Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2022 RAV4 stolen

atartan

Already posted

• Like 1

Firstly, many thanks to you all for posting some interesting if somewhat concerning information. As a new owner of a second hand car I want to protect it so this forum is brilliant. Having read this thread I found myself a little uncertain as to the position with my car, a 2021 PHEV. I wasn't too sure if the different architecture was for later models only. So I contacted Toyota CR (again thanks for pointing out this avenue) with my reg to confirm the position, and here is the reply -

Thank you for your email regarding your RAV4 Plug-in.

While no car can be considered 100% immune to criminal intent, the RAV4 Plug-in is not susceptible to CAN bus attack.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any further questions.

So I hope that helps if there is anyone like me who hadn't quite managed to join the dots. And many thanks to Toyota CR for the quick response.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DRS300 said:

my car, a 2021 PHEV

If you update your profile to show full details of your car - year, model grade and engine (as appropriate) - it will help forum members give better advice ... 😉

The problem is until the vast majority of vulnerable RAVs are protected and the thieves become aware of the added protection / model vulnerability visible deterrents will still need to be used. Car might be harder to steal but it can still be damaged when they try to steal it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/18/2024 at 5:47 PM, Rigsby said:

Mine is the Stoplock Pro Elite which has a slightly deeper offset 

So after almost 3 years of ownership, I’ve learned to put the Stoplock Pro Elite I have on correctly at the 10 to 3 position ! Thanks Rigsby. A much easier fit and far better than how I was using it in the past - which was often a struggle 😀

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, chilaspt said:

Leigh Day is organising to get compensation if your car has been stolen...

They aren't 'organising' compensation, they are investigating a potential group legal claim, which would need to go through the appropriate legal process, before any potential compensation is awarded. This could take months or years for the process to be completed ......

Is that like those usa big lawsuits where the lawyers get all the money and the payout ends up being like 5 dollars per person or something...?

• Like 1

Obviously the legal firm is evaluating what interest there is, and, based on that, potential earnings for themselves. Effectively the UK equivalent to the US class action, but, as with class action, not a quick solution to getting compensation.

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

They aren't 'organising' compensation, they are investigating a potential group legal claim, which would need to go through the appropriate legal process, before any potential compensation is awarded. This could take months or years for the process to be completed ......

Still worth it. The statement Toyota put out a few days ago wasn't just for show, it's all about damage control.

• Thanks 1

I got a payout under the "diesel gate" for my Skoda Yeti I seem to remember getting around 50% after 'expenses and the company's share.  To be honest there is no way I'd have got anything if I had not joined one of the class act company's.   

• Like 4

On 3/23/2024 at 8:21 PM, chilaspt said:

The way I read it, its not if your car is stolen, its claiming compensation for in effect the car not being of the quality expected for the price due it having inadequate security

"Lawyers at Leigh Day are now investigating a potential group legal claim for compensation against Toyota/Lexus on behalf of vehicle owners for breach of contract and consumer rights legislation. "

I'm rather curious as to exactly what contract Toyota has broken or how they have broken consumer rights legislation? 
It does rather reek of shysters putting together a class action for a bit of compo. Doubtless there will be plenty willing to jump at the chance of a bit of free cash.

7 minutes ago, Strangely Brown said:

I'm rather curious as to exactly what contract Toyota has broken or how they have broken consumer rights legislation? 
It does rather reek of shysters putting together a class action for a bit of compo. Doubtless there will be plenty willing to jump at the chance of a bit of free cash.

I haven't really been wanting to get pulled into this thread because I don't particularly have anything to add. The thread from Strangely Brown sort of sums up a couple aspects of the whole saga.

Yes I'm also curious to know what contract or legislation Toyota has broken. In some warped way one can admire the ingenuity of how on earth these lowlifes learn by design and ability to steal cars with such audacity. It's a story akin to safe cracking over the years, no matter how preventive something is made there's always seems to be someone that thinks they can!

If you can't lock your vehicle away in a garage or at least behind locked gates I'm more inclined for the sturdy and visible types of antitheft devices such as steering or/and gearshift locks.

