Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Charliefarlies Guide To The Toyota 2Ad Diesel Engine And Its Issues.

CharlieFarlie

It had the EGR valve cleaned two weeks ago. Apart from that everything else is working fine. So it would depend on how cheal the dealer is willing to go on the repair. The initial cost for an engine replacement was £9257.55 incl VAT, so a long way to go befor eits economically viable.

You need a sit down and a talk on prices with the dealer. Have you contacted Toyota?

Kingo :thumbsup:

Firstly it is good news that the Opti fit engine is available for owners that will fall outside of the warranty......

The cheapest way of getting one fitted will surely be at a Toyota dealers ( Unless one is a competent mechanic )

Because they have fitted so many they will have practice and speed on their side which should keep the hours down.

I would advise you calling Toyota customer service and asking very nicely for assistance even if its only in a contributary way ..

In the case of your car .. If the value of the car is 3.5K I would not be repairing it.. Its just not worth it... Sorry...

To bd honest that's what I am thinking. If there is no risk of danger I will keep the oil topped up and get a service done and keep it going until I find something else to buy. Thanks for all the advice.

EDIT:

I need to do some further checking but it might be that this engine has to be fitted as warranty in order to get the £1600 surcharge back, otherwise it will cost best part of 3K. Just trying to search out a bulletin but it is a bit unclear at this time

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hello all,

This subject has been consuming me for many weeks now and thanks to CharlieFarlie and a google search bringing me to this forum, I have much needed answers. I'm sure for the old hands on here this is a tedious subject but having bought a 2008 Auris SR180 in August with 50000 on the clock and all the possible extras, I was chuffed with the car. The computer read 37mpg at the time and the car seemed to drive fine, since then it has all gone down hill. The mpg has steadily dropped to 32 and the car started to hesitate on acceleration. Now regretting the purchase I began to search the Internet for anyone else with similar problems and found a thread on this forum about blocked EGR valves and how easy it is to clean. So with the help of my brother inlaw, who is a mechanic, we took a look at the valve and sure enough it was solid with carbon deposits. Upon cleaning it I was, as the thread suggested, expecting no hesitation on acceleration and better mpg. Unfortunately the acceleration improved only slightly and the mpg stayed the same.

About ready to sell the car on, regrettably as me and my wife do really like it, I decided to google one more time and found a post by CharlieFarlie (thanks once again) detailing the extended warranty on the engine and the known common fault with this engine. So today I took it to my local Toyota dealership to see what they had to say about it and they booked me in (at a cost of £77) to have the car diagnosed but they did not show any aknowledgment of the issue. What I would like to know is, if anyone is not so sick to death of repeating themselves on this subject, what exactly is the specific cause of this problem and when and indeed if they replace/rebuild the engine will it cure the fault or just reset the time it has left until the 7 years is up?

Thanks

Tom (Frustrated Toyota owner)

Tom, basically the problem is caused by oil getting past the pistons and into the combustion side of things. There have been reports of subsequent problems after re-build or replacement but that was early on in the programme and I would have thought that is unlikely to be the case now that Toyota have had time to get things properly sorted..........................

Oh, and welcome to the forum - you don't have to own a RAV to be here [and several don't just now] :thumbsup:

Welcome to the Forum mate...

One of the main problems is carbon build up that can lead to head gasket fail due to "Shuffle"! This in turn requires a new engine as you know that is covered under Toyota 7 year 112k extended good will warranty. Your Mpg will go down (And your power up) due to the cold weather and dense air! Also the fuel companies switch to there "Winter grade" derv around the oct/nov time with anti waxing additives.

Try using Shell V-Power diesel with some BG244 (And change the fuel filter if not already done) or these products will help below... The choice of engine oil is very important in the 2.2 T-180 as it needs to be a C2 spec 0w-30 or 5w-30 such as Mobil 1 ESP or Shell Helix Ultra Extra! both meet the low ash content for the D-CAT system and have VW 507 00 highest spec...

http://www.powerenha...ine-concentrate

http://www.powerenha...f---cat-cleaner

http://www.powerenha...ifier-lubricant

Ps... Use code "MPG" on checkout and get 15% off

Thanks for the replays people,

I guess I will just have to wait and see what the diagnosis comes up with but I have a feeling it's not going to be a simple process. Having seen what everyone has been saying on the subject I am 99 percent sure that I have this problem and if toyota don't feel that this is the case and leave me with a car which is in my opinion useless. The whole idea of the car was to have a bit of poke combined with half decent fuel economy. At the moment I have rubbish mpg and a bad neck from an accelerator pedal that does nothing....nothing....nothing....then slams your head against the seat!

Am I right in saying this extended warranty was never made public? Also the thing that worries me is that I had the EGR cleaned when had I known about this warranty I would of left for them to see for themselves to help my case. Am I right in saying that if there are bad carbon deposits here then there should be similar evidence else were on the car for them to confirm my findings?

Thanks again

Tom

Welcome to the Forum mate...

One of the main problems is carbon build up that can lead to head gasket fail due to "Shuffle"! This in turn requires a new engine as you know that is covered under Toyota 7 year 112k extended good will warranty. Your Mpg will go down (And your power up) due to the cold weather and dense air! Also the fuel companies switch to there "Winter grade" derv around the oct/nov time with anti waxing additives.

Try using Shell V-Power diesel with some BG244 (And change the fuel filter if not already done) or these products will help below... The choice of engine oil is very important in the 2.2 T-180 as it needs to be a C2 spec 0w-30 or 5w-30 such as Mobil 1 ESP or Shell Helix Ultra Extra! both meet the low ash content for the D-CAT system and have VW 507 00 highest spec...

http://www.powerenha...ine-concentrate

http://www.powerenha...f---cat-cleaner

http://www.powerenha...ifier-lubricant

Ps... Use code "MPG" on checkout and get 15% off

Tim .. I got your message yesterday I will try and call you today..

