Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Mk3 to Mk4

Starensis

Been looking at swapping my wifes' Yaris mk3 for new Icon or Design model. As they're on 0% atm, thought moving to newer version would be beneficial.

I've had a few offers from dealers ranging from £19,500 for Design, to £18,500 for Icon. I understand Icon is the lesser spec of the 2, but is the increase on features in Design spec worth the extra £1k? As car will be used by the wife ( who probably won't use most features ), was thinking Icon........but those wheels are awful.

Has anyone an opinion on the new Yaris; before I get stuck in and haggle for best price?

Her current Yaris is Icon-Tech, 1.5L auto ( non-hybrid ). They're offering around £10.5k for this - as a value come March/April. Has anyone had a better deal & if so, where?

Thanks for your anticipated inputs.

Other half has a MK4 and its much better than the MK3 she had before. Much more drivable, economic, quieter, nicer car all round. If you can stretch to the Excel with Tech pack, the JBL sound system and HUD are well worth it.

For deals, try Carwow - you may find your local dealer is on there and they do have a facility to get a guideline price for PX. If nothing else, its useful to have offers on there to haggle with (my dealer matched best price for other half's Yaris MK4 and my 21 Corolla even though they are no longer on Carwow).

Remember used car prices are high at the moment, assuming car is low-average mileage and in good condition so definitely haggle. Don't be put off if you have to drive to a dealer further away unless you are 100% satisfied with the current one. You can still use the local one for servicing. My local dealer were great on my first Auris (used Carwow as a lever that time) but total idiots come renewal for me and on other half's MK3, hence we now drive just over an hour for servicing and both new cars. 

10 minutes ago, trashman1965 said:

Other half has a MK4 and its much better than the MK3 she had before. Much more drivable, economic, quieter, nicer car all round. If you can stretch to the Excel with Tech pack, the JBL sound system and HUD are well worth it.

For deals, try Carwow - you may find your local dealer is on there and they do have a facility to get a guideline price for PX. If nothing else, its useful to have offers on there to haggle with (my dealer matched best price for other half's Yaris MK4 and my 21 Corolla even though they are no longer on Carwow).

Remember used car prices are high at the moment, assuming car is low-average mileage and in good condition so definitely haggle. Don't be put off if you have to drive to a dealer further away unless you are 100% satisfied with the current one. You can still use the local one for servicing. My local dealer were great on my first Auris (used Carwow as a lever that time) but total idiots come renewal for me and on other half's MK3, hence we now drive just over an hour for servicing and both new cars. 

Thanks for the feedback.

I have used Carwow and its where I got these deals from. My normal local(ish) dealer (where I buy from usually) beats any Carwow deals, but this time, they're a little tougher due to being a new car, therefore, minimal wriggle room. Also had some good deals from a Dealer in Bromley.

Think the Excel will be over specced for the wife. She won't have a clue what some features do or how to use them. This is why I'm considering the Icon or Design specs. I'm hoping, as production ramps up, more deals will be there to be had, but understand this will push used car prices down.

Got an appointment with a Local dealer tomorrow, who stated " Whatever deal you have been offered, we will beat it". Let's see. I'm a bit of a tough negotiator & they know it. 

I chose Excel purely for the extra safety features which are probably of most use for driving around town as anywhere so even if it's just for local driving it's worth the extra in my opinion. 

I'm always amazed that when it comes to choosing a car and paying the extra safety is usually put behind appearance and other "luxury" items like sound systems and a glass roof. 

@Starensis run as fast as you can from Jemca Bromley - they screwed me over and because of that they lost 10+ sales from my referrals that went to another dealer, absolute no bleeps given, they take your money and that's it, no interest in repeat custom for me that's no way to run any business

19 minutes ago, flash22 said:

@Starensis run as fast as you can from Jemca Bromley - they screwed me over and because of that they lost 10+ sales from my referrals that went to another dealer, absolute no bleeps given, they take your money and that's it, no interest in repeat custom for me that's no way to run any business

Thanks for the heads up. I wasn’t going to use them tbh, just use them…….if you know what I mean. 😉

The difference in the Mark 3 and the Mark 4 is as bid as day and night. It’s far superior in every way. I just couldn’t believe the difference in the two cars, and one I had the test drive my mind was made up. It would take me too long to describe the difference and improvements, much better to let you find out for yourself 👏👏🚘

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

The difference in the Mark 3 and the Mark 4 is as bid as day and night. It’s far superior in every way. I just couldn’t believe the difference in the two cars, and one I had the test drive my mind was made up. It would take me too long to describe the difference and improvements, much better to let you find out for yourself 👏👏🚘

Test drive tomorrow…..👍

only 5 complaints about the mk4, test driven 3 times

1. light coloured interior of the Excel

2.Very harsh ride with 17" rims

3.seats are not as good as the MK3

4. EPB only - these do not age well and get expensive when they break

5. No costs outlined for the DCM (connected car) after 3 years - someone has to pay for the data/phone bill

5 minutes ago, Starensis said:

Test drive tomorrow…..👍

Let us know what you think 🤔 

5 minutes ago, flash22 said:

only 5 complaints about the mk4, test driven 3 times

1. light coloured interior of the Excel

2.Very harsh ride with 17" rims

3.seats are not as good as the MK3

4. EPB only - these do not age well and get expensive when they break

5. No costs outlined for the DCM (connected car) after 3 years - someone has to pay for the data/phone bill

1 & 2 won’t apply with Icon or Design specs, but 3 is important. Not sure 4 is a major issue and 5 not a clue.

