Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Blob Watch....

Boss Hogg

Can't you rupture your tank from the pressure by doing this? Hence the reason I never fill my car anything above the first click from the pump.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Boss Hogg

• PaulGP

• zakelwe

• SJandMR2

2nd blob gone at 188.

This is like rediscovering driving again. I am thinking so hard about changing gear, coasting, do i need to accelerate just to slow down again. The most scary thing is is not taking any longer to get anywhere!

2nd blob gone at 188.

This is like rediscovering driving again. I am thinking so hard about changing gear, coasting, do i need to accelerate just to slow down again. The most scary thing is is not taking any longer to get anywhere!

He.he

Great thread.

You're right, though. It's like some sort of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder for me.

It might be because there's nothing else to look at on the Aygo dash :D

Can't you rupture your tank from the pressure by doing this? Hence the reason I never fill my car anything above the first click from the pump.

AFAIK pressure comes from gasses and with the tank filled to the brim there are nog asses to build up pressure...

On top of thet: the tank is plastic and a bit flexible, so I don't think it will do any harm; it hasn't done so for the past 18 months

anyway and with my daily use I burn up about 2,5 liters each day, so the tank isn't that full for longer periods of time...

thats the next one gone at 248. Starting to think that its not going too make that much of a difference after all!

I have tried filling my car right upto where I could see it this time and I will let you know when I lose my first blob.

one thing to check for this test - make sure your tyres are at the correct recommended pressure. It makes a massive difference !

Ok to add to this report, I filled right up to the top this time next to the edge of the filler neck. And I got 99 miles this time therefore the extra fuel after the click makes a considerable difference enough to explain the inconsistent results of everyones postings i feel.

Ok to add to this report, I filled right up to the top this time next to the edge of the filler neck. And I got 99 miles this time therefore the extra fuel after the click makes a considerable difference enough to explain the inconsistent results of everyones postings i feel.

I'd say that there were really far too many variables to compare one to the other....eg driving style, driving conditions, speed etc. The trick is to try and beat your own personal record. With the price of fuel at the moment it's definitely a worthy challenge !

I only got 68 miles from my first blob :S but my car is brand new and i only filled up until it first cut off at the pump. I am rather heavy footed and it was all inner city driving. Hopefully it will perform a little better when it is broken in and my heavy foot learns to be lighter.

I only got 68 miles from my first blob :S but my car is brand new and i only filled up until it first cut off at the pump. I am rather heavy footed and it was all inner city driving. Hopefully it will perform a little better when it is broken in and my heavy foot learns to be lighter.

I think that is the key with this car, lightening your right foot. This time sound i have been taking it very steady, 2nd to 3rd at around 25 to 30 mph, still not got the rev counter fitted yet!

For the record, still not filled it up, currently on 344, which, contrary to earlier post, is a new dan record!

Hang on, im a little confused when people say "1st blob" does this mean when you go from full until the 1st blob dissappears, or is the first blob when you knock into the second?

if so i just got 150 until when the 2nd blob dissappeared......

Hang on, im a little confused when people say "1st blob" does this mean when you go from full until the 1st blob dissappears, or is the first blob when you knock into the second?

if so i just got 150 until when the 2nd blob dissappeared......

It's til the first blob disappears from full & you're left with 5 full blobs.

All over. Got 395 out a full tank which is about 65 miles more than usual!!

Got a mpg figure of 51.

I get the feeling that when i get my aygo I will prob use two full tanks just learning how to drive it so that i get 60+MPG. And because I am a noob at driving, coasting, is this when you just take your foot off the petrol and let it gradually slow from say 50 to 10mph and then break if say i hit traffic lights, or sticking it into neutral and letting it do the same?

i have been following this thread for a while and thought that I'd join in when i next fill up . I filled up just over a week ago and i filled it until i could see it coming out a bit (i didnt mean too , wasnt watching what i was doing ) . Anywho , a week later and my first blob has gone at 96miles. I do mainlly town driving , 30mph roads with a bit of 70mph roads . This is pretty average for me . I don't know if i can let it go down to a flashing bar , happened once and i was panicking thinking the car would suddenly cut out haha

great thread btw :thumbsup:

I get the feeling that when i get my aygo I will prob use two full tanks just learning how to drive it so that i get 60+MPG. And because I am a noob at driving, coasting, is this when you just take your foot off the petrol and let it gradually slow from say 50 to 10mph and then break if say i hit traffic lights, or sticking it into neutral and letting it do the same?

