Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Anyone gone from an Aygo to an Aygo-X ?

hdkagawa

I'm considering a yaris mk4 (see here) but also thinking of an aygo-x - going to watch a load of reviews but wonder if anyone specifically went from owning an aygo to an aygo-x and what the benefits and drawbacks (if any) were? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have had four aygos and just bought aygo x the x is a big improvement comfortable front seats more like bucket seats better dash I find with the auto gearbox good response well just a bit loud on pulling away but you get use to it 

Higher up with the bigger wheels 

Plus you have safety features 

Bigger boot and body 

I am pleased with mine worth😀 looking at if you are in the market for a new car

• Like 5

I had an X for a few days while the scratched (and a tiny bit loose) rear bumper was replaced on my Aygo - paid in full by the "other party"... I didn't like the X.. It was I believe a bottom spec automatic, and I utterly hate auto gears.. I also didn't like how it felt like a mini SUV because how the seat height changed and 'don't know.. I just didn't like it...

Edited by Seemann
typo
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Seemann said:

I had an X for a few days while the scratched (and a tiny bit loose) rear bumper was replaced on my Aygo - paid in full by the "other party"... I didn't like the X.. It was I believe a bottom spec automatic, and I utterly hate auto gears.. I also didn't like how it felt like a mini SUV because how the seat height changed and 'don't know.. I just didn't like it...

I'm not sure if i would go auto or manual... I've only ever driven manual, but given I want my next car after this to be an EV maybe I  should dip my toe in with an auto now... 

How much 'bigger' was it? did you just feel higher up than the aygo? I can imagine it feeling a bit less reponsive / more floaty? but then you do get a higher ride

Car play would be nice

• Like 2

@Dave the aygo (or anyone else who knows...) is the carplay / android auto wireless on all the aygo Xs ?

It should be wireless although that function doesn't always work for me. I think it's only on the more expensive models that have the better (??) Multimedia.

I had some trouble with the multimedia. It's the largest one..  in more expensive versions. It's not good..  it doesn't do what it's supposed to do.

After going back to factory settings, it's fine again. Two days later, not any more.  It's plain rubbish, these radios.

The car : I am sorry that a lot of bad things from aygo2 are kept in place.

F.e. the engine that lacks power.. the small doors in the back, the window system on the back seats.

Major improvement is that it's a wider car.  Better to sit in with 2 people who are 80-100 kg. Also drives better on the highway cause it doesn't go left and right all the time in the truck tracks.

Better instruments and dash. Nice safety features. Like steering away a bit from a side line.

Radio (only considering the radio function and not the entire multimedia) is nicer. Heated seats in mine.. it's a joy.

Bit bigger trunk which makes the car imho a lot more useful when doing groceries. 

Still very low on consumption. 

If I would have to make the choice again to switch my one year old aygo2 for an X , I would do it again. 

Even for the exaggerated prices the X goes.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, hdkagawa said:

I'm considering a yaris mk4 (see here) but also thinking of an aygo-x - going to watch a load of reviews but wonder if anyone specifically went from owning an aygo to an aygo-x and what the benefits and drawbacks (if any) were? 

What are you looking to gain moving from an Aygo to an Aygo X or a Yaris? It's probably better to decide what you want/need and then weigh up the 2 vehicles as to what best suits your list. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DJ123 said:

What are you looking to gain moving from an Aygo to an Aygo X or a Yaris? It's probably better to decide what you want/need and then weigh up the 2 vehicles as to what best suits your list. 

Something quite small or relatively small, very reliable, something I can use 4-6 times a week but mainly short (15/20 min) journeys (30/40 if counting return trips of course) with the odd longer one thrown in too that has good fuel economy, Apple car play a must (preferably wireless), i have to like the look of it (i like sporty ish / cross ish vibes) - prefer LED lights too

Used market like 10-17k ish, also looked at a hyundai i10 as an option

7 hours ago, hdkagawa said:

Something quite small or relatively small, very reliable, something I can use 4-6 times a week but mainly short (15/20 min) journeys (30/40 if counting return trips of course) with the odd longer one thrown in too that has good fuel economy, apple car play a must (preferably wireless), i have to like the look of it (i like sporty ish / cross ish vibes) - prefer LED lights too

Used market like 10-17k ish, also looked at a hyundai i10 as an option

To be clear… mine is quite old now and would like to upgrade a bit

@DJ123 @haelewyn @Dave the aygo

does the lane assist stuff only come on during cruise control? Can I turn it off permanently without having to do it every time I turn on the engine??

