I was getting the runaround from the dealership, I popped down to see how far they had progressed with the car. Nearly cried, the engine was in about a 1000 bits, driveshaft off etc............

This afternoon I was told that there was a little bit of carbon buildup in the engine but not on the pistons and would therefore not qualify to be repaired under the warranty mentioned. The mechanic said that he thought that it may be able to be repaired under a similar warranty? But, would have to get the warranty manager to submit a claim on Monday. The options are, 1. Toyota pay for the repair, 2. Toyota don't pay for the repair, 3. Toyota pay for part of the repair.

And the saga continues .............................................

Now I am completely confused !!!! If Your car was having an engine swap for the VERY COMMON problems that are afflicting the 2AD engine than the Dealer will Not strip Your old engine as this is no longer the way Toyota deal with this problem !!

You My Friend are being had !!! PM Me Your number if You like and I will ring You to discuss exactly what happened with My car and how it was dealt with and why ????...............................

Wee Charlie.

Hi, engine is stripped, but they said that there is no carbon scoring on the pistons, there is a little carbon build up elsewhere though, block is not warped, but the mechanic did say that there is a recognised fault with the engine and that is what he is putting the claim in for. If I get bad news on Monday, I'll be looking at getting a second opinion before kicking up a real storm.

Hi, engine is stripped, but they said that there is no carbon scoring on the pistons, there is a little carbon build up elsewhere though, block is not warped, but the mechanic did say that there is a recognised fault with the engine and that is what he is putting the claim in for. If I get bad news on Monday, I'll be looking at getting a second opinion before kicking up a real storm.

But it is no longer Toyota's policy to strip and rebuild engines of this type ! They. The Dealers that is simply remove the engine and fit a new one !! That was the point of My offer to call You and put You in the picture as to what is done !

Is it possible that You ill informed Dealer has dropped a Bow lark and stripped the engine when He should not have done ?? Perhaps They see a way out ??

As well as getting a complete re-manufactured engine with the new way of dealing with this problem. You get peace of mind as several rebuilt engines have suffered and have had to be done again. None as far as I'm aware of the complete engines have had problems.

Plus the complete engines have had modifications done to the engine blocks as well .......

Wee Charlie.

Charlie is right.

Tell them to stop work as you are only concerned in the repair being done under the current warranty program.

Maybe you know if the warranty program for engine out of warranty - Guidelines 0730J - is valid in Italy too? Thank you in advanced.

Right. I have just come of the phone to the very well versed Service Manager of a very good Toyota Dealer. Sorry No names ect.....

That engine SHOULD simply have been removed and replaced under current Toyota policy simple and END OF !!

He laughed when I read Him the posts describing how the engine has been dismantled.... WHY?....

Because Toyota Dealers as We all know are franchises selling servicing and repairing Toyota products....

These Dealer Franchises have to follow the policy's and instructions of the Company Toyota.

Failure to do so will result in Toyota refusing to pay the Dealer Franchise who is carrying out ANY work outside these sometimes strict guidelines......

Why am I ranting and getting involved I hear You ask ????? Dunno !! I just hate Folk catching the wrong end of the stick when someone else !Removed! up.....

To the OP. Go into the dealer and ask to see all and any documentation current to Your car.. Then question why Your engine has been dismantled when current policy demands that it is removed and returned to Toyota within 7 days of the new engine being supplied......

Rant over. Its Your car after all....

Right. I have just come of the phone to the very well versed Service Manager of a very good Toyota Dealer. Sorry No names ect.....

That engine SHOULD simply have been removed and replaced under current Toyota policy simple and END OF !!

He laughed when I read Him the posts describing how the engine has been dismantled.... WHY?....

Because Toyota Dealers as We all know are franchises selling servicing and repairing Toyota products....

These Dealer Franchises have to follow the policy's and instructions of the Company Toyota.

Failure to do so will result in Toyota refusing to pay the Dealer Franchise who is carrying out ANY work outside these sometimes strict guidelines......

Why am I ranting and getting involved I hear You ask ????? Dunno !! I just hate Folk catching the wrong end of the stick when someone else cocks up.....

To the OP. Go into the dealer and ask to see all and any documentation current to Your car.. Then question why Your engine has been dismantled when current policy demands that it is removed and returned to Toyota within 7 days of the new engine being supplied......

Rant over. Its Your car after all....

.....BUT I WOULD RESPECTFULLY SUGGEST, ANDY, THAT IT ALL BE DONE IN A VERY CALM, EUPHAMISTIC MANNER......the last thing you want to do is get this eejit's back up, because after all, he is currently holding your Rav 4 Jigsaw...sorry....engine, and your car will now be off the road for some time, coz he ain't gonnae rebuild your engine, give you it back, ask Toyota GB for a new one, wait the few weeks it takes to approve and come through, then bring you back in and give you a courtesy car, etc..etc.....

