Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Just got rid of my 2.0ltr this week

gazooracer

On 2/20/2024 at 5:35 AM, sportse said:

It was sad to hear about the issues people had been having with the 2 litre, I’d been looking at one originally but it put me off. 

From reading about the 1.8 in the Prius they don’t tend to burn any oil , if at all, until over 150k miles. There are some in the US on very large mileages. Even when they are burning oil, they run fine. 

VW thinks up to a litre of oil every 600 miles is ‘normal’ on a new car!

I had a 2008 Prius (loved that car), didn't burn a drop of oil until she hit 188,000. Then started guzzling it like a Rugby Team out on the Beer. 5 liters every 1000 miles. I've been thinking of a 2.0 for when it comes time to trade my Auris in, but the stories of the injector problems are making me dubious. I wonder if there are any actual figures / statistics, for how many 2.0 have actually had problems?

I believe the op had simply a bad luck and got a lemon car. 
There are so many Toyota cars with these engines and yes there are others who run into same injectors issues but not so big numbers imo. Also there is no statistics as far as I am aware to check actual numbers of complaints. 
Either way, I also be more inclined to buy 1.8 gen 4 or gen5 over the 2.0 versions just become the same reasons plus the 1.8 engine is easier to maintain as diy, has less clutter and more access to do things on it. The 2.0 under bonnet looks very crowded., more like a German car. 
About other brands, I had my eyes on Skoda Octavia 2021-> models hatchback and I think this is best in class as body car, but the engine choice is simply no go for me. Plus I had been enjoying many years of driving Toyota hybrids, promoting and recommending these cars to friends and family, and now myself to go and buy something else seems like a joke that I will regret if I go and do it. Plus every time I try another brand except premium larger models I feel that Toyota is one of the very best. Ford, Vauxhall, Stellantis products and similar are no go for me, at least not for my own money. , I can drive them but not buying or maintaining by myself for sure. 

• Like 5

Forum statistics can be very misleading, people come to a forum for a couple of reasons, to find out more about the car they are driving or to help others. There are also a large number that come to complain about the brand or dealer, which then gives a false impression of the problem at hand 

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

I believe the op had simply a bad luck and got a lemon car. 
There are so many Toyota cars with these engines and yes there are others who run into same injectors issues but not so big numbers imo. Also there is no statistics as far as I am aware to check actual numbers of complaints. 
Either way, I also be more inclined to buy 1.8 gen 4 or gen5 over the 2.0 versions just become the same reasons plus the 1.8 engine is easier to maintain as diy, has less clutter and more access to do things on it. The 2.0 under bonnet looks very crowded., more like a German car. 
About other brands, I had my eyes on Skoda Octavia 2021-> models hatchback and I think this is best in class as body car, but the engine choice is simply no go for me. Plus I had been enjoying many years of driving Toyota hybrids, promoting and recommending these cars to friends and family, and now myself to go and buy something else seems like a joke that I will regret if I go and do it. Plus every time I try another brand except premium larger models I feel that Toyota is one of the very best. Ford, Vauxhall, Stellantis products and similar are no go for me, at least not for my own money. , I can drive them but not buying or maintaining by myself for sure. 

Great post Tony, thanks very much, ( I had a Skoda Octavia once. Had a DCT Gearbox, was a nightmare on 4 wheels, DCT failed twice in two years, collapsed leaving car undriveable, I think VAG made them out of tin foil and blu -tac. It was after that I vowed only ever to have Japanese cars).

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

Forum statistics can be very misleading, people come to a forum for a couple of reasons, to find out more about the car they are driving or to help others. There are also a large number that come to complain about the brand or dealer, which then gives a false impression of the problem at hand 

i think this forum is quite "boring" in the best possible way!!! Not many scary stories are being shared. This thread is probably the scariest of them all with a blown engine on a pretty new car. This is really worrying and I hope no one ever experience this again - not with a Toyota!!!

