Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Flip Key

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

that is quite confusing Sam, ask the seller of the blade on the sleeker and slimmer one is the same as the curvy one that you don't like :)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• corollat3sport

• SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

• Steven252

• madvinegar

that is quite confusing Sam, ask the seller of the blade on the sleeker and slimmer one is the same as the curvy one that you don't like :)

I did mate, he said the sleeker slimmer has the other blade type and i need the curvier style case as thats the only one with the right blade, which is true by looking at the pic he has for it!

I really wanna buy one, do you think i'll have any problems with it in terms of inserting and removing it from the ignition etc?

:thumbsup:

I did mate, he said the sleeker slimmer has the other blade type and i need the curvier style case as thats the only one with the right blade, which is true by looking at the pic he has for it!

I really wanna buy one, do you think i'll have any problems with it in terms of inserting and removing it from the ignition etc?

oh okay but Steven has the sleeker/slimmer one that you want for his car.....wacko.gif

well i just got the curvy one for my 2003 rolla and i aint having no problems with it Sam, you shouldn't have any problems too as i think the ignition and door locks on PFL and FL are the same :)

go for it i think and hope for the best and if anything does go wrong you can always get it sorted out with the seller, also it aint really expensive...only a tenner but hopefully everything should be fine :)

all the best Sam

oh okay but Steven has the sleeker/slimmer one that you want for his car.....wacko.gif

well i just got the curvy one for my 2003 rolla and i aint having no problems with it Sam, you shouldn't have any problems too as i think the ignition and door locks on PFL and FL are the same :)

go for it i think and hope for the best and if anything does go wrong you can always get it sorted out with the seller, also it aint really expensive...only a tenner but hopefully everything should be fine :)

all the best Sam

CHEERS Mate, i might just go for it then, tell me...did you get the toyota stickers with yours? if so where do you stick it, top screw or bottom? Hows the spring action thingy...is it flimsy? And that chrome oval bit where i assume you put your keyring through it...is it cheap plastic?

all the best Sam

CHEERS Mate, i might just go for it then, tell me...did you get the toyota stickers with yours? if so where do you stick it, top screw or bottom? Hows the spring action thingy...is it flimsy? And that chrome oval bit where i assume you put your keyring through it...is it cheap plastic?

yeah i got stickers, i stuck the Toyota sticker on the top screw and this other sticker at the bottom, you have to do it that way because the holes are shaped the same as the stickers if you get what i mean? so you have to match them up and have no choice

the spring is great, really responsive lol..the more you screw it in while assembling the key the more responsive it gets :)

the oval part is shiny plastic so i haven't really put a key ring through it as i think if i do it will scratch it and make it look horrible, i have just left the key on its own :D

hope this help thumbsup.gif

I didnt use seller3121 for my key, i used goodtradegti for mine. The curvey key is very flimsy when you twist it in the ignition. However mine hasnt got stickers so its up to you. Im going to message the seller now to see if i can get some

Funny that seller3121 shows both valeo and the other type on the slim key in the discription :rolleyes:

I didnt use seller3121 for my key, i used goodtradegti for mine. The curvey key is very flimsy when you twist it in the ignition. However mine hasnt got stickers so its up to you. Im going to message the seller now to see if i can get some

Funny that seller3121 shows both valeo and the other type on the slim key in the discription :rolleyes:

oh right sorry Steven, you got the slimmer key from goodtradegti, forgot about that lol sorry mate

hope this helps Sam though

oh right sorry Steven, you got the slimmer key from goodtradegti, forgot about that lol sorry mate

COROLLAT3SPORT...you make me laugh...thanks mate :thumbsup: for clearing things up alot better...i'll pay fleabay a visit later and hunt this other seller lol!

COROLLAT3SPORT...you make me laugh...thanks mate :thumbsup: for clearing things up alot better...i'll pay fleabay a visit later and hunt this other seller lol!

laugh.gif Glad i could help

Hi

Just found that seller: goodtradegti, however they don't do the square casing with a Valeo blade either, so i'm with you on the curvy case instead, which doesn't look that bad actually! But why is our friend Steven saying its flimsy when turning it in the ignition???

Like you said for a Tenner, give it a whirl hey :yes: I'm sure its asking a lot for you to put up a quick pic of the stickers on the back of your fob??? Just so curious mate. ;)

As you can see i have both hense stating my opinion on each of them ;) they are both with a valeo key too... Weird.

