Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Hybrid 2020 TNGA - Hybrid System Malfunction

Satsuki

19 hours ago, ZdenieCzech said:

Alright.. So, the solution of my problem was main computer unit replacement (apologies for my wording, not sure how is the part called in English). 😁

I wonder what that would have cost had it been out of warranty.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, ZdenieCzech said:

About 1K €...I thought, it could be even more expensive. 😉

That's the only problem with this technology i imagine when it goes wrong its going to be a costly fix fortunately they dont seem to go wrong often.

• Like 4

That's what the warranty is for! :laugh: 

One good thing about the Relax is it does cover most of the expensive drivetrain stuff - It's very unlikely to go wrong, but if it does it is reassuring to know it's covered!

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Cyker said:

That's what the warranty is for!

What about when they are out of warranty  imagine when the car is only worth £1000 and the repair is £900

• Like 2

On 2/10/2023 at 8:41 PM, Max_Headroom said:

What about when they are out of warranty  imagine when the car is only worth £1000 and the repair is £900

A good point, to be fair though, that also applied to things like Cam belt changes in cars that have them. If you get quoted £600 to do the cam belt and water pump change, is it really worth it when the car is only worth fractionally more?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mikw said:

A good point, to be fair though, that also applied to things like Cam belt changes in cars that have them. If you get quoted £600 to do the cam belt and water pump change, is it really worth it when the car is only worth fractionally more?

The difference being you can drive the car with a cam belt that needs changing and hope it doesn't snap you cannot drive the Toyota when the part has stopped working.

• Like 1

In some situations and specific circumstances the car value doesn’t really matter and what matters is the overall condition and life expectancy.
For example a car that is about 10-15 years old, has no rust, in good shape, all functions and accessories are still working and although even at high mileage if any one expensive component fails it does make sense to be replaced ( repaired) and more life taken out of the car. The cost is only what is paid for the repair. Car value doesn’t really matter because the car is old, been paid off long ago but still in use and serve its owners well.
There are plenty of examples on the car care nut channel and amongst us, some guys drive old cars including me. 👍

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Sorry for not being sentimental. It's not a question of repairability but of reliability and dependability. Old cars are good for second cars but when u plan a journey with an old car no matter how much u have spent on repairs and maintenance, u never know when it's going to let you down again and how frequently. Always a new car, if u can afford it. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Nixy said:

Sorry for not being sentimental. It's not a question of repairability but of reliability and dependability. Old cars are good for second cars but when u plan a journey with an old car no matter how much u have spent on repairs and maintenance, u never know when it's going to let you down again and how frequently. Always a new car, if u can afford it. 

My mother has a 2004 Mondeo, the only time the RAC has been called out to it was to change a wheel & that's only because the wheel brace failed.

Timing chain engine & simple bullet proof mechanical bits, I would have no problems doing a long journey in it - apart from I hate driving it.

Friend of mine his mother has a 1999 Toyota Starlet bought from new, that thing is just bullet proof simple - the Toyota main dealer techs loved it when it went in for an airbag recall the other year.

• Like 4

Sorry again but I know someone who smoked 50 sigs a day and lived to 95! 

We are talking probabilities of failures not exceptions to the rules. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Nixy said:

You are right, but this is usually only on paper( theory).  
In real life the things are slightly different and in some cases older cars can outperform and outlast newer models by all means of reliably and dependability. 
I understand the reason N1 for buying and driving a brand new car is less or no problems at all and if anything does happen then to be covered. 
There are two types of cars - pay monthly or big amount of £ or buy used upfront payment and then only if something goes wrong. And perhaps a third one- pay monthly used and keep spending for repairs. 
The worst case scenario is when a reliable and reputable make like Toyota has a brand new models ( pay monthly cars) and on top of that in some cases the owner has troubles and needs to waste time and spend money to fix things.  This is off putting to many owners. 
And there is no guarantee that any ,no exceptions, brand new car will be more reliable than a used equivalent.
All depends first of luck , then how the car been driven and how the car been maintained.  
I had seen recently a lot of food delivery drivers switched to very old Toyota like Corolla, Celica , Yaris made before Y 2000, and those guys drive a lot every day. 

• Like 7

Hi TonyHSD. Your quote...  in some cases... says it all. I would not drive an old car on a winter's night based on the above premise. I am talking from experience, believe me. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Nixy said:

Hi TonyHSD. Your quote...  in some cases... says it all. I would not drive an old car on a winter's night based on the above premise. I am talking from experience, believe me. 

Well, that’s nothing wrong with it and obviously a better option 👍

For me there aren’t old and new, there are fit and not fit for purpose cars and those can be from both sides of the age difference. 

• Like 5

Well I have driven a lot of old cars through a lot of winters, and have faith in them once I get to "know" the car,as it were.

What I mean by this,is once I have driven a car a few hundred miles, and a few weeks, I get the sense of how reliable it's going to be.

Alongside knowing it's history, and type of previous owner.

Of course an old car can let go any time, and so can a lot of newer very expensive cars, which then require very expensive repairs which do not increase the market value, leading to a net loss.

