Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hybrid Health Check At Main Dealers

cootuk

Has anyone got a printout of what results you get (suitably redacted)?

Mine's booked in for the end of this month, so I'll put one up if it hasn't been done beforehand.

Could be nice to get a few online so we can compare how systems are holding up...especially for those who think they have HV issues.

• Like 1

Might see if I can get mine done with the recall. Be curious to see how the test is done. Does it take account of temperature increases internally - mine only seems to display issues when it gets hot.

Toyota should put a video up of what is done for the test.

I imagine it has to be done on the MOT roller-brake tester so regen braking/acceleration can be tested.

I also imagine they need to high load the Battery to measure max drain and total remaining capacity over a couple of discharges.

This would also stress test the coolant system and check the inverter.

A few examples of good/problem results would be desirable so people can interpet what the dealer is telling them.

All that for £39? Can't see it. That's less than an hours labour.

If the marketing blurb says, it is for the customer's benefit, their peace of mind, and free, then none of that is very likely to be true.

Toyota should put a video up of what is done for the test.

I imagine it has to be done on the MOT roller-brake tester so regen braking/acceleration can be tested.

I also imagine they need to high load the battery to measure max drain and total remaining capacity over a couple of discharges.

This would also stress test the coolant system and check the inverter.

A few examples of good/problem results would be desirable so people can interpet what the dealer is telling them.

I have not seen one done yet, but it is all done through the Toyota hand held tester I believe. It produces a print out

I will see if I can get one done

Kingo :thumbsup:

Just had my Prius serviced. I asked the service guy if they'd done the hybrid health check. No, he says. Ah, I says, software crashed has it? Yes, he says, how did you know? Ah, I says, the power of the internet.

When I get home I look at the check sheet where the "technician" has carefully ticked the hybrid health check box. So that's all right then, I have it in writing on a signed sheet that Toyota checked my car.

Mind you, as he's also ticked the "check clutch cable" box I'm not sure how useful that is...

• Like 2

hi you heard about the recent recall on toyota prius...

hi you heard about the recent recall on toyota prius...

Yep.

It's in the other thread under 'recall' ;)

That report is certainly a bit sp ****...

hahaha you type @rse in sp@rse and it changes the word on here to spubic

What where expecting?

The HHC only really covers the operational elements of the Hybrid Battery with a mention of coolant and coolant pump ( these need to be in good order before tthe test is completed ) as the warranty provided only concerns the Hybrid Battery.

"We will complete a full test of the whole Hybrid Synergy Drive® system." according to their website.

Their blog states

"How does Hybrid Synergy Drive work?

Hybrid Synergy Drive comprises six primary components: petrol engine, electric motor, electric generator, Battery, power control unit, and a power split device that uses a special planetary gearbox to distribute power from the engine, motor and generator."

I would therefore expect a more extensive test.

I think there's a lot of worry about the 'battery' when people ask about a hybrid and thus this extra warranty puts this to rest.

Personally I want to see my test results and I wouldn't be surprised to see the odd dodgy cell. Hope they let you keep the printouts.

Anyone know?

I think there's a lot of worry about the 'battery' when people ask about a hybrid and thus this extra warranty puts this to rest.

Personally I want to see my test results and I wouldn't be surprised to see the odd dodgy cell. Hope they let you keep the printouts.

Anyone know?

The certificate is for the owner / driver along with a copy of the T's & C's, giving if appropriate the 12 month Battery warranty.

"We will complete a full test of the whole Hybrid Synergy Drive® system." according to their website.

Their blog states

"How does Hybrid Synergy Drive work?

Hybrid Synergy Drive comprises six primary components: petrol engine, electric motor, electric generator, battery, power control unit, and a power split device that uses a special planetary gearbox to distribute power from the engine, motor and generator."

I would therefore expect a more extensive test.

I think the level of test you are looking for is beyond that of just about about any main dealer in the UK , to carry out tests on the operation of the drivetrain they would need a rolling road able to detect not just acceleration but also deceleration ( regen ) an MOT brake roller is not capable of this it is only capable of applying a specific rolling rate to the wheels then detecting what brake force a wheel can apply at no time does the car apply drive to the roller tester.

I will make notes of the specific operations carried out during the test on the next HHC I see completed, hopefully the test will meet your expectations. Otherwise you don't have to pay for a standalone test and you could always decline the free test included with a service.

I think I'm just very aware that my car was first supplied March 2006 and, yes, this is ideal for warrantying the Battery, but the website blurb intimates that more of the system would be tested...major parts like the transaxle appear to be ignored apart from if there's an error code. I think Toyota need to reword what they are actually offering.

I think Toyota are very original. Nobody else offers this sort of thing in the UK. VW have fun and games with their DSG gearbox but don't offer an extra warranty.

Toyota are offering UPTO 10 years of warranty on a Battery upto at least 110k miles. This is the same Battery that people all mock will only last 3 years (because their mobile phone only lasts that long etc). I think this is an amazing offering. Nobody else offers anything similar, including Toyotas hybrid competitor Honda.

