Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Charliefarlies Guide To The Toyota 2Ad Diesel Engine And Its Issues.

CharlieFarlie

An update.

I gave my car in for the dealer to inspect it, they've said that in addition to the engine exchange, they'll also only be replacing the injectors (1-4). I queried whether they'd be exchanging the 5th one as well, but they said, no, the car only has 4 injectors and they'll be replacing all 4. Any ideas as to why they're unaware of the 5th injector?

They also said that the EGR valve won't be replaced. I checked the engine manage codes before I gave the car in and it had 2 codes, both of which were p0400, so am surprised that they've come to this conclusion.

I asked whether my car has a DPF, but they said they can't tell, as this isn't given in the spec. of the car, even from the chassis no. He doubts it has one, but if it does have one then it's not showing any issues, so that won't be replaced and neither will the cat.

Also it says in the first post that it's recommend to replace the clutch at the same time as there will be no labour costs (the post mentions the RAV4 but I have a Verso), is this something that the dealer will ring me to ask if I want it changed once they've taken everything apart or should I ask them to change it, in case they don't end up ringing me or is it not that expensive on a Verso to do afterwards?

Thanks.

Ring and ask for a price, I would not risk it happening automatically

Kingo :thumbsup:

An update.

I gave my car in for the dealer to inspect it, they've said that in addition to the engine exchange, they'll also only be replacing the injectors (1-4). I queried whether they'd be exchanging the 5th one as well, but they said, no, the car only has 4 injectors and they'll be replacing all 4. Any ideas as to why they're unaware of the 5th injector?

They also said that the EGR valve won't be replaced. I checked the engine manage codes before I gave the car in and it had 2 codes, both of which were p0400, so am surprised that they've come to this conclusion.

I asked whether my car has a DPF, but they said they can't tell, as this isn't given in the spec. of the car, even from the chassis no. He doubts it has one, but if it does have one then it's not showing any issues, so that won't be replaced and neither will the cat.

Also it says in the first post that it's recommend to replace the clutch at the same time as there will be no labour costs (the post mentions the RAV4 but I have a Verso), is this something that the dealer will ring me to ask if I want it changed once they've taken everything apart or should I ask them to change it, in case they don't end up ringing me or is it not that expensive on a Verso to do afterwards?

Thanks.

The vehicle has 4 injectors proper and they are the normal ones to get changed. You are lucky, they don't often do it and that job alone is worth about £2k to you. If they don't know if it has a DPNR they are baloons because anyone who knows anything about them can see it. I'm surprised they won't do your EGR if it is showing P0400.

Thanks for the replies, I'll ring them tomorrow to see how much it will cost to replace the clutch assembly, would anyone be able to look up the exact price, so that I can check that the quote that they give me is accurate? What does a clutch assembly consist of? The first post doesn't mention the flywheel, so not sure if that needs to be replaced?

They said 3 of the 4 injectors were faulty and as they come in a set, they'll also replace the 4th one as well for no extra charge.

He said they can never tell whether a car has a DPF, unless they start taking things apart, and they can't even tell from the chassis number whether the car came fitted with one or not, as the Toyota spec's don't list this detail.

Thanks in advance and many many thanks to Charlie for this thread, I would have lived with topping up the oil every few weeks for as long as I owned the car, which I plan to keep for years to come :)

Clutch consists of

Driven plate

Pressure plate

And the Thrust bearing sometimes called release bearing..

I paid £280 plus VAT for the three piece kit..

Prince_209 I may have missed it but I can't see if you have a normal 2.2 Verso or if you a T180 version, the reason being if you don't have a T180 then you will not have a DPNR nor a 5th injector

Thanks Charlie, will compare that figure to what they quote me. My clutch does seem OK to me though, but I guess it's good to get it done anyway. Any idea how much I'd be saving on labour costs by getting it done now rather than when it actually goes? I got one done on my last car, an Astra for £400 all-in, supplied by Vauxhall and fitted at a private garage, but I guess the Verso's a different beast!