Go ask him to give you your courtesy car NOW, and drive away......he now knows he has cocked up badly, and 5 will get you 10 you new engine goes on order Monday...either that, or me, Bothy, and Charlie pay him a visit, taking Anchorman as the Rensponsible Adult.....he can do your brakes whilst ah make the tea.....

Good Luck, and chill oot....you picked the wrong Dealer....not your fault.

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Have been back to dealership and managed to speak to the mechanic that is working on my car. (I turned up at 1pm, the workshop had closed at 12:30) I explained my concerns, the advice and guidance that you have all very helpfully provided (really appreciated). He assured me that he had followed Toyota guidelines that state that he has to check for the conditions mentioned in the warranty bulletin, used the diagnostic flowchart for this problem and is going through the correct procedures. When I asked him what problem my engine had that was different from the one that is listed on the warranty bulletin that Anchorman provided, he said that I hadn't had a problem with excessive oil consumption. Therefore he is going down a different route to resolve the problem. He also said that there was carbon buildup on the pistons (different from yesterday), but that it was not excessive! I've explained my concerns about a rebuild as opposed to a replacement as it will still bbe a 2AD engine which will probably fail again in a couple of years when the warranty has expired. He reiterated that he was confident that it would still be fixed under warranty but would not get a reply from Toyota until Monday afternoon.

I'm going to wait until I find out on Monday before taking the next step, As Big Kev said, I don't want to annoy the bloke that's got my engine in bits.

Guys, I really appreciate the advice you're giving me.

Sorry Mate but You are being fed a right load of old cobblers .. Toyota have a set guideline in place for ANY of the problems with the 2AD engine. Coking or sooting up the EGR valve. Blowing of head gasket. Excessive oil or fuel consumption . Either one or a combination of all 3 symptoms result in the policy set by Toyota being implemented IE You get a new engine as plain and as simple as that !!!

Toyota require that the old engine is sent back to the in one piece within either 7 or 10 days I cant remember which...

Toyota do NOT require the old engine to be stripped for examination quite the contrary.

If some ill informed person has dismantled that engine which is against Toyota policy and lets remember who is picking up the bill for this then Toyota will not want it back !!

I agree to a point about not wanting to upset the Technician but something is not right here and that's a concrete fact..

My opinion and that's all it is an opinion is that someone has dropped a major sized bow lark and is using a major sized shovel to dig themselves out of it !

My step if I were You would be to respectfully demand that the Dealer follow the repair policy that is in place and fit You a new engine ASAP. I would further be demanding to be shown the Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) that the Dealer will have received from Toyota setting out the correct way of dealing with the problems being experienced with the 2AD engine and asking why this policy has not been carried out in the correct manner !!

If You do not get the right answer contact Toyota Customer Service ASAP !!

Oh and lastly Would You or I trust the word of a so called Technician who says the rebuilt or replaced engine will fail again ???? Words fail Me Mate honest they do !!!!!

Wee Charlie.

.....and furthermore, Andy...."you have not had a problem with excessive oil consumption..."....how the golly gosh does he know that, when he is off implementing another section of "the diagnostic flowchart" whatever that happens to be, without actually suggesting they do the oil consumption test first (or does that go against the "flowchart"...?

I am really glad you are taking what we say as being helpful, coz any anger inferred in our replies is obviously aimed at The Eejit who is reading from a now superseded (massively) set of instructions.

You will be driving a Yaris next week, awaiting the arrival of your new engine....just hope my crystal ball works better than your mechanic's outdated one....

Big Kev :thumbsup:

My offer of calling The OP still stands. There is only so much I can explain and put into words here.. I as most of You know went through the whole process of the oil consumption test and the subsequent engine replacement.. The main difference being My Dealer was spot on and knew the correct procedure and followed it...

Kevin is quite correct in pointing out that the frustration coming through is directed at the........Well complete idiot He is sadly dealing with...

Wee Charlie.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand the verdict:

Spoke to the mechanic this afternoon. He said that Toyota initially rejected the warranty claim, but changed their mind. So am now getting new engine and loan car until mine is fixed.

I can't thank Anchorman, Charliefarlie and BigKev enough for all their advice. Having searched all through the internet for information on the problems that I was having and solutions etc... the only place I found any answers (helpful ones!) was here and from these guys.

Thanks you're worth your weight in gold.

Andy

Spoke to the mechanic this afternoon. He said that Toyota initially rejected the warranty claim, but changed their mind. So am now getting new engine and loan car until mine is fixed.

