Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2022 RAV4 stolen

atartan

Additionally once the key has opened the bar lock it can be removed, the pins remain in the open position the lock placed on the steering wheel and then just move the pins to lock. I find this sometimes easier as I can put the key away.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ernieb said:

Additionally once the key has opened the bar lock it can be removed, the pins remain in the open position the lock placed on the steering wheel and then just move the pins to lock. I find this sometimes easier as I can put the key away.

I'm sure when mine arrives later In week I shall make a dogs dinner of it!

Find this a bit worrying to be honest. A steering wheel lock would be a waste of time with me as I would get fed up with putting on and off.Also where do you keep it when off bearing in mind that in the event of an accident it could become a very dangerous projectile.

I am personally leaning towards the Ghost imobiliser. Anyone out there got any feedback on them at all?
regards Terry 

• Like 1

I suspect that we need a map of "nicked RAVs" by area ... I'd have thought that "Devon" or "Renfrewshire" were relative safe counties. I'm not planning any extra precautions where we live ... 😉

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Terry10 said:

Find this a bit worrying to be honest. A steering wheel lock would be a waste of time with me as I would get fed up with putting on and off.Also where do you keep it when off bearing in mind that in the event of an accident it could become a very dangerous projectile.

I am personally leaning towards the Ghost imobiliser. Anyone out there got any feedback on them at all?
regards Terry 

I wanted to install ghost immobiliser but I was told it will invalidate Toyota's warranty. I am not sure if this is correct or not.

48 minutes ago, philip42h said:

I suspect that we need a map of "nicked RAVs" by area ... I'd have thought that "Devon" or "Renfrewshire" were relative safe counties. I'm not planning any extra precautions where we live ... 😉

Only issue I face is I drive about in car with work, can be in Edinburgh one day, Manchester the next do will need it now sadly but where to put it when not in use is the problem... 

Will check out the warranty thing as that is the last thing I want to loose though I thought that have read that it doesn't affect it as the wiring is not cut into. As far as living in Devon goes, granted most of the Rav thefts have been around London and now I think there have been some in the midlands, it will spread.If the worst happens we all have the problem of the wait for anew car to come through which is currently in excess of 12 months. Don't want to go there.

Terry

• Like 1

I've bought a stoplock pro elite from Halfords.  It was 10% off if you joined some random discount card thing.

Hope it will be a visible deterrent when I park somewhere dodgy like Cov 🤣

• Haha 1

We were talking about this at work and the question became:

What would deter a thief more; A steering lock or a blowup sex doll in the driver's seat?:g:

• Haha 4

25 minutes ago, Terry10 said:

Will check out the warranty thing as that is the last thing I want to loose though I thought that have read that it doesn't affect it as the wiring is not cut into. As far as living in Devon goes, granted most of the Rav thefts have been around London and now I think there have been some in the midlands, it will spread.If the worst happens we all have the problem of the wait for anew car to come through which is currently in excess of 12 months. Don't want to go there.

Terry

1 hour ago, PAISLEY1903 said:

Only issue I face is I drive about in car with work, can be in Edinburgh one day, Manchester the next do will need it now sadly but where to put it when not in use is the problem... 

1 minute ago, Cyker said:

What would deter a thief more; A steering lock or a blowup s*x doll in the driver's seat?

Maybe both, and anti vandal paint all over the car.

Nitrile gloves required though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

You may be onto something there; Galactic Blue, Tokyo Flare, Decuma Grey, Anti-Vandal Black...

• Haha 3

Got my car delivered back today. Went straight to Halfords and picked up a Stoplock pro elite as my wife already uses one on her car after a recommendation and an earlier post included a review which said it was as good as a disk lock but a lot easier to use. 
Halfords ‘price matched’ Amazon so got over £7 off. (I just had to show the website showing it was in stock and free delivery.)

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Cyker said:

What would deter a thief more; A steering lock or a blowup s*x doll in the driver's seat?:g:

A conventional sexy female doll will likely to attract these scumbags even more. Broth, it need to be like a boy George doll or something similar to deter 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Would that Donald Trump balloon they had in Central London do?

18 minutes ago, A chapin said:

Got my car delivered back today. Went straight to Halfords and picked up a Stoplock pro elite as my wife already uses one on her car after a recommendation and an earlier post included a review which said it was as good as a disk lock but a lot easier to use. 
Halfords ‘price matched’ Amazon so got over £7 off. (I just had to show the website showing it was in stock and free delivery.)

