Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How to permanently disable excess speed notification?

Beefstah

On 2/1/2024 at 11:21 PM, Beefstah said:

the disaster that is MyToyota - especially the 'Profile not syncing' error that plonks itself across the screen on top of everything else every few minutes -

Not had a problem since January and trip data appearing in minutes.  I can't say how many minutes but usually available after I have finished my 'arrival' routine. 

8 hours ago, louiselee said:

I'm looking to buy a new yaris, would I be better getting the 2021 model? 

Thanks 

Louise 

I wish I had purchased the older model just got the gr sport hybrid thought i was going mad every time i turned the beep off and it came back the next day it drives me mad every time it beeps

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/15/2024 at 10:28 AM, Loanwheeler said:

Just out of interest. I have turn off the pings relating to this discussion, opting for visual notification of exceeding speed limit only. My only question follow this is what is the difference between “above speed limit” and “overtaking” ? 

I believe the RSA feature also recognises the no overtaking sign and will nag you if you try to do so. 
But good to know that you can permanently switch to visual notification only - that would be easier to live with.  The RSA feature is not really good enough to recognise when sighs only apply to a sliproad or a roadabout exit you are NOT taking.  And the roads infrastructure is not good enough to avoid these "misunderstandings".

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TerminalOversteer said:

I believe the RSA feature also recognises the no overtaking sign and will nag you if you try to do so. 
But good to know that you can permanently switch to visual notification only - that would be easier to live with.  The RSA feature is not really good enough to recognise when sighs only apply to a sliproad or a roadabout exit you are NOT taking.  And the roads infrastructure is not good enough to avoid these "misunderstandings".

Some folks saying that even switching to visual only warning on the new model is not permanent. It switches back.

Could do with a definitive answer.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nick72 said:

Some folks saying that even switching to visual only warning on the new model is not permanent. It switches back.

Could do with a definitive answer.

For my car:

I can switch the speed limit change notification to visual only, permanently. 
The over-speed notification (speed>limit+1) can be temporarily changed to off/visual only, only when the car is stopped, and returns to visual and audible after each car start. 
If you want to turn this off whilst in motion - say on motorway with next junction 100 miles away - you can toggle the main RSA function off from the settings menu (up,up,up,up,toggle) but then you get a red warning on the dash, and no speed limit notifications at all (!).

It's the biggest issue so far for me for this car, which ultimately is not that big issue, and eclipsed by how many other things are so brilliant about it. 
Shame really. I'm hoping for a software 'fix' to enable the over-speed tolerance to be changed, but I'm not holding my breath..

• Thanks 2

There are so many issues with the road signs themselves being wrong - concealed by vegetation, angled to wrong one seen, and limited hours school zones being seen out of hours.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, P_J said:

For my car:

I can switch the speed limit change notification to visual only, permanently. 
The over-speed notification (speed>limit+1) can be temporarily changed to off/visual only, only when the car is stopped, and returns to visual and audible after each car start. 
If you want to turn this off whilst in motion - say on motorway with next junction 100 miles away - you can toggle the main RSA function off from the settings menu (up,up,up,up,toggle) but then you get a red warning on the dash, and no speed limit notifications at all (!).

It's the biggest issue so far for me for this car, which ultimately is not that big issue, and eclipsed by how many other things are so brilliant about it. 
Shame really. I'm hoping for a software 'fix' to enable the over-speed tolerance to be changed, but I'm not holding my breath..

Totally agree with you - so many good things, but ‘nanny state’ mentality with the so called safety features.

Out of interest -

With the LTA, is there a way to switch it off permanently, or at least each journey?

I have it set to vibration alert only as audible just annoys me as much as the RSA chimes !

Anything affecting my choice of road positioning, like overtaking a parked car on an otherwise deserted road is simply not a safety feature, IMHO.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Simon, yes.  I think they hope that you will get used to it.

In practise you won't bother/remember if it is a short trip to the shops.  You then find it such a PITA that you accept it.

However there will be so many false alerts it will drive you nuts.

Everyone will have to bombard the officials, Highways, Councils, shopping park owners, MPs to get the proper signage in place.  EVERYTIME.