I can't thank Anchorman, Charliefarlie and BigKev enough for all their advice. Having searched all through the internet for information on the problems that I was having and solutions etc... the only place I found any answers (helpful ones!) was here and from these guys.

Andy

Andy....are ye gettin' a Yaris loany car but...? And if me and Charlie are worth our weight in gold, we could afford to buy the whole forum a new Rav....Anchorman would not count for much....big skinny guy.

Absolute result and celebrate accordingfully....

Big Kev :toast:

Jist a wee aside....he's now got to reassemble your engine, as Toyota GB do not have time nor inclination for jigsaws....

Andy. So pleased its all turned out well !! I was getting quite exited for a while there !!! I just hate it when someone is being given the shi$$tty end of the stick My new engine is much quieter smoother and pulls like a train !! MPG is up by an absolute mile !!

I'm sure Yours will be the same.... Consider paying that wee bit extra and get a new clutch fitted while the labour content is free. I did just this even though My clutch felt fine And it proved to be the best 300 quid I've spent !! The take up point is lower down and the gear-change which is not the Ravs strongest point is now extremely good !!!

Wee Charlie.

I nominate the learned gentlemen for at least 1 star for their efforts :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Del

Andy

Andy....are ye gettin' a Yaris loany car but...? And if me and Charlie are worth our weight in gold, we could afford to buy the whole forum a new Rav....Anchorman would not count for much....big skinny guy.

Absolute result and celebrate accordingfully....

Big Kev :toast:

Jist a wee aside....he's now got to reassemble your engine, as Toyota GB do not have time nor inclination for jigsaws....

A Yaris Kev ??? I was give an Aygo !!!!!! Good job I'm only wee !............................. :thumbsup:

Wee Charlie.

I've got lots of gadgets but don't seem to have one for dishing stars out :unsure:

BK's got a point about the weight thing, I wouldn't mind half my weight in gold.

What time does the chippy shut? :rolleyes:

I've got lots of gadgets but don't seem to have one for dishing stars out :unsure:

BK's got a point about the weight thing, I wouldn't mind half my weight in gold.

What time does the chippy shut? :rolleyes:

To what are you referring that the joiner shuts,O Dweller of the Peaks? :yahoo:

Anyway I understand from reports on here that you are a dab hand,woodworkwise,so why would you need a chippy? :rolleyes:

Del

• Like 1

Ha ha.

I suppose a bit of wood bashing would take my mind off food for a while :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Hello

New member looking for advice on serious coolant loss issue with yes you guessed it, my 2007 2.2 D4d Rav4 Xtr. Same symptoms as original poster first noticed when heating system stopped blowing out any heat. Have topped up with water twice in 2 months each time expansion tank was virtually empty. Local non Toyota garage identified the problem as engine gases and pressure being released into the engine coolant system forcing coolant out through reservoir release valve. Suggested issue is due to either a faulty EGR valve or failed head gasket or cracked head gasket. Suggested I get rid as bill for repair could be in excess of 2k. Reading through this post and other similar posts has given me hope that I can save my beloved Rav4 which so far has given us 48000 trouble free miles. I was considering part exchanging the car for a nearly new Rav4. My fear is that if Toyota reject my claim, I will not be then able to part exchange the car. Are there any reasons why Toyota would reject my claim? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Hello

New member looking for advice on serious coolant loss issue with yes you guessed it, my 2007 2.2 D4d Rav4 Xtr. Same symptoms as original poster first noticed when heating system stopped blowing out any heat. Have topped up with water twice in 2 months each time expansion tank was virtually empty. Local non Toyota garage identified the problem as engine gases and pressure being released into the engine coolant system forcing coolant out through reservoir release valve. Suggested issue is due to either a faulty EGR valve or failed head gasket or cracked head gasket. Suggested I get rid as bill for repair could be in excess of 2k. Reading through this post and other similar posts has given me hope that I can save my beloved Rav4 which so far has given us 48000 trouble free miles. I was considering part exchanging the car for a nearly new Rav4. My fear is that if Toyota reject my claim, I will not be then able to part exchange the car. Are there any reasons why Toyota would reject my claim? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Welcome to the club Paul.

So long as you have proof that your RAV has been 'reasonably serviced' in line with Toyota guidelines you should have no problems. I would get it to your nearest dealer as soon as you can for them to evaluate it :thumbsup:

Thanks for your reply davrav. 1st and 2nd service were both Toyota main dealer. Last two services performed by local respected garage. Car runs like a dream even with this issue. No loss of power or temperature issues. I know that will not last for long! So is the EGR valve a potential root cause of the issue and also covered by the warranty?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links