Devon Aygo, I have a normal 2.2 Verso, which I believe is 136bhp. That probably explains why they didn't understand about the 5th injector then! I am guessing that the DPF is a part of the DPNR? If so, as I have the normal Verso, you're saying that I won't have a DPNR? That clarifies those two points then, thanks very much for your help :)

Well, my '06 Avensis D4D T3-X 2.2 is currently with Lindop Toyota (Parts-King on here I think).

Fingers crossed the big oil leak at the back of the head gasket, coolant I had to top up the other month, 2.5 litres oil down on MOT with them last October, me topping up all the time, plus down again on Monday's service with my mechanic (who spotted leak) are all signs that it's a valid claim under the Extended 7 yr/114,00 mile warranty, and not a big bill for me!

Thought it was weird for the last year that 22 degrees was the new 20 on the heater.

Full service history, 94,000 miles and is 7 years old this 11th August 2013. Hope she's alright...

Clutch consists of

Driven plate

Pressure plate

You were spot on with that figure Charlie! :) I've asked them to replace the clutch as well whilst they're at it. Thanks.

Clutch consists of

Driven plate

Pressure plate

You were spot on with that figure Charlie! :) I've asked them to replace the clutch as well whilst they're at it. Thanks.

No problems mate.. I cannot see the point in not changing the clutch while the labour is of no cost.. My cars one was fine when inspected at under 50K miles but I still paid for a new one and it has drastically improved the not so clever 1ist to 2nd gear change on my car !

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Team

i need a little advise, my rav4 sr180 2008 (70,000) in in the middle of a seires of issues which started with lack of power or dead spots in the throttle, no engine lights on , i had a roadside repair which was cleaning out of the egr valve, it looked like a snuff box on the engine input side, i drove ok for 200 miles then the fault developed to code P1386 and the egr valve was replaced , after this the fuel filter was changed which fixed the deadspots in the throttle, the car now goes like new again. but intermittently i get the fault code P1386, this puts the car into limp mode. the garage then replaced the fifth injector, but i'm still getting the P1386 approx every 200 miles. i have bought a hand held scanner which i use to read and clear the code, before and after the fault code the car drives great, i have asked the dealer about the engine replacement programme but they tell me that only head gasket failure and high oil usage now qualify.

any thoughts , comments and help would be greatly appreciated

Part of the problem may be down to your type of usage - ie. lots of stop/start town driving or short runs from cold. All that would suggest is that the DPF is not getting up to temperature fully & so it continually clogs up. If this is the case, then try to reduce your short runs & go for a longer one at least once a week at higher (motorway) speeds. This will help the system self-clean or regenerate. :)

You should never get P1386 alone if the 5th injector is faulty. It could well be that it was replaced unnecessarily. Is the air filter clean? You could remove it just to try but kick it out and get a new one if in doubt. The rest of the diagnosis revolves around potential blockage of the EGR (you have to be sure it was done properly including the feed pipe or block the thing off altogether) or maybe the DPNR or part of the exhaust. Has it had a new engine?

air filter replaced 700 miles ago during service, the egr valve assembly which included the pipework, gaskets was changed by the toyota dealer 2000 miles ago, so i assume it was done correctly, this is the original engine, my normal journey would be 90 ish miles twice a day not everyday. which would be M25 type driving ie high speed mixed with start -stop but very rarely the 5 mins to the shops deal.

I am now going down the line of using only Shell fuel and pushing up the revs a couple of times on each journey, as i have tended to drive with the least amount of throttle/fuel and sit at low revs in top gear a lot.

any idea what a DPNR would/should cost? , also i have read the LAMBDA sensor tends to have a life span of 70-100 k miles, if this is degraded i would guess that the ecu may be send the wrong mix and the clogging is due to too rich fuel mix!

A faulty Lambda sensor should 'in theory' throw up a fault code, but it may be worth looking at as it's infinitely cheaper than a new DPNR !

