Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 Coolant Problem

Scotsman1001

Hi,

I've just got back from a caravanning holiday in Spain. During the trip, I noticed that coolant was coming out of the vent on the top of the coolant reservoir. The temperature gauge remained midway between H & C even when the reservoir was empty. I topped the coolant up every day until I came home. On my return, I took the car to my local garage. After inspecting the car, the head gasket was ruled out and suggested that it may be the pressurised filler cap that had failed. I obtained a new filler cap, topped up the coolant and one week later the coolant has gone.

Has anyone had any similar experience of this or any suggestions?

Andy

Welcome to the club Andy where all the clairvoyants are on holiday. I guess you have a 4.3 diesel in which case this is a common problem and the good news is that if you go to a main dealer, they will provide you with a new engine FOC under an extended 7 year/100000 warranty.

Hi,

I've just got back from a caravanning holiday in Spain. During the trip, I noticed that coolant was coming out of the vent on the top of the coolant reservoir. The temperature gauge remained midway between H & C even when the reservoir was empty. I topped the coolant up every day until I came home. On my return, I took the car to my local garage. After inspecting the car, the head gasket was ruled out and suggested that it may be the pressurised filler cap that had failed. I obtained a new filler cap, topped up the coolant and one week later the coolant has gone.

Has anyone had any similar experience of this or any suggestions?

Andy

Hello Andy and welcome to the club :thumbsup:

When you say local garage, do you mean Toyota dealer?

The symptoms you describe sound very much like a head gasket issue and should be familiar to Toyota service. Has your oil level gone down at all?

Have a read of this from yesterday:LINK

Edited by Davrav

Thanks for the reply.

I had taken the car to my local garage which is owned by a friend and not a Toyota Dealership (that may be the next step.).

The oil level is fine, that's why the head gasket was ruled out as the problem.

Andy

Andy

The head gasket is capable of causing exactly the symptoms you describe but because Toyota recognised that there are also oil consumption and carbonisation problems (all 3 are linked) they are now rationalising the work and fitting a complete new engine (its actually a 3/4 engine but it is basically your parts dressed onto a new engine).

Get in touch with a main dealer. It will help if you've got a service history but even then TGB are being very flexible. Unless you get it fixed, it will eventually fail completely or at least become undriveable. Don't worry about the cost, they will take care of it and even loan you a car at no expense.

BTW, you can type into the fast reply box at the bottom or you can reply by typing after the last quote - you'll get used to it :thumbsup:

Aha...a Scotsman who cleans carpets for less than half a crown, eh....? (That'll fox the younger membership...)

Welcome t'forum, Andy, and welcome to a shiny new engine, ya lucky people ye...!!!!

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Aha...a Scotsman who cleans carpets for less than half a crown, eh....? (That'll fox the younger membership...)

Welcome t'forum, Andy, and welcome to a shiny new engine, ya lucky people ye...!!!!

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Im far to Young to remember 1001 cleans a big big carpet ! Bex Bissel and all that Far to Young !!

Wee Charlie.

I've got the RAV booked into my local Toyota dealership tomorrow for a diagnostic (£48 for the privilege!). The guy I spoke to asked if I had taken out an extended warranty, (I haven't). I asked how much it would cost if it was the head gasket, he said that he would have to cost it up. Said he was unaware of an extended warranty relating to this problem. Again, I'll let you know how it goes.

andy

I've got the RAV booked into my local Toyota dealership tomorrow for a diagnostic (£48 for the privilege!). The guy I spoke to asked if I had taken out an extended warranty, (I haven't). I asked how much it would cost if it was the head gasket, he said that he would have to cost it up. Said he was unaware of an extended warranty relating to this problem. Again, I'll let you know how it goes.

andy

Andy....he is a liar of the first order.... :censor:

Beelin' :angry: Kev

andy

Andy. Sorry Mate but that is a Peeeeeesss take of epic proportions !!! You should NOT pay a penny coin for diagnosis of a very and I do mean very common fault on Toyota's fitted with the 2AD Engines !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to a Dealer who is on this planet !!

Wee Charlie.

Let's put this in perspective, Andy....if that dealer's name had been Pinnochio, you would have lost the sight in at least ONE eye.....

Big Kev :eek:

Latest;

Dealership has had the car all day, said that they need it for further tests and possible evidence to send to TGB the consensus is that it is the head gasket. In the mean time, I now have a dinky little Yaris to drive around in. Hopefully, should have good news by tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Andy

Have they confirmed that it is covered by an extended warranty as mentionedl earlier?

Mine went in today for the steering knock and I have asked them to check it out for this also as i've had to top up the coolant a few times since buying the car. The two can be done all in one go if necessary.

Does anyone have any proof in writing that there is this 7yr 100k mile extended cover for this fault?

RAV still at the dealership. They're confident that it should be repaired under warranty as they have found carbon deposits and are arranging loan car as they say there is about a 2 month wait for the parts.

Wolverhampton Toyota have said the steering is the intermediate shaft and the coolant issue is not the head gasket but infant the water pump but this is still covered under am extended warranty so I only have to pay for the intermediate shaft, £288 all in.

I've not heard about a water pump problem. I was almost hoping that it would be the head soni could get it all sorted under the warranty. I'd be tempted to book it in again before the seven years is up just to have it checked over before it expires!

Best of luck with yours Scotsman.

Write a letter to Mr T telling them the knock has been there for some time. Go to another dealer with the water problem. Some are more familiar than others.

Toyota have done the water pump FOC but have now said that my cars chassis number falls outside that of the ones listed for the intermediate shaft fault. As such, the fault will not lie there and to change it just incase would be £370 as the parts and labour are different. Also they said it might be the power steering assembly and to fix that would be a further £650! So £1100+ without any guarantee that either or both would solve the knock!!!

My rav, a 56plate falls smack inbetween the range of cars effected (06-07) in the TSB's.

Needless to say, I am confused...

Also, they said that their engineers and MOT man both said that the knock was neither dangerous nor any detriment to the cars performance so I could just live with it, which after staring at an £1100+ quote, was the choice I made!!!

Finally, after lifting the bonnet to have a nose, they have filled the coolant way past maximum to the point where the level is above the clear plastic is and out of sight. I was always told this was a bad idea.

Any thoughts welcome!

Toyota have done the water pump FOC but have now said that my cars chassis number falls outside that of the ones listed for the intermediate shaft fault. As such, the fault will not lie there and to change it just incase would be £370 as the parts and labour are different. Also they said it might be the power steering assembly and to fix that would be a further £650! So £1100+ without any guarantee that either or both would solve the knock!!!

My rav, a 56plate falls smack inbetween the range of cars effected (06-07) in the TSB's.

Needless to say, I am confused...

Also, they said that their engineers and MOT man both said that the knock was neither dangerous nor any detriment to the cars performance so I could just live with it, which after staring at an £1100+ quote, was the choice I made!!!

Finally, after lifting the bonnet to have a nose, they have filled the coolant way past maximum to the point where the level is above the clear plastic is and out of sight. I was always told this was a bad idea.

Any thoughts welcome!

The hint for the muppet who refilled your expansion tank is probably hidden in its name, but he's maybe missed it...

Big Kev :unsure:

Should I attempt to remove some then to bring back down to the max level? If so, how? I don't have a turkey baster!!!

There are some cheap plastic siphon pumps that can sometimes be found in pound shops if you don't fancy a mouthful of antifreeze

Del

Dont worry about it being slightly over full it will simply blow out of the overflow if it needs to.. If You aren't happy then carefully push a microfibre cloth into the top of the tank it will soon soak it up....

Wee Charlie.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links