Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacing The Rav

It is bizarre - there doesn't seem to be any "hunter - killer" car salesmen about.

I walked around the lot for about a half hour and then had to go find a salesman to get my current car.

I have walked away from others because no one was around.

Even going in for a repair or service, no one says "you've had your car for X years - have you thought about changing".

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CharlieFarlie

• firemac

• cabcurtains

• MarsKy

Even going in for a repair or service, no one says "you've had your car for X years - have you thought about changing".

Agreed. What I seem to get quite regularly is notification of 'special event' sales weekends etc...............

Oh, and reminders that my daughter's Yaris is due for service, MOT, free winter check etc. All this despite having notified them several times that the car was destroyed three years ago :unsure:

I think car showrooms are running on minimal staff due to relatively low sales and Customers wanting better and better deals often being asked to match on line figures... Result ?? Less staff on the floor ..........................

Wee Charlie.

I'm running an IX-35 at the mo and i have the following observations:

Positive - Handles well, loads of kit Sat Nav/Folding Mirrors/Double Roof etc etc, 5yr Warranty etc 40MPG with hard use.

Negative - Still Tacky on the inside, horrid shiney fake leather wheel. Seats have no support and you can feel the foam underneath, slow as a 1.7d. Its a white goods car.

Our Verso feels a lot better made and is more comfortable and refined.

Its a good effort but i would rather have a Toyota or Honda.

i highly recommend test driving the kia sportage, one of the nicest driving and best handling jeeps i have ever driven. Theres only 4500 miles on ours as yet and no problems except an issue with the leather upholstery on the drivers seat and i was told today i will be getting a new drivers seat no quibbles. The big thing for me is the 7 year warranty. My sister also has a 2wd santa fe and they are over the moon with it. I would only recommend hyundai,toyota, kia and honda,in the rav4 size and you will find you will get more for your money with hyundai or kia as i like the rav but think they are over priced along with honda but reflect years of reliability. My kia sportage kx3 was close to 25k but a lot of toys for that, another grand will buy you top dog with sat nav, upgraded sound system and rear camers etc If the kia is as reliable as toyota or honda i will be well chuffed. Only time will tell.

What about the Hyundai ix35? I am coming to the conclusion that I need to replace my gorgeous Mk1 1999 Rav with a mere 35K on the clock because of my left arthritic ankle. I am looking for a low mileage automatic 3 door Rav with a proper spare wheel on the back or something like the Hyundai ix35. These come with electric sunroof standard on some models - I often use my sunroof - I love fresh air in Summer and Winter!

I was interested to read about the Kia Sportage which has sunroof and option of parking camera (essential for a bigger car).

Very interesting thread. . . .

During our search we took in pretty much all of the cars mentioned originally. We had the QQ at the top of our list until we drove it! The 1.6 was dangerously slow and the 2.0 didn't have any sparkle.

We dimissed the Ford Kuga due to it's relative expensive and inflexible seating arrangements.

Kia / Hyundai's looked VERY tempting. But the examples around us didn't tick the boxes. Would have liked to have driven the VW but by then I'd settled on the Rav 4. The funny thing is we didn't even consider the Rav 4 at the start of our journey. It's only when a salesman at Arnold Clarke (who used to work for Toyota for 20 years) mentioned them. It was actually very random as we went to see a QQ but he wouldn't let us drive it until we'd seen a Rav 4. The main contender for us was the Honda CRV. The looked almost identical internally to the Rav 4 and had the same feature set (albeit it didn't have a permanent AWD option). My wife preferred the looks of the CRV, whilst I the Rav 4.

Went on at least 3 test drives of each and couldn't split them, but then I made the executive decision to go with the Rav 4 as the CRV looks like a BUS from behind :thumbsup:

Happy with our decision (albeit the fuel issues)

the CRV looks like a BUS from behind :thumbsup:

And a Catfish from the front.............

I have to be honest the CRV is leading the contenders, what I want, what I really really want is a Rav 4.4 :yahoo:

I was surprised that there will not be any changes to the Rav in 2012, I was kinda of expecting something to show it was a 2012 model.

The Kuga is updated and will be released here mid 2012 (slightly larger), CRV is being updated new one on show at the LA motor show, but what is interesting is they both will not have sun roofs (Charlie!) panoramic roofs yes, but they will not be opening roofs :angry:

so I will keeping mine for another year at least!

Gus

I have to be honest the CRV is leading the contenders, what I want, what I really really want is a Rav 4.4 :yahoo:

I was surprised that there will not be any changes to the Rav in 2012, I was kinda of expecting something to show it was a 2012 model.

The Kuga is updated and will be released here mid 2012 (slightly larger), CRV is being updated new one on show at the LA motor show, but what is interesting is they both will not have sun roofs (Charlie!) panoramic roofs yes, but they will not be opening roofs :angry:

Gus

Its looking increasingly like I will be getting the Evouque..... I love the Rav but the compromises are just to many... By the time You spec a Rav up to its top most spec it still falls short of what I have at the moment... Pano roofs are OK but no substitute for a tilting and opening one.......