Mine is June 23 build and it came with a factory fitted alarm as standard but I have no idea if it immobilises any of the cars circuits. I also don't if it has anything in place to prevent the can bus thefts.

I suppose I am lucky because in all my years I have never had a vehicle broken into or stolen but I do sympathise with those that have, it must be traumatic time? 

15 minutes ago, GBgraham said:

Mine is June 23 build and it came with a factory fitted alarm as standard but I have no idea ...

Take a look at this thread:

and the associate statement from Toyota: Toyota GB statement on vehicle theft

The specific vulnerability was never present in the RAV4 PHEV and was resolved in production of the HEV from October 2022 ...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Strangely Brown said:

Under the Consumer Rights Act all products must be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described.  Wiring the headlights with CAN wiring is either lazy or just inept by Toyota, which would fit under the Consumer Rights Act.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, matefromthesea said:

Under the Consumer Rights Act all products must be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described.  Wiring the headlights with CAN wiring is either lazy or just inept by Toyota, which would fit under the Consumer Rights Act.

I think this is the line they would be looking at, the cost of the item is also taken into account so you could expect something costing as much as a RAV4 does to have proportionate quality security.

Also Toyota have kind of shot their own foot by on later models changing the CAN bus to a secure protocol and also announcing these cars need extra security hardware, they are in effect admitting the security performance for the affected models was sub standard.

This may even be why they have proactively initiated the program to design and release extra security measures for vulnerable models, in preparation for legal action, if they can fix the vehicles to 'merchantable quality' it may be cheaper for them by defusing costly compensation claims.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, matefromthesea said:

The problem isn't wiring the headlights with can, but that there is little protection agains tampering, and that it is one CAN network both for security/essential components as it is for say headlights. That plus there is no encryption in place to verify the authenticity of the commands ( even if it is just the security commands )

• Like 2

So when I bought my Elite Pro I didn’t read the instructions… key goes in, steering is difficult, job done ! Or so I thought… 

How ive been [lazily] fitting my Elite Pro:

IMG_8611.thumb.jpeg.08b6f1a7a285277849703e1216d00c9d.jpeg

How I will do it now after monitoring this thread:

IMG_8610.thumb.jpeg.b74224c532201a3767632a09d9108549.jpeg

Thanks to this forum I’ve learnt how to do it properly. Many thanks @Rigsby ! 😁

I always thought it was far too big and loose to be ‘recommended’, now I’m using it properly it’s the perfect fit ! 💪🏻 

User error 😂

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, JDK-SL7 said:

So when I bought my Elite Pro I didn’t read the instructions… key goes in, steering is difficult, job done ! Or so I thought… 

How ive been [lazily] fitting my Elite Pro:

IMG_8611.thumb.jpeg.08b6f1a7a285277849703e1216d00c9d.jpeg

How I will do it now after monitoring this thread:

IMG_8610.thumb.jpeg.b74224c532201a3767632a09d9108549.jpeg

Thanks to this forum I’ve learnt how to do it properly. Many thanks @Rigsby ! 😁

I always thought it was far too big and loose to be ‘recommended’, now I’m using it properly it’s the perfect fit ! 💪🏻 

User error 😂

your not the first or last, I had to persuade my son how to fit one like this on his Fiesta. I always think, armed with tools such as a hacksaw or cordless grinder and I needed to get the thing off, how would I do it? and doing imaginary cuts through the steering wheel, it would still be extremely difficult as you can no longer slide the device around the wheel to release it through the cuts you made further round where you had access to cut.

• Like 3

Didn’t realize that at all. You live and learn. Much better that way.

I've finally caught up on recent developments here noted the Toyota announcement but while spring cleaning this long weekend I found my Disklok from my previous '62 Focus ST (don't judge - I was younger and had no kids) so swapped from my Elite Pro to that as locally I've noted an up-tick in reports.

I'm picking up a 2020 Rav 4 in a few days, to replace a Lexus.The dealer assures me that the Cam Bus shield has been fitted.  I still might look at other options of security.

I will be keeping the Yaris

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links