For me, it was the automatic that made the upgrade worth it, CVT gearbox is way smoother than the previos X shift.

• Like 4

The lane assist will work in two different ways.

In normal driving conditions, it will work in an active way to keep you between the clearly painted lines.  If there is a line on your left to indicate the side of the road, once you would cross it, it will gently turn the steering wheel to keep you on the good side of the line. (Lane departure)

If the dynamic radar cruise control is used, it will keep you in the middle of the road and let you follow an other car, take you wherever the road leads to. (Lane centering).

You must keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times. The car knows if you do this or not and will object if you don't. It can, according to the manual, decide to switch off the system. You will clearly be warned about this, no worries. All warnings come clear enough. 

Radar cruise control can be switched off and changed to normal cruise control.

Lane departure system is always on. Both lane centering and lane departure can be switched off in all circumstances.

Lane departure will, as it is a safety feature, turn on again automatically after restart.

Lane centering will remain in the same position as what it was in before. If you switch it off now, it will still be off when you use the cruise control next time.

You could download a manual for the aygoX and read all conditions or settings that are possible for this system. 

I never object to the lane departure being on. I know a few places where the road painting kind of jumps away and the aygoX, when I am in a lazy day and just cross the line, will cleanly steer the car on the side where it should be. It's a bit funny situation. 

An other place where there is a soft, half muddy, half grassy shoulder immediately next to a line, the car will prevent me from driving on the line/ on the wrong side of the line and possibly keep me out of trouble one day.

I find the system does it's job excellent and even though my mind is kind of "I decide myself where and how to drive" I must admit the computer makes me driving more perfect. I have found it to be what it is designed for. A safety improving system.

I think the system could be programmed out or made to not work, but I wouldn't do it if somebody asked. I doubt a dealer would do it..

2 hours ago, hdkagawa said:

To be clear… mine is quite old now and would like to upgrade a bit

@DJ123 @haelewyn @Dave the aygo

does the lane assist stuff only come on during cruise control? Can I turn it off permanently without having to do it every time I turn on the engine??

Lane assist is on all the time unless you turn it off. I'm not sure whether you can turn it off permamently though.

7 hours ago, haelewyn said:

The lane assist will work in two different ways.

In normal driving conditions, it will work in an active way to keep you between the clearly painted lines.  If there is a line on your left to indicate the side of the road, once you would cross it, it will gently turn the steering wheel to keep you on the good side of the line. (Lane departure)

If the dynamic radar cruise control is used, it will keep you in the middle of the road and let you follow an other car, take you wherever the road leads to. (Lane centering).

You must keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times. The car knows if you do this or not and will object if you don't. It can, according to the manual, decide to switch off the system. You will clearly be warned about this, no worries. All warnings come clear enough. 

Radar cruise control can be switched off and changed to normal cruise control.

Lane departure system is always on. Both lane centering and lane departure can be switched off in all circumstances.

Lane departure will, as it is a safety feature, turn on again automatically after restart.

Lane centering will remain in the same position as what it was in before. If you switch it off now, it will still be off when you use the cruise control next time.

You could download a manual for the aygoX and read all conditions or settings that are possible for this system. 

I never object to the lane departure being on. I know a few places where the road painting kind of jumps away and the aygoX, when I am in a lazy day and just cross the line, will cleanly steer the car on the side where it should be. It's a bit funny situation. 

An other place where there is a soft, half muddy, half grassy shoulder immediately next to a line, the car will prevent me from driving on the line/ on the wrong side of the line and possibly keep me out of trouble one day.

I find the system does it's job excellent and even though my mind is kind of "I decide myself where and how to drive" I must admit the computer makes me driving more perfect. I have found it to be what it is designed for. A safety improving system.

I think the system could be programmed out or made to not work, but I wouldn't do it if somebody asked. I doubt a dealer would do it..

The lane departure is what worries me most... I live in a rural area, and people often park on the road to such an extent i have to cross over the line (when safe to do so) - I don't like the idea of the car trying to steer for me or 'guiding me' back ? I'll have to see how that is on the test drive if I can't disable it permanently because the idea of spending thousands to upgrade and having to disable that every time I put the car on would be a major nuisance...

I know no car is perfect though, but that sounds like it would really annoy me

That's why I suggested to download and read the manual.

There are so many ifs and buts...

The steering is not really a force. It's a gentle persuasion.

If you use your blinker to cross over the line, it won't do anything.

