Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Are Yaris' just noisy cars?

clonzana

Got a 2017 Yaris Hybrid, and there is quite a lot of wind and road noise, especially at motorway speeds. Is it just a noisy car generally, as I know it's not exactly a typical motorway cruiser, I'm just being a bit anal about the sound now, i.e. have to raise my voice quite a bit to speak to a passenger whilst at 70mph plus.

3 minutes ago, clonzana said:

Got a 2017 Yaris Hybrid, and there is quite a lot of wind and road noise, especially at motorway speeds. Is it just a noisy car generally, as I know it's not exactly a typical motorway cruiser, I'm just being a bit anal about the sound now, i.e. have to raise my voice quite a bit to speak to a passenger whilst at 70mph plus.

Its economic car

They do seem to have gotten noisier with each new generation!

My Mk4 sounds like it has a window open!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, clonzana said:

Got a 2017 Yaris Hybrid, and there is quite a lot of wind and road noise, especially at motorway speeds.

I have noticed at motorway speed the road noise is there but to be honest my last car (Corsa) was no better to be honest having read a few reviews before buying  i wasn't expecting the Yaris to be quiet, i haven't noticed wind noise so may change tyre brand to see if i can quieten it down a little.

I only really hear it when the other half stops talking so not often on a long motorway drive  😉

• Haha 6

Road noise or just tyre noise? its tyre noise I hate but just on some roads not all roads.

• Like 2

My Mark 4 is one of the quietest cars I’ve ever driven or owned. In comparison the my wife’s 2015 1ltr Yaris the difference is huge. I have no complaints about noise, maybe that’s because my wife is seldom a passenger 😁. Having said that I have driven over 70 mph on the motorway on the odd occasion and it is not a really noisy car.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

My Mark 4 is one of the quietest cars I’ve ever driven or owned. In comparison the my wife’s 2015 1ltr Yaris the difference is huge. I have no complaints about noise, maybe that’s because my wife is seldom a passenger 😁. Having said that I have driven over 70 mph on the motorway on the odd occasion and it is not a really noisy car.

Totally agree with everything you said, Bernard. I don't understand why anyone thinks the Yaris is a "noisy" car.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CPN said:

Totally agree with everything you said, Bernard. I don't understand why anyone thinks the Yaris is a "noisy" car.

I do 200 miles a day commute in mine - it’s like being in a military aircraft. Fancy joining me for a day?

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, clonzana said:

I do 200 miles a day commute in mine - it’s like being in a military aircraft. Fancy joining me for a day?

Not if you drive the way I imagine! 🤣

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, CPN said:

Not if you drive the way I imagine! 🤣

I’m a very boring driver really, 65mph on average. Maybe I need to get the windscreen resealed or seals replaced. 

• Like 2

I don't know if it's because there is less background engine noise making it more noticeable, but I do feel my Mk4 is pretty noisy.

The engine is fairly quiet unless I give it the beans, then it can get quite raucous.

Wind noise isn't too bad.

Road/tyre noise is pretty high and very dependent on road surface - It has a tinnitus-inducing roar on the concrete-slab sections of M25, but where they've laid this new kind of tarmac it's whisper quiet. Tyres also make a noticeable difference (Well, so far based on a statistical sample set of... 2...)

I suspect there is some sort of air gap somewhere letting sound into the car - As mentioned above I can hear a lot more external sound than I have experienced in any previous Yaris, and I'm always tugging on the window switches thinking I've left a window open! :laugh:  It's particularly noticeable when I'm driving past Smart Motorway constructions (Yes, the ones they're supposed to have stopped constructing...) where they have those concrete barriers - The sound reflection off those is very pronounced. It could also be the lack of sound insulation and paper-thin door skins too I suppose...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, clonzana said:

I’m a very boring driver really, 65mph on average.

Same as me then and at those speeds, I find my Mk4 to be the most relaxing quietest drive I have ever driven (apart from a Rolls but that's a whole other story...).

2 minutes ago, clonzana said:

Maybe I need to get the windscreen resealed or seals replaced. 

I have wind deflectors on all my windows and usually have my driver's window ajar if I am vaping and it's still quieter than my GT86 (with the inboard sound effects off).

• Haha 3

Have you owned the car from new? If not could it have had some accident damage repair that left panel gaps creating noise?

• Like 1

I've noticed in when I go in my mother's 2019 Icon Tech as a passenger, a fair bit of whooshing noise from the passenger door, at first I thought it could be the window was not up all the way, but trying the window switch, it was up as far as it would go, so I think the door seal rubber stripping may well not be sealing against wind ingress as well as it should be. I think its worse than in my own car, which is 4 and a half years older. Maybe the newer Mk3 models had a different type of rubber used in the door seals, I dont know, but yes, I have noticed the wind noise is more significant in the 2019 model, and it only has 9000 miles on it as well, so must have been like it from new.

I do notice a fair bit of road noise in my car though, depends on the road surface, some roads are much worse than others, so it cant be really blamed on the tyres, but my car does now have budget tyres fitted all round, so maybe cheap tyres do add to the noise.