Anyway - the curvey key is ok, it does feel cheep and the flip mech isnt the greatest bits of egineering, but it works. It does flex when you twist it in the ignition to start the car as the way its positioned vertical gives it no internal strength bar the plastic case itself, which we all know, plastic flexes. Kind of like when you push on the bumper of a car compared to a metal wing. Its also abit on the chunky side. BUT it does look good, it works and is far better than the standard toyota key.

The slim keys better designed and manufactured. It fits together better, doesnt feel cheep and is A LOT stronger. Its a far bit smaller and the flip mechinism is again better built.

All in my opinion, but bare in mind i have both here and have used both for a fair amount of time each. The slim one will remain on my key set. The others found its way into the service books with the spares.

Hi

Just found that seller: goodtradegti, however they don't do the square casing with a Valeo blade either, so i'm with you on the curvy case instead, which doesn't look that bad actually! But why is our friend Steven saying its flimsy when turning it in the ignition???

Like you said for a Tenner, give it a whirl hey :yes: I'm sure its asking a lot for you to put up a quick pic of the stickers on the back of your fob??? Just so curious mate. ;)

Hmmm strange that he doesn't do it in the valeo blade but gave Steven one laugh.gif

it does play a bit in the ignition so im with Steven on that but not too bad that it makes you mad :D

but yeah a tenner isn't that much so i would give it a go and see if you like it :)

also il get a pic up soon Sam only for you tongue.gif

As you can see i have both hense stating my opinion on each of them ;) they are both with a valeo key too... Weird.

Anyway - the curvey key is ok, it does feel cheep and the flip mech isnt the greatest bits of egineering, but it works. It does flex when you twist it in the ignition to start the car as the way its positioned vertical gives it no internal strength bar the plastic case itself, which we all know, plastic flexes. Kind of like when you push on the bumper of a car compared to a metal wing. Its also abit on the chunky side. BUT it does look good, it works and is far better than the standard toyota key.

The slim keys better designed and manufactured. It fits together better, doesnt feel cheep and is A LOT stronger. Its a far bit smaller and the flip mechinism is again better built.

All in my opinion, but bare in mind i have both here and have used both for a fair amount of time each. The slim one will remain on my key set. The others found its way into the service books with the spares.

Ok, just keep in mind that your curvey key was faulty.

Mine works perfect and I never had any problem with it.

The thing I don't like about the 2nd key case you bought is that the blade (when closed) actually enters into the casing. So there is a hole in the casing (especially - but not only - when the blade is open) which makes the imobilizer vulnerable to any external factors. (i.e the imobilizer is not fully protected by a closed Shell so dust may enter into the key casing, rain water, etc. etc.). In the OEM standard TOYOTA key, the imobilizer was protected and sealed.

Also, I have looked to the flip keys of other car brands like fiat, opel, mercedes etc, and all of them use the same design like the curvey key I bought. i.e. the Shell is completely closed and there is no hole for the blade to enter, thus protecing the imobilizer.

Anyway, this is just my opinion (and the reasons that made me prefer the specific flip key). I suppose that both flip keys do the job and look far better than the standard toyota key. :lol:

Ok, just keep in mind that your curvey key was faulty.

Mine works perfect and I never had any problem with it.

the only part that was faulty was where the key attaches to the metal flip part, thus making it awkward to remove the key - my post ignores this fact. the rest of the key was fine, hence my detailed opinion of it. i'm not biased either, in fact i prefer the look and style of the old one, however it didn't feel as good as it looked and isn't manufactured as good as it could have been. you could tell it was an 8 pound key where as the new one feels and looks as good as the major manufacturer ones.

The thing I don't like about the 2nd key case you bought is that the blade (when closed) actually enters into the casing. So there is a hole in the casing (especially - but not only - when the blade is open) which makes the imobilizer vulnerable to any external factors. (i.e the imobilizer is not fully protected by a closed shell so dust may enter into the key casing, rain water, etc. etc.). In the OEM standard TOYOTA key, the imobilizer was protected and sealed.

Also, I have looked to the flip keys of other car brands like fiat, opel, mercedes etc, and all of them use the same design like the curvey key I bought. i.e. the shell is completely closed and there is no hole for the blade to enter, thus protecing the imobilizer.

