Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Back In The Fold

chrisio

Hi all,

Just wondered if you could help me. I have a 56 Reg compressor, now my wife thinks the garage un their wisdom decided to fill it up with regular unleaded (95 octane). The car was pinking bad when I returned home from business, and had done 800 miles! I rang the garage who informed me that under no circumstances should the car be run on anything but 98 octane fuel or the warranty would be void ?(Nice of them to tell me, and fill it up with the wrong petrol!) :censor: .

Its amazing how bad the car pinked on the 95, I now have optimax in her and she is running great (At the moment)! I just wondered your experience on this one :help: ...

the engines on the compressors are kind of noisy and harsh when you have the windows down :yahoo: ...

Regards

Mark

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chrisio

• mark swift

• Bodgit

• Rinko

Top Posters In This Topic

qucik qestion my mate pointed out. interior does not have any TTE signs!? why!?

these seatts look a bit different and handbreak as well...

13_24.JPG

Mine only has the T-Sport logo on the speedo and mats. The optional leather interior should have a 'T' on the backrest.

Who owns the car in your photo, are they leather?

The seats look remakably like mine, maybe Toyota is BS-ing me ;)

No they're no BSing you... the seats in that pic are the standard cloth Taborite Fleck seats. The optional leather and alcantara has the T Sport logo embossed on the seat back

No they're no BSing you... the seats in that pic are the standard cloth Taborite Fleck seats. The optional leather and alcantara has the T Sport logo embossed on the seat back

You had me worried there :lol:

Hi all,

Just wondered if you could help me. I have a 56 Reg compressor, now, since we purchased it, my wife, in her wisdom decided to fill it up with regular unleaded (95 octane). The car was pinking bad when I returned home from business, and had done 800 miles! I rang the garage who informed me that under no circumstances should the car be run on anything but 98 octane fuel or the warranty would be void ?(Nice of them to tell me!) :censor: .

Its amazing how bad the car pinked on the 95, I now have optimax in her and she is running great! I just wondered your experience on this one :help: ...

the engines on the compressors are kind of noisy and harsh when you have the windows down, but the speed is worth it :yahoo: ...

Regards

Mark

You are quite right, in fact the handbook does say to only use high octane fuel.

The good thing is that Tesco, Sainsbury and Asda all sell super unleaded which is now actually cheaper than diesel :lol:

qucik qestion my mate pointed out. interior does not have any TTE signs!? why!?

these seatts look a bit different and handbreak as well...

13_24.JPG

Mine only has the T-Sport logo on the speedo and mats. The optional leather interior should have a 'T' on the backrest.

Who owns the car in your photo, are they leather?

The seats look remakably like mine, maybe Toyota is BS-ing me ;)

Does anyone else find the T Sport Compressor a little noisy and harsh if floored from low revs, ticky or buzzy I would say...

:blink:

noisy yes, harsh and ticky no.

all i know is when i am on the phone on my car kit and i give it a large amount of lead foot. the caller the other end always go wtf is that. have you just been overtaken by something a bit sporty. they cant quite beelieve it comes from a little toyota. :D

noisy yes, harsh and ticky no.

all i know is when i am on the phone on my car kit and i give it a large amount of lead foot. the caller the other end always go wtf is that. have you just been overtaken by something a bit sporty. they cant quite beelieve it comes from a little toyota. :D

Maybe its just mine then :eek: I am having problems with Toyota at the moment, the compressor has been pinking since new, and now has 1200 miles on it. To say the least I am not impressed, and think its always sounded a bit noisy and harsh, but that maybe me?

Has anyone else had pinking problems, I am running on V Power and its made no difference at all.

If it continues I wonder what effect it will have on my engine, Toyota have said none! Yeah right. I wonder if they will take the car back or replace it?

Bugger.

Thanks all

Mark :help:

I'm putting mine on a rolling road next month, there is a great one near Birmingham which set up my dragstrip car.

