Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My new toy is here!

Andy P

On 8/6/2020 at 9:07 AM, AndrueC said:

One thing about the accelerator indicator though: Don't bother trying to follow the blue acceleration advice line. It seems inconsistent and often wants you to accelerate so slowly that you'll die of old age before reaching your target speed. When I accelerate I push the accelerator to get the active line up to just before the PWR zone. That seems ample in 99% of cases.

I had wondered what the blue line was. I thought it was a bad thing and just focussed on the green only 

On 9/18/2020 at 12:50 PM, Roy124 said:

I am learning to use the B mode to control my speed on downhill sections.  The car will accelerate under EV mode requiring me to brake to control the descent.  By selecting B mode the car will use conventional engine braking.  They do say take it out of B mode as soon as you can as it will worsen the consumption on the flat.

What is ‘B mode’? Does my 2.0 Excel have it?

On 7/30/2020 at 7:30 PM, Timmon said:

My number one tip is don't use Eco mode on the open road. Only when stuck in traffic or crawling around town. On the open road stick to Normal mode, use Sport to overtake if you need to.Eco mode on the open road will eat through your fuel on the 2.0 ltr.

You should be getting more than 44 mpg, but it will be 6,000 miles before you start to see the best economy, and during the warm weather. You can have a look at My T for advice as well, but it is only a guide as My T assumes you are the only other driver on the road!

Interesting. I have left mine permanently in ECO mode since I bought it, and 90% of my driving is motorway. 

Please educate me on why ECO mode is bad in this scenario? I simply presume ECO mode just was a modulated the acceleration etc more gently but didn’t have any impact on motorway cruising. 

I drive *so* carefully and am so mindful of the green eco status bar yet I only manage 48.1mpg average so far. I put this down to it being cold and the heating always on. I think it will improve in spring / Summer.

I must confess, I havent really ‘put my foot down’ once yet! So I don’t really know how powerful this 2.0L engine can be?

many thanks!

• Like 2

AKLZ - I with you on this one. There is nothing wrong driving in Eco mode. It all depends what you want the car to do. Some still want very brisk acceleration like they had with their previous petrol/diesel only engines (then a lot grumble about under achieving fuel consumption in their hybrid. Others prefer to maximise fuel consumption but still have the option to use normal or power modes. I am happy cruising on m-way at 65mph, but if I find myself in a jungle of cars, but see open space ahead, I can just press a button (if I need to) and leave the jungle behind. I can do this in eco mode too, it all depends on circumstances. Summer, this year, I chose to go normal  as the usual setting, but that was my choice. I don’t see mpg going bad when I am in Eco mode, just a different driving experience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, AKLZ said:

What is ‘B mode’? Does my 2.0 Excel have it?

B mode is engine braking to keep speed study when going downhill to reduce brake use and prevent brake fading plus recharge the hybrid Battery. Not recommended to use on speeds over 62mph and for extended period of time., it reduces the overall efficiency of the car and stresses the system unnecessarily. 
For Eco mode you can read all posts here : I have two of the explaining why is better to keep the car in normal mode instead, efficiency won’t be affected once you have learned how to drive a hybrid. Also I recommend to you to read and follow all Auris hybrid and Prius posts because your Corolla is basically the same car as these two with very little difference but works the same way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, AKLZ said:

Interesting. I have left mine permanently in ECO mode since I bought it, and 90% of my driving is motorway. 

Please educate me on why ECO mode is bad in this scenario? I simply presume ECO mode just was a modulated the acceleration etc more gently but didn’t have any impact on motorway cruising. 

I drive *so* carefully and am so mindful of the green eco status bar yet I only manage 48.1mpg average so far. I put this down to it being cold and the heating always on. I think it will improve in spring / Summer.

I must confess, I havent really ‘put my foot down’ once yet! So I don’t really know how powerful this 2.0L engine can be?

many thanks!

