Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2024 MY Yaris update

dave hendy

2 hours ago, anchorman said:

The dealer sent YOU an ultimatum?   I’d have told them to shove it.  Do you mind saying what AF charged?

£640.

Was way more than I was wanting to pay but some glitch in the matrix didn't allow anybody online to quote me.

Trouble with telling them to shove it, as I really wanted to do, is that the dealer is under no obligation to return the deposit of you change your mind.

Probably could have wangled a way of getting them to cancel the contract on their side but I'm worn out with it all so couldn't be bothered with another fight 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Dick_Dastardly said:

£640.

To be fair, that is not bad? The cheapest I'm getting so far for an all singing, all inclusive fully comp policy is Admiral Gold at £606. Hope that helps you to feel better... (my current policy with Ageas for my Launch Edition is running at £577/yr)

Was way more than I was wanting to pay but some glitch in the matrix didn't allow anybody online to quote me.

I'm getting some funny results again this morning but only on 2 of the comparison sites...

Trouble with telling them to shove it, as I really wanted to do, is that the dealer is under no obligation to return the deposit of you change your mind.

That is something I've never been asked to do, pay a deposit to secure an order...

Probably could have wangled a way of getting them to cancel the contract on their side but I'm worn out with it all so couldn't be bothered with another fight 

Completely understandable.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bob66 said:

Would like to hear both sides of this story, the dealer does seem to be impatient?

Strange one about AF, they are middle men, and as such tout you around to 30 different insurance underwriters, so you would think one of the compare sites would have been able to help, any medical issues must be a big red flag though?

The details are posted throughout the previous pages of this thread.

In summary

- vehicle initially uninsurable due to no companies recognising the model. Dealer didn't believe this and insinuated I didn't know what I was doing.

- I provided the dealer with evidence of what other dealers had done, e.g. Stoneacre Teeside, and discovered that Toyota had not informed the insurers about the new model in time

- At the beginning of this week 2 companies started quoting, but at ridiculous price levels e.g. £1500+ for me, £2000+ for others

- My dealer then contacted me and said that as the car was no longer uninsurable I needed to go ahead and insure it with this company. I advised them that I wouldn't be paying a financial penalty for Toyota's mistake and that I needed to wait until I could get quotes from a range of companies at a reasonable price level. They informed that I should expect to pay more for insurance because it's a limited edition model

- They also informed on Tuesday that they couldn't keep holding the vehicle and that I needed to make my decision by the end of the day. I refused to be bullied and held to ransom.

- Got the same ultimatum yesterday but fortunately most insurers had come onboard by then so prices were available at more normal levels 

- There is still an issue in the insurance market as online providers are refusing to quote on this vehicle for anyone on a 3 year licence. This is not normal as I can obtain good value car insurance every year and have done for much more expensive and powerful vehicles than this in the past 

Contrast my experience with "CPN"s dealer who has investigated the issue with Toyota, understood the problem and worked with him until it was resolved

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CPN said:

To be fair, that is not bad? The cheapest I'm getting so far for an all singing, all inclusive fully comp policy is Admiral Gold at £606. Hope that helps you to feel better... (my current policy with Ageas for my Launch Edition is running at £577/yr)

No it's not eye watering but I still think it's expensive for the vehicle. Given that I paid £300 last year for a 155bhp Puma I would have expected something between £400-£500  given the price rises.

But it is what it is. All I asked of the dealer was for them to allow me to wait until a range of insurers had quoted so that I could understand what a fair price for the car is.

If that fair price is more than I hoped for well then that's my issue to deal with, which I did immediately

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dick_Dastardly said:

No it's not eye watering but I still think it's expensive for the vehicle.

I tend to agree with you but it is what it is I guess.

Given that I paid £300 last year for a 155bhp Puma I would have expected something between £400-£500  given the price rises.

Fair point.

But it is what it is. All I asked of the dealer was for them to allow me to wait until a range of insurers had quoted so that I could understand what a fair price for the car is.

If that fair price is more than I hoped for well then that's my issue to deal with, which I did immediately

Indeed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dick_Dastardly said:

All I asked of the dealer was for them to allow me to wait until a range of insurers had quoted so that I could understand what a fair price for the car is

And they waited, didn't they ? There's always more than one side to a story.

20 minutes ago, Bob66 said:

And they waited, didn't they ? There's always more than one side to a story.

I think that your definition of "waited" is a little unusual

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Dick_Dastardly said:

I think that your definition of "waited" is a little unusual

Unusual ?   I thought that the dealer waited,(as in time went by) from Monday until Thursday, when you managed to get your car insurance, which was proving difficult, without the added complication of a 3 year medical licence ?  I'm sure the dealer has a tale to tell too, I always like to hear both sides.  I'd be surprised ...if you were to name said dealer ?

I don't think it counts since they were threatening him and piling on pressure unnecessarily...

