Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Windscreen Replacement?

Cyker

18 hours ago, Cyker said:

Gah will it never end!! On the way to work I noticed several lines of drops running down the screen leaving trails of water. Activated the wipers - Went right over them... they were running down the inside of the window!! :eek: :crybaby: 

Now, I'm not 100% sure if it's leaking through the seal - It might just be extreme condensation, as it was freezing today and the windscreen is misting up like crazy. I can smell the adhesive still and I suspect it's coating the windscreen, making it much more susceptible to condensation, so I'll have to get out the soapy water and isopropyl and give it a damned good clean and see if that helps. I really really hope that's all it is... :unsure:

I'll have to make a note, to next time if I get a stone chip that requires a new windscreen, do it in summer...!

Hope it’s a condensation only. If there are holes in the seal or anything not aligned correctly you will hear a wind noise like slightly open windows. Also the regenerative braking noise will be 3 times louder and you will feel like you are seated in the engine bay, not the cabin. I know that from personal experience with gf Auris, hers was so bad that even wind was getting inside the car and blow towards passenger like air con, horrible experience after windscreen was replaced in the dealer Steven Eagell Aylsbury, by a sub contractor, likely autoglass . 

• Like 2

Look on the bright side Cyker.  You can have a good scratch on an icicle and you can use it as a weapon to fend off KHAAAN if you bump into him.  Enough torment, what have you discovered?

• Haha 2

Haha thanks for the support all, much appreciated :laugh: :cheers:  

I'm fairly certain it was just the condensation now as I've had to, for the first time in 3 cars, scrape ice off the *inside* of the windscreen this morning. :eek: 

(It was a bit of a benny hill moment as I cleared the outside, got in then realized I still couldn't see through the windscreen!! :wacko: :laugh:  Even the AVAS was complaining it couldn't see for the first few miles!)

I don't know where all this moisture is coming from - I guess lots of cold wet air must have gotten into the car while they had the windscreen off or something, as I've never had such bad condensation; Even had to wipe down the inside of the back window too!!

It's just amazing how much moisture I managed to soak up; I think I could have wrung out the cloths I used to fill a small water bottle! :laugh: 

After reading that Aygo thread, I think I might have to check the wheel well on the weekend too, just in case that's full of water!! :eek: :laugh: I didn't order the swimming pool pack option for this car so hopefully it's clear...!

Anyway, hopefully that's most of it gone - Will have to see how it looks tomorrow...!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

they could clean the windscreen and dashboard after the installation a that can be the source of moisture.

• Like 1

I noticed a fair bit of moisture on the inside my windscreen not long after delivery.  Regular cleaning with rubbing alcohol and microfibre cloths seems to have done the trick.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sod's law! My 'screen's produced a foot long crack immediately in front of the steering wheel. Insurance company tell me I have to use Autoglass (ten miles away) to claim on my insurance and then it'll only cost me £75! Autoglass use pattern 'screens. I'l be making some calls tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

12 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

Sod's law! My 'screen's produced a foot long crack immediately in front of the steering wheel. Insurance company tell me I have to use Autoglass (ten miles away) to claim on my insurance and then it'll only cost me £75! Autoglass use pattern 'screens. I'l be making some calls tomorrow.

Sorry to hear that happened to you too. 
Autoglass should be able to travel 10 miles and fit the glass at your place. They use Pilkington glasses and to exact spec of the car. For some reason on older models they tend to fit them higher than original glass and the windscreen poke out of the roof line a bit. Happened to me and another member with Avensis. He went to Toyota dealer for proper installation of new oem windscreen afterwards. 

• Like 3

That sucks :sad: Hopefully you won't have to go through the dog and pony, elephant, seal, killer whale etc. show I had to go through to get mine replaced!! :laugh: 

Hopefully your Mk3 doesn't have all the ADAS stuff the Mk4 does and they'll be able to send someone down to do it at your house/place of work, otherwise you'll likely have to book it in at one of their fitting centres (Really a glorified mobile home :laugh: )

I'd recommend you make absolutely sure they have the glass in stock or you'll be lead down a similar road they took me on which had me with that cracked windscreen for 3 months and through 2 snow falls!!

(If they don't have the glass in stock and have no lead time, tell your insurer and hopefully they'll let you go down the 3rd party route like mine did, then you can Toyota to do it!). I think that'll be less likely with the Mk3 as that's been out a while you'd think they have glass for it, but you never know!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

always worth remembering this windscreen has an acoustic layer. my previous mk3 had a screen replaced and it had more wind noise after the change. Autoglass knew nothing of this specification as did a Toyota dealer - strange as its a a boasted feature in the marketing blurb.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, STEVEBE said:

always worth remembering this windscreen has an acoustic layer. my previous mk3 had a screen replaced and it had more wind noise after the change. Autoglass knew nothing of this specification as did a Toyota dealer - strange as its a a boasted feature in the marketing blurb.

They probably haven’t fix it correctly and left a gap between the car body and the windscreen seal. Typical for them. We had that on one of ours and was a disaster, even wind chill could be felt inside at speeds and the noise of regenerative braking was like the motor was inside the dashboard, so loud. Acoustic windows reduce noise by tiny bit that almost impossible to notice difference but air gap changes everything. 

• Like 2

definitely water/air tight as I tested the same as when I was an engineer. I have had tiny pinholes in headlights cause a terrible drone. The additional noise was mainly engine - I can't imagine Toyota would go to an acoustic screen unless there was a value add (maybe) who knows.

• 7 months later...

Hopefully I’m alright to post here instead of creating a new topic…

Windscreen got cracked last weekend. Had to drive 40 miles to my closest National Windscreens for replacement today. Got car back and drove home but I’m getting a constant crackling/popping noise from the top of the windscreen. 