I have found that Eco mode eats the fuel on the open road, probably because you need to get away from junctions , roundabouts etc. Other users confirmed this. you are right, things like Air Con are suppressed and the ICE power is reduced. Some owners complained about poor mpg, and found when Eco mode is not used on the open road it improved. I think Eco Mode is better in traffic and around town because of the reduced power available from the ICE, and the way the hybrid system is set up for eco mode. So my personal rule is Eco mode in town, Normal mode all other times (which is mainly for me as I don't travel in town much, and I live in hilly rural area where you need power on hills and dual carriage way) and Sport for those odd moments when you need to pass a lorry safely. It works for me, I get 44 mpg in Eco mode, 52 plus in Normal mode. In town on Eco when I have tried it, I got 96 once! 

I don't think it is an accident that the car reverts to normal mode whenever you power it up.

I don't put my foot down either, but I don't hold people up on the motorway slip road either! I don't speed, but I do 70 on the motorway, I just drive normally, and let the Audi's and BMW's have the outside lane to themselves. Seems to work for me, And I never have cause to query my mpg, very pleased with the car. Having said that, I don't do much motorway cruising these days, so your driving conditions may suit Eco mode.

Try it and see what you think, I would be very interested to see if your experience is the same as mine. I will be surprised if your mpg does not improve from 48.1 mpg. I save a packet on what I used to spend on fuel for my last 2 ltr car, so I am more than happy.

16 hours ago, AKLZ said:

You can buy this!

One side-effect of the pandemic has been that due to reduced use the new car smell has come back to my Corolla. Not as strong of course but there's a noticeable whiff when get inside 🙂

I've also noticed that since I no longer have to commute (another benefit of the pandemic) my winter fuel consumption hasn't increased as much. As well as not commuting I'm not driving the car in inclement conditions very often (I only drive to get to golf courses, lol). At the moment the car is bouncing between 59 and 60 according to the dash. If I ever get to drive far enough to use a tank of petrol I'll try and remember to post the actual figure, lol.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

One side-effect of the pandemic has been that due to reduced use the new car smell has come back to my Corolla. Not as strong of course but there's a noticeable whiff when get inside 🙂

I noticed this too, but thought it was my after shave!  I have just achieved 8900 miles in 19 months! Before the pandemic, I was beefing about agreeing to a PCP agreement tying me to 8000 a year, and working out how much penalty I would pay at the end of the agreement due to running over my allotted mileage allowance! Instead, I have not even reached an annual service mileage yet, although the car was serviced in June of course.  Weird times.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think I'm at nearly 13k after 22 months. Given the current situation it will probably be 13k after 24 months. 500 miles a month average. Crazy low.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lockdown again, my car either is crying or it’s happiest in the world, from 220+ miles average  a day before down to 0 miles now,... only keep it in Ready mode twice a week as still on its original 12v Battery after 10 years and I don’t want to take a risk off killing it just now. I want to see how much can Toyota hybrid last when used properly without abuse but little bit more than usual. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AndrueC said:

I think I'm at nearly 13k after 22 months. Given the current situation it will probably be 13k after 24 months. 500 miles a month average. Crazy low.

Yes. I guess there will be some fine low mileage second hand cars around in the 12 - 24 month bracket. No need to look for an ex demonstration model. It is good to go for a drive (when allowed) to practice Hybrid driving skills, as there is less traffic up your ****. I have achieved some of the best mpg results this last 9 months, as you can drive more smoothly.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Timmon said:

Yes. I guess there will be some fine low mileage second hand cars around in the 12 - 24 month bracket. No need to look for an ex demonstration model. It is good to go for a drive (when allowed) to practice Hybrid driving skills, as there is less traffic up your ****. I have achieved some of the best mpg results this last 9 months, as you can drive more smoothly.

Driving in town after midnight or early morning, mpg is rocketing up even in the cold winter nights .  Easily achieve manufacturers numbers or even better. 👍

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Lockdown again, my car either is crying or it’s happiest in the world, from 220+ miles average  a day before down to 0 miles now,... only keep it in Ready mode twice a week as still on its original 12v battery after 10 years and I don’t want to take a risk off killing it just now. I want to see how much can Toyota hybrid last when used properly without abuse but little bit more than usual. 

That's a good age for a 12 volt Battery, well done! My worst record was 12 months in my last car, but it was a Halfords Battery! Never again. My SAAB seemed to be very hard on batteries. I used to use a trickle charger a lot in winter, with Battery conditioning function, and that helped. Not wanting to tempt fate, but despite low usage, the Corolla battery has been very good so far. Ready mode seems to keep it charged OK. Seems the Hybrid batteries are pretty robust, if looked after and checked by the dealer.