You've just reminded me I need to find my TOC Halfords discount card for some xmas shopping in Halfords!!! I feel I've wasted the membership slightly as I haven't used it once yet!!! It's a pity it's only applicable for in-store purchases...

• Like 2

I was told by the engineer at the insurance repair place that the Ghost 2 is a very good system, but while it stops the actual drive away theft, the problem is that the car has already been damaged by the thief to get into it when he finds it won’t go. So although the car hasn’t gone this can still result in potential costly repairs.

It’s not a visible deterrent but still worth considering.

• Like 3

There is the Shadow upgrade for the Ghost system that adds extra security protection & a siren.

Might be worth investigating.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, A chapin said:

For those considering the StopLock Pro Elite I would recommend trying the StopLock Pro (non-Elite) version first, or try both if your Halfords branch will let you.

The only difference between the Pro and the Pro Elite is that the latter has a deeper bend in the shaft to accommodate cars with a larger centre on the steering wheel. I found the Pro Elite to be a looser fit on the RAV4 and changed it for the Pro which, IMO, actually fits the RAV4 wheel much better.

• Like 2

I wonder how many owners bought RAV4 after discovering this easily stolen issue. Sometimes ignorance is a bliss. 

I accept that many cars can be stolen in this way, but I am not interested in those cars. Buying a car for ~40k and then continuously being worried that it may get stolen takes a lot of fun away from owning a new car. It turns enjoyment into anxiety. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Strangely Brown said:

For those considering the StopLock Pro Elite I would recommend trying the StopLock Pro (non-Elite) version first, or try both if your Halfords branch will let you.

The only difference between the Pro and the Pro Elite is that the latter has a deeper bend in the shaft to accommodate cars with a larger centre on the steering wheel. I found the Pro Elite to be a looser fit on the RAV4 and changed it for the Pro which, IMO, actually fits the RAV4 wheel much better.

I tried both in Halfords. I agree, the Pro Elite is a looser fit but for some reason, I couldn't get the Pro on without it sounding the horn permanently. Seems odd for basically the same car, maybe small tolerances. Needless to say, I came away with the Pro Elite. The locking bit fits perfectly over the steering wheel spoke, which is the recommended way to use it as it would take more destruction of the steering wheel to remove it.

I'm left in no doubt it can be stolen if somebody really wanted to but if it makes them think about moving onto the next car, job done. Same principle of being the 1 in 10 houses in the area that has an alarm.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, mobi said:

I wonder how many owners bought RAV4 after discovering this easily stolen issue. Sometimes ignorance is a bliss. 

I accept that many cars can be stolen in this way, but I am not interested in those cars. Buying a car for ~40k and then continuously being worried that it may get stolen takes a lot of fun away from owning a new car. It turns enjoyment into anxiety. 

I bought mine long before this was being discussed but I still don't completely agree that you keep saying it is "easily stolen". I can't say I have any real anxiety every time I park up but have a steering lock as a sensible precaution because I sometimes park up in remote locations where a would-be thief could have a fair amount of time without being disturbed and hence I would consider on any car I owned. Although maybe said thief with the necessary equipment and software just happening to pass where I parked might also be remote. In fact I was probably more anxious when leaving my previous Land Rover.

• Like 3

I wouldn't necessarily say this is an easy steal.  Yes, perhaps for criminals with knowledge and tools but not for your average !Removed!.

1 hour ago, nlee said:

I tried both in Halfords. I agree, the Pro Elite is a looser fit but for some reason, I couldn't get the Pro on without it sounding the horn permanently. Seems odd for basically the same car, maybe small tolerances. Needless to say, I came away with the Pro Elite. The locking bit fits perfectly over the steering wheel spoke, which is the recommended way to use it as it would take more destruction of the steering wheel to remove it.

I found the same yes.  Pro elite is looser but I can fit it so you can't even sit in the seat easily.

Just bought Pro Elite as the Pro was a really good deterrent but would run the Battery flat as it kept the horn on. Parked in England over last three days and still have the car thanks to the Stop Lock - or maybe just too chilly for those poor soles who have to spend much of their nights crouched under Toyota wheel arches.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links