When I say Coasting I mean sticking in Neutral and letting the car glide. This way the engine is just idling, when you just let it slow down the revs are still quite high and the engine is still, in effect, working. Its not the most safest form of travel as you don't have the same control over the car as you do when its in gear. Obviously when you do this down hill the car will pick up speed. I got away with a fair bit of this as I drive at stupid times of the day with very little traffic on the roads.

From when the last bar started flashing to when I filled up I say I had about 15 more miles out of it. I pass a lot of petrol stations on the way home so wasn't too concerned!!

This time round I am trying to drive the same but have a few more creature comforts - e.g. radio. So expect it to be a bit less.

It just amazed me the difference it makes when you radically change your driving. I expected a few extra miles but not 65!! I also suppose its better on the engine and car, maybe a bit counter productive on the breaks coasting to a stop but hey ho.

When I say Coasting I mean sticking in Neutral and letting the car glide. This way the engine is just idling, when you just let it slow down the revs are still quite high and the engine is still, in effect, working. Its not the most safest form of travel as you don't have the same control over the car as you do when its in gear. Obviously when you do this down hill the car will pick up speed. I got away with a fair bit of this as I drive at stupid times of the day with very little traffic on the roads.

From when the last bar started flashing to when I filled up I say I had about 15 more miles out of it. I pass a lot of petrol stations on the way home so wasn't too concerned!!

This time round I am trying to drive the same but have a few more creature comforts - e.g. radio. So expect it to be a bit less.

It just amazed me the difference it makes when you radically change your driving. I expected a few extra miles but not 65!! I also suppose its better on the engine and car, maybe a bit counter productive on the breaks coasting to a stop but hey ho.

Ok, I thought I heard them mention on top gear once that if you coasted in neutral it used a bit of petrol but if you coasted (on new engines) in gear that it used NO petrol at all :Jumpy:

From the experts...

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Driving-Driving...al-Save-Gas.htm

and surely you cannot being using NO petrol at all as you need to fuel the electrics of the car anyway wouldnt you? you surely wouldnt turn off your lights and window wipers on a wet dark night to help you save some pennies? :lol:

and we dont promote speeding on this site, I personally dont think we should be promoting coasting either as according the above experts it is illegal (hard to enforce I imagine :lol:) and from the quote from the highway code below makes reference as to why..

http://www.studydriving.com/safety-on-the-...oasting-is-bad/

am sorry I am not quite sure why I have a bug in my ***** about this but I do :lol: I hate disagreeing with people (unless its about colour or door numbers :lol2: ) but I stand by the belief that marginally reducing your mpg, which remains debatable, to the cost of safety can not be a good thing :(

SJx

I agree about the coasting in neutral - not really a good idea. I'm not an expert - but most people seem to say you use more petrol coasting out of gear rather than in. Also - rolling down hills in neutral can be fairly dangerous.

From the experts...

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Driving-Driving...al-Save-Gas.htm

and surely you cannot being using NO petrol at all as you need to fuel the electrics of the car anyway wouldnt you? you surely wouldnt turn off your lights and window wipers on a wet dark night to help you save some pennies? :lol:

and we dont promote speeding on this site, I personally dont think we should be promoting coasting either as according the above experts it is illegal (hard to enforce I imagine :lol:) and from the quote from the highway code below makes reference as to why..

http://www.studydriving.com/safety-on-the-...oasting-is-bad/

am sorry I am not quite sure why I have a bug in my ***** about this but I do :lol: I hate disagreeing with people (unless its about colour or door numbers :lol2: ) but I stand by the belief that marginally reducing your mpg, which remains debatable, to the cost of safety can not be a good thing :(

SJx

Surely there is enough power in the Battery to power lights on its own for more than a minute or two :unsure:

Surely there is enough power in the battery to power lights on its own for more than a minute or two :unsure:

good point, I forgot about the Battery :lol: am no expert at all so am not attempting to argue that point cos I really dont know, its safety aspect am just trying to get at really

SJx

All really good points. Coasting = NOT A GOOD IDEA.

The marginal petrol saving against safety is no argument.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links