Anyway, this is just my opinion (and the reasons that made me prefer the specific flip key).

this is a very valid point and i have thought about it. with where the opening is, its not going to be a problem with water damage unless its dropped into a puddle deep enough to submerge it. if this happened i would also believe that both flip keys would ingress water as they both have gaps - admitidly the one i have would sink faster :lol:

when closed the key pritty much seals the whole thing, as its VERY well manufactured. so i cant see dirt or rain ever getting in there when its closed. plus only about 5mm (IF that) of the back of the fob is shown when open, so its not exactly a huge part of it showing, so still in my view, still well protected.

my post, as i said, is my personal opinion after having and using both. we cant all like the same thing and this is the joys of modifying :thumbsup:

I suppose that both flip keys do the job and look far better than the standard toyota key. :lol:

completely AGREED :toast:

Sam:

3a1bee20-1b46-4a03-bf86-361e62c20d10.jpg

YOUR THE BEST...MATE...CHEERS FOR THAT :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I've just placed my order, and can't wait for it to come now, i know of good local key smith, just pray he doesn't make any mistakes when cutting that precious Valeo blade otherwise :ffs:

And a nice 1 :toast: to Steven252 & Madvinger with their HEATED discussion comments lol...this has been a darn interesting thread in my opinion...and i'm sure it will help plenty others make up their minds with such an important purchase mod :lol:

Keep you updated Corollat3sport!

YOUR THE BEST...MATE...CHEERS FOR THAT :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I've just placed my order, and can't wait for it to come now, i know of good local key smith, just pray he doesn't make any mistakes when cutting that precious Valeo blade otherwise :ffs:

And a nice 1 :toast: to Steven252 & Madvinger with their HEATED discussion comments lol...this has been a darn interesting thread in my opinion...and i'm sure it will help plenty others make up their minds with such an important purchase mod :lol:

Keep you updated Corollat3sport!

no worries Sam and all the best, i know how you feel....i was well excited and just wanted to see my new key laugh.gif

and yes this has been a good thread n i am sure it will benefit many users in the future yes.gif

It does flex when you twist it in the ignition to start the car as the way its positioned vertical gives it no internal strength bar the plastic case itself, which we all know, plastic flexes. Kind of like when you push on the bumper of a car compared to a metal wing.

I just re-read the above sentence and I can now comment with 100% pressision that the curvey flip key you were given must have been TOTALLY fake and rubbish, made out of the lowest quality plastic ever. No wonder you say it looks cheap. If mine was like that, I would have said the exact same things like you did.

My flip key does not flex AT ALL. The case is made of strong plastic. By no means does the case "flex" when I twist it in the ignition...

Sam and corollat3sport can verify this since they have ordered their key from the same seller as I did.

At least we found out why you have such a low opinion of the curvey flip key. :lol:

It does flex when you twist it in the ignition to start the car as the way its positioned vertical gives it no internal strength bar the plastic case itself, which we all know, plastic flexes. Kind of like when you push on the bumper of a car compared to a metal wing.

I just re-read the above sentence and I can now comment with 100% pressision that the curvey flip key you were given must have been TOTALLY fake and rubbish, made out of the lowest quality plastic ever. No wonder you say it looks cheap. If mine was like that, I would have said the exact same things like you did.

My flip key does not flex AT ALL. The case is made of strong plastic. By no means does the case "flex" when I twist it in the ignition...

Sam and corollat3sport can verify this since they have ordered their key from the same seller as I did.

At least we found out why you have such a low opinion of the curvey flip key. :lol:

True mate, my key doesn't feel cheap and the plastic is strong or else i would of made a complaint or atleast let you guys know about it

maybe Steven got one from the bad batch laugh.gif

True mate, my key doesn't feel cheap and the plastic is strong or else i would of made a complaint or atleast let you guys know about it

You guys are killing me, seriously, Madvinegar and Steven252...will the war EVER end lol :D ,And i love the way Corollat3sport just drops his comments in so politely :P ! such cool styles B) lol!

