Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Find Me An Auris Hybrid!

Wayne2015

IMG_20150923_165220_zps8ntgjzoa.jpg

My local National Tyres branch just confirmed my 4 Michelin CrossClimate are here! WHOOPEE! :) :) :)

Booked in for 2:30pm ;)

What's these items 1 and 2 all about, undertrays and covers fitted obscuring some components? Assuming they are standard fit, Is this something they ding all Hybrids for?

That is nothing to worry about, it is a standard "check box" by VOSA. The idea is that on cars with covers on the underside, it is a kind of disclaimer. It means the covers are in place and have not been removed to inspect the conditions of components underneath. Nothing to do with Hybrids, it is standard jargon, don't worry about it

• Like 1

IMG_20150923_165220_zps8ntgjzoa.jpg

My local National Tyres branch just confirmed my 4 Michelin CrossClimate are here! WHOOPEE! :) :) :)

Booked in for 2:30pm ;)

What's these items 1 and 2 all about, undertrays and covers fitted obscuring some components? Assuming they are standard fit, Is this something they ding all Hybrids for?

Yes nothing to worry about as Parts-King said.

Just make sure:

1. It s an OEM cover (not an additional cover trying to hide things)

2. Nothing is leaking onto under-tray (if u can see it)

At National now

BIG queue! Eeeek! :( :( :(

Had trouble getting my car on ramp (not enough power!) - as staff there was nervous driving a hybrid onto the ramp!

On standard tyres (215/45 17) its 33psi front and 32 back

For NEW all seasons (225/45 17) what shall I put in????

Garage greeeeeaat!

Me: "can u make sure u use a torque wrench to tighten bolts?

Garage: " we ONLY use a torque wrench !" :)

BEFORE (Michelin Primacy 215/45 17)

IMG_20150924_140259_zpsaqi7fubp.jpg

IMG_20150924_140324_zpshu8garr2.jpg

IMG_20150924_140240_zpslrnl3mqd.jpg

AFTER (Michelin CrossClimate 225/45 17)

IMG_20150924_151841_zps7dbl9qjx.jpg

IMG_20150924_151922_zpsioegb9is.jpg

IMG_20150924_151903_zps3slo90ub.jpg

I always replace my remote Battery on a new car..

IMG_20150924_184028_zpsqltmlqfg.jpg
Clever HIDDEN master key :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
IMG_20150924_184055_zpsznci5wtw.jpg
IMG_20150924_184131_zpsyistsvbj.jpg

Can you let us all know how you like the cross-climate all weather tyres....noise, mpg, grip etc. The reviews say they perform better in the wet and obviously snow.

Can you let us all know how you like the cross-climate all weather tyres....noise, mpg, grip etc. The reviews say they perform better in the wet and obviously snow.

I will try!

As now I REALLY drive like an OAP - so hard to give an opinion :( :( :(

On the 6 miles drive home - I can only say (but I could be wrong):

1. They drove very solidly (not like spongy winter tyres - which I used to have on in winter when the temp rose)

2. Road noise - not sure, excellent? As all I hear is the car engine (though I have not driven it over 45mph yet)

3. Looks ok from outside (as opposed to winter tyres with a squashed look) - but these are summer tyres first and winter tyres 2nd (and lower profile at 45)

4. Fuel economy - no idea, as not had the car long to even work out the old tyres!

5. Wear - no idea too :laughing:

Friend found me this (writer had same 17" michelin premacy OLD tyres as me :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: )

HOPE its not too SMALL / BLUR to read ...

.test8_zps6macbzmv.jpg

CROSSCLIMATE%2034.jpg

OK Wayne I see your tyres don’t have rim protectors on them, I thought Michelin had protector beads on anything less than 55’s. As for pressures I’d imagine you should just stick with what Toyota recommends. What ;pressure did the tyre place put them up to?

But the thing I’m really surprised about is they look so messy with all that tyre soap left on them, it looks terrible. Don’t these guys have any pride in their workmanship? You’ve just spent the better part of £400 on these tyres and they leave them looking like that. Get back down there in the morning and tell them to get them washed clean – or else. Tell them there’s a crazy geezer on the internet says he’ll send down his grandkids to put their windows in if they don’t.

About this torquing up the wheel nuts, you need to go round them yourself and make sure you can slacken them with your wheel nut wrench (but don’t forget to re-tighten them lol). I get on their case about this too, I stand at the observation window and watch them like a hawk. I’d be out in the workshop but they always pull this Health and Safety thing plus the company insurance doesn’t allow it etc. It’s not that I don’t trust them, I’m just doing what every customer is entitled to do – trust and verify.
  • Like 1

OK Wayne I see your tyres don’t have rim protectors on them, I thought Michelin had protector beads on anything less than 55’s. As for pressures I’d imagine you should just stick with what Toyota recommends. What ;pressure did the tyre place put them up to?
But the thing I’m really surprised about is they look so messy with all that tyre soap left on them, it looks terrible. Don’t these guys have any pride in their workmanship? You’ve just spent the better part of £400 on these tyres and they leave them looking like that. Get back down there in the morning and tell them to get them washed clean – or else. Tell them there’s a crazy geezer on the internet says he’ll send down his grandkids to put their windows in if they don’t.
About this torquing up the wheel nuts, you need to go round them yourself and make sure you can slacken them with your wheel nut wrench (but don’t forget to re-tighten them lol). I get on their case about this too, I stand at the observation window and watch them like a hawk. I’d be out in the workshop but they always pull this Health and Safety thing plus the company insurance doesn’t allow it etc. It’s not that I don’t trust them, I’m just doing what every customer is entitled to do – trust and verify.