Most of the issues everyone else is sharing here are not major ones and it's normal for any kind of machinery to have little bugs here and there- something for us to talk about 

• Like 9

On 3/1/2024 at 9:45 AM, Parts-King said:

The Ecoboost wet belt system is know for problems when they are not maintained properly, usually when people put the wrong grade oil in them and over extending the interval time, the engine is pretty much scrap when they let go. There is a chap on TikTok that explains it well 

Certainly the wrong grade of oil won't help, but my son-in-laws Focus was at 60k, just approaching 7 years old, with a full Ford service history. I've heard of Ecoboosts failing at as little as 45k with a full service history too. Bear in mind that the belt change interval is supposed to be 10 years/150k !

The Ecoboost drive belt should be replaced at 100,000 miles, but many have been failing long before that mileage.  I heard on the TV this week that Ford in the USA have a campaign to replace the belt free of charge. 

I still don't understand why wet belts are a thing! :laugh: What does it bring to the table that dry belts or chains don't do better??

On 3/1/2024 at 2:11 PM, Parts-King said:

Agreed, forum gossip can give a false impression of how widespread a problem is. But it's all we have to go on!

I'd love it if you and/or @DevonAygo could give some numbers on how many direct injectors are being ordered/changed wherever you work. I'm hoping the number is zero 😁

I understand that these direct injectors are difficult to install correctly (compared to the old port injectors). Perhaps some techs aren't been trained properly by Toyota / don't have the experience yet to get it perfect?

• Like 1

On 3/2/2024 at 2:09 PM, Cyker said:

I still don't understand why wet belts are a thing! :laugh: What does it bring to the table that dry belts or chains don't do better??

Efficiency, alledgedly. Less friction. Although if a standard belt service is at 100,000 miles, that just doesn't compute. I think it's mostly a con.

I'm sure they have less friction than a timing chain, but with all that extra oil drag there is no way they'd have less friction than a dry belt!

And to make matters worse they're usually used on interference engines, but because they are wet it's much harder to check their condition as they're sealed inside the crank case!

I just can't find any advantage it has over a dry belt or chain, but it instead brings all the downsides from both!

On 2/29/2024 at 1:12 PM, yossarian247 said:

Sod's law being what it is, the new owner will probably go on to cover 250k trouble free miles and say it's the best car they've ever owned! That's basically what happened with the Skoda Octavia I sold in 2014 after having numerous problems. A friend lives not far from the current owner and still sees him driving it. I think I fixed all of the faults ready for him to take it over ...

I really hope that the root cause of the problem was fixed during the rebuilding of the engine and I wish the new owner gets million miles out of it and wish him a massive good luck with the car as I don't want anyone else to suffer and get stitched the way I got. 

• Like 1

On 3/2/2024 at 4:21 PM, ThomasL said:

Agreed, forum gossip can give a false impression of how widespread a problem is. But it's all we have to go on!

I'd love it if you and/or @DevonAygo could give some numbers on how many direct injectors are being ordered/changed wherever you work. I'm hoping the number is zero 😁

I understand that these direct injectors are difficult to install correctly (compared to the old port injectors). Perhaps some techs aren't been trained properly by Toyota / don't have the experience yet to get it perfect?

You need to own that 2.0ltr hybrid corolla to realise what I have been through and all the rest are. You're saying the numbers of direct injectors ordered might be zero, "four injectors" got replaced in the period of 6 months only in my 2.0, whereas the workshop manager was saying they're three other cars which had exactly the same issue with them. A guy owned 2022 2.0 ltr, blew his engine after the injector replacement exactly the way mine did. So reality is very different than the fantasy my friend.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2024 at 12:16 PM, davidif said:

For balance, I had a 2.0 Corolla Excel for 2 years and 23k miles without a single issue so they are not all troublesome.

Majority makes the authority brother. It is what it is sadly, sorry....

• Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 9:29 PM, Cyker said:

I think you were a bit unlucky with yours TBH - It's certainly more the exception than the rule!

