Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Flip Key

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

HI Guys n Girls

Just wondering if anyone has converted their original 2 button toyota corolla key into one of those flip key conversions you see on eBay???

FLIP KEY

If so, are they any good & where's best to get one? I've noticed you don't get like a likkle round toyota dome Badge to stick on the back of it, which makes the case look cheap without it.

Look forward to hearing from you all.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• corollat3sport

• SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

• Steven252

• madvinegar

I bought one Sam and it was crap. It doesn't fit together very well once u have put your fob unit in. I got mad and stuck it in my man draw.

Really? I have one and it was dead easy to do!

daveyonthemove started a thread a while back about this for his Auris, although his key was more of a PITA to do because it has a separate transponder which is glued in.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=124231&view=findpost&p=1113338

For older cars, it seems a lot easier - The one for my Mk1 Yaris is very similar to the Corolla (In fact, I'd say they are identical!) and the trickiest bit for me was getting the damned the spring-loaded keyblade back in after my lock locksmith cut it for me.

The control unit from the original key holds the transponder and remote in one nice modular block and it just drops into the flip key and bam, job's a good 'un :)

It is a bit tricky lining the buttons up with the holes and making it stay there when you're !Removed! the back in as it is a very tight fit, but I found it pretty easy overall.

Once you get it in it's very solid and sealed tightly all round.

My one did come with a Toyota-logo sticker but I haven't stuck it on.

I will say that as a flip-case, it is very bulky compared to 'proper' flip-cases like the VW and Audi ones, and even after-market ones for things like Fords.

The problem is the Toyota keyblade is insanely long so that limits how small they can make the flip key :(

(That is also why I got the flip-case - The original key kept stabbing me in the leg when I sat down!! :eek::lol: )

Ive just ordered a 2 button one for my car as ive always wanted one of these!

If it dont work then itll go in the bin as a £8 loss, not exactly breaking the bank

THANKS guys for all your advice :thumbsup: ...but may i kindly ask where you purchased your key flips from? :) Also buy looking at the one's for sale on eBay i don't think my actual key blade matches up! which could mean a no no for facelift Rolla owners! :crybaby:

(copied from my E11 build thread)

my new flip key fob through this morning so i quickly popped to the local key cutters and had the replacement cut. all thats required is to undo the one screw on the back of the original key, remove the transponder and buttons (luckily the E11's is in one unit) place into the new key fob Shell and screw together, after twisting the spring once. its a little bit fiddly but nothing major. such a nice upgrade to the standard key, its a little bulky but can no longer dig into my leg at work. the first time around i found the internals to be slightly lose in the holder - allowing the buttons to push back, so one small cut out of cardboard on the back of it (to push the buttons out) and refit and its perfect now.

35cfe49b.jpg

4b9dc627.jpg

the ONLY problem with them is it can be a !Removed! nightmare to get it out of the ignition barrel, as the toyotas system requires you to push it in the remove the keys (mind you the standard key can be like this :lol:) as the key base is now wider and flat there isn't as much room as with the standard corolla key. so if it isnt perfectly flat as its twisted back as well as applying a little pressure to the fob into the barrel it locks and wont come out. once you know how to position it, its the same as removing the standard key. however i personally like this as it means it would be A LOT harder for a person who shouldn't be removing the keys from getting them ;)

• 3 weeks later...

i want to get a case like this as i have a spar key lying around but i don't know where to buy one from as i purchased a normal Toyota key case of eBay but the blade design wasn't right and the locksmith said he cannot cut it to the same style as my current key that i use :(

anyone know which one i should buy so it has the same style blade?

thanks in advance guys

Theres 2 types of key, you have to match your one to the photos they supply :thumbsup:

Theres 2 types of key, you have to match your one to the photos they supply :thumbsup:

Damn how do i do that lol

i have the valeo blade on mines, is that any help?

Damn how do i do that lol

i have the valeo blade on mines, is that any help?

Yes. Just say to the seller that you want the key case with the VALEO blade! :thumbsup:

After having a chat with madvinegar i realised my flip key was faulty so i asked the eBay seller for a replacement. i recieved a different one from the one i posted above for some reason but i thought i'd give it ago.

heres the new verses old

40c5b4b5.jpg

9fdfc38e.jpg

cc56140d.jpg

and all built up with the key cut

5ad3ac74.jpg

ill put the issues aside that i had with the original. the new one is much better designed and manufactured, it does not feel "cheep" and the flip system and case fit together MUCH better than the old one did. basically it's SOO much better designed. its also quite a lot smaller than the old one too which is a BIG plus to me :thumbsup:

issues that i had with the old one - i can now get this one out of the damn ignition barrel without messing about with it :toast:

both are available on eBay so "takes your money, takes your choice"

which seller did you get your key from Steven252?

cheers mate

It looks very nice indeed! :thumbsup: Where are the stickers?

which seller did you get your key from Steven252?

cheers mate

i used "goodtradegti" for mine, however they haven't come with stickers. madvinegar used "seller3121" who also stocks both the flip keys i've shown, but also supplies the stickers too.

HTH

It looks very nice indeed! :thumbsup: Where are the stickers?

thanks mate :thumbsup:

yet again it did not come with any........ :crybaby: im going to message the seller you got yours from to see if he'll sell me some separately for me :) failing that, a guy on another forum i use, makes custom vinyls/sticker. so ill get some made up as i want some custom TTE ones for my side skirts anyhow

cheers Steven, i have already bought mines of seller 3121 and it arrived today, seems okay and the blade is right but i will have to see once i get the blade cut and the remote module put in if i like the fit and finish but thanks for all the info and sorry for putting you guys through any hassle :)

p.s i like both key fobs :D

well i got the one from seller3121 and it arrived today :)

if i have any problems i am sure of where to come lol...if y'all don't mind :D

Which style one did you go for i ment :P

Ye give us a shout if your stuck :)

laugh.gif sorry mate....i went for the flip key that you have in your pics...the bigger curvy one lol...your new one looks good also, if something does go wrong then i will be getting the current one you have now :)

thanks again for everything

right guys i got the blade cut today and i have a problem

as i now need to re-assemble the key back i have to do the spring this so the blade springs out...but i cant do it helpsmilie.gif

i don't know how to lol

any help will be much appreciated guys :D

sorry but everythings OK now lol, i got it all fixed up and working :D

fitting seems pretty good to me so its a keeper :)

i even like the fact that i got stickers with it to make is look that little bit more genuine

i feel well happy for some reason.....i know guys, its only a key laugh.gif

thanks again for all your help, really appreciate it thumbsup.gif

sorry but everythings OK now lol, i got it all fixed up and working :D

fitting seems pretty good to me so its a keeper :)

i even like the fact that i got stickers with it to make is look that little bit more genuine

i feel well happy for some reason.....i know guys, its only a key laugh.gif

thanks again for all your help, really appreciate it thumbsup.gif

Hi mate

Could you kindly put up a link for this seller that you purchased your fob off eBay, can't find them for some reason, and i think i might have the same Valeo key as you, possibly? I'm still confused re.these fobs :wacko:

Hi steve,

I've been communicating with this Seller3121, still confused, but this is how i see it, as i have a VALEO key blade i HAVE to buy this one CURVY-DON'T LIKE

eventhough i REALLY like this one SLEEK/SLIMMER which the seller says i can't have because they don't do the Valeo blade...Yet you have BOTH :wacko:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links