7 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

Let us know what you think 🤔 

Will do.

Get one! They're awesome! :biggrin: 

I got the Excel, even tho' it had loads of things I didn't want (17" rims-Replaced, Light interior-Filthy already, Keyless Entry-Well it hasn't been hacked yet..., WorldsMostUncomfortableSportsSeats-Anyone know any good Physios...?) only because I really (really!) wanted a HUD and front+rear proximity sensors. If the Tech and City packs were options on the Design-spec I would have gotten a blue Design (You can't have a blue Excel! :confused1:)

I'd say get the Design over the Icon, if only so you get all-around electric windows, LED lights and the bigger display. You should be able to haggle the price down some - Where other people I know have gone to buy Toyotas recently, just going with their 0% finance opens up the possibility of a £1000 'discount' for some reason!

You should be able to get a good price for the Mk3 too as they are still in high demand!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Get one! They're awesome! :biggrin: 

I got the Excel, even tho' it had loads of things I didn't want (17" rims-Replaced, Light interior-Filthy already, Keyless Entry-Well it hasn't been hacked yet..., WorldsMostUncomfortableSportsSeats-Anyone know any good Physios...?) only because I really (really!) wanted a HUD and front+rear proximity sensors. If the Tech and City packs were options on the Design-spec I would have gotten a blue Design (You can't have a blue Excel! :confused1:)

I'd say get the Design over the Icon, if only so you get all-around electric windows, LED lights and the bigger display. You should be able to haggle the price down some - Where other people I know have gone to buy Toyotas recently, just going with their 0% finance opens up the possibility of a £1000 'discount' for some reason!

You should be able to get a good price for the Mk3 too as they are still in high demand!

Would prefer design spec, but depends on monthly costs. She has a limit.

They’ve offered £11k for her MK3. This is guaranteed until car arrives in April. 

The Design is the one with the largest production run so there should be more haggle room, plus it's more likely to arrive sooner than the others...

Good luck with the haggling!

You should be able to negotiate the finance terms - Obv putting in a bigger deposit lowers the monthlies, but you might be able to extend the term too. I put in 5k to get the monthlies down to £200 over 3 years, but the final payment is still pretty high...

• Like 1

The design seems like best all around trim however latest ones missed one great extra., start stop button, never thought there would be a Toyota hybrid models without this button., maybe I am too used to it but it adds up to the whole electrified experience. 👍

26 minutes ago, Cyker said:

The Design is the one with the largest production run so there should be more haggle room, plus it's more likely to arrive sooner than the others...

Good luck with the haggling!

You should be able to negotiate the finance terms - Obv putting in a bigger deposit lowers the monthlies, but you might be able to extend the term too. I put in 5k to get the monthlies down to £200 over 3 years, but the final payment is still pretty high...

£5k deposit with £126 month over 36, with GMV of £9900. Design spec.

Icon spec £4750 deposit, £113 month over 36, £9260 GMV.

17 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

The design seems like best all around trim however latest ones missed one great extra., start stop button, never thought there would be a Toyota hybrid models without this button., maybe I am too used to it but it adds up to the whole electrified experience. 👍

Yes, weird one. Obviously still got a large stock of manual steering locks In the parts bin.

• Like 1

Well you can't have the Start button without keyless entry and since that's only in the Dynamic and Excel...

Now that I've gotten used to the button start (Took a few goes for the muscle memory to go away :laugh: ), I do think it would weird me out now, starting the car by twisting the key and getting no engine crank :laugh: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Well you can't have the Start button without keyless entry and since that's only in the Dynamic and Excel...

Now that I've gotten used to the button start (Took a few goes for the muscle memory to go away :laugh: ), I do think it would weird me out now, starting the car by twisting the key and getting no engine crank :laugh: 

My previous CT didn’t have smart entry, but had the start button! 

17 hours ago, Cyker said:

2 years on and i still go to take the key out of the ignition, also the fuel filler is on the left, all the  cars i have had were on the right (UK drivers side)

Most cars have an arrow beside the petrol pump logo as to what side it is on

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, flash22 said:

2 years on and i still go to take the key out of the ignition, also the fuel filler is on the left, all the  cars i have had were on the right (UK drivers side)

Most cars have an arrow beside the petrol pump logo as to what side it is on

The reason behind the fuel filler is - in Japan, LHD cars are a status symbol and are usually driven by chauffeurs. This allows the chauffeur to fuel car easily. They simply design both HOD with filler on left for this reason.

Mmm easily?

You don't need to turn around the car to fuel but when you stop to automatic fuel station you have the pump on your left so it coluld be diffcult to open the driver door if you're driving a LHD car.

I didn't know about the status symbol reason.  I thought it was due to the right drive used in Japan. 

That's funny - every car I've owned has had the fuel cap on the left! :confused1: :laugh: 

Mk4 is a great car. I didn't have to wait for mine, i had the Design trim, i just asked if they had any in stock and they found me one that was already in the country.. Worth a try if you want a "common" one and you don't want to wait - and you're not too bothered about the colour.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links