It's good to try other marques though - While Toyota's biggest strength is their long-term reliability, the other marques do have their plusses. Ford have always had weirdly good handling, and I've long considered the Fiesta the benchmark for good handling in a 'normal' car (Obviously sports cars will have better handling, but then they have sports car prices too :laugh: ). It's why I've often complimented the Mk4 Yaris by saying its handling is Fiesta-like.

They have improved reliability, esp. in the engine department, since they started nicking stuff from Mazda, but they still don't have the sort of long term reliability that I can't give up from my Toyotas, and they tend to have lots of fiddly things like swirl flaps and the front vent shutters and random electronical things which tend to just randomly fail over time.

True, no brand is perfect and I honestly bought this Toyota GR Sport to keep it for at least a decade as it's considered so damn reliable but unfortunately I was proven wrong. Don't know what it is but I can't even think of owning another one any time soon, whereas I went for ford as a cheaper option but I have been blown away by the overall feel and the build quality compared to Toyota, it feels very solid and a car which can hack the hit to shield you during an accident, whereas Toyota feels too flimsy & light weight with poor fittings and materials at times unless you go for lexus.

My 2.0 had a slight misfire at idle when I bought it a year ago. I basically ignored it and in the meantime for whatever reason it seems to have 'fixed' itself. It's now approaching 50k, has all original injectors, and for now at least has a totally smooth idle. Since I bought it I've been trying different fuels, both in terms of brand and E5/E10, none seemed to make any particular difference at the time they were in the tank, but who knows. I also ran a bottle of Archoil petrol injector through it late last year so perhaps that did some good..? 

• Like 2

gazooracer looks like you were unlucky maybe the problem with the 2L is that they have QC issues built in Poland no reports with Lexus 2L or UK built 1.8, as regards build the Toyota beats the Focus easily, seen lots with the door rubbers hanging out, Toyota has better interior materials that feel they would last the NCAP rating for adult on Toyota is 95 Focus 85 production has stopped now for the Focus, too many issues with the highly stressed pint pot engines unless you go for the 1.5, the corolla will outlast both.

• Like 3

I see the problem with op car is likely to be caused by poor workmanship from the dealer mechanics, honestly in uk at least the dealers I visit once I see the men and the garage equipment, base etc I just take the parts and do the work by myself. If I can’t complete any jobs on the car then I have someone who usually helps, he is a local mechanic works for himself.

Todays cars including Toyota has very specific requirements and procedures how the things needs to be done and even the smallest off set for something, like not properly installed parts will lead to premature wear and early failure. One thing I learned and always say - if the car it’s not broken, no warning lights on screen, still starts and drives and no loud bang noises are presented just drive it and only serviced as per the manufacturer recommendations. Often and unnecessary works done only increase the risk of future issues. Simply said if not broken don’t fix it. 
Ignore small niggles like squeaking noise, rattling, tyre noises, we all know about these and your car will last long and serve you well. Start going to the dealer for not obvious faults and they will help you to make the faults obvious aka cause you real trouble. 
The quality of fuels we have in uk is bad, please don’t explain to me BS Standard etc, this is on paper only. In reality what we feel in our cars is totally different. 

• Like 2

I have honestly had no problems with my 2.0 litre TS GR Sport. I love it. It’s a great car and hopefully will give me trouble free motoring for years to come. I feel so sorry for the op who has had a rough time with his Corolla but it is not really fair to advise the forum members to avoid the 2.0litre at all costs and to describe the vehicle in the terms that he does. His vehicle could be described in such terms but I certainly couldn’t do the same with the experience gained so far with my vehicle.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2024 at 6:49 PM, Niky said:

Really sorry to hear what's happened with your Corolla, and your bad experience with Toyota and the dealer. Good you've managed to get rid the car. 

I wonder if the new owner will join, or is already a member here... Will be interesting to find out if the new engine will suffer same issues

Dealer rebuilt the same engine, Toyota refused to give a new engine despite the car being under warranty, Toyota pinned the blame on the dealer and asked the dealer to pay for the damage. That put me off the brand even more as it was a clear open and shut case as the issue wasn't new and was so common and yet they refused to grant a new engine.