Again Tim.... I question the validity of using fuel additives if an engine is under investigation ? Is it not like cleaning the EGR valve as the OP has said ? Using fuels like Vpower and fuel additives are a good idea and I use only Vpower in our cars but could it be using them on a questionable engine could be papering over the cracks ?

Tom..... If your engine is burning oil in excess of the guidelines set out in post one on this thread then you will get a replacement engine. It is the main requirement as it is the main pointer as to what is going on inside your engine.,

Gotta agree with Charlie there, Timsur.....using good fuel now is like shutting the barn door after the bird has flown out yer hand into the bush. I would continue with whatever fuel Tom has been using....all the classic symptoms are there and we await the birth of .....yep....you guessed it....a new engine.

Pastor Kev

Yes... I agree with both Charlie and the Kevmister here. What I failed to put over in my post was, that GTL fuels such as Shell V-Power and other additives can help stave off engine problems down the line on an engine in good condition. But if the tell tail signs of carbon (Oil usage) are already there and a warranty is avaliable to call upon then Tom should make use of said warranty.

Barristor Tiny Tim :euro:

Equally, if somebody picks one of these up part life/second hand, they could save some problems by going to better fuel. I would hate for somebody to get stranded while they are "waiting" for a fault to manifest itself. I agree that good fuel isn't a cure for an effected engine.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello people,

I have just got back from picking the car up from Toyota and they have topped up the oil and I have to go back after 621 miles to be retested. Whilst there the guy that served me said that he owned an SR180 and said that the fuel consumption was terrible anyway never getting anymore than 32 mpg out of it from new! He may of been driving like a head case everywhere but I have my doubts. If that is the case then it's got to go I'm afraid. The only thing that can rescue it is a chip but I have heard so many conflicting stories about these actually working. A 170 bhp golf can can achieve 45-50 mpg but this struggles to do 35mpg but unfortunately you have to pay an extra £2000 to pay for the Badge on a Volkswagen. It seems to be a good car let down by a poor engine? Sorry if I've offended anyone by saying that!

Thanks Tom

If you wanted good fuel consumption you could have got it with the lower output version in the XT-Rs.

Hello people,

I have just got back from picking the car up from Toyota and they have topped up the oil and I have to go back after 621 miles to be retested. Whilst there the guy that served me said that he owned an SR180 and said that the fuel consumption was terrible anyway never getting anymore than 32 mpg out of it from new! He may of been driving like a head case everywhere but I have my doubts. If that is the case then it's got to go I'm afraid. The only thing that can rescue it is a chip but I have heard so many conflicting stories about these actually working. A 170 bhp golf can can achieve 45-50 mpg but this struggles to do 35mpg but unfortunately you have to pay an extra £2000 to pay for the Badge on a Volkswagen. It seems to be a good car let down by a poor engine? Sorry if I've offended anyone by saying that!

Thanks Tom

Lost me there, Tom.......your vehicular comparisons.......were you going to fit the Golf in the back of the Rav, like.......? Then you admit that owning such an inferior car costs more.....? Baffled......

Big Kev

My T180 has been in toyota cardiff since 27th Dec and they still havnt confirmed if i can have a new engine they have said thay its got an oil leak and needs a new cat and dpf, although im fairly certain its linked to this issue. im just hoping they agree!

I used Toyota World Cardiff for my ~HG failure!... Were good with me tbh

Thats good to know, do you know who u dealt with there?

What seems to be a bit confusing with Tombolas situation is that he posted on the RAV4 section about the AURIS SR180 he has, and the Golf is, I guess, a direct competitor to the Auris.

What seems to be a bit confusing with Tombolas situation is that he posted on the RAV4 section about the AURIS SR180 he has, and the Golf is, I guess, a direct competitor to the Auris.

That explains a lot....................................

David I have PMd my number as promised..

Sorry big kev a bit confusing Hoovie is right I have an auris, I just think this engine has so many issues.I have been advised of the oil consumption issue, the ecu not adapting to driving styles and needing to be reset every few months, the MAF sensor needing cleaning, the air filter needing cleaning or upgrading in between services, fuel additives, poor DPF regeneration (although this applies to all modern diesels I think) and I'm still learning more issues that seem to contribute to terrible fuel consumption. This car was supposed to be a compromise between performance and economy but its turning into a temperamental diva that requires extra special attention!

But do I still love it enough to put up with its problems? I will try all of the above and prey it works because issues aside I really like the car, but if cars were humans mine needs to go to Alcoholics Anonymous, cos its got a drinking problem!

Sorry big kev a bit confusing Hoovie is right I have an auris, I just think this engine has so many issues.I have been advised of the oil consumption issue, the ecu not adapting to driving styles and needing to be reset every few months, the MAF sensor needing cleaning, the air filter needing cleaning or upgrading in between services, fuel additives, poor DPF regeneration (although this applies to all modern diesels I think) and I'm still learning more issues that seem to contribute to terrible fuel consumption. This car was supposed to be a compromise between performance and economy but its turning into a temperamental diva that requires extra special attention!

But do I still love it enough to put up with its problems? I will try all of the above and prey it works because issues aside I really like the car, but if cars were humans mine needs to go to Alcoholics Anonymous, cos its got a drinking problem!

Clarificated well Tom :thumbsup:

I know this is off-topic really, but the Auris seems to be a bit of a forgotten car, but I have always thought they looked just right and seemed a great all-round car. Tom, ignoring all things engine, how do you find the Auris generally? And in comparison to Golfs, etc?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links