Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Stability problem, toyota Corolla

GasGas

I have a Toyota Corolla HB/TS 2.0 MY23 and I have a stability problem when driving on mixed roads in the city and province.
Suddenly the steering stiffens and I have the sensation of driving on tracks, this generates distrust in the stability of the vehicle resulting in a state of apprehension.
The significant differences between the MY19 model that I previously owned and the current one are in the stability management entrusted to the Safety sense 3.0 system.

Anyone have this problem?

Thanks everyone in advance

That sounds like the lane departure warning system intervening because it has detected you crossing a line in the road without indicating.

Assuming that this is what's happening it's not a problem, just the vehicle doing what the engineers told it to.

It can definitely be disconcerting to have the car make unexpected steering or braking inputs though.

I would recommend having a good read through the section in the manual on advanced driver assistance systems. It's a long read, but it describes what they're supposed to do, when they're supposed to do it, when they might not work as intended and (importantly) how you can turn them down or off if you don't like them.

• Like 3

Hi Don Mac, thanks for the reply, today I read the manual but there is nothing written about the driving assistance systems but I tried to deactivate LDA (lane departure alarm) and now everything works. I don’t think this system can be used in the city, I think Toyota made a mistake because this system turns on automatically even if it was deactivated after the car was turned off and then on again.

Yes indeed. The lane departure alert is the only 'driver aid' you can't permanently turn off.

My start procedure is: left centre, down, long press, short press, return, return.

51 minutes ago, GasGas said:

I think Toyota made a mistake because this system turns on automatically even if it was deactivated after the car was turned off

Actually Lane Keep Assist, which is the next step up from Lane Departure Warning.

The re-activation isn't a mistake as the default is 'on'.

Hi Don Mac, thanks for the reply, today I read the manual but there is nothing written about the driving assistance systems but I tried to deactivate LDA (lane departure alarm) and now everything works. I don’t think this system can be used in the city, I think Toyota made a mistake because this system turns on automatically even if it was deactivated after the car was turned off and then on again.

Hi RabButter, are you happy driving in the city with LDA active?

29 minutes ago, GasGas said:

I am.  Generally in the town there are few lanes and those usually at lights.  Indicate correctly and there is no issue. 

• Like 1

Even with the Toyota Corolla TS 2.0 MY19 that I owned before I had no problems with the LDA system, I think it depends on the new Safety sense 3.0 system

On 10/29/2023 at 7:30 AM, GasGas said:

No. Like I said above, I turn it off when I start the car.

• Thanks 1

I read the operating manual carefully and on page 520 it does not say that the LDA system is automatically enabled like for example PCS which reports *: The system is automatically enabled each time the power switch is turned to ON.
It is certainly a programming error because it is not possible to drive in the city with LDA enabled. 

Unfortunately I haven't found a way to communicate with the R&D department, if anyone knows how, he can report it in this discussion.

I personally don't like LDA, however lane departure (people not concentrating, falling asleep etc) is one of the biggest causes of accidents, that is why it cannot permanently be disabled. I am now in the routine of pressing the button to turn it off every time I start the car

• Like 2

Me neither, it's like suddenly driving in tram lines or something when it kicks in, and it doesn't understand that sometimes there *are* situations where you want to cross the line (e.g. parked vehicles or ambulances passing). At least it isn't too much effort to override it, and I'm used to it enough I can add it to my list of psychic powers of predicting when it's going to try and steer me into a parked car or pedestrian or something :laugh: 

However I do love LTA (They've been repainting road markings recently and it's made it so much more abusable in traffic! :biggrin:  ), and since it's both or nothing I'm kinda stuck with it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Having just purchased my Corolla 6 was ago, I had to get used to it, I now find it reassuring,  it is a very light nudge on the wheel

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/31/2023 at 11:45 AM, Parts-King said:

I personally don't like LDA, however lane departure (people not concentrating, falling asleep etc) is one of the biggest causes of accidents, that is why it cannot permanently be disabled. I am now in the routine of pressing the button to turn it off every time I start the car

What with having to deactivate the LDA, activating the Brake Hold etc - & I'm sure there's something else. it's a bit of a faff. Toyota want to learn to let people decide for themselves. It would hardly be a stretch to have these things permanently On or Off. 

