Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Are Yaris' just noisy cars?

clonzana

I don't think that's the glass being thinner, but the door skin - It's much thinner metal than on previous Yarisuesueasesises, but look at it this way - You'd have to pay Porsche or Lamborghini thousands for this sort of weight-saving! :laugh: 

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I don't think that's the glass being thinner, but the door skin - It's much thinner metal than on previous Yarisuesueasesises, but look at it this way - You'd have to pay Porsche or Lamborghini thousands for this sort of weight-saving! :laugh: 

Yup, and you wouldn't have the confusion of your radio being on - it would have been binned to save weight too 😂

• Haha 2

On 7/7/2023 at 7:23 PM, Cyker said:

Most of the noise in mine is definitely from the road - Whenever I go on this new type of tarmac they've been laying here, it's suddenly so quiet it's like someone pressed the mute button

Experience of driving in the EU confirms this: the roads I encountered were almost uniformly smooth surfaced and thus minimal road noise. The engine is actually decently quiet unless you're working it very hard, on a cruise it settles to a quiet background 'burr' and there's not too much wind noise at 60-65 mph type of speeds

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

I have a 2018 Yaris, highway road noise is increasing and becoming annoying.  I changed to new tires with some improvement but in certain speed on certain road conditions the road noise is still annoying.  Anyone has ideas to reduce this.

On 7/4/2023 at 8:14 PM, Lawnmowerman said:

The loudest thing in a Rolls-Royce was - my watch!

Well, not now - I can't hear my Omega Speedmaster - but that may have more to do with my hearing 😀.

Interestingly, Toyota state that the Y Cross has a noise reduction layer on the windscreen, make of that what you will. And the RAV 4 PHEV has laminated side windows at the front as well as additional sound deadening on the bulkhead - it is quite quiet.

That’s only if you have the factory windscreen. OR, a genuine Toyota replacement or Pilkington (or whichever brand is used on the Yaris new).  

you need this logo to show it’s made with the acoustic properties that Toyota had in mind when designing the car 

IMG_1457.jpeg

• Like 2

Change to a mk4, it has acoustic front screen and engine noise has reduce also - it plays a part, I had a 2016 so can talk from experience. 

Some sound insulation mat. 

• Like 2

After six months of ownership I recently traded in my Yaris Cross for a VW T-Cross 1ltr DSG, didn't bother with a test drive as I have owned two Seat Aronas, much the same car, collected the VW and in the first mile or so I thought I had gone deaf, the VW is so much quieter than the Yaris Cross. There is tyre noise but the engine is almost silent, also much quieter when driving enthusiastically, wind noise is acceptable at all speeds, the Yaris Cross had me thinking I had left a rear window slightly open, I understand the next upgraded Yaris Cross will have improved soundproofing and it needs it !! lets hope Toyota also upgrade the cardboard carpets and boot liner            

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tommy X said:

After six months of ownership I recently traded in my Yaris Cross for a VW T-Cross 1ltr DSG, didn't bother with a test drive as I have owned two Seat Aronas, much the same car, collected the VW and in the first mile or so I thought I had gone deaf, the VW is so much quieter than the Yaris Cross. There is tyre noise but the engine is almost silent, also much quieter when driving enthusiastically, wind noise is acceptable at all speeds, the Yaris Cross had me thinking I had left a rear window slightly open, I understand the next upgraded Yaris Cross will have improved soundproofing and it needs it !! lets hope Toyota also upgrade the cardboard carpets and boot liner            

Speaking as someone with a long history of VAG products ( I've had VW, Audi, Seat & Skoda-sadly not Bentley or Lamborghini!)

I know exactly where you are coming from as regards quietness and perceived build quality although after one too many drivetrain faults most recently with a 2018 MK7.5 GolfR with DSG issues I wont be revisiting.

I'd sooner the development budget went into the drivetrain rather than soft touch dash plastics and sound deadening- although the GolfR was remarkably quiet when broken down at the roadside🤣

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

18 minutes ago, Tommy X said:

That’s German engineering in a nutshell: chrome rings around the air vents, sound deadening material everywhere to give the impression of a premium car.  

Not sure how good VWs petrols are… but if it’s a diesel you’ll suffer with all sorts of complications from over-engineered engine design choices into old age that’ll cause anybody in the right mind to cut their losses and sell it on.   

and Audi… let’s just say ‘soft touch’ plastics are still plastic 🤷‍♂️ 😂 not premium. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Tommy X said:

upgrade the cardboard carpets and boot liner

Toyota aren’t the worst for this.  my old Fiat’s had far, far thinner carpets than any modern Toyota.  If Toyota’s is cardboard (as in a box) then those were thin as the cardboard in a cereal box.  

However it’s all cost saving. 

Overheard a conversation between two neighbours of mine a few years back.  A guy had an old 2000s Passat with issues, traded it for an older Civic.  I heard them remarking ‘how much better built the German cars were’ referring to how quiet they felt to drive.. the sound of the door shut.  DESPITE both of them having had serious engine issues with their VAG cars.  

Toyota obviously have a reputation to maintain so money has to go where it’s needed; the engine and engineering.  VW’s model is very much trying to keep up that illusion of premium through things like superficial noise suppression and ‘nice feeL’.  Its business model works. Lots of sales.  So does Toyotas, also lots of sales.   Just comes down to what kind of customer you are and what you value. 

• Like 4

Well in this report which at long last includes older cars, the only anomaly is Mini but you can only buy petrol autos in the US.  It says what I’ve been advocating about other brands including VW and Volvo.  I was in the motor industry for 29 years and mending cars since leaving school.  

• Like 3

As most members here have been long term Toyota/lexus owners, we pretty much know the top 2 brands, so no surprise there! Hearing some members thinking of going away from Toyota because of 12v Battery issue, well good luck. 

