Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Catalytic Converter Theft Solutions - Catloc, etc

citycash

I think we all should buy extra insurance that cover catalytic converter.  For me it is about additional €100 per year.  It also cover natural disaster like hails, deer, or riots.   if your is already stolen and need replacement, get the aftermarket for the rear catalytic converter and they work just fine just to pass MOT but for the main catalytic converter, only the OEM original Toyota will work well for many years. 

But these parts sells as one peace only, the cat, second cat (gpf), middle silencer. Best to buy original Toyota including new fixing bolts and gaskets, and new oem sensors. Total cost is high over £1200 and that’s why best to let insurance deal with, this is why we pay insurance in first place. On next renewal just go to another company and the premium won’t be too much more expensive. 

• Thanks 1

Ah Ok, you are right. The OEM version is one peace.  Only some garage or muffler shop can really fit generic 2nd/rear catalytic converter and do some custom fits.  Generally speaking, if it fits right and catalytic converter are both installed (front and rear), there is no reason MOT will fail.  They only check with OBD2 scanner if all in closed loop and the reading from O2 sensors are good. There is no standard requirement that we must have Toyota exhaust parts.  I think if the front one still there, we can put the rear one aftermarket and weld it properly. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AisinW said:

Ah Ok, you are right. The OEM version is one peace.  Only some garage or muffler shop can really fit generic 2nd/rear catalytic converter and do some custom fits.  Generally speaking, if it fits right and catalytic converter are both installed (front and rear), there is no reason MOT will fail.  They only check with OBD2 scanner if all in closed loop and the reading from O2 sensors are good. There is no standard requirement that we must have Toyota exhaust parts.  I think if the front one still there, we can put the rear one aftermarket and weld it properly. 

In uk mot test skip on emissions for Toyota hybrids gen 3, I am not sure why but never had any information about emissions results, just says pass. Perhaps because they don’t know how to set the car in maintenance mode or does not want to bother, but all mot centres does the same., means it’s an instruction from dvsa rather than exception. Also on car documents v5c doesn’t says what euro is classed as, 4 or 5 or whatever. Understood that from next year the rules are changing and there will be a road tax of £20 per year, been £0 since the car was first registered in 2010. 
Cat easily can be faked with Toyota hybrids as long as there is something bigger diameter than the exhaust pipes and some O2 sensors fitted and no engine management lights on will be ok imo. , however the car may not be as efficient as is with all original components. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good news.  I will just simply put a generic catalytic converter on the rear cat since UK recycling system allowed scraper deposit catalytic converter without any proof of ownership of the car, etc.  The only way to stop this catalytic converter theft is strick regulating of scrapper and recycling companies.  At least that is how it works in Germany and the theft cases number is much lower than UK or Italy.  We also have plenty of Police Razia/operations to crackdown the Catalytic converter mafia that often working with mafia in the neighboring countries.   

• Like 3

On 12/16/2022 at 8:24 AM, Claudius86 said:

Hi,

I have an Auris 2014 in Sweden and recently the catalytic is stolen, kindly  can someone advice me with shields protection or any suggested protection as well I am thinking to have an alarm system , the car now in Toyota under the service and waiting for the catalytic to come,Note the driver side is on the left.

Guys I really need your suggestions and recommendations .

thank you all,  Claudius

Hi, I use this plate

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284139255197?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=58zWZ8UxSwu&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=p34UK1z2T4m&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

installed by myself as diy project back in 2020 and also secured with these bolts 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165308864129?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=IA78k8v5TNW&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=p34UK1z2T4m&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Since then I haven’t got any problems but that’s doesn’t mean that anyone has tried, probably been lucky no thieves were around and hopefully they won’t stop by. Also I removed the hybrid badges so the car is less recognised as hybrid. There are many posts with pictures and how to do if you interested. If no cat lock available from your Toyota local garage you can by these parts from eBay and ask them to fit for you. 
Good luck 👍

F860FF36-7464-4CCE-B344-3710A240602C.jpeg

78F1F162-E750-4A01-827B-2F50D83B1196.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Evening to everyone,

Last night or two nights ago, I had my catalytic converter stolen from my Auris Hybrid 2016. The car was parked in front of my block of flats for the past two days, and I have only noticed this morning, when I wanted to drive my wife to work. Oddly, having seen the wheels turned to the left, and then confirmed by the loud noise.

