Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tire Pressure Monitoring System(Orange)

Marcos Ch

Tomorrow john. The company i use also made me a custom exhaust so they do lots of things. They fit lowering springs and customer service is second to none. Will drop in tomorrow. Maybe Marcos can let us know how the transmitters are"activated because mine havent arrived yet. Just so i can answer any questions they have about doing it for me

David

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tarquin

• johnan

• marcandsebe

• Marcos Ch

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey there,

The transmitters don't need to be activated. Once installed you just power on the display and that's about it. The only thing one has to be careful is with the position of each valve at the right tire: RF: right front RR: rear right rear LR: left rear LF: left front.

So Marcos are you saying when they were manufactured they started transmitting data whilst in the box from china. are you saying you didn't have to put the batteries in? or pull a paper or plastic tab out of each wheel transmitter

David

I contacted ORANGE TPMS about your question David, this is their answer:

The transmitters were program to be activated before shipment.  

BR

Peggy

Thanks Marco. Thats good except i want 6 months life expectancy back from the long boat from china. Lol

David

Went to my tyre company and they said its no problem £10 a wheel + vat. Sorted

David

Excellent David. They claim each transmitter lasts for about 7 years before they need to be replaced which is quite long I think, even if 6 months are wasted during shipping it :-) I'm v"happy with this gadget so far, I feel a bit proud now that because of me asking you something about it you went and bought one yourself:-)

Thanks for your help so far,

Marcos

Thats a nice thing to say Marcos. Had confirmation today from Amazon today it was shipped yesterday so should be here soon

David

When you get it there will be some more questions waiting for you:-)

Went to my tyre company and they said its no problem £10 a wheel + vat. Sorted

David

Excellent result. I wish those in my area were a bit more agreeable!

Perhaps my powers of persuasion are suspect.

Is that just a local place or one of the bigger national firms?

If my local places aren't keen to do it now, they are going to have to get used to doing it by this time next year.

John

Well thats it John. You probably find the main ones have a policy and until corporate say yes we do them now they dont. Ooo more than my jobs worth sir. I think its going to be an indipendant one for you. My tyre company is a family run buisness but is huge. They are called Elite tyres in rainham essex. Have a look at google at what they do

David

WOW... I'm impressed...did not know this fact.... :o

Strangely I am in and out of Maplin at least one week and never seen them. On the face of it my impression is I think its ugly and in the days of intergrated aerials I wouldnt want one on the side of my dash mounted unit. Also it would seem the transmitters are fitted to the outside of the wheel and subject to damage and vandalisim. On the plus side the battery's are user replacable, it can be fitted without the need of a tyre shop. Would have been nice to have seen the display.

David

Strangely I am in and out of Maplin at least one week and never seen them. On the face of it my impression is I think its ugly and in the days of intergrated aerials I wouldnt want one on the side of my dash mounted unit. Also it would seem the transmitters are fitted to the outside of the wheel and subject to damage and vandalisim. On the plus side the battery's are user replacable, it can be fitted without the need of a tyre shop. Would have been nice to have seen the display.

David

They are only available through their web site, David, hence not in shops.

One other question about the internal fitted sensors with a Battery life of up to seven years: Can the Battery be changed or is the complete sensor unit containing the Battery needing to be changed (ie the black bit that screws onto the valve part).

I have not come across any info on the battery as a separate unit so am curious.

Again.

Has your delivery come yet...can't wait to hear what you think of the system and its quality etc.

John

David

They are only available through their web site, David, hence not in shops.

One other question about the internal fitted sensors with a Battery life of up to seven years: Can the Battery be changed or is the complete sensor unit containing the Battery needing to be changed (ie the black bit that screws onto the valve part.

I have not come across any info on the battery as a separate unit so am curious.

Again.

Has your delivery come yet...can't wait to hear what you think of the system and its quality etc.

John

Sadly, no it hasn't yet. Until I have a close look at the transmitter I can't answer if its possible to change the battery. I think the right-up on the Maplin site said theirs was a CR2032 standard 3v job. At present prices eBay has replacement orange transmitters for around £33. but having said that it could be a problem. If you bought one as a spare, it would have been activated at manufacture so it could be as old as the one you may have bought as a kit, and after year 6 one of them fails and you put your spare in, it may only last a year!!. Also 6yrs down the line, you may not be able to get spare transmitters for it because the company has new products.Mind you if you were going to sell the car and one or two of the transmitters had failed , just don't give the new owner the receiver and they would be non the wiser.

David

From what I have gathered about these things, the inside tyre "Tyresure" type have the Battery integral inside the sensor housing and can not be changed separately.

Which means the life of the whole unit, display and sensors, could be say 5 years and after that it would be necessary to put in a whole new system and as technology will have moved on, that would not be a bad thing.

It is certainly not practical to buy some spare sensors because as soon as they are made it would appear the batteries are active.

The Maplin type seems a bit iffy.

They say you can buy replacement sensors but these are not available and have not been for some time.