An update... I got the car back, with a replacement engine and a set of new injectors fitted. What can I say, wow, it's so fast now, the car actually moves now! Before the engine swap, I can now say that it used to drive as if I was driving with the handbrake on :P The car actually pulls really well now.

One thing I've noticed though was that the heating blows out cold air, even when the engine's warmed up, it never blows out any hot air. So I rang the dealer and have taken it back to them to look into. They told me that's it's not an air-lock and they also noticed that I've lost some coolant - 0.75 litres, I haven't spotted any leaks under the car though, so not sure where the coolant's going.

The heating worked absolutely fine and I wasn't losing any coolant before the engine swap though, so not sure what's caused these problems, hopefully nothing too major!

An update... I got the car back, with a replacement engine and a set of new injectors fitted. What can I say, wow, it's so fast now, the car actually moves now! Before the engine swap, I can now say that it used to drive as if I was driving with the handbrake on! The car pulls really well now.

One thing I've noticed though was that the heating blows out cold air, even when the engine's warmed up, it never blows out any hot air. So I rang the dealer and have taken it back to them to look into. They told me that's it's not an air-lock and they also noticed that I've lost some coolant - 0.75 litres, I haven't spotted any leaks on the ground under the car though, so not sure where the coolant's going.

The heating worked absolutely fine and I wasn't losing any coolant before the engine swap though, so not sure what's caused these problems, hopefully nothing too major!

I thought I remember reading about someone who said that if their heater blows out cold air, then there's a problem with the engine, will have a search through this thread....
  • Like 1

Glad you got your car sorted !

Not sure why cold air from the vents would indicate problems and is as far as I know not indicative of a problem.. Not sure why it would do this though..

Any engine must reach optimum temperature to run correctly and a hot engine is a major problem and a cold one is also a concern..

You do not say what your gauge is indicating ? Hopefully its right in the middle as I expect it is..

Your dealer workshop will I bet sort your heater out !

• 3 weeks later...

Auris 2.2 180 66, 000 miles

Hi everyone, what does the B line mean on the coolant bottle? It doesn't say in the manual. I ask because my coolant is currently sitting at low when hot. Should it be at max or b? Is b for boiling?

Cheers Phil

"B" is for "buy" some more coolant

Dave

• Like 1

But B is above the max line. Why top up if it was at that line. I'm aware that I need coolant I'm curious as to that the B means

• 4 weeks later...

I'm probably going a bit off topic here but on Watchdog BBC1 last night they were talking about timing chain failures on BMW engines causing a new engine to be required. The cars were about the same age as the Toyota ones with these oil burning problems described on here. BMW weren't really interested in paying for this , all I can say is 3 cheers for the attitude of Mr T in replacing engines foc.

Think that BMW have taken the approach that if the car had a BMW service history, then goodwill contributions were possible. Cars which had servicing done outside of the dealer network weren't eligible for goodwill.

This is the approach that other manufacturers adopt.

I'm probably going a bit off topic here but on Watchdog BBC1 last night they were talking about timing chain failures on BMW engines causing a new engine to be required. The cars were about the same age as the Toyota ones with these oil burning problems described on here. BMW weren't really interested in paying for this , all I can say is 3 cheers for the attitude of Mr T in replacing engines foc.

Whit....? Whit.....? BMW engines can cause problems, Paul....? Let's hope they never sign any agreements wih Toyota then regarding using their engines, whit?

Apart from old A Series engines, my experience with chain driven camshafts is that they behave perfectly unless the oil is left too long. The same would apply to a BMW. It is why I am wary of these very long service intervals. I think they can go up to 20 or 30k depending on how they are driven. As my Scottish mate would say - pish. Our Japanese friends have it right - 10k or 12 months, old fashioned or not.

Absolutely right. My old Audi A4 Tdi was supposed to have an oil change at approx 18k mls ! Personally I stuck to the service schedule but had an interim oil change done halfway through at 9k mls. It kept the oil cleaner & the motor ran smoother.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links