It has left us both upset and emotional.

Unfortunately, I had no plate or any other deterrent. The flat is isolated from the main roads, and the car park is not visible from the main road or the local streets. The only people walking around the car park being the residents, sometimes some relatives of the neighbours and most of the time, the delivery drivers. My thoughts is that these delivery drivers may have different links to these people that are committing these victimless crimes.

Being a little remote location, I never felt that having a plate would really help me because I felt that is unlikely to draw any attention even with a loud noise in this area. I asked a neighbour if their CCTV caught something, but apparently nothing. I have another neighbour to ask but at the moment they are away. Despite this, I have to admit that I am feeling upset on myself for not actually putting one. Maybe it may have changed something in a positive way.

Meanwhile, I have reported this morning to the police. Like many other people that have experienced this, I have only received a crime reference number. Now, I am considering the next steps.

I want to put an original part back. Looking at this sub, I have noticed that not everyone had a good experience. However, this makes me feel vulnerable, as I may be targeted again. I am now thinking of additional items to make it safer.

My location is Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire. If you are from around, you may want to be more alert if you find yourself as a potential victim. It is an unpleasant feeling when you're finding this out.

• Sad 6

Need to put a catlock in place and de-badged the hybrid badges. Cat lock is circa 250 part and labour from a dealer. Or buy one from eBay and get a mechanic to fix it - cheaper option. Tony and others can advise and show you photos. 

I don't think it's related to delivery drivers or anything like that, they seem to just be driving around and randomly targeting vehicles. The theft is so quick (Literally minutes) that I don't think they plan, just be opportunistic.

The reason the catlocs have been effective is there are still loads of unprotected cars so they have no need to waste more time trying to get round it.

Your insurance should cover replacement and provide a courtesy car for the duration, and Toyota have plenty of them in stock now so your car shouldn't be out of action too long.

If you have a good insurer, see if they'll pay for the catloc to be fitted, or at least share some of the cost.

• Like 2

I am in the UK.

My Cat was stolen.

I insisted that my insurance company, allow Toyota UK to do the repair/replacement.

Included in the quote from Toyota (to the insurance company), was a 'Catloc' Guard Plate + Official Toyota 'Tilt' Alarm. Which, the insurance company ultimately accepted as part of the repair.

Note: Any 'plate type' guard is not a guaranteed defence. It simply adds to the time it takes, to eventually reach the cat. Thieves are prepared for plate type defences now. It's just quicker to go for a car without one. 

The tilt alarm, DOES attract a lot of attention when set-off, so is a reasonable deterrent. Put them together (Tilt + Plate) - your car will (most likely) be skipped.

I've genuinely come to the conclusion, it is better to sell a toyota with an easy-reach cat, and buy one - where the cat is difficult to access.

The jump in insurance renewal costs - led me to this conclusion. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Do NOT ask you wife to sleep in the CAR.

It will not go down well.

TRUST ME...

Don't even suggest it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Catlock is a must in UK and USA.  Too many criminals too few regulations.  American sometimes can defense themselves and shot dead the thieves on the spot.  One of the case the owner throw the thieves to the garbage dumpster as it is supposed  to be. 

Good luck guys, put a Catlock or something similar, and buy extra insurance to cover such theft. 

• Like 4

Thank you guys. I will consider the advice. 

I will try to keep you posted!

Which one would be a car where the cat is more difficult to access?

