Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brand new Yaris cross with rust on welds of boot hinges

Mark Borthwick

As you have discussed, the insulator is of a green material. The hinges are fitted to the hatch in silver and then the hatch is painted in the body colour.

I have attached all the photos from the eBay listed part as it might show further detail for you all.

As the ARC has ordered new hinges for the repair, I can only assume the insulator is pre fitted to the hinge or, Toyota have made some changes to the insulator and or hinge.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1601.jpg

s-l1602.jpg

s-l1603.jpg

s-l1604.jpg

• Like 5

just looked the hinges up in the EPC the pads under the hinge are actually shims as they are available in 1 and 1.5mm thicknesses looking at the pics it's not rust, but there is some sort of dissimilar metal corrosion going on

The brown goo is some sort of sealant or wax as you can see from the way it has squidged out the sides in a uniform manner

The hinge and bolts look to be zinc/hard-plated

hinge from a late Mk2 Aygo

648a77e1eaaec.jpg

Edit. The Aygo X 2021- uses the exact same hinges as the Mk4 yaris

• Like 3

Flash22. Thanks for your input and findings. I did notice the other day and after the car had been rained on, that when I opened the hatch that water had collected around the the hinge to body join. From that I summise that the water is getting in the edge of the joint and so creating a rusting point. I will question the ARC about it when I take the car in next week and will feed back that here.

I wasn't sure if there was a problem on my Excel and after reading posts on here even less sure but asked Dealer to have a look at what looked like rust around the seat of the left hand hatch hinge. They referred it to Toyota who approved a warranty repair after a couple of days. The replacement hinges have now arrived and it is booked in the ARC for a week on Monday.

Credit to the servicing dealer for sorting this as I didn't buy from them as they didn't have one available.

• Like 1

Peter You did well to get it booked in it 2 days, it took my dealer 2 weeks to get the go ahead from Toyota!  Then a further 4 weeks to get the hinges in and the ARC to book the car in, mind you Xmas got in the way for a week of that.

I would be good if you could post a photograph or two of your rusty hinges and post it here for others to see in the future.

A photo of what is seen to be rust as requested ..

20231110_123712r.thumb.JPG.3de90fe4c5b6f6681ec4c8ea57ba6fb7.JPG

• Sad 3

Yikes that's very prominent! Can you poke it with a fingernail or something? I'm wondering if it's flakey or waxy...

Goodness me! 😮

It must be a reaction because it’s too new for that to happen.  Mine has the stains from the chemical dip from day one.  

• Like 1

After a 5 days stint at the Accident and Repair Centre I now have new hinges, two part paint and lacquer top gutter. Speaking to the boss at the ARC he said that during manufacture the back hatch is fitted to the main body of the car in its bear metal state. The body, hatch and bonnet go through hot galvanizing process which dips the lot in a tank of treatment. After the anti rust treatment and baking process the whole assembly is then painted. As the hinges are positioned in a gutter which in the Yaris Cross retains a certain amount of water run off the roof and this run off collects around the hinge base. The water creeps between the main body of the car and the plastic hinge spacer and the rust will set in. I believe Toyota thought that the plastic spacer would act as a seal, however with the amount of owners posting in this thread it doesn’t. My advice to all you Cross owners is keep an eye on your hinges and if you see any signs of rust contact your dealer and get it dealt with sooner that later!

PS

Apparently my ARC have completed quite a few of this type of repair this last few years and they have been on other makes / models of car.

• Like 3

Well after 3 days in the ARC I am now much happier with the look of the car now. Excellent service from ARC, car valeted inside and out. They did say that they have done quite a few on older Yaris models and a lot on Peugeots but not Yaris Cross.

20240118_120054r.thumb.JPG.0c3ccb01fd888896833bb9f461c6a280.JPG

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Peterd23 said:

Well after 3 days in the ARC I am now much happier with the look of the car now. Excellent service from ARC, car valeted inside and out. They did say that they have done quite a few on older Yaris models and a lot on Peugeots but not Yaris Cross.

20240118_120054r.thumb.JPG.0c3ccb01fd888896833bb9f461c6a280.JPG

It doesn’t look a good match but it doesn’t matter in there as long as everything else is to your satisfaction.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, new on here, have Mar 2023 Yaris Cross Hybrid, bringing it to dealer for first service (1 year or 15K)  in the next couple of weeks. Have noticed the attached which looks like what this thread is talking about, but what about the three dots highlighted, rust??? hardly wax? What should I be doing/saying to dealer? Thanks in advance.IMG-20240127-WA0004.thumb.jpg.55749e31a407ed7a5de6e4fe144fd366.jpgIMG-20240127-WA00052.thumb.jpg.8f3c0f2ca0f602e1dbde60b0bd0af596.jpg

Edited by Uinsion
Remove duplicate pics
  • Sad 1

It looks a bit suspect around the edge of that rubber boot as well and possibly also at the sealing strip.

Its obviously unacceptable so just point it out politely to the dealer and see what they come back with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mooly said:

It looks a bit suspect around the edge of that rubber boot as well and possibly also at the sealing strip.

Its obviously unacceptable so just point it out politely to the dealer and see what they come back with.

And keep us updated 👍

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2023 at 3:41 PM, Max_Headroom said:

Could it be this dip and bake that is causing this as its baking it on before it has time to run off completely. (the video below starts at this process)

YCboot2.thumb.JPG.fddd5d0af795e92954f0e8339fd99340.JPG

Makes sense. The heat causes the bubbles which then get baked.

My post has been moved to the rav sub-forum but I think it belongs here just as much or more, so here's the link

Yaris hatchback has that issue too.

I checked in my car and there is no paint under hinge on roof in my Yaris htb. just like on thi pictures of YC in this topic.

I painted this with anticorrosion wax, but I'm sure if I didn't do anything there will be rust in next months.

(sorry for my bad english- I am from Poland :-))

• Like 2

This corrosion issues are not caused by rain water, it’s from inside under the paint that something it’s not right. , chemical reaction or whatever. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links