Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Just got rid of my 2.0ltr this week

gazooracer

Finally got rid of the headache this week, thank god. Kept 2.0ltr GR sport estate for for 8 months where it stayed with Toyota for the engine replacement for two months which Toyota eventually refused to grant, saying that they can't give a new engine due to workshop's negligence during the repair, the car stayed with me for 6 months, didn't stop misfiring despite replacing four injectors in total. Anyways the dealer rebuilt the engine, fixed the car and gave that back to me without any paperwork. Worst service by Toyota! Never buying this garbage ever again and would highly emphasize to avoid it at every cost.

Not a reliable brand anymore, trust me!!!

2024-02-11-13-15-43-299.thumb.jpg.33099b82efc0426a03e7798ba5f8cfda.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Sounds like a bit of a nightmare. Touch wood mine has been perfect so far in the 2 years I've owned it.

• Like 2

Hopefully yours doesn't go down the path mine & so many other 2.0ltr cars went.

Just stick to the quality fuel that might keep it sound but nothing worked in my case.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gazooracer said:

Finally got rid of the headache this week, thank god. Kept 2.0ltr GR sport estate for for 8 months where it stayed with Toyota for the engine replacement for two months which Toyota eventually refused to grant, saying that they can't give a new engine due to workshop's negligence during the repair, the car stayed with me for 6 months, didn't stop misfiring despite replacing four injectors in total. Anyways the dealer rebuilt the engine, fixed the car and gave that back to me without any paperwork. Worst service by Toyota! Never buying this garbage ever again and would highly emphasize to avoid it at every cost.

Not a reliable brand anymore, trust me!!!2024-02-11-13-15-43-299.thumb.jpg.33099b82efc0426a03e7798ba5f8cfda.jpg

6 month ago I got rid of my 2005 Avensis which I had for 13 yr. very reliable, It had over 250,000 km up and never used oil. Some of the engines were oil burners back then due to a design fault which was corrected and are prone today due to low tension piston rings. I changed it for Corolla hybrid which I hope will not turn into an oil burner, the secret is regular oil changes with good quality oil. The Corolla to date is a brilliant car. 

EV or Hybrid is a personnel choice, with Hybrid you get best of both worlds being able to top up with petrol get great mpg through the brake regeneration and not using the engine in traffic zee

It was sad to hear about the issues people had been having with the 2 litre, I’d been looking at one originally but it put me off. 

From reading about the 1.8 in the Prius they don’t tend to burn any oil , if at all, until over 150k miles. There are some in the US on very large mileages. Even when they are burning oil, they run fine. 

VW thinks up to a litre of oil every 600 miles is ‘normal’ on a new car!

• Like 4

For balance, I had a 2.0 Corolla Excel for 2 years and 23k miles without a single issue so they are not all troublesome.

• Like 4

Ive had a couple of them, admittedly up to 10K miles, never had any issues  

• Like 3

267500 miles to date in 1.8 hybrid Auris no problems at all. Yes the engine does burn oil, around 2 to 3 litres per 10k miles and also has the typical oil leaks - drippings , but overall very reliable. Only ever needed to change timing chain tensioner at around 180k miles and twice egr system clean at 140k and 240k. Service as per the manufacturer recommended with oem or high quality aftermarket parts. Another thing that needed attention were exhaust brackets and heat shielding, those were fixed with on the car with hose clamp and extra shims made of cola cans. The car drives and feels like new, except it requires a new hybrid Battery., that’s all. 
And btw yesterday I seen video about 4 years old Corolla hybrid 1.8 with 446000 miles. 

FCA3FEC8-06E4-41A1-B746-D691C0D46A2E.jpeg

• Like 7

On 2/20/2024 at 12:45 AM, Roker said:

6 month ago I got rid of my 2005 Avensis which I had for 13 yr. very reliable, It had over 250,000 km up and never used oil. Some of the engines were oil burners back then due to a design fault which was corrected and are prone today due to low tension piston rings. I changed it for Corolla hybrid which I hope will not turn into an oil burner, the secret is regular oil changes with good quality oil. The Corolla to date is a brilliant car. 

EV or Hybrid is a personnel choice, with Hybrid you get best of both worlds being able to top up with petrol get great mpg through the brake regeneration and not using the engine in traffic zee

Bro you didn't get rid of yours, you full on milked the machine til the end and then gave it away lol and that's how it's supposed to be like to be honest.

My car never had a single service from any sub standard or back street garage, I have always used the main dealer for the service and never delayed any service but 2.0 hybrid came with some kind of engine design flaw which caused so many cars to have the same problem with injectors and this only started when Toyota changed from port injection to direct injection as Lexus 200 hybrid never had injectors problem as it was port injection, this problem was only with new Yaris and New Corolla, both came with direct injection system which Toyota messed up big time and horrible thing is Toyota don't seem interested in calling the cars in despite the fact that so many engines have blown up due to the same reason.