LOL

To be honest I only come across 3rd party rim protectors about a year ago - think they were called Alligator Protector or something - looks nice on a sporty car with colourful rim protectors :)

But never gave them a second thought until searching for new tyres for my Auris and saw a few retailers stating "Tyres include Rim Protectors"

So, what are they, really?

A third party piece of plastic that goes between the edge of the tyre and the rims?

Or just tyres that over-hang on the edges to protect the rims?

After a flat in my Skoda 2 years ago (EXACTLY the same problem as my Auris - old/worn/splitting inside of the tyres so u don't even know about it) - I had to call the AA out to change the wheel as I couldn't get the darn nuts off!

AA: "THIS is what u need!"

And he show me a great big shiny - er,NO Tom, not what u thinking! - 3 foot breaker bar! :D :P

Since then, I always kept one in my boot.

They came handy when I had a flat on the Auris on Monday :)

Wheel was stuck to the hub like super glue - and I had to kick it so hard for what like seems forever - passerby and drivers were thinking "this guy must had a REAL bad day kicking his wheel at the side of the road and still in his shirt and tie!" :lol::lol::lol:

Yes

Usually a new tyre means a nice ROUND mess of glue/sealant around the rims/tyre edge - this time was a mess I must agree with u there Tom!

Sigh what can I do, the place was REAL busy and the roads was busy too and I had to rush back for the school run :(

Besides the staff were real pleasant and KEPT to their booking time (even though they were real busy)!

staff: "Sir, sorry to keep u waiting"

"Sir, sorry but do u know u have different spec new tyres?"

"Sir, sorry to bother u again, what tyre pressure would u like?"

Me: "33f + 32r according to spec, but happy with 33 all round, what do u think?"

Staff: "Says 33 on my chart :)!"

Taking my car to my local garage for a tracking/alignment tomorrow - as I do not trust National, but to be honest not been back to National for years and today I was quite impressed:)

Cheers Tom for your advice, comments, personal thoughts, hilarious comments and offer of loan for your grandkids for a day trip down south - but I think I should be ok :) :) :)

PS: U replied my PM yet?

the rim protectors I'm thinking about are beads that are moulded into the tyre itself, they're real handy for women drivers and the like. I've only seen the seperate ones advertised and I'd think they'd look real tatty in short order.

Breaker bar in boot - yes, definitely. Ditto for 14lb sledge hammer to seperate alloy wheel stuck onto hub because of dissimilar metal corrosion. NOT recommended while someone is underneath the car, however, especially if that someone is ME.

Did you see what parts king said about the protector plates underneath? that they're OK and the Adv doesn't mean anything. I know a guy who's fixing up an old Corsa for his son once he passes his test and he's getting it ready for its MOT. He was telling me the back brake pipies look as if they're getting a bit aerreated and I could sense a "Can you help me out with this" coming in my direction so now I can tell him just to get a big sheet of corrugated iron and pop rivet and self tapper it onto the floor to cover up all the pipes. He'll need to cover it in underseal and throw dirt and sand over it to look like it's been there a while but he should get it through all right. What do you think?

the rim protectors I'm thinking about are beads that are moulded into the tyre itself, they're real handy for women drivers and the like. I've only seen the seperate ones advertised and I'd think they'd look real tatty in short order.

Breaker bar in boot - yes, definitely. Ditto for 14lb sledge hammer to seperate alloy wheel stuck onto hub because of dissimilar metal corrosion. NOT recommended while someone is underneath the car, however, especially if that someone is ME.

Did you see what parts king said about the protector plates underneath? that they're OK and the Adv doesn't mean anything. I know a guy who's fixing up an old Corsa for his son once he passes his test and he's getting it ready for its MOT. He was telling me the back brake pipies look as if they're getting a bit aerreated and I could sense a "Can you help me out with this" coming in my direction so now I can tell him just to get a big sheet of corrugated iron and pop rivet and self tapper it onto the floor to cover up all the pipes. He'll need to cover it in underseal and throw dirt and sand over it to look like it's been there a while but he should get it through all right. What do you think?

I see

The famous Dunlop F1 Eagle wheel protector comes to mind then ref rim protectors

Yes - I heard those under trays are a nightmare and POTENTIAL hazard (or costly to a car buyer) as most corroded brake pipes would also be hidden from sight (as I had a few old cars before and corroded brake pipes are very very common after just a few years) - what do I think? U are dodgy character, matey! :lol::lol::lol:

It is a speed camera warning. It does it even when the sat nav is turned off.