It will be interesting to see what is happening to the Compressor under load. :rolleyes:

The thing is, I figure that if the car is under warranty for three years and Toyota say it is fine then it's their money they are playing with, not mine :P

I'm putting mine on a rolling road next month, there is a great one near Birmingham which set up my dragstrip car.

It will be interesting to see what is happening to the Compressor under load. :rolleyes:

The thing is, I figure that if the car is under warranty for three years and Toyota say it is fine then it's their money they are playing with, not mine :P

I would be very interested to see the results!

I have a couple of questions:

1)When the car is cold I hear a lovely whine from the engine which is very nice indeed (Supercharger?), as the car gets warmer the noise virtually dissapears? Do you have the same noise, or is it always there, I presume its the supercharger...

I always thought new cars were no hassle.....

Thanks all

Mark

Mark,

How are you resetting the ECU? i am just wondering if because you are resetting it frequently it is not learning the average way of driving. i would leave it for a while. if there is anything wrong Toyota may start looking into the fault and be thrown off track because the ECU will look like its settings or faulty.

Just a thought.

Mark, I have only had mine a week so am still learning but I thought the supercharger has an electromagnetic clutch to stop it running at low revs so you should not hear it on tickover ;)

I'll start mine with the windows down in the morning and have a listen though :)

Mark, I have only had mine a week so am still learning but I thought the supercharger has an electromagnetic clutch to stop it running at low revs so you should not hear it on tickover ;)

I'll start mine with the windows down in the morning and have a listen though :)

Its more when moving through the low gears when cold, a real nice low whine. I also noticed that if you start the car, jump out and listen after about 4-5 seconds something else starts on the engine, seems to really drain the idle down, I always thought this was the supercharger starting to turn. Its not the AC, that makes the engine even more noisy! :blink:

The car is great. I just find it very noisy when warm, especially when you are driving with the windows down, and floor it. Its fine with the windows up, but with them down sounds very ticky when floored, silent if just creeping along at normal speeds.

Concerning the boost, do you feel a good boost at high revs? Like the normal T Sport. Mine is amazing when I reset the ECU (Disconnect battery for 30 minutes).

Don't think thats a good idea mate. Being totally honest your gonna lose the cars settings and the ecu isn't gonna know what its doing. Your best leaving it run for a 1000m see if your pinking stops if it doesn't get mr t to get off his backside and check it out. Then your ecu should have enough info in it to guide them to the precise problem.

Petrol from tesco isn't gonna help either, well the 95 ron stuff. Your best sticking in Shell v-power or super plus from any forecourt.

I worked it out the other week. I filled up my tank with normal Shell petrol £44 (to see if there is a different feel in the car, and believe me there is (V-POWER RULEZ :lol: )) anyway the extra penines to put in v-power would have made it 3.50 more expensive. To some thats expensive and i will agree partially. But imo how many times do you wanna put your car back with toyota to get it fixed for pinking and stuff. If the 3.50 is too much goto sainsburys its only about 3p more expensive for their super plus. That way you looking at about 1.50 extra on top.

(p.s I might be a wrong but in my opinion i really wouldn't touch tesco. Something ain't right with thier petrol. I haven't tried the super but i know how bad their normal 95 ron is. My old clio 1.2 used to flat spot all the time. Since then won't go near the place.)

Hope that helps!

Rolley

I find Tesco Super Unleaded ok, then again The Sainsburys Super is fine too.

It's only that they are both close by that I use them. I will not go hunting for a Shell garage, I don't think it is worth it.

I run a supercharged Ford Mustang as well and there is no difference in performance between Tesco/Asda/Sainsbury Super Unleaded against Shell or BP Super in my opinion :driving:

Concerning the boost, do you feel a good boost at high revs? Like the normal T Sport. Mine is amazing when I reset the ECU (Disconnect battery for 30 minutes).

Don't think thats a good idea mate. Being totally honest your gonna lose the cars settings and the ecu isn't gonna know what its doing. Your best leaving it run for a 1000m see if your pinking stops if it doesn't get mr t to get off his backside and check it out. Then your ecu should have enough info in it to guide them to the precise problem.

