Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel consumption

Micool

Hi Guys, just joined your forum in search for info regarding fuel consumption on my 2019 Corolla hybrid, since I've purchased it it seems to burn petrol a lot faster than my last car a Seat Leon 2012.

Has anyone have the same or similar concerns?

Mike, give us a clue.  What did your last car do?  What do you think this one is doing?  What driving are you doing?  

• Like 2

getting top 40`s around town at the moment, in summer with mixed driving mid 50`s, best ever 59.4 on 150 mile motorway trip.

That sounds poor for a 1.8. Mine doesn't drop much below 60mpg even in winter. I never have done a huge amount of urban driving but back when I was commuting I'd drive 10 miles on the open road and 2 miles to get to the office and got mid to high 50s in winter and high 60s in summer.

At the moment I'm only driving to/from golf courses so no dark nights, no obnoxious weather and no congestion. My car is currently showing 58.7 mpg on the dash so probably an actual 56 mpg. I consider that pretty good considering the current cold snap.

In any case hybrids should do better in urban environments. Back when the model was new the forum members getting the best mpg were taxi drivers who spent all day bimbling around town. Those guys were getting high 70s and even into the 80s.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Micool said:

search for info regarding fuel consumption on my 2019 Corolla hybrid

Hatchback, Touring Sport or saloon?

What consumption are you getting?

How are you calculating the consumption?

Type of driving - urban, A roads/motorway, rural?

Which engine was in your Leon?

What fuel are you using currently and were using in the Leon?

Consumption does drop in winter. 

Have a look at: https://mag.toyota.co.uk/hybrid-driving-tips-for-best-fuel-economy/

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

That sounds poor for a 1.8. Mine doesn't drop much below 60mpg even in winter. I never have done a huge amount of urban driving but back

Andrue, if you referring to Stephen’s post just before yours he has a 2 litre according to his avatar.

Mi cool as above without information we can't really advise. 

Have you looked in the MyT app? You can look up stats for your last journey, and it gives advice about braking or accelerating too hard, plus tips about how to improve economy. 

My 1.8 TS did about 60mpg on its last 15 min trip to the shops, & about 63 on a 400 mile round trip on the motorway last weekend. I take 5% from the given figure to make it more realistic. 

14 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Mike, give us a clue.  What did your last car do?  What do you think this one is doing?  What driving are you doing?  

I had a Seat Leon 1.6 diesel and I was getting 450 miles down to quarter tank, on the Toyota I'm getting 300-350 to the same tank level. I would have thought be a 19 plate hybrid I should get a hell of a lot more economy

10 minutes ago, Micool said:

I had a Seat Leon 1.6 diesel and I was getting 450 miles down to quarter tank, on the Toyota I'm getting 300-350 to the same tank level. I would have thought be a 19 plate hybrid I should get a hell of a lot more economy

That's fairly meaningless to be honest.

Fuel tanks in both cars could be different sizes.

Actual or near consumption figures would be best. Until we know those, members cannot really help.

14 hours ago, Micool said:

it seems to burn petrol a lot faster than my last car a Seat Leon 2012.

Also your first post implied the Seat was petrol rather than diesel.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Micool said:

What was the Leon's tank size compared to the corolla....I'll also state the obvious that you cant really compare Diesel to Petrol, hybrid or not. I am getting around 380 miles before refilling (less than 1/4) and that's on a 2.0 hybrid. 

Best if you can actually calculate mpg (full tank, record mileage, refill and do that over a good few tank fulls) or give the calculated mpg form the car itself then we can compare. But in the basic info, it seems like you could be in the ballpark. How long have you had the car? Most of us find the mpg increases with time as we learn to get the best out of it in different conditions. Fuel (E5 Vs E10), temperature, driving conditions all affect MPG (on any car). 

See Frosty's post above and see what detail you can provide?

• Like 1

there’s a 7 liter difference in  tank sizes between 2012 Leon (50l) and the 43l in the Corolla. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RzrAzr said:

there’s a 7 liter difference in  tank sizes between 2012 Leon (50l) and the 43l in the Corolla. 

Not to mention the rather large reserve capacity that Toyota choose to exclude from level presented by the gauge and range estimate. Mine uses no more than 8 gallons before it tells me it's empty (real gallons, not US 😜).

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Red_Corolla said:

Not to mention the rather large reserve capacity that Toyota choose to exclude from level presented by the gauge and range estimate. Mine uses no more than 8 gallons before it tells me it's empty (real gallons, not US 😜).

