Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2022 RAV4 stolen

atartan

7 hours ago, Talshia said:

I have just had the plates fitted, took less than 3 hours.

At first the Service Dept knew nothing of it, but when I told them it was Part No GBNGA BRACK01 and Campaign Bulletin WB 853, they looked it up and were most helpful.

Total Charge £70.

Paul

Using your part number I found the fitting instructions and they do state bumper had headlight removal. 

• Like 2

On 3/5/2024 at 1:27 PM, 182_blue said:

I went through Customs relations, they put me in contact with this dealer, I didn't contact the dealer directly. 

Screenshot_20240305_132759_Gmail.jpg

I asked Customer Relations to organise it directly with my dealer and to coordinate the work with my first service which they duly did.  The only other thing I did was to confirm what was on the work schedule for the car service and that it included the CANBUS plates fitting.  Maybe CR are getting wise to direct requests but mine was only requested back in December up in the north east.

Loads of Hilux pick up trucks vanishing now in my area. Wonder if it’s the same method used on the RAV4…

9 minutes ago, ELD1970 said:

Loads of Hilux pick up trucks vanishing now in my area. Wonder if it’s the same method used on the RAV4…

Most likely, Hilux doesn't have a signed comms, so it's easy to brute force it. 

BTW, I came across an interesting article explaining hacking SecOS on the RAV4 Prime/PHEV. In this case, the guy successfully extracted the SecOS keys from the memory exploiting the vulnerabilities present in the bootloader
https://icanhack.nl/blog/secoc-key-extraction/

When I started reading this, I was worried 😰 that PHEVs would start disappearing from the streets in just a couple of months. But thankfully, in order to build a working payload that will be accepted by the ECU, another secret stored in the firmware is needed, and this one cannot be extracted over CAN. In this case, he extracted the firmware from the ESP module by hardwiring it to capture that secret.

https://icanhack.nl/blog/rh850-glitch/
https://github.com/I-CAN-hack/secoc?tab=readme-ov-file

So, I've paid for an hour of access to the toyota resources,  and have seen that a recall is in place for mainland europe - to rework a second immobilizer...

I wonder why TOyota UK is not on  that list, and I wonder what we can do to get this rework,..

this is the reference - 24SD-022T
Version 1
5 March 2024

Subject:
Wire harness rework for Accessory 2nd Immobilizer on Multiple Models
Type:
Recall or Special Service Campaign
Area of Application:
Toyota Austria; Toyota Baltics; Toyota Belgium; Toyota Czech; Toyota France; Toyota Germany; Toyota Hungary; Toyota Israel; Toyota Italy; Toyota Netherlands; Toyota Poland; Toyota Portugal; Toyota Spain; Toyota Sweden;
Models – Model Codes:
C-HR - MAXH10, ZYX11 ;
RAV4 - AXAH52, AXAH54, AXAL52, AXAL54 ;
RAV4 Plug-in Hybrid - AXAP54 ;

21 minutes ago, chilaspt said:

So, I've paid for an hour of access to the toyota resources,  and have seen that a recall is in place for mainland europe - to rework a second immobilizer...

I wonder why TOyota UK is not on that list, and I wonder what we can do to get this rework,..

Probably because the faulty "Accessory 2nd Immobilizer" was never offered nor fitted in the UK so that the rework is unnecessary ... ?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, philip42h said:

Probably because the faulty "Accessory 2nd Immobilizer" was never offered nor fitted in the UK so that the rework is unnecessary ... ?

Silly me 🙂

Look whats different.........................................

We are RHD the looms are completely different, Europe is a much bigger market of course it's going to take time for the lesser RHD owners

On 3/6/2024 at 7:11 AM, Strangely Brown said:

Hi,
May I ask a couple of questions...
How long ago was your car stolen? I presume this was a CAN theft? Which steering wheel lock did you have?

@Strangely Brown

I had the Stoplock Pro Elite. Just cut through the wheel and removed. Neighbours video showed it was pretty quick to open the car and cut through wheel, and drive off.. 1-2 minutes… and couldn’t hear a thing… 

IMG_5437.jpeg

• Sad 3

Thanks for the reply.
Was the car opened and started by a Relay or CAN attack? How long ago?

My RAV4 was stolen a few nights ago. My car was targeted and it only took the three criminals a few minutes to take.

The Tracker was working, but the car has disappeared (not where it says it is, under a railway bridge.

We since learnt, there is a security weakness. Look up CAN Injection. You don't need key! 

The criminals walked past high end cars including Porsches, BMW, Mercedes and Audis, but went straight to mine in a secluded Crescent.