• Like 3

I'm on a 2021 R4P and it doesn't do smart motorway or other gantry type signs. Since I travel a lot on the motorways on business I was kind of hoping that the 2024 R4P can recognise these signs (I upgrade cars to the GR Sport R4P in September as my 3 years with the current car are up). If it can't recognise them then that itself will be interesting.

5 minutes ago, Nick72 said:

I'm on a 2021 R4P and it doesn't do smart motorway or other gantry type signs ...

Interesting - my 2020 HEV does. Or to be more precise, it recognises the imposition of a lower limit but rarely the removal of same ... 😉

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, philip42h said:

Interesting - my 2020 HEV does. Or to be more precise, it recognises the imposition of a lower limit but rarely the removal of same ... 😉

Interesting. 

On 4/24/2024 at 1:12 PM, louiselee said:

I'm looking to buy a new yaris, would I be better getting the 2021 model? 

Thanks 

Louise 

My Yaris 2023 is visual alert permanently for the speed limit. It would be really bad if 2024 cars cannot set it to visual permanently.

4 hours ago, Nick72 said:

I'm on a 2021 R4P and it doesn't do smart motorway or other gantry type signs. Since I travel a lot on the motorways on business I was kind of hoping that the 2024 R4P can recognise these signs (I upgrade cars to the GR Sport R4P in September as my 3 years with the current car are up). If it can't recognise them then that itself will be interesting.

4 hours ago, philip42h said:

My Yaris does intermittently.

Interestingly, it seems to notice gantry signs more often when it's raining, but then it thinks a 60mph sign is 80mph soooo definitely needs work still :laugh: 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

My Yaris 2023 is visual alert permanently for the speed limit. It would be really bad if 2024 cars cannot set it to visual permanently.

I'm afraid that that is exactly how it is unfortunately! 😢

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, CPN said:

I'm afraid that that is exactly how it is unfortunately! 😢

It’s really annoying me!  One mile over the limit and off it goes. Even worse when it’s wrong because it’s picked up aside street sign. I shout at it but it doesn’t listen 😡

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I feel your pain Shelagh, I feel your pain...😢

• Like 2

I've just joined the forum having recently taken delivery of a new 24 plate Corolla TS.   Spotted this discussion as have found the subject items a general pain.   First post...

Spent quite a lot of time wrestling with manual and TSS set up.   Most of it is OK, to be fair.  Exceptions, for me, are LDA and RSA (specifically, the speed warnings).    The LTA I can take or leave, according to road type and mood, but it is simple to enable/disable with the steering wheel button. 

Being a 24 MY car, the RSA defaults to 'on', and the speed warning resets to audio and visual, every time the car is started.   Which I wouldn't mind if it was always correct but, inevitably, it isn't.   The 'change of speed limit' beep can be permanently disabled but not the overspeed beeps.   And the LDA also defaults to 'on' every time the car is started.

I used to fly as a hobby, pre-start and pre-flight checks are just normal and accepted routine.   I've just taken the same approach with the Corolla.   I leave the settings menu permanently displayed in the centre area between the 2 dials.   It is just a few button pushes to turn off the LDA.   Ditto the RSA (for short journeys).   For longer journeys I leave the RSA on and go into the sub-menu to change the overspeed warning to visual only (this has to be done whilst stationary).

So that's the way I do it.   Slightly irritating to not be able to keep preferences set up as I would like;   but not prepared to let this detract from what I am otherwise finding to be a good car.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, SDR said:

I used to fly as a hobby, pre-start and pre-flight checks are just normal and accepted routine.   I've just taken the same approach with the Corolla.   I leave the settings menu permanently displayed in the centre area between the 2 dials.   It is just a few button pushes to turn off the LDA.   Ditto the RSA (for short journeys).   For longer journeys I leave the RSA on and go into the sub-menu to change the overspeed warning to visual only (this has to be done whilst stationary).

So that's the way I do it.   Slightly irritating to not be able to keep preferences set up as I would like;   but not prepared to let this detract from what I am otherwise finding to be a good car.

Completely agree with all you have said Simon and I now do the pre-drive checks in the same way as you have outlined. As you say, don't let it detract from how good the car is because they are excellent.

• Like 1

At least Lexus have made it slightly easier although i do prefer the Mazda system were you can switch it off on a button although they all default to on every time you restart the car.