Is this something that will go away I.E. bonding hasn’t settled correctly yet? Or has it been installed incorrectly? 🙃

The screen will be an integral part of the body and contributes towards the stiffness and strength of the bodyshell. Suspect there is an issue with the fitting.

• Like 1

Just been back out in it and it seems more and more like the black box that is connected to the mirror which is on the screen. 

Assuming they have to take this off to replace the screen and perhaps hasn’t been put back on correctly? 

• Like 1

It could be misplaced/misaligned and rubbing against the headliner. Contact them, as the work is guaranteed so they should fix it at no extra cost.

16 minutes ago, Cyker said:

It could be misplaced/misaligned and rubbing against the headliner. Contact them, as the work is guaranteed so they should fix it at no extra cost.

I have done now. I’m a 80 mile round trip from my closest centre (had to do this today) but I’ve requested they come out to me as I don’t fancy having to do the same trip and have to take more time out of work. Will see what they say when they get back in touch. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tangerine91 said:

I have done now. I’m a 80 mile round trip from my closest centre (had to do this today) but I’ve requested they come out to me as I don’t fancy having to do the same trip and have to take more time out of work. Will see what they say when they get back in touch. 

I suspect you'll be lucky. I had my front 'screen replaced earlier this year and was told it was a two hour job. Partly to let the sealant harden, but mainly because that's how long it took them to set up the auto dipping headlights/auto lights/ adaptive cruise control/auto wipers etc.

All they had to do on mine was stick the rear view mirror back on!

• Haha 3

I had it on a RAV once where immediately after fitting it creaked really bad on the way home.  It was fragments of glass that were trapped at the bottom of the window and the facia.  This is down to how diligent the fitter is.  As it was I traded it a few days later but I seem to remember it did get better with time.  Yours could well be something rubbing at the top.  It’s why I’m never in a hurry to let spotty Eric loose with my car.  I’d put up with cracks and marks that didn’t interfere or fail MOT rather than get it changed.  There’s good and bad in everything but I seem to get Eric on more than my fair share of times.  

• Like 3

On 12/17/2022 at 1:09 PM, Cyker said:

Update: Autoglass have lost my windscreen in the system somewhere and cancelled my appointment on the 19th to replace it!

They can't tell me if it was ordered but it's definitely ordered now but is on backorder with no ETA. Yay! Driving around with a 1.5foot crack in my windscreen is *just* what I wanted for Christmas!

Also, because this has gone on so long, my insurance with the company this started under has expired so smeg knows how that's going to affect this. I'm still going to call them to see if they will let me go a different route, as I was at Toyota today* and they have them in stock with a 3-4 day lead time!

*It turned out it wasn't really about the finance, but they just wanted to buy my car off me and put me on a new finance at a lower monthly, but as they don't make HUD-equipped Yarisesisesus any more I politely declined. Apparently Toyota are currently "throwing gobs of money" at dealers to get peoples old cars and put them in the queue for new ones on finance so this may be useful knowledge to someone after a good deal!

What is HUD

Head-up display; Basically projecting some dash information on the windscreen so you don't need to look down or refocus your eyes closer to see e.g. speed.

• Like 2

Couldn’t get anyone out until today but the noise just suddenly stopped whilst driving home on Saturday night from the football. Everything seems fine now. 

They suggested it was the bonding still settling but I couldn’t believe how bad the noise was. Never heard anything like it on other cars when I’ve had the windscreen replaced. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Tangerine91 said:

Couldn’t get anyone out until today but the noise just suddenly stopped whilst driving home on Saturday night from the football. Everything seems fine now. 

They suggested it was the bonding still settling but I couldn’t believe how bad the noise was. Never heard anything like it on other cars when I’ve had the windscreen replaced. 

Me thinks they are waffling!   I thing the bits that were catching have worked their way out.  It’s amazing how much the windscreen adds to the rigidity of the vehicle.  It’s like gluing the ends on a cardboard box but the whole vehicle twists as you go over bumps.  

• Like 3

21 hours ago, anchorman said:

Me thinks they are waffling!   I thing the bits that were catching have worked their way out.  It’s amazing how much the windscreen adds to the rigidity of the vehicle.  It’s like gluing the ends on a cardboard box but the whole vehicle twists as you go over bumps.  

On that matter I wonder if Toyota cars like yours with solid glass panoramic roof will have stronger bodies ? My car when going up my driveway flexes and I can hear the plastics next to the rear left seat backrest are squeaking. 
For the windscreen seal, when I had mine replaced they left a larger gap better the window and the roofline, so I put my fingers there and that seal was ultra soft, and with the time has become harder. Two three days to fully hardened. 👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

On that matter I wonder if Toyota cars like yours with solid glass panoramic roof will have stronger bodies ? My car when going up my driveway flexes and I can hear the plastics next to the rear left seat backrest are squeaking. 
For the windscreen seal, when I had mine replaced they left a larger gap better the window and the roofline, so I put my fingers there and that seal was ultra soft, and with the time has become harder. Two three days to fully hardened. 👍

A lot of cars have a bar through the pan roof to meet rollover requirements but the Cross didn’t so I guess it is rigid enough without.  It’s surprising how much cars flex when they are moving.  On some cars, if you lift them off the ground, the doors won’t open 😳

• Like 2

2 hours ago, anchorman said:

It’s surprising how much cars flex when they are moving.  On some cars, if you lift them off the ground, the doors won’t open 😳

And some had the back window fall out (Allegro, allegedly). My daughter had an Estelle and that body flexed all over the place. Roll stiffness was something I think Skoda didn't consider at the time. It didn't seem to affect the handling and I wondered if it actually helped it.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links