I once set off for Germany in a 16 year old Vauxhall viva HA, it made it there, was used to transport 2 car fulls of bricklayers twice a day over a dirt road for weeks, made it back again and continued to give good service.

Admittedly I was a lot younger then, and more adventurous, so would not have been bothered one bit if I had to scrap the car at any point.

Would a newish range rover from the present day have done that without breaking down I wonder?

• Like 5

To me old or new is no indication of long term reliability - I'd rather take an old Toyota over a new french car, for instance :laugh: 

Like, before I bought my first Yaris, I just assumed having to change things like suspension arms, wheel bearings, bushes, cables, hoses etc. was a normal part of car ownership! And a lot of people still do!

It wasn't until I had the Yaris, which has needed almost nothing major changed on it aside from the clutch (The only other biggish things I did change were the ARB drop links - Upgraded to polybushes, and water pump - Which I only did it as I was getting the Aux belt changed to try and shut it up, and people recommended to change the pump as it wasn't expensive and may as well do it at the same time)), that I had my eyes opened to what a reliable car looks like!

One other big benefit of a used car, at least for me, is I feel less anxious driving them - I've started to get over it with the Mk4 now, but initially I was almost scared to drive it in case something got damaged/scratched etc.. I'm so glad I changed to the steel rims as it would have been even worse with the alloys! :laugh:  ("Oh nooo mustn't kerb them!" *parks 2 metres from the kerb* "Oh nooo potholes!" *slows to 0.5mph and carefully drives round it* etc.)

• Like 5

Couldn’t agree more with the last two posts. 👍👌

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

I once set off for Germany in a 16 year old Vauxhall viva HA, it made it there, was used to transport 2 car fulls of bricklayers twice a day over a dirt road for weeks, made it back again and continued to give good service.

Admittedly I was a lot younger then, and more adventurous, so would not have been bothered one bit if I had to scrap the car at any point.

Just reminds me of Auf Wiedersehen, Pet

Oz had a Ford Zephyr

• Haha 5

40 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

Just reminds me of Auf Wiedersehen, Pet

Oz had a Ford Zephyr

That was about the size of it forking,at that time I was just outside Kiel, working on farm buildings.

And soon after return, I did buy a mk 4 Zephyr flying pig as they were known.

Which lead to lot of micky taking due to the similarity of my car, and having been a bricklayer in Germany.

Still, I had good memories of the good beer, and doppelgangers with frites .

The u boat sheds on the Kiel canal were still there, with their 6 ft thick reinforced concrete roofs , and the local hippies were dishing up shark steaks and whole mackerel on sticks wrapped in foil on the beach, the mackerel was tasty.

I don't think many joiners like Wayne brought back a BMW , I got a lift with some London chippies in a cortina MK3 across from Hamburg to Harwich that was out of tax and maybe MOT too ,with a suitcase on my knees, 😱, the boot was full of other stuff and tools.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

All these posts about reliability takes me back years, when heading out on a longer journey than normal I always took with me a spare fan belt, a liter of oil, a spare headlight bulb a couple of fuses and a selection of scanners and screwdrivers, just in case.

I had once had a car a 1965 Opel Kadette A which was a real bummer, the only thing that didn’t give trouble on that car was the rear number plate (the front one fell off)😡 I took my driving test in that car on on very hot summers day, and we had the air conditioning full on (all windows open)😏 and didn’t the full exhaust pipe fall off🤣. Now that was reliability back in the day 🤣😂🚘

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

All these posts about reliability takes me back years, when heading out on a longer journey than normal I always took with me a spare fan belt, a liter of oil, a spare headlight bulb a couple of fuses and a selection of scanners and screwdrivers, just in case.

Did you really carry a spare fan belt? I always thought people used women's tights back then for emergency fan belt repair :laugh: 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

Did you really carry a spare fan belt? I always thought people used women's tights back then for emergency fan belt repair :laugh: 

Back then in my rural area tights were not easy to come by, but laddered stockings were, but I didn’t trust the damn things.🤣😂. And if the plugs were in her for three or four thousand miles you carry a couple of them too.🤞

• Haha 5

22 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

I had once had a car a 1965 Opel Kadette A which was a real bummer, the only thing that didn’t give trouble on that car was the rear number plate (the front one fell off)😡 I took my driving test in that car on on very hot summers day, and we had the air conditioning full on (all windows open)😏 and didn’t the full exhaust pipe fall off🤣. Now that was reliability back in the day 🤣😂🚘

Follow Up to above:

I pulled up jumped out ran back and threw the exhaust into the boot, although the car was roaring like a jet plane, 🛩 amazingly he continued with the test and I passed. 🤣😂🤪It wouldn’t happen today, the test would be ended immediately.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

As I’ve seen many experiencing the problem, I’d like to share my own one. I got Hybrid System Malfunction last month. The car could run. The message disappeared after a few day. To play safe, I drove my car to the dealer. After the dealer checked, they asked me to replace the damper. Fortunately the car was still under warranty, the quote over £1,000 was covered by the warranty. The lesson learned here is not to treat the car harsh.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links