On 2/19/2024 at 8:36 PM, gazooracer said:

Toyota eventually refused to grant, saying that they can't give a new engine due to workshop's negligence during the repair

I think any manufacturer won't provide warranty support if the dealer hasn't carried out repairs correctly. At the end of the day, if the dealer's technicians have made mistakes, the responsibility lies with the dealer, which is what has happened. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, gazooracer said:

True, no brand is perfect and I honestly bought this Toyota GR Sport to keep it for at least a decade as it's considered so damn reliable but unfortunately I was proven wrong. Don't know what it is but I can't even think of owning another one any time soon, whereas I went for ford as a cheaper option but I have been blown away by the overall feel and the build quality compared to Toyota, it feels very solid and a car which can hack the hit to shield you during an accident, whereas Toyota feels too flimsy & light weight with poor fittings and materials at times unless you go for lexus.

So the Toyota is poor build quality and too flimsy and light weight with poor fittings and materials. Plus high risk of death in an accident. So why did you bother with Toyota in the first place? You must have compared Toyota to previous vehicles you have had to be able to make a comparison and a decision to try out a Toyota. So it's a rubbish brand but I will have one anyway. Just doesn't add up does it?  As for Ford. I gave up on the 'stack um high'  'sell um cheap' brigade years ago.

There is a difference between perceived quality engineering and actual quality. 

many manufacturers spend loads on how a car feels rather than how long it will last. 

when I moved back to Toyota from VW I nearly ripped the door off the first time it was so light! The doors on the VW feel like they are solid metal, their tailgate is like shutting a bank vault. It was the same with a previous Volvo I had, which was actually just a rebadged ford. 

however, that’s just the feel - I’d rather have a car that lasts a long time rather than one that just feels it will. There are plenty of Toyotas still around, proving the quality. 

the lighter weight is also a reason for the better mpg too. 

• Like 5

It is interesting as Toyota were putting more zots into the feel of the cars when I started to shift to them - The Mk9 Corolla and Mk2 Yaris had that nice solid door feeling, but now they've gone back to the more flimsy and tinny feeling doors; If I didn't know what the insides looked like I'd be more concerned about side crash resistance! :eek: 

I assume it's part of their focus on economy - Less weight = better mpg and handling. It's tricky as they put a lot more zots where it matters - i.e. the drivetrain and electronics - but these are hidden things that are hard to market, whereas Fords, VWs and even French marques just feel lovely when you sit in them for the first time and give them a test drive. They do feel like much nicer places to be in, no question. You can only really appreciate what Toyota focus on when your lovely feeling other car keeps needing bits replacing or stranding you on the side of the road or, for more excitement, a Smart Motorway.

Now that I've had cars that don't need things like control arms, bearings, pipes, switches, plugs etc. replaced regularly over their lives with the resulting down-time, I find it hard to go back to cars that do!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

It is interesting as Toyota were putting more zots into the feel of the cars when I started to shift to them - The Mk9 Corolla and Mk2 Yaris had that nice solid door feeling, but now they've gone back to the more flimsy and tinny feeling doors; If I didn't know what the insides looked like I'd be more concerned about side crash resistance! :eek: 

I assume it's part of their focus on economy - Less weight = better mpg and handling. It's tricky as they put a lot more zots where it matters - i.e. the drivetrain and electronics - but these are hidden things that are hard to market, whereas Fords, VWs and even French marques just feel lovely when you sit in them for the first time and give them a test drive. They do feel like much nicer places to be in, no question. You can only really appreciate what Toyota focus on when your lovely feeling other car keeps needing bits replacing or stranding you on the side of the road or, for more excitement, a Smart Motorway.

Now that I've had cars that don't need things like control arms, bearings, pipes, switches, plugs etc. replaced regularly over their lives with the resulting down-time, I find it hard to go back to cars that do!

Talking about tinny doors, on my Auris the passenger door has a solid clunk but the drivers door is tinny when shut and i can't understand why that would be.?:smile:

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links