Hey we've had 911 views just over these quality plastic...(or cheap to some!) flippin fobs ! :eek:

All i'm saying is i can't wait for em to come, how quick is 2nd class recorded post lol! Hope Seller3121 picked mine from the stronger plastic, non-flex batch! ;)

This is not a war. We are just exchanging our views. It is not even worth fighting upon two plastic keys. I respect the opinion of Steven, and having seen his work (DIY work on his corolla) I can understand that he is a person who knows his stuff and can judge correctly technical matters like this. :thumbsup:

And this is why I was so surprised when I read his comments about the "flexibility" of the key.

I would like to apologise if my writing (unwillingly) gave the false impression and made me look stupid as if I was going against Steven, trying to prove something.

I'm sorry mate!

You guys are killing me, seriously, Madvinegar and Steven252...will the war EVER end lol :D ,And i love the way Corollat3sport just drops his comments in so politely :P ! such cool styles B) lol!

Hey we've had 911 views just over these quality plastic...(or cheap to some!) flippin fobs ! :eek:

All i'm saying is i can't wait for em to come, how quick is 2nd class recorded post lol! Hope Seller3121 picked mine from the stronger plastic, non-flex batch! ;)

laugh.gif Steven252 and Madvinegar are only sharing their love for each other hehe and thanks Sam, i know im soo cool.gif haha

mines came well quick Sam so yours should arrive quick too and im sure he will give you one from the good batch and if he doesn't then its going to be me and Madvinegar against you and Steven252 lol....its going to be epic haha

I would like to apologise if my writing (unwillingly) gave the false impression and made me look stupid as if I was going against Steven, trying to prove something.

I'm sorry mate!

clap.gifBEAUTIFUL SPEECH!!! toast.gif

see i dont believe that it is. the curvey key i have isnt bad, its ok and for £8 you cant really expect more from it. i might have got a bad one from the batch but i honestly dont think i have. i am simply comparing it to the slim key i have thats right next to it. these are all fake keys as there not made by toyota, it states that in the eBay listing. i also cant see there being two companies that produce/manufacture these, so they would all have come from the same supplier.

my opionin isnt low of it - i think for the money it is good, but i have stated my opinion of it compared to the slim one. if i had compared it to the original key i would have completely praised it!! the slim one is deffiately a lot better.

it does play a bit in the ignition so im with Steven on that but not too bad that it makes you mad :D

but yeah a tenner isn't that much so i would give it a go and see if you like it :)

also il get a pic up soon Sam only for you tongue.gif

seems to back up the play or flexing i experienced. again it wasn't a huge amount but it was there. i don't know if you've ever had a ford vertical key? these have the same sort of twist in the key. the only one i've experienced thats any good is the vw one as iirc its metal braced inside to stop this happening.

i didn't think this either when i first got the curvy one, it was only till the slim one came and i had the two to compare i noticed it.

This is not a war. We are just exchanging our views. It is not even worth fighting upon two plastic keys. I respect the opinion of Steven, and having seen his work (DIY work on his corolla) I can understand that he is a person who knows his stuff and can judge correctly technical matters like this. :thumbsup:

And this is why I was so surprised when I read his comments about the "flexibility" of the key.

I'm sorry mate!

i never once thought your posts were "stupid or argumentative" so you have not got anything to apologise for :thumbsup: ive found it really interesting having a detailed and well thought out exchange of views, best off all, about an £8 key :lol:

as i said theres not much flex in the key, but it is there when you twist to start the car, fords key is exactly the same as its an inherent design flaw that unless you do what vw have with theres (internal metal bracing) you cant do much about it. however this doesn't affect the operation of the key at all, i was simply stating that there was in my key.

im glad theres a forum where i can have an open and indepth debate, without it turning all childish and going into a massive "slagging" forum war :thumbsup:

Guys...Yo Guys...i received my flip yesterday...must say it feels kinda heavy and quality! :thumbsup:

Admit the gold stickers look a bit cheap lol! :unsure:

Can't wait to get the blade cut, i'm off work full of flu at present so maybe i'll get it done next week, funny how these key cutters always have a sign saying "cut at you own risk, we can't be held responsible, etc etc :ffs: " Anyway, are you sure its not a dealer cutting job or can your average key smith do the job successfully? :!Removed!:

Takecare all! :rolleyes:

I got mine done at might local locksmiths; As long as they have a decent copy cutting thing it should be okay.

Just be careful with it; When we opened mine the spring flew off and it took longer trying to find it then it did to cut the key! :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links