As for the CRV... No way !its just so ugly.. None of these cars are exactly lookers but the CRV follows Honda traditions in its ugliness..

Wee Charlie.

but what is interesting is they both will not have sun roofs panoramic roofs yes, but they will not be opening roofs

The Hyundai ix35 has a panoramic roof but the front half opens electronically.

but what is interesting is they both will not have sun roofs panoramic roofs yes, but they will not be opening roofs

The Hyundai ix35 has a panoramic roof but the front half opens electronically.

I had a look at the IX35 but it doesn't feel right, the doors seem very thin and vunerable to dings, plus the comments by cabcurtains above, dosent put it for me into the contender bracket.

the one thing I keep coming back to is the Rav is a good vehicle to drive, it has a good response if you need to accelerate, it has what I need in a car and the bit that cant be beat is Mr T stands up to the plate when required.

Gus

I had a look at the IX35 but it doesn't feel right, the doors seem very thin and vunerable to dings, plus the comments by cabcurtains above, dosent put it for me into the contender bracket.

the one thing I keep coming back to is the Rav is a good vehicle to drive, it has a good response if you need to accelerate, it has what I need in a car and the bit that cant be beat is Mr T stands up to the plate when required.

Gus

The Rav is a very well built car.. In T180 guise it goes extremely well and is very well equipped.. I think Toyota made a big mistake when They upgraded or should I say downgraded to the current top of the range SR model.....

Yes its till well built but at 150 BHP its hardly class leading... I had a phone call from the Dealer with whom I have put My name on the list for an Evoque a couple of days ago offering Me a top of the range one that is a cancelled order.. Still at list price..

No discount but It would mean jumping the queue..... I will wait though. I firmly believe that by the time My order comes around the prices will have settled and the novelty factor will have also worn off.....

I have placed no deposit and put My name down on the basis that 3 months before delivery I will pay 50% and the balance on delivery.

Its just a waiting suck and see game...

Wee Charlie.

I don’t want to overly abuse the IX-35 because on paper it makes sense, but its noisy and the ride jiggly. I've done 1300 miles in it so far this week and it is tiresome.

Also i found a bizarre issue, when sat on the M1 at Jnc 16 on Tuesday for 3hrs i had my right elbow on the door pull/arm rest it started to actually hurt as the material is so thin over the plastic it’s like resting your elbow ball on a rock. Wednesday morning i woke up to a bruise on it! Cheap!

Mrs CC likes the car and we have discussed it as a possible Verso upgrade, however a loan car 11 plate RAV4 was a nicer finished/refined vehicle :)

Gus

Its looking increasingly like I will be getting the Evouque..... I love the Rav but the compromises are just to many... By the time You spec a Rav up to its top most spec it still falls short of what I have at the moment... Pano roofs are OK but no substitute for a tilting and opening one.......

As for the CRV... No way !its just so ugly.. None of these cars are exactly lookers but the CRV follows Honda traditions in its ugliness..

Wee Charlie.

No offence, WC, but anyone who thinks the CR-V is ugly but nevertheless intends to buy an Evoque needs to vist this site first: www.specsavers.co.uk

:) :)

Gus

Wee Charlie.

No offence, WC, but anyone who thinks the CR-V is ugly but nevertheless intends to buy an Evoque needs to vist this site first: www.specsavers.co.uk

Says the Man who chooses His tyre not on performance but cos they look good ................................. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Wee Charlie

WC, if you get an Evoque please try and avoid driving it like some of the tw"ts i have seen in the last few weeks, they are making the Audi A3 drivers look courteous and sensible. It appears they particularly like to show their fashion accessories by attaching them to back of other vehicles as close as possible :ffs:

I don’t get it personally, it’s a nice car but it can’t fly or do anything better than any other competitor except attract people who had a beetle then a mini and now need an new bag.... :lol: ;)

I guess this is another thread I will simply give up on ................................................... :blink: :blink:

Gus

Wee Charlie.

Says the Man who chooses His tyre not on performance but cos they look good ................................. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Wee Charlie

Taste (and innate driving skill) will out, Young Man.:thumbsup:

Pride comes before a fall...

Pride comes before a fall...

As does summer.........

Sorry, it's getting late :D

Cars it seems are like many things ... Tyres for instance ... If You have never tried them You cant really make an informed decision !!

Some even say really silly things like they are a total waste of money or perhaps a visit to that famous spectacle shop.............. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Try before You buy then make the decision ....................................

Wee Charlie.

Did you see the Evoque review on Fifth Gear: http://www.google.co...CG8jY3ToDkN8JFA

Comes out of it quite good.

Cars it seems are like many things ... Tyres for instance ... If You have never tried them You cant really make an informed decision !!

Some even say really silly things like they are a total waste of money or perhaps a visit to that famous spectacle shop.............. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Try before You buy then make the decision ....................................

Wee Charlie.

...................even for Nissans & Hyundais?! ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links