Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

At last... The new car is home!

CPN

56 minutes ago, Dick_Dastardly said:

I couldn't figure out how to get a tachometer displayed, other than in the HUD 🤔

Use the left and right buttons on the left side of the steering wheel. Go left or right until you see the cog icon in the centre then press the "ok" button (between left/right) and up will pop a menu of settings to scroll through. Use the middle button ("ok") rocker up/down to press "up" once and you should see "Meter settings". Scroll down to it, press ok and the next menu should include "Meter style", press ok again and choose sporty from the list and you're done (use the "back" button - looks like a carriage return symbol - to back out or just wait and it will do it itself).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CPN said:

Use the left and right buttons on the left side of the steering wheel. Go left or right until you see the cog icon in the centre then press the "ok" button (between left/right) and up will pop a menu of settings to scroll through. Use the middle button ("ok") rocker up/down to press "up" once and you should see "Meter settings". Scroll down to it, press ok and the next menu should include "Meter style", press ok again and choose sporty from the list and you're done (use the "back" button - looks like a carriage return symbol - to back out or just wait and it will do it itself).

Ah right, think I know the issue now.

I had all the left/right/up/down thing figured out but I'm on a different meter style.

Looks like the tacho is only available with the sporty style.

Thanks, will have another play around 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, CPN said:

Just a small update before the car's first long journey tomorrow... (200 mile round trip)

Ok, got the spare wheel kit (from the old car) fitted in and new wind deflectors will be going on today. 

Colin

Does the new car have the rubber band and anchors in the side compartment for locating/holding the jack, and is the floor equipped with a threaded hole for locking the spare in place?

I’m hoping to get the repair kit removed and a spare wheel fitted in my new Excel (prior to collection), but was concerned that the above features may not have been incorporated in the latest models.

Cheers

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, dash said:

Does the new car have the rubber band and anchors in the side compartment for locating/holding the jack

No because these are part of the official Toyota spare wheel kit. However, the threaded holes that hold the cradle bolts, that you strap the jack into, are already there.

and is the floor equipped with a threaded hole for locking the spare in place?

Yes. The large styrene moulding that holds the pump and gunk is held in place by a large capped bolt which uses the same threaded hole. You'll undo that and take out the moulding and use the large capped starred bolt (comes with the kit) to hold the spare wheel to the floor (inverted - inner side up) and then, again, the large moulding that comes with the official kit to act as a level for the floor board. The moulding that will be in your car will be too big to go inside the upturned spacesaver tyre.

I’m hoping to get the repair kit removed and a spare wheel fitted in my new Excel, but was concerned that the above features may not have been incorporated in the latest models.

All the necessary holes are there but you'll need the complete official kit to do a good job. (cheaper from Toyota Direct Parts I think but check with them to make sure that all of the different elements are in the kit.)

Screenshot2024-04-06165423.thumb.png.d26fd29b3239560d55fb55c4ef6f0d6a.png

PXL_20240406_154718292.thumb.jpg.477488f1e44ba4027781f6144aa5a1f9.jpg

PXL_20240406_154746215.thumb.jpg.d57c7fc46aeecf9d69d8d3e09cf8111b.jpg

You'll also get one of these (or should do!) in all new Toyotas this year. Euro NCAP standard kit.

PXL_20240406_155034058.thumb.jpg.15a00d698bea29f6ed4a503d1bdd7581.jpg

PS. As previously said, I transferred my original kit from the Launch Edition into my new car and put all the stuff in the new car back in to the old car (whilst at the dealers in the latter case). Oh and don't forget the towing eye. It should be in the kit you get (black pouch on the left of the tyre with the jack winder and wrench). If it's not in the kit you get, you'll need to use the one in your new car. My kit had one so I transferred the new one to the old car along with the goop.

