Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12v battery maintenance, issues, etc.

FROSTYBALLS

16 hours ago, Tonycu said:

Apparently  the usb leads from your phone to the car  need to be data transfering  not a charging lead ,so a year on still learning about the Yaris

Does the data cable also charge the phone?

28 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

Mine does 😊

I went for an Anker cable after reading recommendations..

8 minutes ago, Jasper. said:

Mine does 😊

I went for an Anker cable after reading recommendations..

Thanks, can you give us a link.

3 hours ago, Roy124 said:

AFAIK all cables charge, only some carry data too.

7 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

Yes mine does ,I use the lead that came with my phone moto G 22 after trying various other leads without success

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tonycu said:

Yes mine does ,I use the lead that came with my phone moto G 22 after trying various other leads without success

1 minute ago, Joby1 said:

Hello all,

Please can you tell me which NOCO power pack is the best to get for the Yaris hybrid - I’m on my 8th breakdown due to the v12 battery…… I started this thread in Jan 2022 when it Battery died for the first time. 
Thanks

joby1

• Sad 1

Change the Battery, someone will advise on the noco. 

• Like 2

I have the Noco GB40 but it's overkill really and the GB20 should be more than up to the job.

• Like 3

Thanks Jasper. 
Mojo 1010 - I’m on my 3rd Battery and going back and forth with the dealership.
Think getting a NOCO is my only solution as solar charger supplied by Toyota has solved the issue.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Sorry, that should say - solar charger has not solved the issue. 

• Like 2

It might be better to consider getting your own one, the quality of the Mutlu is very questionable. 

Screenshot_2023-11-03-08-30-33-180_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.a01053c58de2d4282283acacb109c3c5.jpg

• Like 3

Did anyone try putting lighter socket in the trunk area instead of the Battery cover in the back seat? 

Fun fact - just measured my Battery voltage of the daily driven 6 month old Yaris. It was 11.7v 🙂 and after charging it with smart charger it finished after putting around 4.5Ah of capacity, so the Battery should be considered dead (around 15% of design capacity) 

12 hours ago, Joby1 said:

Hello all,

Please can you tell me which NOCO power pack is the best to get for the Yaris hybrid - I’m on my 8th breakdown due to the v12 battery…… I started this thread in Jan 2022 when it battery died for the first time. 
Thanks

joby1

Sorry to hear of your continuing problems. The answer to the penultimate sentence of your original post was probably "yes" if you don't fit the hybrid owner profile. 

re. the jump starter, the hybrids don't need large amounts of current to start, just enough to power on the computers long enough for them to activate the traction Battery contactors (Basically high voltage relays), so the cheapest/lowest powered jump starter would be fine.

I got a Noco GB20 from Halfords and, after charging it up, just leave it in the car. I haven't had any issues with my 12v, but I drive the car very regularly, but it's nearly 3 years old now so I'm hedging my bets!

re. replacing the 12v Battery, as others have mentioned above, it's a bit pointless getting a replacement from Toyota as they just give the same Battery which will eventually develop the same problem if nothing else changes (e.g. how the car's used or a trickle charger); We're starting to think maybe those Mutley batteries are just not very robust and prone to high degradation.

So far, everyone that's replaced it with the Yuasa that Mojo lists above seems to have not had the problem reoccur.

• Like 2

Many thanks Chas and Cyker. I’ve ordered the NOCO 20 from Halford and just going to collect it now (friend giving me a lift of course!) hopefully that will get me going in the morning once it’s charged up. Thanks re the Battery recommendation too. 
Jo

• Like 2

Just to say. I do good mileage, driving my car almost everyday and the dealer agrees my mileage is not the cause ….. Heyho. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Joby1 said:

Just to say. I do good mileage, driving my car almost everyday and the dealer agrees my mileage is not the cause ….. Heyho. 

Buy a BM2 Battery monitor with bluetooth tooth to your phone so you can be alerted if the Battery low.

https://youtu.be/kMkTCnaozw8

Cost about £25 and connect across the Battery.20231220_085814.thumb.jpg.a028abfb1a2f6f394d2c66781db749a8.jpg

• Like 2

Just some notes: 

Yesterday we drove 150 miles and almost 4 hours.  Today 2 short trips about 20 minutes each.

I just plugged in my OBD reader.  It gave Battery voltage around 12.35v and SOC of 75%.  I plugged in the charger.  The SOC immediately rose to 100% and the indicated voltage began increasing towards the CTEK 14.7v setting.

I also checked my inexpensive Chinese jumper pack.  I can't remember when last I checked,  probably September  or October.  I got 4 LED which shows a capacity better than 75%

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chas G said:

Buy a BM2 battery monitor with Bluetooth tooth to your phone so you can be alerted if the battery low.

https://youtu.be/kMkTCnaozw8

Cost about £25 and connect across the battery.20231220_085814.thumb.jpg.a028abfb1a2f6f394d2c66781db749a8.jpg

The only downside with that is it adds to the drain on the Battery, so something to be aware of!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Cyker said:

The only downside with that is it adds to the drain on the battery, so something to be aware of!

Would a drain of 1.5 mA be something to worry about?

Specifications:
Input Voltage: 6V-20V
Average Current: 1.5mA
Operating Temperature -40 to 90℃
bluetooth Range: 10 Meter
Product Dimensions: 5.5 x 3.5 x 1.6cm
Voltage Accuracy: (9-16V) ± 0.03V
bluetooth Name: Battery Monitor
App Keyword: BM2

I bought one of these a week ago and it measures accurately when compared to my Multi Meter readings.

LITZEE 2 in 1 Voltmeter and Thermometer, Digital Display Car Battery  Voltage Temperature Gauge Monitor Tester Meter, DC 12V 24V

BM2 measures the voltage even after the engine is turned off and the car is locked.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links