I know normal 1.8 hybrid is very reliable car, I bought that brand new in 2019 but then upgraded to 2.0 GR sport but it was a massive mistake.

• Like 4

On 2/20/2024 at 1:51 PM, TonyHSD said:

267500 miles to date in 1.8 hybrid Auris no problems at all. Yes the engine does burn oil, around 2 to 3 litres per 10k miles and also has the typical oil leaks - drippings , but overall very reliable. Only ever needed to change timing chain tensioner at around 180k miles and twice egr system clean at 140k and 240k. Service as per the manufacturer recommended with oem or high quality aftermarket parts. Another thing that needed attention were exhaust brackets and heat shielding, those were fixed with on the car with hose clamp and extra shims made of cola cans. The car drives and feels like new, except it requires a new hybrid battery., that’s all. 
And btw yesterday I seen video about 4 years old Corolla hybrid 1.8 with 446000 miles. 

FCA3FEC8-06E4-41A1-B746-D691C0D46A2E.jpeg

1.8 hybrid is very reliable, I had a few in the past, they never miss a beat. But having driven Toyota hybrid for so long, came on new Ford Focus Diesel automatic 1.5 eco blue, the power, the fuel economy, the weight of the car, build quality for interior, seats, leathers and last but not the least "The Drive", everything feels so well built and high quality compared to Toyota and all this for such a reasonable price, unbelievably satisfying experience. Ford is definitely not the same as it was once, it's definitely gone up in quality and reliability compare to the past.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 3

I think you were a bit unlucky with yours TBH - It's certainly more the exception than the rule!

It's good to try other marques though - While Toyota's biggest strength is their long-term reliability, the other marques do have their plusses. Ford have always had weirdly good handling, and I've long considered the Fiesta the benchmark for good handling in a 'normal' car (Obviously sports cars will have better handling, but then they have sports car prices too :laugh: ). It's why I've often complimented the Mk4 Yaris by saying its handling is Fiesta-like.

They have improved reliability, esp. in the engine department, since they started nicking stuff from Mazda, but they still don't have the sort of long term reliability that I can't give up from my Toyotas, and they tend to have lots of fiddly things like swirl flaps and the front vent shutters and random electronical things which tend to just randomly fail over time.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, gazooracer said:

1.8 hybrid is very reliable, I had a few in the past, they never miss a beat. But having driven Toyota hybrid for so long, came on new Ford Focus Diesel automatic 1.5 eco blue, the power, the fuel economy, the weight of the car, build quality for interior, seats, leathers and last but not the least "The Drive", everything feels so well built and high quality compared to Toyota and all this for such a reasonable price, unbelievably satisfying experience. Ford is definitely not the same as it was once, it's definitely gone up in quality and reliability compare to the past.

maxresdefault.jpg

Is the 1.5 engine one of the ones disparaging called ‘eco boom’ or is that accolade reserved for the 1.0?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, davidif said:

Is the 1.5 engine one of the ones disparaging called ‘eco boom’ or is that accolade reserved for the 1.0?

I believe the 1.5 3-cylinder EcoBoost moved from wet belt to chain around 2018. This removed one of the more common reasons for engine failures. But EcoBoost is a petrol engine. The OP has a diesel EcoBlue which I believe has a normal dry belt and does not have a belt driven oil pump. As long as it's serviced, should be reliable.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, davidif said:

I think that's their 1.2 petrol turbo...? Might be wrong as I get the 1 and 1.2 mixed up :laugh: 

• Like 1

I've heard few people joking

"Ford usually have no reliability issues. They just suddenly die."

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Really sorry to hear what's happened with your Corolla, and your bad experience with Toyota and the dealer. Good you've managed to get rid the car. 

I wonder if the new owner will join, or is already a member here... Will be interesting to find out if the new engine will suffer same issues

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Cyker said:

I think that's their 1.2 petrol turbo...? Might be wrong as I get the 1 and 1.2 mixed up :laugh: 

My son in law's '17 Focus 1.0 Ecoboost has just gone boom last week and he's decided to scrap the car. Suffice to say I'm not feeling particularly well disposed towards Fords in general at the moment! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, yossarian247 said:

My son in law's '17 Focus 1.0 Ecoboost has just gone boom last week and he's decided to scrap the car. Suffice to say I'm not feeling particularly well disposed towards Fords in general at the moment! 

This happened to my friend's son too. Also a 1.0 EcoBoost. But, after much pressure, Ford supplied and fitted a new engine. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, APS said:

This happened to my friend's son too. Also a 1.0 EcoBoost. But, after much pressure, Ford supplied and fitted a new engine. 