The setting is buried deep in the settings of the touch 2 go. Took me ages to find it.

Checked it today with satnav on - yes deffo the speed camera warning (as there is a speed camera icon when it detects one).

But speed camera map is deffo out of date!

What's interesting, without a destination set in satnav - the double-beep still goes off if there is a camera a couple of hundred yards away around the corner, down the road, hidden away from sight (NOT even on the same road!) :eek:

As when bought the Auris - all 4 tyres completely worned and all 4 alloys bashed - I thought I do the 4 wheel alignment ...

IMG_20150925_143141_zpsxxrs8mup.jpg
IMG_20150925_143309_zpsoyhzzanf.jpg
IMG_20150925_143812_zpsl1ypupid.jpg
IMG_20150925_143819_zpsw6y7qrwt.jpg
IMG_20150925_143838_zpsk2w0bvp1.jpg
IMG_20150925_143901_zps9atoau44.jpg
THAT piece of silver foil plate (middle right) was loose - one of the push-fits was missing - so got garage to fix with a cable-tie :thumbsup:
IMG_20150925_143938_zpsotadow4p.jpg
IMG_20150925_145233_zpscibfqybr.jpg

Just booked in at the local Toyota Dealership:

1. Recall: Update ECU - Even though my car was serviced in June 2015 - Dealer said only NOW can they do the recall work

2. FREE Tyre Check :)

3. FREE Winter Check :)

4. Full Air Con service £59 (or re-gas + decontaminated £29)

:driving::yahoo::band:

Hey Wayne, couldn’t you have gotten a discount for your tyres through the club membership?

I was going to say I liked the pics of the old girl with her skirts raised but it sounded a bit Clinton-esque so I’ll just say those Michelins look the business. Your car looks OK underneath, no damage or anything hanging off and I see the covers they were talking about on the MOT.

I also see the torsion tube rear suspension, bit different from my last Auris which had torsion box set up. That guy who owns the place is pretty good letting you in about it to photo everything.

Did he find anything wrong with the front wheel alignment? Were any of your wheels damaged on the inner rims? I guess the 4 wheel bit was just to check the rears ‘cos I don’t think there’s any adjustment of rear tracking etc possible.

I also noticed you have the 94W rating on your tyres, I dropped mine to 92W rating because I found the ride was a bit stiff (boy I’m having my Clinton-Freudian slips today).

Hey Wayne, couldn’t you have gotten a discount for your tyres through the club membership?
I was going to say I liked the pics of the old girl with her skirts raised but it sounded a bit Clinton-esque so I’ll just say those Michelins look the business. Your car looks OK underneath, no damage or anything hanging off and I see the covers they were talking about on the MOT.
I also see the torsion tube rear suspension, bit different from my last Auris which had torsion box set up. That guy who owns the place is pretty good letting you in about it to photo everything.
Did he find anything wrong with the front wheel alignment? Were any of your wheels damaged on the inner rims? I guess the 4 wheel bit was just to check the rears ‘cos I don’t think there’s any adjustment of rear tracking etc possible.
I also noticed you have the 94W rating on your tyres, I dropped mine to 92W rating because I found the ride was a bit stiff (boy I’m having my Clinton-Freudian slips today).

Cheers Tom :)

YES I did and NO!

FAO: Frosty - Is it ok for me to comment???? :meet:

What's Torsion rear suspension thingy???

Darn - forgot to check inner rims :(

Wheel alignment was almost spot-on just a little out - I only did it coz thought they might be out due to the wheels being bashed.

Having said that, garage used a old fashion light alignment setup (not as accurate as one of those technical jobbies - but more pricey) :crazy:

U can adjust front and back (I also thought same as u thinking FRONT wheel drive cars ONLY need front alignment...)

ONLY got XL and the 225 tyres coz Michelin only did these sizes (that I can find) and the tyre seller only had the 94 XL.

yes, I agreed they are stiff (but not sure if its the tyres or the suspension) - but I prefer that (rather than spongy winter tyres :lol: :D )

Friendly with the garage - proper garage lads with naked calender pics..

me: Taking pics under car

them: What the f@*k u doing, u not insured under there! :crutchy: :yahoo:

What do you mean old fashioned light alignment? Surely you mean Advanced Laser Projection Equipment that gives Precision Alignment. I remember when we did it with trammel gauges that trailed along the concrete with spring loaded pointers that never gave two consecutive readings that were anything like each other – and still drivers would say “That’s a lot better now”..

PS No ye canny reply about Clinton, I push the boundaries and if you try and respond ye’ll get chucked off. Tuff luck

PSS Yo, we’re up to 13 pages now!

• Like 1

Oh and by the way Frosters, can ye no' simplify this board a bit so that I can put multiple pictures (or at least two) oin the one reply with a space and some text in between?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links