When I first drove a car that had this feature, I wasn't happy with it either. Saw it as a useless interference or the car telling me what to do instead of the other way around.

I have learned to appreciate the system now. The times it surprises me is rather rare.

One thing I have written about the aygo several times on the forum but not yet in this topic : I am not convinced by the town handling and driving even though the turning circle IS very small. I don't like the clutch handling and i will never like it. I am sure I lose a few seconds to drive away in this car. Just like an aygo2 (just a little bit better) the clutch handles not great at all. High biting point, fiddly grabbing point that is too short, etc.

Had that on a Mitsubishi mirage too.

I DO love the car to drive longer ends. It's supposed to not be designed for that but still that is where it is nicer to drive.

The 5 geared box is good. One disadvantage on both aygo2 and X is that the 2nd gear makes a noise when it is cold.  That is bad design and failure of Mr. T to improve the synchronization.

Toyota used to be all about : we design a car now and the next version we make everything better. These times have gone. For the gearbox, there must have been an idiot who said : "don't change a thing. Then we make more profit."

Not to make you more mad about the aygoX but there is an other system you need to be aware of. The accident avoiding system. They named it Pre Crash Safety system. This system will warn you for accidents almost happening with a red big message on your display and loud beeping. It sometimes goes on red alert when you are steering towards a car but, for example, knowing you will make a sharp turn just before you reach the car.

It's ok... makes me dream I am a pilot of a Boeing and the TCAS is warning me for oncoming traffic. Every time the system regards an event as dangerous (not a daily thing at all) and the danger has surely gone, I am training myself to say out loud, like a pilot to his co-pilot : "Clear of conflict".  :biggrin:

yeah like mentioned above, you just have to use your indicator more often than what you were doing before. I have to indicate to cross lanes on motorways even when going back to the left and nobody is there behind me or so far behind its not going to affect them.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, haelewyn said:

That's why I suggested to download and read the manual.

There are so many ifs and buts...

The steering is not really a force. It's a gentle persuasion.

If you use your blinker to cross over the line, it won't do anything.

When I first drove a car that had this feature, I wasn't happy with it either. Saw it as a useless interference or the car telling me what to do instead of the other way around.

I have learned to appreciate the system now. The times it surprises me is rather rare.

One thing I have written about the aygo several times on the forum but not yet in this topic : I am not convinced by the town handling and driving even though the turning circle IS very small. I don't like the clutch handling and i will never like it. I am sure I lose a few seconds to drive away in this car. Just like an aygo2 (just a little bit better) the clutch handles not great at all. High biting point, fiddly grabbing point that is too short, etc.

Had that on a Mitsubishi mirage too.

I DO love the car to drive longer ends. It's supposed to not be designed for that but still that is where it is nicer to drive.

The 5 geared box is good. One disadvantage on both aygo2 and X is that the 2nd gear makes a noise when it is cold.  That is bad design and failure of Mr. T to improve the synchronization.

Toyota used to be all about : we design a car now and the next version we make everything better. These times have gone. For the gearbox, there must have been an idiot who said : "don't change a thing. Then we make more profit."

Not to make you more mad about the aygoX but their is an other system you need to be aware of. The accident avoiding system. They named it Pre Crash Safery system. This system will warn you for accidents almost happening with a red big message on your display and loud beeping. It sometimes goes on red alert when you are steering towards a car but, for example, knowing you will make a sharp turn just before you reach the car.

It's ok... makes me dream I am a pilot of an Airbus and the TCAS is warning me for oncoming traffic. Every time the system regards an event as dangerous (not a daily thing at all) and the danger has surely gone, I am training myself to say out loud, like a pilot to his co-pilot : "Clear of conflict".

Nice ok thanks for all this - I think it'll be ok then, plus I think the features are becoming (or are?) standard in the UK anyway so I can't avoid them forever, now it's just the rarity of the exclusive model Aygo X in Wales haha, I've found one used one (I wouldn't buy a new car) - so will see, I've seen some reviews say about the clutch and the gearbox (and lack of power) but I'm already driving a '14 Aygo manual so I'm more than used to having to change gear frequently (especially in hilly areas) - and I'm familiar with the clutch

I think the lane assistant is a good idea was a bit strange when, it worked the first time but keeps you alert it's only mild adjustment 

Personaly I think the Aygo x has got plenty of power

• Like 2

Your car is watching over you. 

You wouldn't send your guardian angel away when he offered to ride along, no ?