• Like 4

Thanks Colin

A really helpful post

Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CPN said:

I figured it out but I now have a dent in the steering wheel from banging my head against it 😭

There's another setting called "Dial setting", with an option of tachometer or hybrid. Changing that fixed it and the good thing is that the tacho is now present in all styles

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Dick_Dastardly said:

I figured it out but I now have a dent in the steering wheel from banging my head against it 😭

There's another setting called "Dial setting", with an option of tachometer or hybrid. Changing that fixed it and the good thing is that the tacho is now present in all styles

Ooh, I'll have to try that! 🙂

• Like 3

Got the new Bumper protector on!

PXL_20240406_174609101.thumb.jpg.a92feac2c7daf53b3f9025e29bcbbd4d.jpg

• Like 5

On 4/6/2024 at 11:56 AM, CPN said:

As usual, the dealer left the tyres pretty high all round (front: 38/38 rear: 37/37!) so I spent some time getting them down to sane levels so that the car doesn't feel like driving over a cobbled street! Whilst doing this, two things were highlighted. The TPWS is way better than on my last car in that the update process is instant (almost)  rather than having to go drive around the block for 10-20 mins before it will update.

Do you mean the update of the tyre pressure after a TPWS reset ?

The update of pressure when you were simply inflating/deflating tyres was already about real time also on previous one.

On 4/6/2024 at 11:56 AM, CPN said:

Oh, nearly forgot! I can confirm (I think) that the 130 ICE does have a balance shaft in it as it is much quieter in every mode I have heard it start up in and the car is noticeably quieter inside too so I guess they must have beefed up the insulation a bit over the Launch Edition also...

I don't think they've added a balance shaft.  Probably the new MG1 reduces ICE vibrations.

I still wonder if there hardware differences on 130 against 115 versions or are simple software settings to depotentiate the 115 version.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, RickyC said:

Do you mean the update of the tyre pressure after a TPWS reset ?

That's exactly what I meant. You still have to wait for it to finish scanning all the valves but you don't have to move the car 1" (in the way that the previous car asked...)

The update of pressure when you were simply inflating/deflating tyres was already about real time also on previous one.

Indeed and that is the same.

I don't think they've added a balance shaft.  Probably the new MG1 reduces ICE vibrations.

I'm not sure that that is true. I read a press release somewhere talking about it. I'll try and find it again.

I still wonder if there hardware differences on 130 against 115 versions or are simple software settings to depotentiate the 115 version.

Not sure what this was ^^^^^^^^^^^^ meant to mean in this sense? 

Again, I'm pretty sure that that is not true either as I read a report of how they had done a re-work on the windings of MG2 which resulted in the increased power/torque of that motor. Any increase of the power in the ICE, yes, that will probably be just a remap of the ECU...

Found one of them: (from Toyota UK Magazine)

"A new transaxle with a larger and more powerful electric motor-generator and revisions to the power control unit’s (PCU) software and hardware have raised total system output by 12 per cent, from 114bhp/85kW to 129bhp/96kW. There’s a significant hike in torque, too, with the maximum from the MG2 electric motor increased by 30 per cent across the total rev band, from 141Nm to 185Nm.

In the latter's case, in an electric motor of any kind, you can't achieve the latter without some sort of physical reconstruction... Software alone ain't going to cut it...

Edited by CPN
Addition of extract of article...
  • Like 4

I was doing 70 on the motorway today and managed to get 8 seconds Battery use out of it before it switched back to petrol.

More than I thought it would manage at that speed

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Dick_Dastardly said:

I was doing 70 on the motorway today and managed to get 8 seconds battery use out of it before it switched back to petrol.

More than I thought it would manage at that speed

I thought that that might be the effect of the extra torque uplift from MG2...

(the planned long journey today got cancelled but hopefully it'll be on Tuesday...)