Petrol from tesco isn't gonna help either, well the 95 ron stuff. Your best sticking in Shell v-power or super plus from any forecourt.

I worked it out the other week. I filled up my tank with normal Shell petrol £44 (to see if there is a different feel in the car, and believe me there is (V-POWER RULEZ :lol: )) anyway the extra penines to put in v-power would have made it 3.50 more expensive. To some thats expensive and i will agree partially. But imo how many times do you wanna put your car back with toyota to get it fixed for pinking and stuff. If the 3.50 is too much goto sainsburys its only about 3p more expensive for their super plus. That way you looking at about 1.50 extra on top.

(p.s I might be a wrong but in my opinion i really wouldn't touch tesco. Something ain't right with thier petrol. I haven't tried the super but i know how bad their normal 95 ron is. My old clio 1.2 used to flat spot all the time. Since then won't go near the place.)

Hope that helps!

Rolley

Hi,

Its running V Power at the moment. How do you guys find the compressors power, smooth right up to the red, or flat until 6000 and then a good old boost? Just curious to know how the other compressors are running...

Mines running like a dog. Going in Monday to see Mr T... He better fix it, the noisy old bugger it is.

Mark

I was running the tesco super @ 99ron but am now running Shell vpower.

Its running V Power at the moment. How do you guys find the compressors power, smooth right up to the red, or flat until 6000 and then a good old boost? Just curious to know how the other compressors are running...

Mine is a bit slow off the start when i pull away. no more than to be expected. probably traction control kicking in a bit too. After that it is hold on tight all the way. i dont even notice the lift happening it's that smooth. Almost to the point where i am getting a bit jealous of standard t-sport owners as i would like to experience the power change @ 6000rpm.

if you are actually feeling the lift in a big way there may be something wrong. like i said before leave the resetting of the ecu otherwise Mr T wont have anything to go by if it is losing settings.

I had one of the early T-Sports when they came out and the Compressor is a completely different animal.

Where the lift effect was prominant on the old car, the supercharger seems to smooth things out so you get a continuous feed of power with a small surge up the rev range that you sometimes miss.

To be honest it seems more refined but still loads of fun :thumbsup:

I had one of the early T-Sports when they came out and the Compressor is a completely different animal.

Where the lift effect was prominant on the old car, the supercharger seems to smooth things out so you get a continuous feed of power with a small surge up the rev range that you sometimes miss.

Weird!

Just been on the phone to Mr T. They said I have 2 options, they can reset the ECU to factory settings, or 2 they can REMAP the ECU with some new settings from Toyota. When I asked him about the Rempa, he said I have no information but I have been told that there will be a CHANGE IN PERFORMANCE, I said which way i.e. decrease or increase?, he said I cannot comment on that! Is this the famous 240bhp remap I have heard of.

Me thinks I will be off to try the "no comment" remap???

Mark

Weird!

Just been on the phone to Mr T. They said I have 2 options, they can reset the ECU to factory settings, or 2 they can REMAP the ECU with some new settings from Toyota. When I asked him about the Rempa, he said I have no information but I have been told that there will be a CHANGE IN PERFORMANCE, I said which way i.e. decrease or increase?, he said I cannot comment on that! Is this the famous 240bhp remap I have heard of.

Me thinks I will be off to try the "no comment" remap???

Mark

Definitely take the chance! If you're not happy take the car back to them he he...

Yeh, go for it :thumbsup:

I can't see them having another tune for less power ;)

I have asked around about the 240bhp achieved in the Lotus Exige but nobody seems to know much about it.

Interesting if Toyota have the tune already :ph34r:

Yeh, go for it :thumbsup:

I can't see them having another tune for less power ;)

I have asked around about the 240bhp achieved in the Lotus Exige but nobody seems to know much about it.

