Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris cross still a rare sight

Primus1

56 minutes ago, Jimota said:

Travelling from the Margaret River Wine region back towards Perth, Western Australia, decided to stop at the Crooked Carrot for a coffee.  On returning to the car park, I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw a Yaris Cross Hybrid parked next to my on loan Saab 93 1.8T convertible.  Have seen quite a few Crosses but this is the first hybrid model that I’ve encountered. Since driving the Saab I’ve been getting some strange looks from some of the male Aussie drivers.  Maybe the number plate will give you a clue as to the reasons why.  I now drive with the hood up.

A005A3C3-2F4B-443B-8A5B-C09A783DAD65.jpeg

Nice 👍 

What were the tyre size, look more appropriate than the uk models? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jimota said:

Travelling from the Margaret River Wine region back towards Perth, Western Australia, decided to stop at the Crooked Carrot for a coffee.  On returning to the car park, I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw a Yaris Cross Hybrid parked next to my on loan Saab 93 1.8T convertible.  Have seen quite a few Crosses but this is the first hybrid model that I’ve encountered. Since driving the Saab I’ve been getting some strange looks from some of the male Aussie drivers.  Maybe the number plate will give you a clue as to the reasons why.  I now drive with the hood up.

A005A3C3-2F4B-443B-8A5B-C09A783DAD65.jpeg

Are there much difference driving in Aussie and New Zealand than the UK? Been wanting to visit there for a long time. 

• Like 2

I think they have the same tyre sizes depending on the model that you select.  Driving in Australia is much the same as in the UK but there are some important points that you have to appreciate.  On a a 3 lane highway, you can choose whatever lane you want but be aware that overtaking and undertaking is the same thing.  My main criticism is that a driver can hog the outside lane for miles under the speed limit and the other drivers undertake at a higher speed in the middle and inner lanes.  You always have to check your near side mirror and look over your shoulder for cars in your blind spot but other than that driving in Western Australia is pretty stress free in comparison to the UK.  This is my 10th visit to Australia and enjoy it every time I go on holiday.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 3/10/2023 at 7:17 PM, YarisHybrid2016 said:

More safety equipment, too. RCTA is awesome. The only reason I spec'd the City Pack on the GR.

Yep, warned me of a cyclist in my blind spot recently when reversing. Conversely, what's the name of the system that bogs you down just when you need some oomph to turn left into a busy road with cars approaching? That seems to be over cautious for my liking, but I do realise that's often where  accidents happen.

• Like 3

I have that semi-frequently in mine, usually when turning right across a T-junction. It turns what would have been a safe emerge into a sketchy one, as it thinks I'm going to crash into the car that's just passed (And is now long gone) and prevents any acceleration for a couple seconds until it realizes there's nothing there. Meanwhile the next car is now a lot closer than it would have been if it did what I told it to...!

I'm pretty sure it's the PCS (Pre-Collision system) that is responsible for it...

It has forced me to accelerate slower out of the turn, reducing the safety margin to the next car, and skip gaps that I would have made easily in the Mk1, Mk2, even the gutless Fiesta!

• Like 2

PCS. They call it "AEB Car-to-Car" detection. It uses the front corner SONAR sensors to look into the direction of turn for objects approaching. EuroNCAP have some good video of the system in testing.

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/toyota/yaris/40747

• Like 1

I think it's actually the camera pod and radar that monitors for that, as most of the Mk4's don't have sonic sensors at the front AFAIK, but otherwise yes!

On 3/14/2023 at 2:40 PM, Max_Headroom said:

I wonder if the top places are for the owners etc.

You can see the lower car park in the picture below.

nnnnnnnnnnre.JPG

Yes that was the car park Max, thanks 👍

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Cyker said:

I think it's actually the camera pod and radar that monitors for that, as most of the Mk4's don't have sonic sensors at the front AFAIK, but otherwise yes!

My bad!

• Like 1

I went in Sainsburys the other day at Hazel Grove and there were 4 including mine.  There’s at least 5 close to my house.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Yes!! They're everywhere!! :eek: 

I think they're starting to outnumber normal Mk4's here, at least if you ignore driving school cars (Seriously, why are so many independent driving schools gravitating to Mk4s??)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cyker said:

(Seriously, why are so many independent driving schools gravitating to Mk4s??)

For the same reason all the members here own them.

• Like 2

I have seen some YC, though not too many. The MK3 hybrid is the most popular automatic driving school car. So the transition to the even better MK4 is inevitable, like myself i will be moving onto the MK4 as it is an upgrade to the functional but limited MK3. 

• Like 2

It’s happened again!  Another Yaris Cross hybrid parked beside me, this time in Jarrahdale, Western Australia.  Uncanny, as Jarrahdale is a remote small hamlet in a conservation area.