Get a "Toyota Hybrid Service" [blue] leaflet at your Toyota service dealer, it gives all details. More details are available at toyota.co.uk/5yearwarranty

New Prius owner here. Got a used 2008 Gen 2 and I immediately sorted its 70k intermediate service which was due at purchase. Got home and realised I had no evidence of a Hybrid Health Check. Contacted dealer by phone to clarify situation.

First time I spoke to them I was advised it was only carried out at a Full+ service. Explained this was not what Toyota's website said, and that website said it would be carried out at every service free of charge. Service manager was great and said she'd get back to me which she did very promptly.

At call back I was told that Toyota have told dealers that the Hybrid Health Check is only a free addition to the service when the vehicle is within its manufacturers warranty. However since my vehicle is outside this period it would not be a free of charge addition to the service ordinarily. However since the website does not say this, they would happily perform it on my vehicle free of charge on this occasion. However they explained in future I would likely need to pay the £39 surcharge if I wanted it to be carried out in addition to the regular service.

Not sure how accurate all this is since it sounds like the HHC is a fairly new offering from Toyota and the dealers aren't quite up to speed with the T&C's of the offer. The website is very clear that it is offered with every service and no mention of it being FOC only within manufacturers warranty. Wondered if anyone else had been told similar information? In all fairness I wouldn't begrudge the extra charge, total cost of Full+ service and HHC still cheaper than the first 12 month service on my wife's Fiat 500!

Cheers

New Prius owner here. Got a used 2008 Gen 2 and I immediately sorted its 70k intermediate service which was due at purchase. Got home and realised I had no evidence of a Hybrid Health Check. Contacted dealer by phone to clarify situation.

First time I spoke to them I was advised it was only carried out at a Full+ service. Explained this was not what Toyota's website said, and that website said it would be carried out at every service free of charge. Service manager was great and said she'd get back to me which she did very promptly.

At call back I was told that Toyota have told dealers that the Hybrid Health Check is only a free addition to the service when the vehicle is within its manufacturers warranty. However since my vehicle is outside this period it would not be a free of charge addition to the service ordinarily. However since the website does not say this, they would happily perform it on my vehicle free of charge on this occasion. However they explained in future I would likely need to pay the £39 surcharge if I wanted it to be carried out in addition to the regular service.

Not sure how accurate all this is since it sounds like the HHC is a fairly new offering from Toyota and the dealers aren't quite up to speed with the T&C's of the offer. The website is very clear that it is offered with every service and no mention of it being FOC only within manufacturers warranty. Wondered if anyone else had been told similar information? In all fairness I wouldn't begrudge the extra charge, total cost of Full+ service and HHC still cheaper than the first 12 month service on my wife's Fiat 500!

Cheers

Why do you think your Hybrid warranty has expired?

The Prius Gen 2 has the best Hybrid warranty of any Hybrid, the Hybrid warranty is 8 years or 100,000 miles and it includes all the Hybrid components (e.g. Transaxle, Inverter, and the HV Battery). The rest of the car including the Petrol engine and Multi-function Display is only covered by the manufacturers 3 year warranty and I think 60,000 miles, and I can't recall the length of the body work corrosion warranty.

Toyota GB/EU has reduced the quality and length of the Hybrid warranty for models after the Prius Gen 2, they have also in my opinion, taken advantage of the general ignorance of most people by only covering the HV Battery for 8 years. The HHC is continuing that dishonesty.

Good point, I suspect they were referring to the manufacturers 3 year Warranty. However you are quite right, the hybrid system is still within warranty.

Excuse my own ignorance but I would have thought 8 years cover on a HV Battery was pretty good, with extensions using annual HHCs? I'm sure I'm missing something though!

8 years is good, but the 10 years in California would be even better.

My point is that the Prius Gen 2 has a very good Hybrid warranty, and you do not want to mistake or confuse it with the inferior warranty of the later hybrid models. It seems likely that your dealer has already made this mistake when informing you that your car was out of warranty!!

For example, the Hybrid transaxle contains two electric motor/generators and a permanent sun and planetary gear arrangement that is also covered for 8 years under the Hybrid Warranty. It is a really good warranty on the Prius Gen 2 as it is purchased in the price of the car (not added on after by Toyota GB as appears to be the case with the later HV Battery warranty on the Gen 3).

On the Prius Gen 3, the hybrid warranty cover sold before the braking disaster was only 3 years, whilst Australia moved from 5 years to 8 years, and I think America stayed at 8 years.

After the braking fiasco, the later Prius Gen 3 were sold with a 5 year Hybrid warranty, but only the HV Battery extended to 8 years because I think it is covered by the Toyota GB, it is cheaper to extend just the HV Battery because historically it has not failed often although on the Gen 3 that is yet to be proven.

After the braking fiasco, the later Prius Gen 3 were sold with a 5 year Hybrid warranty, but only the HV battery extended to 8 years because I think it is covered by the Toyota GB, it is cheaper to extend just the HV battery because historically it has not failed often although on the Gen 3 that is yet to be proven.

I'll be letting you all know what my Battery condition is once I get the HV Battery check up. My gut feeling is it's on its last legs with probably one or two cells on their way out, BUT I could be proved wrong. Will be interesting to see.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links