CPN's dealer is much more in-line with what should have happened - That sort of patience and understanding is just good customer service. The way DD's dealer behaved sound like the stereotypical once-they-have-your-money-they-DGAF kind of dealer that ruins the image of all other dealers.

I do think that insurance is high, although you do live in Surrey so that may be partly to blame :laugh:  Just living anywhere near London seems to jack the price up of everything...

If it makes you feel any better it's about 670 with AF/Markerstudy for my Mk4 Excel, but that's with 7k miles+7k business miles, key and hirecar cover, and my mum, for a London post code. (If I insure the same at my brother's address, who lives in the middle of nowhere, it would have been half that! :crybaby:)

And what's that bumpf about the Premiere being a limited edition car?? Is it going away next year like the Launch edition did or something?? Or was that just more BS from that dealer... :g: 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/21/2024 at 3:20 PM, Dick_Dastardly said:

Finally got insurance but had to do it through Adrian Flux.

Couldn't get anything reasonable online despite the bulk of insurers quoting today.

More than I wanted to pay but got sick of filling in insurance details and seeing no results so just needed to end the stress.

Dealer sent me an ultimatum to get it sorted today 🤔 I'm hoping that there'll be a customer satisfaction survey to complete as that will be so much fun to complete and they won't like the comments 🙂

Picking it up on Monday 

Hi.

Glad we could help out with your insurance.

Regards,

Dan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob66 said:

Unusual ?   I thought that the dealer waited,(as in time went by) from Monday until Thursday, when you managed to get your car insurance, which was proving difficult, without the added complication of a 3 year medical licence ?  I'm sure the dealer has a tale to tell too, I always like to hear both sides.  I'd be surprised ...if you were to name said dealer ?

I got insurance the same day as the bizarre situation with the 3 year licence surfaced. So no delays were experienced because of that, just extra cost to myself 

It's Jemca Croydon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi.

Glad we could help out with your insurance.

Regards,

Dan.

No worries. You've come up trumps for me a few times previously when I had my Focus RS so knew I could rely upon you

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, Cyker said:

threatening him

Don't be silly....that's a bit over the top ?

2 minutes ago, Bob66 said:

Don't be silly....that's a bit over the top ?

It never got to fisticuffs. But this is Croydon so anything is possible 😃

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Dick_Dastardly said:

It never got to fisticuffs. But this is Croydon so anything is possible 😃

I'm perhaps a little more guarded, careful and would want to be able to back up any statements, especially any made about a dealer...they do read this forum too. The "threatening" statement made earlier, is so very stupid, especially since we've only heard one side , of the problem...and it's second-hand information at best.

Are you listening, Jemca of Croydon !  🙂

Maybe I misunderstood, but the word "ultimatum" was used, which implies a threat of some sort; I assume that they'd try and charge a storage fee or some other punitive tactic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob66 said:

I'm perhaps a little more guarded, careful and would want to be able to back up any statements, especially any made about a dealer...they do read this forum too. The "threatening" statement made earlier, is so very stupid, especially since we've only heard one side , of the problem...and it's second-hand information at best.

Are you listening, Jemca of Croydon !  🙂

Which threatening statement?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, anchorman said:

Which threatening statement?

The one within the thread, where "threatening" was mentioned ?

1 hour ago, Bob66 said:

The one within the thread, where "threatening" was mentioned ?

Are you always cantankerous?  There must be more than one because the last one is yours.  I just wanted to see what your point was but can’t be (that word I know you hate) trawling through dozens of posts.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Cyker said:

I don't think it counts since they were threatening him and piling on pressure unnecessarily..

If you don't read the posts, how can you comment on them ?

Cyker has admitted, he was assuming / misunderstood , so has in essence backtracked?

And what has my demeanour to do with you ...be careful or admin will delete your comments again!  🙂  🙂 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Bob have you had any Battery issues with your cross excel having power boot heated steering wheel etc 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Countryside said:

Bob have you had any battery issues with your cross excel having power boot heated steering wheel etc 

I don't ...only because I keep the Battery on permanent trickle charge, when I'm not using it.  I think that I could have Battery problems, as the charger seems to be working hard , after a short run out.  I have a Premiere Cross on order, so to pre-empt , any  potential future problems, will consider changing the 12v Battery , for higher capacity , and improved quality ...for £70+ ...It'll help curb 12v battery anxiety.  Hope this helps. 🙂 

• Like 2

Many thanks when do you pick up your premier cross ?

14 hours ago, Cyker said:

Maybe I misunderstood, but the word "ultimatum" was used, which implies a threat of some sort; I assume that they'd try and charge a storage fee or some other punitive tactic.

You have been made out to be weak for backtracking 🤣

• Haha 2

Ok, that will be us picking up the Blue Demon on April Fools day!! :yahoo:

(not sure if that's good or bad 🤣)

Eventually went with Admiral Gold for £606/yr. With the £255 refund from this car, that means our next year's insurance will be costing us £351/yr effectively. 🤩

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links