Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

🎄SEASONAL DRINK TO CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEAR 🎄

Bper

Blimey, that is some price for a pint.

Just wish I was fit enough for another trip.

I reckon if I could,I would seek out the rural places that I remember.

• Like 2

@Rhymes with Paris

Pity you do not feel fit enough for another trip Paul - any chance of coming over in Summer? However, what I will do when I do the shopping is I will get some cans of Guiness and then, over Christmas, open two - one for you and one for me. I will probably have to drink yours as well, as it will only go flat waiting for you to arrive. 😁

• Like 3

15 hours ago, dannyboy413 said:

@Rhymes with Paris

Pity you do not feel fit enough for another trip Paul - any chance of coming over in Summer? However, what I will do when I do the shopping is I will get some cans of Guiness and then, over Christmas, open two - one for you and one for me. I will probably have to drink yours as well, as it will only go flat waiting for you to arrive. 😁

Well, certainly cannot travel ATM, but spring and summer my breathing usually improves a bit, it would be a marvelous thing if I was able to visit again.

In the meantime, cheers for the Guinness 🍻 and I shall get a bottle over here, maybe we can synchronise opening them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

I shall get a bottle over here, maybe we can synchronise opening them.

Let me know what time on which evening. :beer:

• Like 2

I have bought a bottle of original Guinness today David.

So how about Friday 22 December at 8.00 PM.

Not quite the same as draught I know, but it will bring back memories of proper Guinness , poured with care ie order it, then sit down and wait a bit,in the place where it's meant to be drunk.

During the trip with my dad,we went into a pub at lunchtime for a bite to eat.

Got a pint, then an influx of girls from the local factory came in,all white starched blouses and obviously hungry.

They all got a potato, spring onion and cabbage dish,is that colcannon?

So we hung back until the factory girls had all ordered, and asked for the same, with another pint of course.

As always when in a unfamiliar place, it pays to order what the locals are having, I always note where the workers are going, it's usually fresh and good.

And so it proved.

• Like 4

On the subject of Guinness many year ago I worked at the Guinness brewery in Acton for a few months on refurbishments. I was told that the Guinness in Ireland was better then over here.

Whilst I have had a few pints over the years I am not a great lover of it. However I did try it in Ireland and didn't notice any difference. I have always wondered if it is true. Perhaps someone who is a regular Guinness connoisseur can confirm.😀

• Like 3

Its a completely different drink Bob, IMO, although I am far from a con es sewer 😁.

The Guinness here is a bit watery in comparison, and poured in a hurry,ie they think it has to be poured in one hit.

The draught in Ireland is poured slowly and with care, they pour the first half and let it settle a while, then top it slowly to finish with the lovely creamy head.

That's why you have to order it in advance to do it properly.

In my beer drinking days, it went down so easily in Ireland, and tasted lovely.

Whereas the draught I have had here it has been underwhelming at best,a one pint option.

• Like 2

@Rhymes with Paris

Friday at 8pm should work for me Paul - I was going to say that I will get a pack when I do the shopping on Friday, but then I realised shops are not allowed to sell it until 10am! But no worries, my wife works in a shop and I collect her at 4pm on a Friday! 🍺

@Bper

Draught always seems better than a can or bottle, but whichever way, it still goes down nice. Paul is correct when he describes the pouring process, the glass always seems to be half to three quarters filled in a pub and then left for a short while before being 'finished'. 😊

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Its a completely different drink Bob, IMO, although I am far from a con es sewer 😁.

The Guinness here is a bit watery in comparison, and poured in a hurry,ie they think it has to be poured in one hit.

The draught in Ireland is poured slowly and with care, they pour the first half and let it settle a while, then top it slowly to finish with the lovely creamy head.

That's why you have to order it in advance to do it properly.

In my beer drinking days, it went down so easily in Ireland, and tasted lovely.

Whereas the draught I have had here it has been underwhelming at best,a one pint option.

6 minutes ago, dannyboy413 said:

@Rhymes with Paris

Friday at 8pm should work for me Paul - I was going to say that I will get a pack when I do the shopping on Friday, but then I realised shops are not allowed to sell it until 10am! But no worries, my wife works in a shop and I collect her at 4pm on a Friday! 🍺

@Bper

Draught always seems better than a can or bottle, but whichever way, it still goes down nice. Bob is correct when he describes the pouring process, the glass always seems to be half to three quarters filled in a pub and then left for a short while before being 'finished'. 😊

7 minutes ago, dannyboy413 said:

@Rhymes with Paris

@Bper

Draught always seems better than a can or bottle, but whichever way, it still goes down nice. Bob is correct when he describes the pouring process, the glass always seems to be half to three quarters filled in a pub and then left for a short while before being 'finished'. 😊

Hi David, My wife brought a bottle of Guinness west Indies porter a while ago  it says on the bottle brewers source 1801 St James Gate Dublin. Have you ever tried this.😀

Not sure I have even seen the West Indies Porter - will have to look out for it.  Your comment about 1801 had me thinking, as I always thought Arthur Guinness had the St James site much earlier. It looks like the site was obtained in 1759 and the Porter was first brewed in 1801.

• Like 1

The Guinness brewery in London closed in the early 2000's, and all UK Guinness has since been brewed in Dublin. 

image.thumb.png.7d05f6e0618ca542dd8207d096327d7e.png

• Like 2

Saw the West Indies porter for sale today when I got a bottle of original.