One of the worst parts of the Mk3 does seem to be the exhaust system itself, and on the 1.33 Icon, the system does not seem to have any meaningful muffler at the rear of the car, just a tiny absorption "bullet" silencer, which is so small it doesnt really make much difference to the noise the car makes. It really does sound like a car with a badly blowing exhaust when started up and idling at fast idle. I dont know why Toyota chose to make them this loud, maybe to increase performance, or decrease fuel consumption I dont know, but I would have prefered a larger muffler to quieten the car down a bit. I think the Hybrid does actually have a proper size muffler at the rear, so it can be done, just not on the 1.33 petrol variants, and nor so it seems on my mothers car either, which has the later 1.5 engine, but also has a similar size, if not a little larger bullet silencer on the rear section. This is the only Yaris I have had that I have thought the exhaust was too loud, with the Mk1 and Mk2 both having proper size rear mufflers on them.

• Like 4

Adding sound deadening to the doors and boot helps, budget or old tires can roar a bit of bonnet deadening wouldnt go a miss

the gearbox in the hybrid is a buzzy at speed but if you keep out of the throttle it's better

• Like 2

i added some sound proofing to both the outer and inner door skins, plus a little in the tailgate.  Its definitely made mine quieter (Mk 1 t sport) and not too difficult to do.

• Like 2

I can't say the 1.33l Mk 3 is a noisy car. A bit of noise depending on the road surface. That has reduced since having a set of Falken tyres fitted to replace the original Dunlops.

I have fitted some sound deadening to the boot floor and the spare wheel well. Whether that has had much effect, the jury is out.

Being a C.V.T., the engine can become a bit raucous if trying to accelerate hard, trying being the key word.:rolleyes:

8 hours ago, Stevie J said:

One of the worst parts of the Mk3 does seem to be the exhaust system itself, and on the 1.33 Icon, the system does not seem to have any meaningful muffler at the rear of the car, just a tiny absorption "bullet" silencer, which is so small it doesnt really make much difference to the noise the car makes. It really does sound like a car with a badly blowing exhaust when started up and idling at fast idle. I dont know why Toyota chose to make them this loud, maybe to increase performance, or decrease fuel consumption I dont know, but I would have prefered a larger muffler to quieten the car down a bit.

I've a pre-facelift MK3 with that tiny rear silencer. I quite like the raspbery type sound when I start it from cold in the garage. It soon goes as the car warms up and the revs drop.

• Like 3

Something to do with the windows and door seals imo or the construction of the doors. In Avensis forum people are sharing that applying silicone sealant to particular area of the small glass on the front doors made a significant difference in wind noise intrusion. 
If you have a wind noise like it’s coming through slightly open window perhaps try to find the exact source of the problem and the you can work out a solution. Cleaning all rubber seals nicely  and then applying some silicone lubricant wd-40 silicone or similar may help , if not at least you know you have started from A and it’s good for general longevity of the rubber seals.
I treat all rubber seals on my car twice a year and the car is  quiet like Lexus or Mercedes and the doors never stick when freezes cold. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, CPN said:

I don't understand why anyone thinks the Yaris is a "noisy" car.

We have a MY22 and don't think it is noisy. Like @TonyHSD, I treat all the door seals on our cars regularly. I'm due to do the Yaris within the next few weeks. Might even do it today, as it's a quiet day at work 😀

I did notice that ny new C-HR is quieter than my previous one. As others have suggested, this may have something to do with seals and wind noise

• Like 3

18 hours ago, CPN said:

Same as me then and at those speeds, I find my Mk4 to be the most relaxing quietest drive I have ever driven (apart from a Rolls but that's a whole other story...).

I have wind deflectors on all my windows and usually have my driver's window ajar if I am vaping and it's still quieter than my GT86 (with the inboard sound effects off).

You compare Rolls wit this.. cmon , drive VW Polo and you will see what is quiet , or Renault Clio.. Yaris MK3 is for sure one of the loudest car in class. The one saying otherwise didn't drive other cars. It's loud

In what way is it loud?

I find mine mk3 hybrid not particular loud. Yes there is noise from the tires rolling but engine noise is damped and not intrusive.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nasamorpheus said:

Yaris MK3 is for sure one of the loudest car in class. The one saying otherwise didn't drive other cars. It's loud

As i said earlier its loud at motorway speed but my Corsa was no better,  at 50mph its fine and when on longer journeys i rarely dont listen to  music so its not a big issue, if you want to travel at 70 - 80 mph for long periods and only want to hear the clock tick dont buy a base model car!  😉

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JCT-DK said:

In what way is it loud?

I find mine mk3 hybrid not particular loud. Yes there is noise from the tires rolling but engine noise is damped and not intrusive.

Couldn't agree more.

• Like 1

The loudest thing in a Rolls-Royce was - my watch!

Well, not now - I can't hear my Omega Speedmaster - but that may have more to do with my hearing 😀.

Interestingly, Toyota state that the Y Cross has a noise reduction layer on the windscreen, make of that what you will. And the RAV 4 PHEV has laminated side windows at the front as well as additional sound deadening on the bulkhead - it is quite quiet.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links