Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Mk3 to Mk4

Starensis

LHD cars are seen as a status symbol in Japan as they are viewed as something different to the JDM RHD cars. Some cars (eg Porsche) tend to be sold in LHD only.

I'm not convinced that car manufacturers put too much emphasis on where the fuel filler is. For example:

• Every Japanese car we've had, has had the filler on the left - Japan is a RHD country.

• Every South Korean car we've had, has also had the fuel filler on the left - South Korea is a LHD country.

On most modern pumps there is enough hose to reach the far side of the car, so as long as you park fairly close to the pump with the back of the car level with it, it will reach either side fine.

I've often skipped a line of people waiting for the 'right' side of the pumps to do this ... :smug: 🙂

• Like 3

10 hours ago, MikeSh said:

On most modern pumps there is enough hose to reach the far side of the car, so as long as you park fairly close to the pump with the back of the car level with it, it will reach either side fine.

I've often skipped a line of people waiting for the 'right' side of the pumps to do this ... :smug: 🙂

Same 😉👌

• Like 1

Most manufacturers package filler necks and pipes around the key elements of the car. You will also find many standardise position and don’t move for hod. This would add complexity to bodies and becomes very expensive in tooling and processing.

Had a test drive for a few hours yesterday in a Design spec.

hybrid system and engine response

handling

style

space saver spare

digital dash

spec

Dislikes

Road noise

dash - seems a bit busy in centre readout section.

seats - comfort is not the best

plastic trims

Entertainment interface may need getting used to

Lack of vehicle customisation settings ( lane change flashes etc ).

No parking sensors on rear.

steering wheel controls not easy to find when driving.

In summary - we do like the car and feel it’s a smaller car than the Mk3 we currently have. We love the performance from that 3 cylinder 1.5L lump in association with the hybrid system. Used PWR mode once and the car did shift at an alarming rate of knots.

Seat comfort would bother me, but the wife ( whose car it will be ), thinks it’s OK. She did seem to drive it quite aggressively due to it’s eager response. Something she’d have to dial back a bit for a better mpg return 🤨.

Icon spec has the analogue dash, which is similar to her Mk3 and naff wheels. If the design spec comes in at right price, think that may be the one we go for. Although, Icon spec carries a good level of tech, so may suffice.

I’m now waiting for a couple of quotes to come back on Design spec. Both dealers I’m in discussion with have said they’ll beat the other, so we will see.

Thanks for all your inputs and discussion. 👍

• Like 1

I have a French Specification Design on order, it's on it's way to me now. It's pretty similar In spec, but has a few extra bells and whistles, like keyless entry and the start button, plus the parking sensors and rear crossing alert can be had in optional pack (In fact, pretty much everything in the pack I saw as useful and either essential, or very nice to have so I went for it at 800 € extra). 

The UK Design has the panoramic roof option, I have one of those on my current car, and used it often when I lived further north. I appreciate it right now, but from mid march till early November it's just too sunny to use it, so I don't think I will miss it.

Edited by Stopeter44
Changed October to November
  • Like 1

I gave a look to Icon vs Design specs.  I think that the most important difference are the LED headlights, they worths the price difference when you drive in the dark. 

3 minutes ago, RickyC said:

I gave a look to Icon vs Design specs.  I think that the most important difference are the LED headlights, they worths the price difference when you drive in the dark. 

Yes, I saw that too, wrt to Icon vs Design UK. The rims are different too, but hardly significant. I have looked at a number of the EU websites and there’s not one that is perfect for the Yaris IV spec I’d like to have. IMO, I think France have done ok with their Design spec, Belgium had a package where you can add the HUD, and I believe it’s easier to get the heated seats there.

Suppose the question is - how important are LED lights, Digital dash and nice wheels? 

8 minutes ago, Starensis said:

Suppose the question is - how important are LED lights, Digital dash and nice wheels? 

More like, how much are those niceties worth to you ?

For instance on the French Design spec I ordered, the electrically folding wing mirrors are not standard, to me that's must have, so I had to buy the "confort pack". I find it useful to see at a glance if the car is locked when leaving it - the mirrors fold automatically when the car is locked.

In the pack I get parking sensors front and rear (fronts I don't have right now), so definitely nice to have, I get the blind spot warnings, nice to have, and a passenger seat that is height adjustable, which is nice for the other front seat passenger and generally there are two of us in the car.

Led lights IMHO are really important. 

Digital dash and nicest wheels less. 

In Italy the Active grade ( entry level like UK's Icon ) has 15" iron rims with optional 15" alloy rims ( you can't have 16" as an option ). I think it's the only difference between the UK and Italian entry level grades.  So the Icon just starts better that Italian Actve.

Key is, it won’t be mine. The wife will own it, but she is quite fussy about wheels and colour - digital dash and LED lights, less so. If only I could get those wheels changed in with the cost.

Does anyone know if on Icon, you can still select digital readout in centre section - as her current Yaris Icon- Tech?

It's funny how different peoples priorities are :laugh: 

When you say digital readout in the centre, do you mean for showing speed?

Mine doesn't seem to have an option for that, but the dash is digital anyway - Might be different on the Icon since that has the analogue dial system like the GR Yaris.

1 hour ago, Starensis said:

she is quite fussy about wheels

I'm far more concerned about the interior looks - and frustrated by the general lack of choice (grey/black with an occasional coloured piping or cream leather option).

I spend almost no time looking at the outside of the car and what other people think as they walk past I'll generally never know (they almost certainly aren't thinking about my car anyway).

OTOH we spend a lot of time sat inside the car, so really all that stuff is where the choices should be.

