Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacing The Rav

The Rav XTR is coming up to 3 years old, and I have been looking round at what to replace it with.

Mitsu - good cars ASX a little too small, Outlander a little bigger than the Rav

Ford Kuga - ok although they seem very tight on the warranty looking at the forums

VW tiguan - had a golf before, just seems to be a bigger golf

CRV - not sure about this

I keep coming back to the Rav, reliable never let me down in all weathers, good resale value, good support, excellent forum :thumbsup: and the price is about right (could always be cheaper).

Have I missed a contender, your opinions as ever are welcomed and valued?

Gus

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CharlieFarlie

• firemac

• cabcurtains

• MarsKy

The Rav XTR is coming up to 3 years old, and I have been looking round at what to replace it with.

Mitsu - good cars ASX a little too small, Outlander a little bigger than the Rav

Ford Kuga - ok although they seem very tight on the warranty looking at the forums

VW tiguan - had a golf before, just seems to be a bigger golf

CRV - not sure about this

I keep coming back to the Rav, reliable never let me down in all weathers, good resale value, good support, excellent forum :thumbsup: and the price is about right (could always be cheaper).

Have I missed a contender, your opinions as ever are welcomed and valued?

Gus

Looked at the Squashguy?

Smart money is on the Hyundai Santa Fe.

More money gets you the same but with better equipment levels in the Kia Sorento.

And there is their little brothers, the ix35 and Sportage.

In my opinion, the RAV from 2009 to 2010 just before the current facelift and with the 150 engine is the best.

That is the one I will have unless the 4.4 is on the horizon.

Hyundai spent a lot of money on the Santa Fe, trying to break into the US SUV market. Worth a look.

To be honest the only reason I am looking around is due to the 4.4 being 2013/14

so thats two for me to look at nissan/Hyundai

Don, why do you like the 2009/10 pre facelift over the current version?

Gus

Because it had full leather heated seats and it had keyless entry. I thought the latter was gimmicky before I had it but the amount of times I turn up at my car with hands full and the choice of 400 pockets.........I think it had nicer looks too.

As you know I'm currently running a Kia and it is fine but if you ask me if they would replace engines even in the light of a known fault way out of the warranty period - I doubt it. I think my local Toyota centre would look after me rather better. Keep that in mind when considering other brands.

The problem with buying a current new Rav for Me at least is the lack of available specification. I have deliberated long and hard over the last few weeks whether to buy a new one or not....

Main issues being (Please take note Mr T) No option of a sunroof on the 4.3. The SR top spec car has no facility to carry a spare wheel.No option of full leather which I like... and lastly and most importantly if a new model pops its head up in 12 months time the current residuals on the 4.3 will take a huge kicking.

Lets be honest here if I am to spend 30+K on a new estate car it must have a spec in line with its outlay.....

Sorry if this sounds like snobbery but I aint having a Hyundai on the drive end of ..... :rolleyes:

My boss got a brand new Santa Fe for his family drive: £23k.

Beats the RAV in most points - room/ power/ torque/ price. Full spare!

And tops the polls in the SUV tests.

Bit ugly in the wrong colour though.

I thought it still had heated leather seats, the keyless is standard on the SR and an option on the XTR?

or have I lost the plot?

Gus

Its half leather in the SR.. Still very nice but still half leather.. No sunroof. Not sure about Keyless start and entry.. Lots of minor things that could do with updating.. Especially the spare wheel issue..

Still a Great car and still near to to the top of My list... I have My name on the waiting list for an Evoque.. 12 Months to go and counting... So unless the new Rav is on the horizon or My wife gets to a point where She cant manage the clutch in Our existing Rav then We will have an Evoque on the drive late next Year....

Wee Charlie.

I was in Mr T last week taking my 59plate XTR in for its 30k service. I was wondering if now was the time to change. I had a look at the latest Rav and was disappointed to find that Key Less entry was an option on the XTR now. I really like the feature.I wasn't sold on the half leather interior either. I think i'm going to wait for the 4.4 Rav and see whats changed. The 4.3.5 is still a very, very strong package, especially with the 5 year warranty offered now. I'm not fussed about stepping up to the SR. Its a jump in costs, and I like the MPG figures im getting from the 150 engine.

Just to throw an odd ball one in, the Nissan QQ is getting a 1.6 Dci engine and 4wd. The 2ltr engine is being dropped from the range,and I think this will give it a new lease of life. Would think that will evetually work it,s way down to the Juke.

Regards Clare

Evoque? Is that those new rangę rover things? If so youll have to be a midget to get init

Sorry Mate that's just not so... Front space is more generous than a Rav and the interior finish is absolutely miles better but then it should be !! Rear seat space is very and I do mean very slightly less than the Rav but there is only the two of Us and We have the Jag if We want to seat 5.....