You need a ghost immobiliser if you have this car, otherwise you are leaving yourself open to having it stolen and all that goes with that.

I strongly feel Toyota need to take responsibility for their design failings, be transparent, acknowledge the security at present is not effective  and address this urgently

I have engaged with them and blame the criminals, which I do too, but Toyota needs to take on some of this blame.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Topic merged with the existing comprehensive topic. Have a browse.

13 hours ago, matefromthesea said:

@Strangely Brown

I had the Stoplock Pro Elite. Just cut through the wheel and removed. Neighbours video showed it was pretty quick to open the car and cut through wheel, and drive off.. 1-2 minutes… and couldn’t hear a thing… 

IMG_5437.jpeg

I'm wondering if a disklock is as easy to circumvent, say by drilling the keyhole or something like that... Did they make a second cut? I normally install the Stoplock over one of the spokes, on top of the buttons, across the wheel, and through the wide gap, 

Stayed at our daughters overnight on grandchild sitting duties. Noticed a Toyota C-HR parked on the other side of the road when we arrived yesterday. Found out the C-HR had been stolen overnight. Wonder if the fact I had fitted the Milenco steering lock stopped further interest in the RAV?

(The RAV is fitted with protection plates and thankfully there was no interference with the wheel arch )

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, robo1 said:

Stayed at our daughters overnight on grandchild sitting duties. Noticed a Toyota C-HR parked on the other side of the road when we arrived yesterday. Found out the C-HR had been stolen overnight. Wonder if the fact I had fitted the Milenco steering lock stopped further interest in the RAV?

(The RAV is fitted with protection plates and thankfully there was no interference with the wheel arch )

I believe I read the box of tricks they use is different for the CHR to the RAV, so its possible they were specifically on the look out for a CHR. 

15 hours ago, matefromthesea said:

@Strangely Brown

IMG_5437.jpeg

Very sorry you had your car stolen, but if this had a Stoplock fitted, it wasn't fitted as recommended. The bars on the locking head should go either side of a spoke. It would need more cuts that way. Sorry, a bit late to be helpful now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, nlee said:

believe I read the box of tricks they use is different for the CHR to the RAV, so its possible they were specifically on the look out for a CHR. 

Didn’t know they may be different. I assumed the codes would be the same for all Toyotas. 

2 hours ago, nlee said:

Very sorry you had your car stolen, but if this had a Stoplock fitted, it wasn't fitted as recommended. The bars on the locking head should go either side of a spoke. It would need more cuts that way. Sorry, a bit late to be helpful now. 

I was just thinking that, my son uses a Stoplock on his Fiesta and fits it over the spoke, it would be really hard to cut off as even if you cut the wheel either side you couldn't slide it either way to unhook it through the cuts, because of the spoke. 
I suppose they might be able to make enough cuts from the underside of the steering wheel eventually, but would be a pain.

• Like 1

I’ve just been out to try and fit my Stoplock pro over the bottom (6.00 o’clock) spoke and it’s not possible on my dynamic rav4. Doesn’t fit - lock wont shut. 
Funny though as yesterday I saw a rav4 2020 model with a Stoplock on the steering wheel and ………. a small wheel /tyre lock like the sort you’d put on a parked caravan and I thought that’s a bit OTT but after this sawn thru’ steering wheel, maybe it’s not after all. 

17 minutes ago, Dushio said:

I’ve just been out to try and fit my Stoplock pro over the bottom (6.00 o’clock) spoke and it’s not possible on my dynamic rav4. Doesn’t fit - lock wont shut. 
Funny though as yesterday I saw a rav4 2020 model with a Stoplock on the steering wheel and ………. a small wheel /tyre lock like the sort you’d put on a parked caravan and I thought that’s a bit OTT but after this sawn thru’ steering wheel, maybe it’s not after all. 

Mine fits perfectly on the 3 o'clock spoke with the arm resting above the 9 o'clock spoke. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Dushio said:

As nlee says, as photo

IMG_5882.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rigsby said:

As nlee says, as photo

IMG_5882.jpeg

That's how I fit mine. That way will require at least three cuts to remove it and cutting the spoke would be quite difficult.

I would imagine there is a limit to the amount of damage that is 'acceptable' before the car is no longer wanted by the fence. Still, one cut, two cuts, three cuts, whatever... the wheel is knackered anyway.

Thanks for the photo, I never thought to fit my lock that way, I will give it a try a bit later. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dushio said:

Thanks for the photo, I never thought to fit my lock that way, I will give it a try a bit later. 

Mine is the Stoplock Pro Elite which has a slightly deeper offset 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links