Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 Coolant Problem

Scotsman1001

Thanks for your reply davrav. 1st and 2nd service were both Toyota main dealer. Last two services performed by local respected garage. Car runs like a dream even with this issue. No loss of power or temperature issues. I know that will not last for long! So is the EGR valve a potential root cause of the issue and also covered by the warranty?

Hi Paul from the birthplace of The Pink Panther, and welcome t'club.

First thing you need to learn is from the same mistake as original poster Scotsman Carpetcleaner made.....you need to find yourself a local Main Dealer (taking along your portable lie detector machine which Scotsman didn't do.....)

Going by the diagnosis your indie garage has made, he's been on this Forum looking for answers too....!!!!

Describe your problem to said local dealer, no need to quote what's been read on here coz he "will be aware of an underlying problem" and come back with his / your findings.

Good luck with your shiny new engine......

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Paul. My car was running like an absolute dream as well !! Right up to the point when I drove it into the dealers for the engine change !! Only issue was its thirst for oil and it was a little thirsty on diesel but not that bad....

When the car was returned it just went even better !! Its quieter smoother and up on MPG by around 65 miles to the tank......

My car was at something like 43 44 thousand miles...

So long as the car has been reasonably well serviced by either Toyota or an independent garage You will have no problems at all .

Wee Charlie.

Thanks for your advice. Just called my local Toyota dealer who would not acknowledge any issue with this engine which is unsurprising. They are unable to book it in until next Wednesday 16/11. That leaves us with 6 days of worry. The dealer started suggesting that they will need to diagnose the issue by stripping down the engine! Posts on this forum suggest that this is not necessary? Can they diagnose the issue as a suspected head gasket issue or cylinder head issue without stripping the engine? Will keep you updated on progress.

Thanks for your advice. Just called my local Toyota dealer who would not acknowledge any issue with this engine which is unsurprising. They are unable to book it in until next Wednesday 16/11. That leaves us with 6 days of worry. The dealer started suggesting that they will need to diagnose the issue by stripping down the engine! Posts on this forum suggest that this is not necessary? Can they diagnose the issue as a suspected head gasket issue or cylinder head issue without stripping the engine? Will keep you updated on progress.

The dealer May wish to carry out an oil consumption test.. This means checking the oil and returning for another check 1000 miles or so later...If You engine is burning oil its a new one..

Or If the head gasket has gone or if They detect that the EGR valve is coked up Or if there is a stored engine code they will replace the engine simple as.

What the Dealer will NOT do is strip the engine ! If They do Toyota will NOT pay them for doing so as this is Not Toyota's policy.

Wee Charlie.

I have replaced approx 1 litre of oil in 8 months since it's last service. I have always had a vw or Audi and they use at least 1 litre per year so this does not seem excessive to me. I will make it clear to the dealer that I will not be paying for any stripping of the engine or diagnosis. Thanks for you advice

I have replaced approx 1 litre of oil in 8 months since it's last service. I have always had a vw or Audi and they use at least 1 litre per year so this does not seem excessive to me. I will make it clear to the dealer that I will not be paying for any stripping of the engine or diagnosis. Thanks for you advice

The TSB PDF was posted by Anchorman in post #16 of this thread. The dealer should be well aware of this.

Ring another dealer, mine told me without prompting that the engine was in the range of suspect engines and I should keep an eye on it and if I was concerned come in and they would run the checks!!

Gus

The oil consumption is relative to how many miles the car has done since the last oil change You mention... Time elapse has no bearing whatsoever...

How and where the car is driven also has a big influence. A car being driven briskly down a motorway will burn more oil than a car pottering around town .

In the first couple of months of ownership My car was just pottering around locally with almost no oil being used.. As soon as I started flying up and down the motorway the oil started to burn away .................

Wee Charlie.

Yes agreed. Mixture of motorway and urban stop start. 10k miles per year. Perhaps slightly heightened oil consumption for my Rav then? 8k miles per litre of oil

The oil consumption is relative to how many miles the car has done since the last oil change You mention... Time elapse has no bearing whatsoever...

How and where the car is driven also has a big influence. A car being driven briskly down a motorway will burn more oil than a car pottering around town .

In the first couple of months of ownership My car was just pottering around locally with almost no oil being used.. As soon as I started flying up and down the motorway the oil started to burn away .................

Wee Charlie.

Charlie,

How much did you fly with on the motorway? V1? :)

Paul,

Posted by Anchorman in post #16... the solution to your problem!

Good luck!

Jozsef

Latest update on my RAV4 coolant issue. Took the RAV in to the dealer as planned on Tuesday 15th November. Politely stated what I thought was the root cause of the issue and that I was not expecting to pay a penny. The dealer acknowledged this but would not commit. Received a call this morning confirming that the head gasket has been breached and that a new engine is required....and that Toyota have agreed to pay for the engine replacement. What a relief! We have been losing sleep over this problem. We will have our beloved RAV back with us by the end of next week and Toyota are providing a car for the duration. One slight concern is that the replacement engine will have a 1 year warranty only but cannot complain. Thanks to anchorman and all who gave me advice on this forum. Without you we would have been forced to part ex the car with the issue. Well done Toyota for standing by your customers. You will reap the benefits of this approach when we come to replace our Rav...with a new Rav. :yahoo:

Latest update on my RAV4 coolant issue. Took the RAV in to the dealer as planned on Tuesday 15th November. Politely stated what I thought was the root cause of the issue and that I was not expecting to pay a penny. The dealer acknowledged this but would not commit. Received a call this morning confirming that the head gasket has been breached and that a new engine is required....and that Toyota have agreed to pay for the engine replacement. What a relief! We have been losing sleep over this problem. We will have our beloved RAV back with us by the end of next week and Toyota are providing a car for the duration. One slight concern is that the replacement engine will have a 1 year warranty only but cannot complain. Thanks to anchorman and all who gave me advice on this forum. Without you we would have been forced to part ex the car with the issue. Well done Toyota for standing by your customers. You will reap the benefits of this approach when we come to replace our Rav...with a new Rav. :yahoo:

On the 10th November, I predicted this outcome by wishing you good luck with your shiny new engine, Paul....I now offer a service on the next 3 weeks' lottery numbers to all who lodge £100.00 in ma Paypal account..... :lol:

Delighted for you....great result.

Mystic Kev :hokus-pokus: :arabia::euro:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links