On 12/16/2022 at 4:56 PM, TonyHSD said:

Hi, I use this plate

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284139255197?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=58zWZ8UxSwu&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=p34UK1z2T4m&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

installed by myself as diy project back in 2020 and also secured with these bolts 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165308864129?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=IA78k8v5TNW&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=p34UK1z2T4m&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Since then I haven’t got any problems but that’s doesn’t mean that anyone has tried, probably been lucky no thieves were around and hopefully they won’t stop by. Also I removed the hybrid badges so the car is less recognised as hybrid. There are many posts with pictures and how to do if you interested. If no cat lock available from your Toyota local garage you can by these parts from eBay and ask them to fit for you. 
Good luck 👍

F860FF36-7464-4CCE-B344-3710A240602C.jpeg

78F1F162-E750-4A01-827B-2F50D83B1196.jpeg

Thank you so much tony for your advices and support,, appreciated I will do the same for mine.

thanks again

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Claudius86 said:

Thank you so much tony for your advices and support,, appreciated I will do the same for mine.

thanks again

You are welcome 👍

On 12/21/2022 at 9:46 PM, Kojac said:

I am in the UK.

My Cat was stolen.

I insisted that my insurance company, allow Toyota UK to do the repair/replacement.

Included in the quote from Toyota (to the insurance company), was a 'Catloc' Guard Plate + Official Toyota 'Tilt' Alarm. Which, the insurance company ultimately accepted as part of the repair.

Note: Any 'plate type' guard is not a guaranteed defence. It simply adds to the time it takes, to eventually reach the cat. Thieves are prepared for plate type defences now. It's just quicker to go for a car without one. 

The tilt alarm, DOES attract a lot of attention when set-off, so is a reasonable deterrent. Put them together (Tilt + Plate) - your car will (most likely) be skipped.

I've genuinely come to the conclusion, it is better to sell a toyota with an easy-reach cat, and buy one - where the cat is difficult to access.

Hi,

the Toyota here in Sweden that cannot do much ,the alarm is not helping as they said. And I need to pay for it 900 euro , so I will install the metal protection  for now .

• Like 1

I considered all options but at this point I bought part/coverage car insurance (basic 1/2 + natural disaster coverage).  Fortunately, it is only 30% more than basic coverage. It covers theft, fire, tree falls, wildlife, riots, etc.  It cost about $100 more for 1 year.  I think for most people, CATLOCK installations is still the best solution. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kojac said:

I am in the UK.

My Cat was stolen.

These people are vile. A few years ago i seriously considered getting the auris excel 2015, until I read the horror stories of cat theft. 

3 hours ago, alex_alexs28 said:

Which one would be a car where the cat is more difficult to access?

Yaris and corolla cats are at the manifold. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

These people are vile. A few years ago i seriously considered getting the auris excel 2015, until I read the horror stories of cat theft. 

Yaris and corolla cats are at the manifold. 

Where it is in C-HR?

9 minutes ago, Spo2 said:

Where it is in C-HR?

Higher up like Yaris and Corolla. The worst affected cars are Auris gen 2 and gen 1, all Prius up to gen 3, plus, and Lexus CT200h 

Prius gen4, chr, Corolla, Yaris are safer bet, although some got targeted by stupid thieves and gpf taken instead of catalytic converters but the damage caused is the same, so basically no one is 100% secured. Recent thefts show not only hybrids been done but also standard petrol 1.6 Auris. 1.33 or 1.2t are save. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It seems like Toyota put more precious metals than other brands in their Catalytic converter.  I know that stealing catalytic converter from other brands are as easy as Toyota.

• Like 2

That is true generally of older cars, relatively speaking, as newer ones have more efficient cats which use less of those metals (Which is desirable for the manufacturer because they save a load of money!)

The main reason hybrids are targeted is their engines have a lower duty-cycle, so the cats tend to be less degraded than normal petrol engines. That's partly why diesels aren't targeted (Also they don't have the money metal, rhodium, but do have a lot of very fine soot...)

In the past, cars with higher ground clearance tended to be targeted as it was easier to get at them; The Auris needs a low-profile jack as the sills make it difficult to get a normal jack under it.

• Like 2

Think to be sure, I might have to park car between two rather close walls so that no one can enter the car from the sides or use jack to lift up from the sides. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links