Not tried it,so don't know the taste.

Would you like to join for a virtual drink on the 22nd Bob?

Back to topic however, it's not wise to mess around or to ride electric scooters,or indeed powerful motorcycles under the influence of Guinness,or any other alcohol.

A gf's son in law was showing off his two stroke something in a barn in rural Ireland, revving the hell out of it.

If he had kicked it into gear , the results could have been horrendous.

Luckily not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The Guinness brewery in London closed in the early 2000's, and all UK Guinness has since been brewed in Dublin. 

Just worked out it was about 1979 when I worked there, I had just finished my electrical apprenticeship and at that time it was customary to be thrown out soon after into the big wide world. The company I joined was working on the Guinness brewery Toucan inn which was being converted into a computer centre. Those where the days when a whole room was taken up with large disc drives and tape drives.

Today one laptop would probably do the whole job. The funny thing was we were allowed two free bottles of Guinness a day as contractors. I used to save them up in the week and take them home to my mum who loved the stuff. I also used to take the contractors cards from the guys who left and ended up with a hesian bag full every week. I had to hide them in the back of the van to get through security.

Can you imagine that happening today.😀

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Saw the West Indies porter for sale today when I got a bottle of original.

Not tried it,so don't know the taste.

Would you like to join for a virtual drink on the 22nd Bob?

Back to topic however, it's not wise to mess around or to ride electric scooters,or indeed powerful motorcycles under the influence of Guinness,or any other alcohol.

A gf's son in law was showing off his two stroke something in a barn in rural Ireland, revving the hell out of it.

If he had kicked it into gear , the results could have been horrendous.

Luckily not.

I would be happy to join you both on Friday at 8pm for a virtual drink. If anyone else would like to join in I am sure they will be very welcome to. 👍😀🥃🍷🍸

14 hours ago, Bper said:

Hi David, My wife brought a bottle of Guinness west Indies porter a while ago  it says on the bottle brewers source 1801 St James Gate Dublin. Have you ever tried this.😀

Yes, the West Indies Porter is worth trying.  I'd also recommend Midnight Sun porter, brewed in Alloa, it's not widely available, but the bigger Tesco stores in Scotland sell it.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Gren said:

Yes, the West Indies Porter is worth trying.  I'd also recommend Midnight Sun porter, brewed in Alloa, it's not widely available, but the bigger Tesco stores in Scotland sell it.

Hi Ken,

Just mentioned this to my wife and her eyes lit up but not sure if they do it here.:smile:

8 hours ago, Bper said:

If anyone else would like to join in I am sure they will be very welcome

👍😀🥃🍷🍸

Keep this up and we can have a right old party! 😊🍻

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, dannyboy413 said:

Keep this up and we can have a right old party! 😊🍻

Hi David, it is your party, so if you have enough room then post an invite to all members who wish to attend. It will have to be a bring your own bottle but thinking about it they will have to drink it themselves.:laugh:

Why not? It's Christmas, well, nearly. All welcome - drink your own. 😄

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bper said:

Hi Ken,

Just mentioned this to my wife and her eyes lit up but not sure if they do it here.:smile:

I think you can get it mail order from a few places, including direct from Williams Brothers who brew it.  PS. I'm not connected with them, just enjoying their product!

• Thanks 1

On 12/16/2023 at 6:33 PM, Rhymes with Paris said:

I have bought a bottle of original Guinness today David.

So how about Friday 22 December at 8.00 PM.

Not quite the same as draught I know, but it will bring back memories of proper Guinness , poured with care ie order it, then sit down and wait a bit,in the place where it's meant to be drunk.

During the trip with my dad,we went into a pub at lunchtime for a bite to eat.

Got a pint, then an influx of girls from the local factory came in,all white starched blouses and obviously hungry.

They all got a potato, spring onion and cabbage dish,is that colcannon?

So we hung back until the factory girls had all ordered, and asked for the same, with another pint of course.

As always when in a unfamiliar place, it pays to order what the locals are having, I always note where the workers are going, it's usually fresh and good.

And so it proved.

Old adage!! Never eat in an empty restaurant at lunchtime 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dannyboy413 said:

Why not? It's Christmas, well, nearly. All welcome - drink your own. 😄

Well, actually that is a grand thing , to drink a toast to the friends we have made on here.

The ones with families to keep them company could take a minute to say cheers.

And those of us who may be on our own, can take comfort in knowing that some goodwill is going around.

Even the southern softies who drink Chardonnay spritzers could join in 😉.

Look forward to seeing ( or indeed reading) you all on Friday at 8.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Bearing that in mind and the kegs must then be imported from Ireland and returned, do you reckon the difference is in how it's kept?

Obviously no difference in the canned and bottled.

Or maybe it just doesn't travel well .

Not had a pint of it here in England for a while now, so maybe the draught is as good as over there.

Do you like Guinness?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Do you like Guinness?

Yes, usually drink Guinness when having a night out and not driving. Otherwise, if driving, it's alcohol free beer/lager/cider.

Police locally seem quite hot on drink/driving. Often have summer drink/drive stops on the main road our cul-de-sac leads off.

• Like 1

Aye, there is a large range of alcohol free beers, wines and spirits in pubs and restaurants now I understand.

I see them in the supermarket , but don't go out to pubs at night now, just for a lunch now and again.

Maybe you could get a bottle or can of original for Friday .

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links