One useful feature of the central screen is the ability to quickly access often-used functions. The LBX memorises which ones are accessed most frequently, and a press of an on-screen button accesses them. This is particularly handy to deactivate the car's road-sign recognition software - this beeps every time a road sign is detected and also alerts you when you've momentarily crept over the last detected speed limit, even by 1mph.

• Like 2

Can I just check that the warning beep only occurs once when going above the speed limit (which it most certainly isn't given the Speedo is fast versus GPS calibration speed)? I think I could just about cope with one beep but not repeatedly beeping if the Speedo says 75mph when in fact it's 69 or 70mph actual speed on the motorway!

• Like 1

I can say with certainty that, on 24MY Corolla, the overspeed bleeps continue for some time.   I'm not sure if they stop after a certain period;   I think that they might, but I decided to sort the issue within a very short time of getting the car (as above) so I can't be sure. 

FWIW, the speedo on my car over-reads by about 3mph at 60mph.

• Sad 2

33 minutes ago, Nick72 said:

which it most certainly isn't given the Speedo is fast versus GPS calibration speed)? I think I could just about cope with one beep but not repeatedly beeping if the Speedo says 75mph when in fact it's 69 or 70mph actual speed on the motorway!

Legally in the EU/UK the indicated speed shown on a speedometer must never be less than the actual speed, i.e. it should not be possible to inadvertently speed because of an incorrect speedometer reading. The indicated speed must not be more than 110 percent of the true speed plus 4 km/h (2.5 mph) at specified test speeds.

Additionally in the UK, the indicated speed must not be more than 110 percent of the true speed plus at all actual speeds between 25 mph and 70 mph (or the vehicles' maximum speed if it is lower than this), the indicated speed must not exceed 110% of the actual speed, plus 6.25 mph.

For example, if the vehicle is actually traveling at 50 mph, the speedometer must not show more than 61.25 mph or less than 50 mph.

The GPS indicated speed is an average over a given number of points.

• Thanks 1

GPS indicated speed should be accurate when travelling at a constant speed along a straight and level road.

It isn't accurate when ascending or descending a hill (because it is measuring speed horizontally across the Earth's surface).   Nor when the road isn't straight (because sampling rate causes a dot-to-dot puzzle effect).

• Like 3

18 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Legally in the EU/UK the indicated speed shown on a speedometer must never be less than the actual speed, i.e. it should not be possible to inadvertently speed because of an incorrect speedometer reading. The indicated speed must not be more than 110 percent of the true speed plus 4 km/h (2.5 mph) at specified test speeds.

Additionally in the UK, the indicated speed must not be more than 110 percent of the true speed plus at all actual speeds between 25 mph and 70 mph (or the vehicles' maximum speed if it is lower than this), the indicated speed must not exceed 110% of the actual speed, plus 6.25 mph.

For example, if the vehicle is actually traveling at 50 mph, the speedometer must not show more than 61.25 mph or less than 50 mph.

The GPS indicated speed is an average over a given number of points.

Great post thanks Frosty.

I think that's why the Speedo is fast biased than slower biased. There's no way you can exceed the actual speed limit from using the speedo because it's telling you you're at the speed limit when you're really several mph below it. Likely also because the manufacturers don't want to be sued. The car made me do it argument. But not making it over bias the speed that it gets them into a different legal argument as you allude.

Same on all my past cars but seems particularly pronounced on my RAV versus GPS speed (straight and level on the motorway). It was about 2mph fast on my Merc at all speeds. GPS sample times on the device I've used, in addition to Waze average GPS speed, is 10Hz. So a much more accurate average measure than the Speedo on the car. Caveat being straight and level driving given altitude accuracy (vertical distance) is relatively poor on GPS given alignment of a patch of the Earth's surface with the satellite constellation, which is optimised for horizontal or azimuthal positioning.

Really there is only one argument- the speed sign recognition is wrong or is wrongly interpreted.

In all other cases keep the speed at or below the limit.

There is, perhaps,  an underused setting on the steering wheel - speed limiter.  For London I set 20 and Bournemouth 30.  If other traffic wants to drive at +5 they are free to overtake.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links