• Like 1

Just started now and left it ON for a 45 min run, watching through the window and drinking afternoon coffee, key fob inside and car is locked with the service key. Engine will probably run for the entire time as I left climate control on set at 21C°, will take it for a short run around to clean the brakes a bit too. Recommend to all hybrid owners do the same today or tomorrow as the next few nights are going to be well below 0C° 👍🚗

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Just started now and left it ON for a 45 min run, watching through the window and drinking afternoon coffee, key fob inside and car is locked with the service key. Engine will probably run for the entire time as I left climate control on set at 21C°, will take it for a short run around to clean the brakes a bit too. Recommend to all hybrid owners do the same today or tomorrow as the next few nights are going to be well below 0C° 👍🚗

Tony, treat yourself (and your car) to an CTEC MCS 5.0 Battery charger - keeps the Battery topped up, and can condition older batteries too. I used ours on my 10yo Auris Battery, and my wife’s Yaris 1.33. You really notice how eager the car starts with a fully charged battery! 

• Like 1

No B mode on the 2.0 Hybrid, the B mode is intended to offer some additional engine braking on the 1.8 and is useful in long down hill driving to reduce wear/heat in brakes. The 2.0 has S mode which allows the driver to "change gear" either up/down and the change down replicates the B mode on 1.8 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Gray86 said:

Tony, treat yourself (and your car) to an CTEC MCS 5.0 battery charger - keeps the battery topped up, and can condition older batteries too. I used ours on my 10yo Auris battery, and my wife’s Yaris 1.33. You really notice how eager the car starts with a fully charged battery! 

What , on a Toyota hybrid?

13 hours ago, Gray86 said:

Tony, treat yourself (and your car) to an CTEC MCS 5.0 battery charger - keeps the battery topped up, and can condition older batteries too. I used ours on my 10yo Auris battery, and my wife’s Yaris 1.33. You really notice how eager the car starts with a fully charged battery! 

Thanks for your advice, I was thinking about before but because when I use my car out of lockdown I use it properly every day for long hours and will not need a charger until Battery gets very old and tired then a new Battery will be the sensible option. I will keep the car in ready mode twice a week for the general health of all systems for now and we will see what happens in the future, might get one. 👍🙂🚗

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Catlover said:

What , on a Toyota hybrid?

Well, on the Yaris at least! On the hybrid it’s just peace of mind - not quite as tangible though! 

Graeme, from other posts on using CTEC Battery chargers is that they charge very slowly and that suits 12v car batteries on Toyota hybrids.

I leave mine in  eco mode, and the type of work I do often involves 100+ mile motorway runs, prior to the cooler weather I was very easily getting around 64mpg from my 2.0 TS.

Interesting point on the modes, but since I seem to be exceeding the economy others are reporting,  I'll be sticking to it, once over this wonderful sars-cov-2 infection I currently have! 😉

• Like 2

Hi Ian, sorry to hear of you problem. Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

1 hour ago, frizzbee30 said:

I leave mine in  eco mode, and the type of work I do often involves 100+ mile motorway runs, prior to the cooler weather I was very easily getting around 64mpg from my 2.0 TS.

Interesting point on the modes, but since I seem to be exceeding the economy others are reporting,  I'll be sticking to it, once over this wonderful sars-cov-2 infection I currently have! 😉

Quick recovery 👍 I had it last February and I know it’s a bad one indeed. Well done for the economy achieved.🚗👌

14 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

No B mode on the 2.0 Hybrid, the B mode is intended to offer some additional engine braking on the 1.8 and is useful in long down hill driving to reduce wear/heat in brakes. The 2.0 has S mode which allows the driver to "change gear" either up/down and the change down replicates the B mode on 1.8 

Brilliant; thanks!

Regarding ECO mode; I took it out of ECO mode for the first time since buying it (once selected it stayed in ECO mode even after over night being off - someone above mentioned theirs 'reset' to normal mode when engine cycled off/on) , and boy - what a difference! It's like driving a different car!!

• Thanks 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links