I did try and suggest that, but he just wanted rid of it. He was offered £1700 for the car in its dead state by a breaker and that was almost exactly what he still owed on the finance, so he went with their offer.

• Like 2

On 2/28/2024 at 6:49 PM, Niky said:

I wonder if the new owner will join, or is already a member here... Will be interesting to find out if the new engine will suffer same issues

Sod's law being what it is, the new owner will probably go on to cover 250k trouble free miles and say it's the best car they've ever owned! That's basically what happened with the Skoda Octavia I sold in 2014 after having numerous problems. A friend lives not far from the current owner and still sees him driving it. I think I fixed all of the faults ready for him to take it over ...

• Like 2

I’ve had my MY20 2.0 for almost a year and I’ve had no issues at all. 

maybe you have been unlucky, maybe I have been lucky. Who knows.

But no matter what brand you buy, new or old there is always a chance something will go wrong. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Steven83 said:

But no matter what brand you buy, new or old there is always a chance something will go wrong. 

Yes indeed things go wrong with even the best products.  But I think a good measure of a reliable brand is the fix and support process - in this case the owner was amid a dispute between dealer and Toyota.  And they have lost a customer, who will no doubt spread the word widely.

Regarding Ford 1.0 Ecoboost engines - they are an excellent package that drive really well.  But I understand that they have had a couple of compromising components (a coolant pipe and the timing belt).  I did understand that Ford were providing goodwill at least on these engines for the life of the car, if serviced in franchise.  But a lot of that will depend upon the energy of the garages service manager. 

• Like 2

The Ecoboost wet belt system is know for problems when they are not maintained properly, usually when people put the wrong grade oil in them and over extending the interval time, the engine is pretty much scrap when they let go. There is a chap on TikTok that explains it well 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Talking Houbik said:

Yes indeed things go wrong with even the best products.  But I think a good measure of a reliable brand is the fix and support process - in this case the owner was amid a dispute between dealer and Toyota.  And they have lost a customer, who will no doubt spread the word widely.

Regarding Ford 1.0 Ecoboost engines - they are an excellent package that drive really well.  But I understand that they have had a couple of compromising components (a coolant pipe and the timing belt).  I did understand that Ford were providing goodwill at least on these engines for the life of the car, if serviced in franchise.  But a lot of that will depend upon the energy of the garages service manager. 

I had my issues with Toyota also. But ultimately it was resolved.

Again I think no matter the brand or the dealer issues can still happen and I still think Toyota is a safer bet than others.

Before I got my Corolla I was looking at the focus 1.0 eco boost engines but hear many many stories of them exploding so was put off. 

• Like 1

I've driven few different brands over the years- 2 Kias, old petrol Corolla, diesel Clio, and old BMW 320 petrol....

2006 1.9 Diesel Octavia with DSG - lots of costly problems once it hit 120k miles.  DSG, Electrical, calipers issues, the list goes on and on.... I loved the car, but had to get rid of it

2006 1.8 Petrol Avensis - super reliable car, but needed something better on fuel for my 20ish k miles per year

2013 1.6 diesel Civic - absolutely faultless vehicle, but upcoming ULEZ in London pushed me to get rid of it. Checked its latest MOT 174k miles still passing without any advisories. 

And the Corolla 2022 1.8 TS now - almost went for the 2L engine, but the running cost(fuel, insurance, PPC) put me off

I really wanted to stick with Honda, but their 10th generation with turbo engines put me off the brand. I still check the Civiforum time to time and read horrible stories for the 11th gen hybrid Civic

My experience(also from friends) Toyota and Honda (at least Honda used to) have the best cost effective cars to run. Not talking about reliability, but cost of running - which is pretty much the same. They all have issues, and need a certain maintenance, but thinking of general maintenance, servicing and consumables for a car......

Toyotas usually don't need timing chain replacing, their suspension is made to last, 1.8 petrol engine is bomb proof, electrics are pretty good without many issues, specifically for hybrid cars -  brakes last longer than regular ones, no DPF, no clutch, no turbo, no gearbox(eCVT have 0 issue records as long as I am aware) no starter, no alternator, no auxiliary belt, etc.....

This is why I picked a Corolla, and today is exactly 2 years since I have it. 39k miles so far and I am happy with my choice. Not a perfect vehicle, it has its pros and cons, but the running cost and reliability is the most important bit in any vehicle for me( and yes I want a Lexus ES300H, but haven't grown enough to have one, yet 😀 )

Apart of an odd infotainment system glitch(had it reinstalled by the dealer), and wheel alignment because it was pulling slightly to the left I haven't had any other issues - I know its only 2 years and 39k miles yet, but that's exactly what I've been expecting from Toyota. Hopefully the case for another 5 years and 100k miles more

• Like 4

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links