Interesting if Toyota have the tune already :ph34r:

i asked toyota GB about having the upgrade to 240bhp after someone had said on here the dealership in Derby had done it to their car. They told me they could not upgrade the power due to the emissions and if a dealer had done this they had done it without their knowledge ad without using their software.

i would say go for it too. as if you car is running like a dog you are not going to lose anything.

Ok,

Had the car in for option 1 first, the factory reset, has made no difference. Have rang them to arrange for option 2, to be honest its put me off buying another Toyota, the dealership do not seem interested. If option 2 fails, I wonder where I stand returning the car for a refund as its been faulty since day 1, and is only 30 days old. :censor:

Just a question, how hot is your engine after a good drive, I cannot touch the top of mine its that hot, and stays hot for about an hour before I can touch it. I know the supercharger gets warm, but the top of the engine? :rolleyes:

Mark :wacko:

sorry to hear ownership is not going that well. the one thing i am confused about is normally when they reset the ecu they reflash the software back on to it. if they were doing this i would have thought they would have used the latest version ie the upgraded one.

i think your next step would be Toyota GB. explain to them what the problem is. it may be worth asking them in the first instance if there is an updated bit of software. if they reply no, your arguement could then become the dealer is messing me around and he is telling me they have new software to try. Then ask TGB if they approve of dealers lying about upgrades.

If TGB confirm there is new software they should be able to tell you what it improves. (let us know you have got me curious now)

dont take this the wrong way but i hope they tell you there is no software update as this will make them listen to your complaint more if you have now proved the dealer is lying. You will start to gain the upper hand as you have showed the dealer is not giving the service that TGB would hope they would.

i hope you get somewhere. let us know how you get on.

It is a shame this experience is putting you off Toyota :(

I have always found them to be helpful. Mind you, when I bought my last T-Sport brand new from a dealership in Nottingham they were less than interested in helping with a warranty issue.

I called Toyota GB customer relations who passed me onto another dealer, Toyota World who were more than helpful. Toyota GB called me later to make sure I was happy.

I bought the Compressor from them this time and could not fault the service.

Is there another dealer close by that you could try?

It is a shame this experience is putting you off Toyota :(

I have always found them to be helpful. Mind you, when I bought my last T-Sport brand new from a dealership in Nottingham they were less than interested in helping with a warranty issue.

I called Toyota GB customer relations who passed me onto another dealer, Toyota World who were more than helpful. Toyota GB called me later to make sure I was happy.

I bought the Compressor from them this time and could not fault the service.

Is there another dealer close by that you could try?

Ok all, the latest news.

Had a phone call from a guy at Technical in London. He said that they have had "a few compressors" back in for pinking issues. He says that everytime it has been caused by the owner/garage putting regular unleaded in the tank by mistake. He said that although I have run my tank low, then filled with Optimax twice, that there will still be traces of regular unleaded in the tank causing the car the pink, Wow, if thats the case the engine must be runnig within very fine limits... So, the car is going in on Friday for a new tank, lines and filters on Toyota's orders, yay!. It also appears that the garage has been putting premium unleaded in the car from new for test drives etc, not super, prats. The guy on the phone saids that he is 99% sure that this will cure my problems. It would be fun trying to prove the dealer has also been filling it with the wrong fuel!

He did mention they have had 2 cars returned due to owners not being happy with the new map they have for the ecu? he said that it feels very different and some people have not liked it????? They are not saying much else... I wonder...

Fingers crossed for Friday. I would say one thing. Give your car a good drive up a hill or under load, to maybe 6000rpm and then change into the next gear with immediate full pedal, listen for any signs or rattles from the engine, and just ensure yours has not got the same problem, I think they know something we do not, yet...

As for being put off Toyota, this is my second in 3 years, last being a Yaris T Sport! Fun little car, very reliable.

Thats all for now,

TC all :rolleyes:

Mark

I would say one thing. Give your car a good drive up a hill or under load, to maybe 6000rpm and then change into the next gear with immediate full pedal, listen for any signs or rattles from the engine, and just ensure yours has not got the same problem, I think they know something we do not, yet...

I will try that one, best sort out any issues early on I suppose :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links