• Like 1

Don't try to use logic with women and car choices mate! :laugh: 

Aside from the ones who're actually into cars, most of the rest still seem to just pick them based on colour! :laugh: 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Starensis said:

I guess very different between the different owners., icon tech spec mostly preferred trim by a rental car or other fleet schemes companies. The design wins by all means to the private owner as there are few additional extras that worth the price imo, although I personally like the cleaner look of the instrument cluster of the GR/ Icon trims. The wheels really are the last thing that I care off and here is the most important:

1. Start button smart entry 

2. Led lights 

3. Electric folding mirrors 

4. Auto dimming rear view mirror 

5. One touch drivers recline seat 

6. Separate low mounted fog lights 

7. Dark preferably leather interior 

8. Wheels and tyres on the comfort side more than the look 

These are things are use every day/night and must have essentials for my safe and pleasant drive, anything else with or without I don’t really mind. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cyker said:

It's funny how different peoples priorities are :laugh: 

When you say digital readout in the centre, do you mean for showing speed?

Mine doesn't seem to have an option for that, but the dash is digital anyway - Might be different on the Icon since that has the analogue dial system like the GR Yaris.

Yes, I was talking Icon spec - without digital dash. Most cars display mph in addition to analogue instruments.

Think my point was - she won’t see any difference with Halogen v LEDs, Digital display v Analogue ( if it also displays digital speed ), folding mirrors v manual ( although I agree it’s a good form of confirmation you’ve locked the car ).

So, if halogen lights, analogue dash are not an issue, maybe an icon with better wheels is the way to go. Seat comfort between the icon and design are same, power delivery is same, still get Road sign recognition, adaptive cruise, reverse camera, rain sensing wipers, AHB……..these are enough for her.

She may have seen the difference between those things, but, going by what you say, doesn't care about them when they are abstract. I thought the HUD was a waste until I tried it, for example. I tried looking through the manual for the digital speedo option on the LED screen between the analogue dials, I think it's there, but I wasn't 100% sure.

So, if the saving is worthwhile, the Icon is going to be mechanically the same car, so just go for the groovy wheels (or go aftermarket which may work out cheaper and better ?). @Cyker did that "backwards", i.e. downgraded to 15" steel rims, from the stock 17". 

7 hours ago, Cyker said:

Don't try to use logic with women and car choices mate! :laugh: 

?! Really ? So you think men are logical about cars ? My neighbour lives alone, no family to speak of, has 508, what does he need that for ? My brother lives alone, no family, has an Audi A6, what does he need that POS for (really horrible car, except for the engine and transmission) ? What about all those people running around in 3 litre sports saloons, the list goes on.

You're one of the few people that have a "reasonable" approach to cars.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stopeter44 said:

She may have seen the difference between those things, but, going by what you say, doesn't care about them when they are abstract. I thought the HUD was a waste until I tried it, for example. I tried looking through the manual for the digital speedo option on the LED screen between the analogue dials, I think it's there, but I wasn't 100% sure.

So, if the saving is worthwhile, the Icon is going to be mechanically the same car, so just go for the groovy wheels (or go aftermarket which may work out cheaper and better ?). @Cyker did that "backwards", i.e. downgraded to 15" steel rims, from the stock 17". 

If it was for me I’d go for the higher specs, but this is just for her to commute - in the main.

As I mentioned, you get LED lights, digital instruments and rear power windows on Design. Icon is less those but with everything else. Basically same as her current Icon-tech Mk3.

I will investigate the wheel option. Icon is coming in around £1800 less than Design spec. £750 for new wheels, still leaves me £1000 in pocket.

If I can get the design spec at a decent price, then it would be sensible to go for it.

48 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

6. Separate low mounted fog lights 

7. Dark preferably leather interior 

8. Wheels and tyres on the comfort side more than the look

I don't drive much in foggy conditions. What I hate about foglight, or rather hated, because things are better now, is that I had astigmatism (pin point light sources become multiple pinpoint light sources) and even with good corrective lenses it never really compensated for the spread coming from fog lamps  of oncoming vehicles. Given that some people turn them on when there's a vague mist, I think they are a waste of time. OTOH, I am not a professional driver.

Never much cared for leather, looks nice, but hot in summer and cold in winter.

The wheels, I have to admit a like the look of alloy rims, but know they are brittle compared with steel rims.

Edited by Stopeter44
Reworked expression of distaste for fog lamps

53 minutes ago, Starensis said:

Yes, I was talking Icon spec - without digital dash. Most cars display mph in addition to analogue instruments.

On page 104 of the OM52N30E owners manual, it says that the speedometer can be displayed.

Driving Display.png

Oooh good call, I was having a read but didn't spot that!

I will say the stuff that comes as standard is phenomenal (How many other cars have radar cruise control and lane-following on the bottom spec??!), and if the looks are the priority then yeah, the extra could be spent on changing the wheels instead, which is one of the few options you can change on the car!

At the end of the day we all have different priorities - One of my work colleagues things I'm insane to spend so much money on a Yaris and I think he's crazy to buying a VW diesel in London :laugh: 

47 minutes ago, Stopeter44 said:

?! Really ? So you think men are logical about cars ? My neighbour lives alone, no family to speak of, has 508, what does he need that for ? My brother lives alone, no family, has an Audi A6, what does he need that POS for (really horrible car, except for the engine and transmission) ? What about all those people running around in 3 litre sports saloons, the list goes on.

Ahaha, good point! :laugh: I suppose we should all remember that everybody has different 'logic'!! :laugh: 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Stopeter44 said:

On page 104 of the OM52N30E owners manual, it says that the speedometer can be displayed.

Driving Display.png

That’s OK then. Think it may be an Icon with a change of wheels. 👍

Thanks for taking the time to find out.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links