• Like 3

@RickyC Not sure where you are physically but here is a similar article in Toyota Europe's newsroom site...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, CPN said:

Found one of them: (from Toyota UK Magazine)

"A new transaxle with a larger and more powerful electric motor-generator and revisions to the power control unit’s (PCU) software and hardware have raised total system output by 12 per cent, from 114bhp/85kW to 129bhp/96kW. There’s a significant hike in torque, too, with the maximum from the MG2 electric motor increased by 30 per cent across the total rev band, from 141Nm to 185Nm.

In the latter's case, in an electric motor of any kind, you can't achieve the latter without some sort of physical reconstruction... Software alone ain't going to cut it...

Surely they've modified the electic motors to add efficiency and maybe they've done something in the Battery compartment.  

But what I wonder is:  the MY2024 uses different motors/batteries only on 130 version or they use the updated ones also un 115 version simply reducing the power ( for commercial reasons ) through a different software on PCU ?

3 hours ago, RickyC said:

Surely they've modified the electic motors to add efficiency and maybe they've done something in the Battery compartment.  

But what I wonder is:  the MY2024 uses different motors/batteries only on 130 version or they use the updated ones also un 115 version simply reducing the power ( for commercial reasons ) through a different software on PCU ?

a) I'm pretty sure that the Battery is unchanged. (from what I am seeing with my test equipment and eyes on the physical unit)

b) It's possible, I suppose, but an electric motor wound and built in a certain way will produce a finite output which would be difficult to control via "software" since it would probably require extra physical equipment to effect such a power/torque reduction, adding additional cost. Why would they do that if it is just as easy to put a differently rated motor in the same housing and use the same control unit; albeit with different specs to control the new output? (and by the use of the word "control", I don't mean varying the output...)

• Like 2

That's my understanding - Same Battery, more powerful electric motor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PXL_20240408_130448388_MP.thumb.jpg.bebd9028f0cfceb858a59d0979314328.jpg PXL_20240408_130715458_MP.thumb.jpg.c74aaed61160c0ce16895f0d1b66891a.jpg

Got the new wind deflectors on... (Heko)

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, CPN said:

PXL_20240408_130448388_MP.thumb.jpg.bebd9028f0cfceb858a59d0979314328.jpg PXL_20240408_130715458_MP.thumb.jpg.c74aaed61160c0ce16895f0d1b66891a.jpg

Got the new wind deflectors on... (Heko)

Goes well with the black roof 

Never used them before, do they really make a difference?

11 minutes ago, Dick_Dastardly said:

Goes well with the black roof 

Indeed!

11 minutes ago, Dick_Dastardly said:

Never used them before, do they really make a difference?

Absolutely! Especially on a rainy day when you can still have the window(s) ajar for fresh air without water coming in...

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, CPN said:

Indeed!

Absolutely! Especially on a rainy day when you can still have the window(s) ajar for fresh air without water coming in...

Thanks, will check them out.

Was just reading that some insurers class them as a modification, along with mud flaps, and expect you to declare them. It's crazy I know...

I'll be fitting mud flaps soon anyway so will ask my insurer to make a note. Shouldn't make any difference to the premium but I want to cover my back 

• Like 1

@CPN I was watching a  French channel on the Yaris. It looks like they get heated seats and heated steering wheel. 

Does your Premiere Edition have these? 

YouTube

Euro-spec only sadly; For some reason Toyota UK didn't think the UK customer base wanted them!  :g: 

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Euro-spec only sadly; For some reason Toyota UK didn't think the UK customer base wanted them!  :g: 

We're not cool 😎 enough that we need heating up 🤔

• Haha 2

Sadly @Toyota UK  lost a potential (downsizer) customer

I (personally)  would trade-in the HUD for heated seats, but especially heated steering wheel. Hell even 16 inch wheels 

33 minutes ago, NeverConsideredToyota said:

Sadly @Toyota UK  lost a potential (downsizer) customer

I (personally)  would trade-in the HUD for heated seats, but especially heated steering wheel. Hell even 16 inch wheels 

The Cross Excel has them and they can be pre heated from the app.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links