Wee Charlie.

Just to throw an odd ball one in, the Nissan QQ is getting a 1.6 Dci engine and 4wd. The 2ltr engine is being dropped from the range,and I think this will give it a new lease of life. Would think that will evetually work it,s way down to the Juke.

Regards Clare

Both the QQ and the Juke are just about the ugliest cars I have ever set eyes on.. I loath Nissan's !!... :wacko: :wacko:

Wee Charlie.

The Nissan QQ and Juke are about the ugliest cars on the road today..... That Juke really is a Juke Err sorry Joke..... I loath Nissan's anyway !

Out of the current range of cars of this size and capability I would choose another Rav in Sr guise if I buy new... Despite the spec it lacks..

But if the New Rav is not on the horizon by the time the Evoque is ready for delivery in 12 months time and the spare wheel and sunroof issues are not sorted ( I hope at least one of these will be sorted) Then an Evoque it will be... :thumbsup:

Wee Charlie.

From the Toyota configurator...This foes not include Keyless entry and start. Full leather or the sunroof... Coooorrrrr.........

Need extra carrying capacity? With this pack, the permanently fixed roof rails, in combination with cross bars, will form a base to fix special attachments such as bicycle holders, luggage boxes, ski & surf board holders.

The Protection Pack features a useful Toyota Parking Aid system with rear sensors that provide audible warnings to assist whilst reversing. Practical black side mouldings and a rear bumper protection plate also help minimise small impact damage.

Enhance your RAV4`s existing appeal with the Style Pack, which features an eye-catching front guard & under guard and Premium side steps. Great looking scuff plates also help protect sills against wear and tear.

Prices

Vehicle: £28,620.00

Paint: £650.00

Option: £1,803.00

Total price:

£31,073

Wee Charlie.

To be honest the only reason I am looking around is due to the 4.4 being 2013/14

so thats two for me to look at nissan/Hyundai

Don, why do you like the 2009/10 pre facelift over the current version?

Gus

Hi Gus,

Suggest that you think carefully about Nissan. Since their tie-up with Renault there has been a lot of parts sharing going on to cut costs & Nissans carry quite a bit of Renault kit which is pretty unreliable, They had terrible quality problems with the Navara a while back and I'd read that some of it came about through transmission bits being sourced through Renault's supply chain. They lost a serious amount of their pick-up market as a result.

Re the Qashqai, I reckon you'd need to be blind (or sorely challenged in the style dept) to like it, IMO it's an abomination & it'd full of Regie's bits......

This is paticularly true of the pre-facelifted QQ. The problems they had with the rear suspension are legendary. As for tyhe Juke which I also think is a joke, the current discounts available fron Nissan are unbelievable. The biggest problem with the Juke is the MPG ( same engined QQ does better MPG), they,ve already done an upgrade to try and get it better

Regards Clare

Shame on you. Just driven down to manchester on Friday thru horrendous rain, and back up today in nice weather. Number 2 RAV did the business none stop on a tank of fuel each way (well just less) and happily cruised along at a good speed. Its a 94 model with the engine conversion certainly but a joy to drive and loads of overtaking power when needed.

Even had number 3 granddaughter for a short run complete with her pram in the 3 door - no probs. 4 wheel drive and steady as a rock (the car). The RAV4 4.1 is for life !!!

The new RAV has keyless on the SR or only with the full satnav on the xt-r.

They both have heated seats but not full leather. The centre panel is like a mole skin mac.

I had some time today, thought I would have a look at some of the vehicles mentioned above at the dealers in Reading, bear in mind this was all dome at 10:30 to 11:30 this morning.

Hyundai - tried, all the customer parking slots where full of cars, showroom empty no where to park, so gave it a miss.

Nissan - tried, all the customer parking slots where full of cars, showroom empty no where to park, so gave it a miss.

Honda - plenty of parking had a look at the CR-V, clambered allover it could I find a salesperson, could I heck, again showroom empty.

Toyota - plenty of parking, no Rav in the showroom, waiting for one to come in, as I found out after 5 minutes when the sales manager walked through and asked if I wanted some help when I said yes, he said he would see if he could find someone to help :blink: they had one customer who was being seen to. the ironic thing was they were telling me that they where waiting for one to come in despite that fact that I could see a 61reg Rav4 over his shoulder with a price tag just outside.

Ford - flaming ada, what all the others should have been, couldn't be more helpful even told me New Kuga on show, in the LA car show, likely to hit the UK next year....... (said it was in Auto Express this week).

Anchs see what you mean about the Rav - had a look in the window of the one outside, wonder if there will be any changes for the 2012 year?

Gus

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links