If you'd stuck with litres it wouldn't be necessary to explain which units you were using... 😉

The worst car I've ever owned for reserve fuel alerts was my second Jazz. That would put the orange light on when there was 10 litres left. That's nearly a quarter of the tank and enough for 100 miles of driving. It wasn't so much that it came on at that level, rather that the senor was easily tripped because the tank was so flat (it was under the seats) and once it triggered the light wouldn't go out until you filled up.

Honda fixed it in the Mk3 so that you only had about 40 miles left but apparently that caused problems because owners of the Mk2 had got used to treating the warning light as 'fill up when convenient' rather than 'fill up ASAP'.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AndrueC said:

If you'd stuck with litres it wouldn't be necessary to explain which units you were using... 😉

It was a rough estimate based on knowing I can't go very far beyond 400 miles before the range is zero, yet I have always achieved at least 50mpg. Converting to litres would have implied a certain amount of accuracy 😆

• Like 1

I remember being a bit disappointed when I had to refuel my Mk4 for the first time after only 450 miles, vs my Mk2's 400 miles and my Mk1 D4D's 550-600 miles, but was very surprised, then smug when I could only get 26L into the tank vs the 38-40 I would have needed for the other two :naughty: 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I remember being a bit disappointed when I had to refuel my Mk4 for the first time after only 450 miles, vs my Mk2's 400 miles and my Mk1 D4D's 550-600 miles, but was very surprised, then smug when I could only get 26L into the tank vs the 38-40 I would have needed for the other two :naughty: 

It's a minor niggle for me because my last car was a big Skoda superb land yacht with a 2.0 diesel. It could beat the 2.0 Corolla for economy on long motorway runs but also had a much bigger tank. I would easily get over 700 miles from a tank, driving long distances.

Luckily, I had done my homework reading the brochure and noted that hybrid Corollas have a supermini size tank, so I wasn't too shocked about needing to fill up a lot more often.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That's yet another knock-on effect of the pandemic (and obviously a minor one). Now that I'm not commuting I'm doing far fewer miles. I used to have to fill up every three weeks but now it's more like once every couple of months. I'm beginning to understand how people could run out of fuel. I can now see how a low mileage driver could actually forget the need for petrol. In the days before warning lights the first you'd know is when the car suddenly stopped.

It's also a problem that the petrol station is the only place where I have to use my credit card PIN. I have a pretty good memory for numbers but when you use it that infrequently it becomes harder to remember. In fact since I buy almost exclusively online (I was doing that before Covid) I'm probably in danger of forgetting how to pay for things 😮

• Like 1

Yeah diesel is still king for long distance high-speed/high-load driving - I was so used to being able to drive for weeks without refuelling because of my Mk1 D4D that it was a big shock having to refuel every 5-7 days with the petrol Mk2!

It really sucks diesel's been demonized so badly as I feel it still has a lot of potential, esp. with newer discoveries that could potentially make it as clean-burning as petrol!

It's going to really suck for hauliers when they start to ban them; No EV or hydrogen-powered truck is going to be able to do the kind of work a diesel truck does! But the people making these decisions have no idea how things work in real life... those ivory towers must be real high up!

• Like 2

Rattle and vibrations of a Diesel engine , no thank you. Unless maybe it’s a 6 cylinder E class, even then at that budget I’m sure petrol won’t be much of an issue

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RzrAzr said:

Rattle and vibrations of a Diesel engine , no thank you. Unless maybe it’s a 6 cylinder E class, even then at that budget I’m sure petrol won’t be much of an issue

Agreed, diesel only if it’s a large engine 5 or 6 cylinders minimum and 2.5ltr and above. 

My previous car was a Volvo V40 diesel, 1.6 4 cylinder .. no rattles or vibrations?

Yeah, diesels don't have to be rattly - The later german and, bizarrely, french ones were extremely refined, even the 4 cylinder ones! They were certainly smoother than the 3-pot in my Mk4 :laugh: 

Personally I liked that diesel thrum tho'; I was never a big fan of excessively smooth quiet engines - As long as it wasn't stupidly loud, I liked being able to hear what it's doing! The 1.33 in my old Mk2 was extremely smooth and barely audible at idle - Certainly any road noise was louder than the engine, but that made it tricky to know if it had stalled or the start-stop had kicked in sometimes!!

It's one thing I love about the Mk4 and it's 2-sided nature - I can make it raucous OR quiet! Again having my cake and eating it! :biggrin: 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links