Only brand when it comes to upgrade from a Toyota would be a lexus. Actually eyeing up the lexus ux250 if needed a bigger car, the YC premiere will cost too much for such a small car.

Screenshot_2023-12-11-17-02-28-686_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.c505610598148e799e3418181dc7779e.jpg

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, anchorman said:

Well in this report which at long last includes older cars, the only anomaly is Mini but you can only buy petrol autos in the US.  It says what I’ve been advocating about other brands including VW and Volvo.  I was in the motor industry for 29 years and mending cars since leaving school.  

I take issue with Mini and BMW. 

They are so anti-consumer, they make outright poor and reckless design choices to hurt customers and their cars after the early 2000s are seemingly incapable of gracefully reaching over 200k miles without major uneconomical rebuilds or replacement parts. 

Because of their wisdom, it costs £3,400 to have a timing chain replaced on BMW engine Toyota models.  “Lifetime chain” might as well also be a German engineering buzzword because it’s a fairytale. Best explanation I can find is that they put the chain at the back because it dampens vibration…. Really? … 

Absolutely doubt that they could honestly achieve anything but bottom quarter in reliability.  That’s not to say it’s cars don’t have any merits, they’re fun and fast and turn heads and BMW doesn’t need to care about anyone except the first buyer. But it’s certainly not the view most Toyota / Lexus car owners would have. 

• Like 1

On my recent trip Bulgaria I had a chance to try as passenger and also drive many different cars. I started with my Auris hybrid 2010,, then a Mercedes’ E class 2016, then a Passat estate 2001 petrol, then a Mercedes c class diesel 2001, then a brand  new Megan RS 300bhp, Peugeot 307 petrol 2007, then Auris hybrid TS from 2014 and at the end airbus A321 ceo. 
What a nice drives, flights and overall experience, especially on the airbus and the Megan RS. 
You won’t believe it but from the bunch the Passat beats them all for quietness, refinement and materials. The car dives also the best of all, almost as fast as the Megan , or at least made me feel that way.
This car from that era is 10x better than any recent Toyota of similar size , honestly and much better than both Mercedes. 
The worst of all was the 307, followed by my Auris. , the Auris estate was surprisingly quiet, I believe the fella had all season tyres on , as there was literally no tyre noise at all, no engine noise , but just annoying wind whistle that was coming from the b pillar, near the seat belt or doors corners around this area., anything else was almost as quiet as the Passat , the Passat new somewhere I will buy it and keep it for life. 👌

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

As most members here have been long term Toyota/lexus owners, we pretty much know the top 2 brands, so no surprise there! Hearing some members thinking of going away from Toyota because of 12v battery issue, well good luck. 

Only brand when it comes to upgrade from a Toyota would be a lexus. Actually eyeing up the lexus ux250 if needed a bigger car, the YC premiere will cost too much for such a small car.

Screenshot_2023-12-11-17-02-28-686_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.c505610598148e799e3418181dc7779e.jpg

I’ve just gone from a YC to a UX but while you do get astonishing build quality with any model, to be fair it will cost quite a bit if you want a higher spec.  I watched a German report on the LBX and the panel gaps eclipse those I had on the Cross bonnet. They were even but the ones on the bonnet weren’t as small.  I’ve just put a set of new second hand sport wheels on my UX.  

IMG_0026.jpeg

• Like 6

I still don't get how Mini keep getting so high in the charts - Every one I know who's had one has had loads of annoying problems with them! :confused1:

The whole progression has been interesting to watch over the decades - When I was half my current age, japanese and german brands both had a reputation for nice comfy cars that were reliable, but at some point they diverged and the german cars got increasingly lovely and opulent to be in, but had a corresponding decrease in reliability, to the point now where even their old reputation for reliability isn't really there any more, while the japanese brands started declining to more and more 80's Ford-levels of refinement, but kept up their levels of reliability.

Interestingly the french haven't changed much - They're still quite fun cars with usually some bananas design feature which is either total genius or mind-bogglingly daft that only appears on that one instance of the car, and also random inexplicable electrical problems :laugh: 

• Like 4

I watched Matt Watson from carwow reviewing the new RR velar, seemed awfully cheap for a car costing 80k…

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Primus1 said:

I watched Matt Watson from carwow reviewing the new RR velar, seemed awfully cheap for a car costing 80k…

I thought Range Rover was very much a fashion item (the original Chelsea tractor I think), so I'd expect it to be priced somewhat higher than reality.

• Like 1

Would be very unwise for anyone with some car knowledge to choose a RR over a Lexus. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Definitely only for the more money than sense crowd; The insurance alone is insane now because they get stolen so much!

• Like 2

I suppose a big lottery win could see one on my drive but once out of warranty I’d get shot of it, mind you, I’d have to test drive a Lexus…

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

Would be very unwise for anyone with some car knowledge to choose a RR over a Lexus. 

I had to smile at the opticians yesterday.   They even put drip trays under LR glasses in case they leak oil!

IMG_0022.jpeg

• Haha 10

5 hours ago, Primus1 said:

I suppose a big lottery win could see one on my drive

I might buy one just to post video on YouTube of it being crushed into a cube. That'd get some clicks 🙂

• Haha 2

It’s been an interesting topic this about the “noisy Yaris”. So from my own experience, I am a volunteer driver taking people to hospital for treatment and home again, often journeys of 100+miles. A large percentage of these people have been very impressed by the technology, comfort, and quietness of the Yaris. All are car owners but not allowed to drive because of the medication. I don’t need a better recommendation than that, so I’ve ordered another for 2024. “Noisy Yaris” is a myth in my humble opinion.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links