55B7F6EA-4417-4621-A5F6-DDEE17FCC141.jpeg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Jimota said:

It’s happened again!  Another Yaris Cross hybrid parked beside me, this time in Jarrahdale, Western Australia.  Uncanny, as Jarrahdale is a remote small hamlet in a conservation area.

55B7F6EA-4417-4621-A5F6-DDEE17FCC141.jpeg

Shut the back door....now that is spooky  huh

• Like 2

On 3/10/2023 at 7:28 PM, Cyker said:

It's the brightness war - The silly thing it makes things harder to see; Pedestrians and cyclists have no chance once it gets dark. Even bike lights and reflectors are just lost in a sea of super-bright LEDs. There are a couple of cyclists who might owe their lives to the BSM in my wing mirrors as I was in traffic and waiting to turn right, and despite checking my mirrors and blind spots I never once saw them, and the first I knew of them was when the BSM lit up and beeped at me and I nearly jumped as they shot past me out of nowhere! Thankfully most cyclists understand the significance of turn signals and tend to go round the other side of you, but there are always those chancers...

I have to say even the base spec Toyotas have very good specs - They even come with all the level 2 self-driving stuff as standard! But with the prices so high (25k for a Yaris! A YARIS!! :eek: :wacko:) I can see the higher trims just being out of reach for sane sensible people.

If I hadn't been trying to save for an EV for the past decade I wouldn't have been able to buy my Mk4!

In Manchester city centre,  the deliveroo bike riders are exclusively black, wear black clothes and never have lights.  I think deliveroo should either tell them, no light no job or provide lights for them.   They have no concept of the rules of the road and will ride on the wrong side or just turn off right across the road.  They rarely stop for red traffic lights.  It’s only a question of time before one of them gets hurt or causes an accident.   

• Like 2

Yeah I don't get why riders just gravitate to being dressed like the Disaster Area stuntship from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy*

If I was on a bike I'd be dressed like Elton John in that Muppets sketch so nobody could say they didn't see me! :eek: :goof:

*For those of you that haven't read HHGTTG (And why haven't you?!?! Go do it!!) - 

"This was a ship with a classic, simple design, which was about twenty yards long and shaped like a flattened salmon. It was admired by Zaphod and Ford when they saw it parked outside Milliways, as it was very clean, very sleek, and completely black. It was so extremely dark that it was hard to make out the shape, and it was almost impossible to tell how close you were standing to it. Zaphod commented that the light "seemed to fall into it", and Ford said that his eyes seemed to slide off it. Zaphod repeatedly attempted to reach out and stroke the outside of the craft and feel the surface, however his hand was stopped, as it was totally frictionless. Zaphod called it "one mother of a mover".

Marvin was able to touch the surface of the ship and open up an entry hatchway, and the interior of the ship was completely black. There were black controls labelled in black, on a black background, with a little light that lit up black, which made it difficult to control the ship. The ceiling and walls of the swaying cabin were also black, as well as the seats, control panel, the instruments and the little screws that held them in place. The thin tufted nylon floor covering was black, and when a corner of the foam underlay was lifted up that was also discovered to be was black."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The front radar on the Mk4 is behind its nose, sorry front Badge - used by the cruise and TSS systems

124915238_xp210frontradar.thumb.jpg.105232dc4fb5b5514b0f544ce5bdeb44.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, flash22 said:

The front radar on the Mk4 is behind its nose, sorry front badge - used by the cruise and TSS systems

124915238_xp210frontradar.thumb.jpg.105232dc4fb5b5514b0f544ce5bdeb44.jpg

You mean under the Badge on the grill?

57379F4F-60B6-462A-A6CC-65656DF2E032.png

• Like 3

well being pedantic it's just below the Badge, bolted to the rear of the grille

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday i saw another new yaris cross parked near my house. 
The color was normal white but no hybrid. Higher trim,because of tinted rear windows and 18 inch wheels. Forgot to take picture:/

• Like 1

That’s definitely the best colour in the cross🫣, that’s what I’ve ordered, saw a silver one tonight on the way back from the chippie, I quite like that colour too, but swimbo didn’t, hence the grey…..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

rrrrrrre.thumb.JPG.f8bf6066754407db1349255f9f6cebd6.JPG

This you?   A close friend has just got a cancelled order in Decuma.  It’s coming to me for towbar and electrics, dash cams, mudflaps and sound deadening.  I’ll post photos at some stage.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, anchorman said:

This you?   A close friend has just got a cancelled order in Decuma.  It’s coming to me for towbar and electrics, dash cams, mudflaps and sound deadening.  I’ll post photos at some stage.  

I wish, not even built yet…😭

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links