Also the valve stem to which the sensor is fitted apparently can be damaged by the extra centripetal/centrifugal force on it due to the increased rotational mass of the sensor screwed onto the end of it.

Also the screen look pathetic, as does the aerial.

Another concern I have is that some of the Maplin reviewers say they are great to fit to caravans so you can keep an eye on the tyre pressures on them, as you have no other way of telling if a tyre is OK in transit.

But that means the wireless range of the sensor transmitters must be quite large to reach from a caravan axle to a car dasboard, so once all new cars have to fitted with such systems, will there not be a lot of interference as cars pass each other etc?

Surely there is a limited range of frequencies available for things like these?

John

Hi John

A lot of what you said was my feeling as well except i missed the mass rotational bit. The reason for the Helically wound aerial on the side of the Maplin unit is for the extra receive range so it can pic up the weak signals from your caravan's wheels. Some of these aerials have unity gain (amplification) but others are quite good and have gain of 6db which is 4 x that of an internal aerial. There are certain frequency's that Offcom set a side for certain equipment and are licence free 433Mhz is such one and is used for signalling. First seen by us common people as used in key fob remotes. By using loop aerial technics it is possible to fit the aerial in a key fob. For true range where signalling is required over further distances, ideally the aerial should be 170mm long.Sorry had my radio head on for a mo. with all remotes and remote signalling the frequency stays the same , its the unique code that changes between manufacturers and equipment. There are millions of codes. Its the same for your TV remote except instead of the code being modulated onto an infrared LED its modulated onto a Radio frequency carrier.

My Orange unit still hasn't arrived!!!!!

David

Hi John

David

How annoying, hope you didn't pay too much for P & P!

Lets hope it arrives before the weekend, or you may have to wait until Monday.

Not good.

John

Hi John

David

Not good.

John

Ordered it from Amazon who farmed it out to who knows. Ah just found the e-mail £12.58 postage!!! and ship within 2-3 days. expected delivery 7th-29 Dec. Give up with this country. the company they farmed it out to probably have to get it from China. edited post was right

KULETONG TECH LTD in china apparently shipped on the 29th on a slow boat. If i get clobbered for import duty I won't be pleased. There was no warning of its location. It was Amazon UK not ,com. Quite fed up now. This drop shipping crap is not right.Edited again Just checked and that is the company selling them on eBay!!!. They also sell one that displays in the rearview mirror I wonder if Marcos knows about them

David

Hi John

David

Not good.

John

Ordered it from Amazon who farmed it out to who knows. Ah just found the e-mail £12.58 postage!!! and ship within 2-3 days. expected delivery 7th-29 Dec. Give up with this country. the company they farmed it out to probably have to get it from China. edited post was right

KULETONG TECH LTD in china apparently shipped on the 29th on a slow boat. If i get clobbered for import duty I won't be pleased. There was no warning of its location. It was Amazon UK not ,com. Quite fed up now. This drop shipping crap is not right.Edited again Just checked and that is the company selling them on eBay!!!. They also sell one that displays in the rearview mirror I wonder if Marcos knows about them

David

I deal with Demon Tweeks quite often for parts for other cars and I see they have the Tyresure Tpms for next day delivery.Bit more cost than e-bay but at least there is some comeback in case of problems. I think it is the same as the "Orange" one.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Product.do?method=view&n=1770&g=0&p=40157&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Motorsport

No use to you now unfortunately.

Is yours really coming from China?? Surely not???

John

I also drive a Nissan Navara (At least twice the length of the iQ, and some) I need this big vehicle to tow a 24' long caravan. (My iQ3 is just not man enough HaHa!) I was thinking of buying one of these, but with 6 pressure, monitors. I see it being more for the brand new caravan than the Navara. If you get a blow out on a caravan, you will probably lose it. Do you really need them on an iQ with such a short wheelbase? I'm not sure.

I also drive a Nissan Navara (At least twice the length of the iQ, and some) I need this big vehicle to tow a 24' long caravan. (My iQ3 is just not man enough HaHa!) I was thinking of buying one of these, but with 6 pressure, monitors. I see it being more for the brand new caravan than the Navara. If you get a blow out on a caravan, you will probably lose it. Do you really need them on an iQ with such a short wheelbase? I'm not sure.

I carry a spare in my IQ to save hassles with the goo and the inflater, and getting it fixed after a puncture, as I don't need to use the rear seats for passengers, but if I didn't I think these TPMS things may give a warning of a tyre deflating so you could stop before running on the rim which could damage or displace the tyre so the goo wouldn't work, and then you would be stuck until MrAA comes along.

If I got one it would be just because I like gadgets!

I carry a spare in my IQ to save hassles with the goo and the inflater, and getting it fixed after a puncture, as I don't need to use the rear seats for passengers, but if I didn't I think these TPMS things may give a warning of a tyre deflating so you could stop before running on the rim which could damage or displace the tyre so the goo wouldn't work, and then you would be stuck until MrAA comes along.

If I got one it would be just because I like gadgets!

Its a gadget!! Having said that, with 35 profiles, I have less time before I hit the rims lol

David

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links