A saying from aviation :

It's always better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than in the air wishing you were on the ground. :biggrin:

Let's say the safety features (and the bit slow engine) of an aygoX make sure you stay on the ground. 

• Haha 2

Reviews always say its low powered, yes compared to a porsche or a GT Yaris, but I think its adequate for the size of car.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, hdkagawa said:

Nice ok thanks for all this - I think it'll be ok then, plus I think the features are becoming (or are?) standard in the UK anyway so I can't avoid them forever, now it's just the rarity of the exclusive model Aygo X in Wales haha, I've found one used one (I wouldn't buy a new car) - so will see, I've seen some reviews say about the clutch and the gearbox (and lack of power) but I'm already driving a '14 Aygo manual so I'm more than used to having to change gear frequently (especially in hilly areas) - and I'm familiar with the clutch

I've no issues with the clutch & gearbox. The clutch has enough feel to manoeuvre easily without stalling, and the gearbox has a good positive movement, so you know you're in gear.

If some looks at an Aygo with 72HP and thinks it'll be fast, or complain it's slow then they're a bit dim. It's a 3 cylinder naturally aspirated unit - it's designed for economy, not for 0-60 sprints. I've no issues with it at all keeping up with traffic, being quick off the line, or getting up to speed in a timely manner. Yes, on faster roads if you want to accelerate from 50/60>70mph it is better to drop a gear and you have to depress the throttle, but again that's not unexpected on a low(er) power NA engine. 

• Like 7

For the size of a car , it's all ok.
There were times when having 75 hp was quite ok as many others still had 45 or 55 hp.
Nowadays it's not even special to have 200 or 300 hp in a car and the ones who have less than 75 hp stop getting sold regularly.
Every time you pull away at the traffic lights with one of these bigger cars next or in front of you, you won't 'keep up with traffic' at all.
You're gonna give it a lot of throttle, making a lot of noise and still not be able to follow (in the first km) that other car that was bought with a bigger wallet and is driving away from you without effort.
75 hp has become a really slow car. I often feel like in everybody's way a bit and as the slowest duck in the area.

If Citroen / Fiat / Opel sell a lot more of the AMI electric cars, we're in the benefit again.
Until that time, the idea that you can get along fine compared to Range Rovers or Teslas at the traffic lights is an illusion.
But , like TS said : he knows this already as he is driving an Aygo right now.

It's not even about what you expect. It's about what you see when you look around you.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, haelewyn said:

For the size of a car , it's all ok.
There were times when having 75 hp was quite ok as many others still had 45 or 55 hp.
Nowadays it's not even special to have 200 or 300 hp in a car and the ones who have less than 75 hp stop getting sold regularly.
Every time you pull away at the traffic lights with one of these bigger cars next or in front of you, you won't 'keep up with traffic' at all.
You're gonna give it a lot of throttle, making a lot of noise and still not be able to follow (in the first km) that other car that was bought with a bigger wallet and is driving away from you without effort.
75 hp has become a really slow car. I often feel like in everybody's way a bit and as the slowest duck in the area.

If Citroen / Fiat / Opel sell a lot more of the AMI electric cars, we're in the benefit again.
Until that time, the idea that you can get along fine compared to Range Rovers or Teslas at the traffic lights is an illusion.
But , like TS said : he knows this already as he is driving an Aygo right now.

It's not even about what you expect. It's about what you see when you look around you.

Thing is, driving has become so stop start in most places, and especially with Wales' 20mph rule, the benefit / time savings of a 'faster' car seem almost completely negligible to me anyway (and I can't imagine the Aygo X is drastically slower than the Aygo I have to the point I would find it bothersome)

• Like 3

Aygo2 got a few hp more than aygo1.

AygoX stays same as aygo2.

Imho no noticeable big difference between all of them.

Of course in 20 mph zones you will never feel "beaten" by a Jaguar with 300 hp. That's true.

Consumption : my aygoX still does almost exactly the same as my aygo2. It has a start stop, the aygo2 I had didn't have that. Obviously it consumes a bit less cause of the start stop but it got a little bit heavier too (more extras on my aygoX).

• Like 2

I have seen a used undercover Aygo X and have fallen in love with it a bit... it's a little pricey (albeit already significantly cheaper than new) but it would last me a long time and be cheap to run / upkeep and it's an auto (with manual paddles if i want/prefer) and has heated seats and all the trimmings... I think I'll go see it tomorrow

• Like 3

sounds like that is the top exclusive trim. It was a bit pricey, so I went for the Edge as it didn't cost me any extra money on top of the equity I had.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links