25 minutes ago, MarkJames said:

. Toyota want to learn to let people decide for themselves. It would hardly be a stretch to have these things permanently On or Off. 

That will not improve accident rates, when you turn something off permanently then it serves no purpose. The reason it is fitted is it is one of the most common causes of accidents, lane drift, with people falling asleep or not concentrating. Imagine having ABS and stability control and you turn it off because you didn't like the feel of the pedal that time you did any emergency stop  🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, MarkJames said:

Toyota want to learn to let people decide for themselves. It would hardly be a stretch to have these things permanently On or Off. 

At the end of the day, it is legislation that is driving the requirement for these additional systems, not the manufacturers, and in time there are going to be more of these systems required on cars.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It isn't legislation driving this! On other brands you can turn the lane assist features off permanently. This is a decision somebody in Toyota has made. I'm sure that in a small number of potential incidents this type of technology would prevent an accident, however for many other situations, the steering doing something you don't expect, or that feeling of it fighting back - if only a little - can be off-putting or distracting. 

It should be the driver's choice whether to have this on or not, without the further distraction of having to switch it off at every start up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MarkJames said:

It should be the driver's choice whether to have this on or not, without the further distraction of having to switch it off at every start up.

Well it isn't.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, MarkJames said:

It isn't legislation driving this!

It is, from Aug 22, but under a whole host of other safety features. Look, I agree, I don't like it, you don't like it, but there is no good having a safety feature that you can turn off permanently. I still see people on here wanting to know how to turn off seat belt warnings 🤷‍♂️ Everyone wants the best rated cars for safety, but if you could turn off air bags, ABS, seat belt warnings, some weapon would do it 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

The early adopters added it because you needed all that stuff to get a high EuroNCAP score, which is a big boost for sales, and a lot of those were disable-able.

However, the EU have got a bee in their bonnet and made a lot of that stuff mandatory, as they are on an admirable but idiotic quest to reduce road deaths to zero, as if that's realistically achievable without pretty much banning all vehicles. (Or maybe they just want to eliminate deaths but severe maiming is acceptable...?) The mandatory ones are generally not disable-able and have to be explicitly turned off each time by the driver, which in newer cars also gets logged in the ECU.

I don't like a lot of these aids, as anyone that benefits greatly from them should probably have their license taken away, but instead it's just going to put more and more bad drivers on the road who are leaning on the tech to cover their inadequacy.

I'm already feeling my driving ability getting worse as I'm e.g. relying on the sensors more instead of my eyes, and letting the car do more of the driving as I mess about with the head unit or something. It's really hard to force yourself to not use the tech there and not do these things...

Even things like reverse parking - I was very good at that before, but I've become much worse at it in the Mk4 because the sensors make me second-guess my own judgement. When I had the Icon as a courtesy car, which has no sensors, I suddenly found I could park in much tighter spaces again!

I can turn my lane departure system off permanently in my 2019 TS

dont know if it would work but I saw a you tube video from a driving instructor Ashley Neal who used a plug in diagnostic device on his VW Golf which defaulted to lane departure on to turn it off by default

12 minutes ago, Swanthecat said:

I can turn my lane departure system off permanently in my 2019 TS

dont know if it would work but I saw a you tube video from a driving instructor Ashley Neal who used a plug in diagnostic device on his VW Golf which defaulted to lane departure on to turn it off by default

I hope he told his insurance company. That sounds like just the sort of mod that would allow your insurance company to wriggle out of paying.

• Like 1

I can turn mine off too with a button on the steering wheel, and it stays off - it remembers the last state. 

• Like 1

It can be dangerous on narrow road or streets if you’re not used to it. But on wider roads and motorways it’s works well and is a good safety feature especially on long distance driving runs.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links